Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Sims Guides - Secrets You May Not Know About

I stumbled upon this list of "secrets" in the game from Carl's Sims 4 Guide and since I'm not a huge "player" I obviously didn't know about quite a few of them. I thought I'd share it here to see if you die-hard players already knew about them and I'm the only one living under a rock. LOL

The Sims 4 Seasons: Flower Arranging Loyalty Scent

Our first secret comes from The Sims 4 Seasons. While not many scents for flower arranging do something unique, a bouquet scented with tulips does have a special effect. If you gift a Sim with a tulip-scented vase, they will be forced to be loyal to your Sim. That means they literally cannot do any romance interactions except with the person who gifted it to them for the next 3 days. It's a cool hidden buff.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
The Sims 4 Realm of Magic: Night Stalker Curse

Sometimes in Realm of Magic, when your Sim has an overcharge failure, they'll get the curse of the night stalker. This is a pretty unique curse so worth mentioning here. It's probably one of the worst. A ghostly figure will stalk your Sim, randomly scare them, and you'll have difficulty to get to sleep. Playing like this will definitely encourage you to seek a curse removal potion.
The Sims 4 Seasons: Hypercharged by Lightning

If a Sim is struck by lightning, they might die. But if they have the Storm Chaser Trait, or have Loves the Outdoors or Erratic, they might get a different outcome. On the first strike they'll get supercharged. On the second hit, they'll become hypercharged and they can summon lightning bolts when you click the ground. While they're in this state, their energy will drain a bit slower because of being Energized. While this happens so rarely it may as well not exist, you can actually get this effect from pushing the big red button on generators in Eco Lifestyle. You're rolling the dice though, so have a friend with a death flower handy!
Base Game: Fruitcake Lovers & Haters

Much like people, Sims either love or hate fruitcake. This is something that is chosen randomly when your Sim tries it for the first time. It's actually just one of a few hidden traits that exist in the game. If your Sim likes it, you've got a great meal that will never spoil. You can make your own fruitcakes once the one from the welcome wagon wears out, and keep it in your inventory to get a mood boost any time.
The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting: Grim Dolls

For players who let Sims age, there are a few ways to get your age bar down. One neat one is to use Nifty Knitting's main Knitting skill to knit up a cute little grim reaper doll. How does this help you with aging you might ask? Well, if you gift one to the Grim Reaper when they've shown up (to hopefully take someone else) it will reset the Sim's age to the beginning of the current stage.
Base Game: Relationship Labels

While they don't really do anything, the game has some funny titles for your Sims' relationships with others. For instance, you can be total opposites if friendship and romance are both fully in the red. But if you have a romance bar with a negative friendship, you'll be "Enemies with Benefits". It's not typical for this to happen on its own. You kind of have to destroy a friendship after establishing love by insulting them. If it's the other way around - high friendship and low romance - it'll be "It's Complicated".
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle - Beetle Juice

There's a new death type in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle, and how it works is pretty unique. You need beetle nuggets, so get the bug hotel from build mode and farm regular beetles. With level 10 mixology, you can make Beetle Juice. Drink 3 of these quickly, and your Sim will instantly die and become a live-in ghost. It's like the movie, just more alcoholism. You'll be like the man himself, the ghost with the most, Beetlejuice! Well, sort of.
What's really different here is there's no reaper visit, and you're a live-in ghost by default. So there's no need to move them in. This makes it the easiest way to get a ghost in your family through normal gameplay. Just need level 10 Mixology. I'll point out I was not able to get this to work with a single Sim and it worked immediately when I moved someone in. It also helps to prepare the drinks ahead in your Sim's inventory then down them all at once. Drink two at once if you like. We won't judge you.
Base Game: Movie Taste

It's really not very helpful but I know players will find it interesting that Sims actually have preferences in movies. This is a base game only feature, meaning they never added to it, but you can totally pick movies based on your Sim's traits. In general, use your gut. Most of them are very predictable. Bros and Athletic Sims are more likely to enjoy an action movie, but Evil Sims will hate family movies like a dog's journey home and gravitate more toward horror.
The Sims 4 Seasons - Power of Honey

Another secret from Seasons comes from the Bee Box. Honey is such a powerful treat that it can save Sims from freezing to death and heat stroke. That's actually not the only thing about bees that will do that. You'll find just as much protection by wearing the beekeeper's suit, because wearing it also protects you against bad weather.
The Sims 4 Get to Work - Aliens

Most players who have Get to Work will be aware of aliens, but the developers made it so that it's possible to never see them. Players who join the Scientist career will have the easiest time. See, talking to an alien, or searching for them in some way, makes the chance of alien encounters go up. You'll get alien visits, and you may get abducted. And yes, a male Sim being abducted can result in him getting pregnant with an alien baby.
The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting: Sweater Curse

If you own Nifty Knitting, beware of the Sweater Curse. If you gift a sweater to a girlfriend or boyfriend, you'll automatically get this curse and will suffer more failures in romance while losing triple the points when it does fail. So yeah, not good. This lasts about a week and can be cured if you finish the Lady of the Knits Aspiration.
Various: Helpful Shops

There are a few types of shops that offer you items that needed to be collected to find them in the past. For example, the stalls in City Living can sell you things, as can the purchase gifts option on the phone. The most crazy example is for players with Realm of Magic - with that pack, you can buy expensive produce like dragon fruits to immediately jump into high end gardening.
Dine Out & City Living - Hidden Recipes

There are a few classes of secret recipe that involve learning multiple dishes. First, there are the festivals and food stalls in City Living. Go here, eat the food, and your Sim will learn to make it at home. Another way is with Dine Out. Eating experimental foods in a restaurant you visit will let you learn to make those as well. Because of the way the Sims 4 is, you'll probably have to set up a restaurant to make that happen, though. There may also be recipes you can learn via Selvadoradian Culture Skill if you own Jungle Adventure.
Base Game - Building Hotkeys

There are a couple of handy hotkeys in build mode when it comes to getting the look you want. First, know that you are able to resize items using the left and right bracket hotkeys, great if you like the look of something but it's way too big... or if you want to replace Bob Pancakes' house with a giant toilet. The other hotkey is the + button on your numpad. Pushing this will cycle an object through its various looks, so you can see what something looks like live. Or make use of the design tool at the top of the screen. Its hotkey is 'R'.
The Sims 4 Vampires - Death Immunity

The Sims 4 Vampires' creatures of the night have a special ability to avoid certain types of death. They are totally immune to poison and death by humiliation and laughter. This makes vampires incredible for skilling up in comedy to make Sims laugh so hard they die, especially when combined with their mind powers.
The Sims 4 Seasons - Father Winter's Baby

In The Sims 4 Seasons, there is a Santa-like figure called Father Winter. If you can get him in the sack and produce a baby, you'll get the Father Winter's Baby reward trait for your kid. This... is something you might want to shoot for, but someone at Maxis doesn't know that Whims suck and made this trait reward you for finishing those mini goals. You can turn whims on in the options menu, but you will quickly find that your Sim wants stupid things.
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle - Secret Schematics

In Eco Lifestyle, you can actually learn some secret recipes on the fabricator by using the Enthuse About Fabrication interaction with other SIms. This is kind of rare as a lot of recipes are just given to you as you level up. Now, the recipes themselves aren't all that useful but it's one more little thing to teach your Sim how to make.
Base Game & Various - Hidden Areas

This is another one of those things they really, really needed more of and to make these areas a bit more interesting. There are a total of four hidden areas in the game. Two are available in the base game, Sylvan Glade is inside the big tree in Willow Creek. Forgotten Grotto is accessed with level 10 handiness in Oasis Springs' park area. There are two entrances there that lead to the same place. Outdoor Retreat has a place called the Deep Woods where you can meet a hermit and learn a special recipe if you learn the associated herbalism skill. Finally, scientists can make a portal to Sixam once they're high level which will let them collect some alien plants... on another planet that's really small. You can also get to Sixam with a fully-upgraded Rocket via the Rocket Science Skill (though it still requires Get to Work).
Base Game - Secret Social Meters

Not all socials do nothing but raise the friendship meter. A few categories of hidden meter exist that can help you to get a buff by using particular socials when your Sim's in conversation. For instance, using Share Secret and Deep Conversation will give you a Deep Connections buff. You can get another kind with Flatter and Brighten day. A last type is romantic - using flirty interactions will build up until both Sims get flirty. You've surely seen this, you just might not know about it in order to exploit it.
Base Game - Grilled Cheese Aspiration

While it wasn't originally in the Sims 4's base game, an Aspiration was added that lets you pursue the art of grilled cheese. Just eat a few sandwiches in a row and your Sim will unlock the ability to pick this on the Aspirations menu. From there, completing it will let you summon a grilled cheese at any time. It's a travesty that it's a normal quality one, after all that work toward perfection and Maxis needs to fix this.
The Sims 4 Discover University - Secret Society

It's funny that among the many unknown things, the Secret Society isn't exactly one of those, but it does exist and I'd feel weird to not include it. This 'secret' organization is visible in The Sims 4 Discover University trailer. If you have that pack, giving certain gifts to the main university statue - rare Crystals, Metals, and Baked Goods, may result in a visit later that night. You can learn some great pixie powers by being in this organization. All of these clubs will unlock clothing but the Secret Society gives you some cool powers. Unfortunately, you do not get to keep them when you leave college. Some of the powers are focused on helping with grades but are still super handy when pursuing a degree.
Base Game - Handedness(?)

When you make a Sim, a hidden trait is set that says whether they are right or left handed. While right handed people are more common in real life, it's about 50/50 in The Sims world. Using both equally, or being ambidextrous... that doesn't seem to be a thing.
Base Game - Needs Panel

This is a little one for new players. When you have the needs panel open, you can actually click the icons for energy, hunger and other needs to have the Sim try to automatically fix their problem themselves. It's based on what is around that has an interaction they can use, so sometimes they'll draw a blank. But the fact these buttons are something a surprisingly large amount of people do not notice.
The Sims 4 Vampires - Divine Drink

This is a tiny thing, but when a Vampire drinks from another Sim, there's a 15% chance that Sim will become a permanent favorite for your Sim to feed from. They'll get a Divine Drink moodlet each time they feed, which gives +2 happy in addition to the regular buff vampires get when satisfied. So you can definitely make a Sim your slave and use them for feeding every day. Just don't store them in your basement because that'd be weird.
Base Game - Snaggle Flustered

I've mentioned this a few times in other pages and videos, but Snaggle Fluster is a great drink recipe you can learn only at level 9 of the culinary career track, and picking the Mixology branch. Only Level 9. This gives you the opportunity to buy a recipe from a mysterious old person who gives you the recipe. Snaggle makes your bladder drain super fast but triples skill gains. There isn't anything special to use it, so it's quite handy. Stalling out at level 9 of Mixology is pretty easy - just don't get promoted or stop your Sim leveling their Mixology skill.
Various Expansions - Gameplay Objects

Patchy the straw man from Seasons can become a live-in gardener for you if you befriend him.

If your Sim collects crystals, you may enjoy Get Famous' celestial crystal crown, which gives you a ton of control over mood and needs based on the type of crystal you have put into the socket.

Bertie's bee box is another example, and lets you make honey. These are great objects tucked away in build mode and not connected to any skill whatsoever, so it's entirely possible to miss them.

https://carls-sims-4-guide.com/secrets.php

So How many did you guys know?

Comments

• MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Thanks for the good break down on what's featured in Carl's video. I did see the thumbnail for the video and am now I'm glad I didn't waste time watching it as these are some pretty lame secrets that add nothing interesting to the game that can motivate me to play it more often.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I knew all of them somehow 🤔
    could just be that I use google alot
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I wonder hoe many meters of text there is 🤔
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Thank you for this! I did not know about the scent of tulip, and the grim doll and betelgeuse sounds delightful; I'll try them out when next I play.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Thanks for sharing. 🙂 There were a couple I wasn't aware of.
  • amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    Thanks for sharing! At least half of these I didn’t know about, or didn’t know the full extent of.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I didn't know about the Beetlejuice drink at all :) and that one I can use.
    I need to actually finish up and play my sim that does flower arranging too there's a lot of stuff I haven't experienced there in general.
    I also never choose the Mixology route over the Chef one so now I have to do that just to get snaggle flustered.
    Sometimes guides come in handy for sure. I'd never stumble across some of these through the way I play.
    egTcBMc.png
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I stumbled upon this list of "secrets" in the game from Carl's Sims 4 Guide and since I'm not a huge "player" I obviously didn't know about quite a few of them. I thought I'd share it here to see if you die-hard players already knew about them and I'm the only one living under a rock. LOL

The Sims 4 Seasons: Flower Arranging Loyalty Scent

Our first secret comes from The Sims 4 Seasons. While not many scents for flower arranging do something unique, a bouquet scented with tulips does have a special effect. If you gift a Sim with a tulip-scented vase, they will be forced to be loyal to your Sim. That means they literally cannot do any romance interactions except with the person who gifted it to them for the next 3 days. It's a cool hidden buff.
    The Sims 4 Realm of Magic: Night Stalker Curse

Sometimes in Realm of Magic, when your Sim has an overcharge failure, they'll get the curse of the night stalker. This is a pretty unique curse so worth mentioning here. It's probably one of the worst. A ghostly figure will stalk your Sim, randomly scare them, and you'll have difficulty to get to sleep. Playing like this will definitely encourage you to seek a curse removal potion.
    The Sims 4 Seasons: Hypercharged by Lightning

If a Sim is struck by lightning, they might die. But if they have the Storm Chaser Trait, or have Loves the Outdoors or Erratic, they might get a different outcome. On the first strike they'll get supercharged. On the second hit, they'll become hypercharged and they can summon lightning bolts when you click the ground. While they're in this state, their energy will drain a bit slower because of being Energized. While this happens so rarely it may as well not exist, you can actually get this effect from pushing the big red button on generators in Eco Lifestyle. You're rolling the dice though, so have a friend with a death flower handy!
    Base Game: Fruitcake Lovers & Haters

Much like people, Sims either love or hate fruitcake. This is something that is chosen randomly when your Sim tries it for the first time. It's actually just one of a few hidden traits that exist in the game. If your Sim likes it, you've got a great meal that will never spoil. You can make your own fruitcakes once the one from the welcome wagon wears out, and keep it in your inventory to get a mood boost any time.
    The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting: Grim Dolls

For players who let Sims age, there are a few ways to get your age bar down. One neat one is to use Nifty Knitting's main Knitting skill to knit up a cute little grim reaper doll. How does this help you with aging you might ask? Well, if you gift one to the Grim Reaper when they've shown up (to hopefully take someone else) it will reset the Sim's age to the beginning of the current stage.
    Base Game: Relationship Labels

While they don't really do anything, the game has some funny titles for your Sims' relationships with others. For instance, you can be total opposites if friendship and romance are both fully in the red. But if you have a romance bar with a negative friendship, you'll be "Enemies with Benefits". It's not typical for this to happen on its own. You kind of have to destroy a friendship after establishing love by insulting them. If it's the other way around - high friendship and low romance - it'll be "It's Complicated".
    The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle - Beetle Juice

There's a new death type in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle, and how it works is pretty unique. You need beetle nuggets, so get the bug hotel from build mode and farm regular beetles. With level 10 mixology, you can make Beetle Juice. Drink 3 of these quickly, and your Sim will instantly die and become a live-in ghost. It's like the movie, just more alcoholism. You'll be like the man himself, the ghost with the most, Beetlejuice! Well, sort of.
    What's really different here is there's no reaper visit, and you're a live-in ghost by default. So there's no need to move them in. This makes it the easiest way to get a ghost in your family through normal gameplay. Just need level 10 Mixology. I'll point out I was not able to get this to work with a single Sim and it worked immediately when I moved someone in. It also helps to prepare the drinks ahead in your Sim's inventory then down them all at once. Drink two at once if you like. We won't judge you.
    Base Game: Movie Taste

It's really not very helpful but I know players will find it interesting that Sims actually have preferences in movies. This is a base game only feature, meaning they never added to it, but you can totally pick movies based on your Sim's traits. In general, use your gut. Most of them are very predictable. Bros and Athletic Sims are more likely to enjoy an action movie, but Evil Sims will hate family movies like a dog's journey home and gravitate more toward horror.
    The Sims 4 Seasons - Power of Honey

Another secret from Seasons comes from the Bee Box. Honey is such a powerful treat that it can save Sims from freezing to death and heat stroke. That's actually not the only thing about bees that will do that. You'll find just as much protection by wearing the beekeeper's suit, because wearing it also protects you against bad weather.
    The Sims 4 Get to Work - Aliens

Most players who have Get to Work will be aware of aliens, but the developers made it so that it's possible to never see them. Players who join the Scientist career will have the easiest time. See, talking to an alien, or searching for them in some way, makes the chance of alien encounters go up. You'll get alien visits, and you may get abducted. And yes, a male Sim being abducted can result in him getting pregnant with an alien baby.
    The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting: Sweater Curse

If you own Nifty Knitting, beware of the Sweater Curse. If you gift a sweater to a girlfriend or boyfriend, you'll automatically get this curse and will suffer more failures in romance while losing triple the points when it does fail. So yeah, not good. This lasts about a week and can be cured if you finish the Lady of the Knits Aspiration.
    Various: Helpful Shops

There are a few types of shops that offer you items that needed to be collected to find them in the past. For example, the stalls in City Living can sell you things, as can the purchase gifts option on the phone. The most crazy example is for players with Realm of Magic - with that pack, you can buy expensive produce like dragon fruits to immediately jump into high end gardening.
    Dine Out & City Living - Hidden Recipes

There are a few classes of secret recipe that involve learning multiple dishes. First, there are the festivals and food stalls in City Living. Go here, eat the food, and your Sim will learn to make it at home. Another way is with Dine Out. Eating experimental foods in a restaurant you visit will let you learn to make those as well. Because of the way the Sims 4 is, you'll probably have to set up a restaurant to make that happen, though. There may also be recipes you can learn via Selvadoradian Culture Skill if you own Jungle Adventure.
    Base Game - Building Hotkeys

There are a couple of handy hotkeys in build mode when it comes to getting the look you want. First, know that you are able to resize items using the left and right bracket hotkeys, great if you like the look of something but it's way too big... or if you want to replace Bob Pancakes' house with a giant toilet. The other hotkey is the + button on your numpad. Pushing this will cycle an object through its various looks, so you can see what something looks like live. Or make use of the design tool at the top of the screen. Its hotkey is 'R'.
    The Sims 4 Vampires - Death Immunity

The Sims 4 Vampires' creatures of the night have a special ability to avoid certain types of death. They are totally immune to poison and death by humiliation and laughter. This makes vampires incredible for skilling up in comedy to make Sims laugh so hard they die, especially when combined with their mind powers.
    The Sims 4 Seasons - Father Winter's Baby

In The Sims 4 Seasons, there is a Santa-like figure called Father Winter. If you can get him in the sack and produce a baby, you'll get the Father Winter's Baby reward trait for your kid. This... is something you might want to shoot for, but someone at Maxis doesn't know that Whims suck and made this trait reward you for finishing those mini goals. You can turn whims on in the options menu, but you will quickly find that your Sim wants stupid things.
    The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle - Secret Schematics

In Eco Lifestyle, you can actually learn some secret recipes on the fabricator by using the Enthuse About Fabrication interaction with other SIms. This is kind of rare as a lot of recipes are just given to you as you level up. Now, the recipes themselves aren't all that useful but it's one more little thing to teach your Sim how to make.
    Base Game & Various - Hidden Areas

This is another one of those things they really, really needed more of and to make these areas a bit more interesting. There are a total of four hidden areas in the game. Two are available in the base game, Sylvan Glade is inside the big tree in Willow Creek. Forgotten Grotto is accessed with level 10 handiness in Oasis Springs' park area. There are two entrances there that lead to the same place. Outdoor Retreat has a place called the Deep Woods where you can meet a hermit and learn a special recipe if you learn the associated herbalism skill. Finally, scientists can make a portal to Sixam once they're high level which will let them collect some alien plants... on another planet that's really small. You can also get to Sixam with a fully-upgraded Rocket via the Rocket Science Skill (though it still requires Get to Work).
    Base Game - Secret Social Meters

Not all socials do nothing but raise the friendship meter. A few categories of hidden meter exist that can help you to get a buff by using particular socials when your Sim's in conversation. For instance, using Share Secret and Deep Conversation will give you a Deep Connections buff. You can get another kind with Flatter and Brighten day. A last type is romantic - using flirty interactions will build up until both Sims get flirty. You've surely seen this, you just might not know about it in order to exploit it.
    Base Game - Grilled Cheese Aspiration

While it wasn't originally in the Sims 4's base game, an Aspiration was added that lets you pursue the art of grilled cheese. Just eat a few sandwiches in a row and your Sim will unlock the ability to pick this on the Aspirations menu. From there, completing it will let you summon a grilled cheese at any time. It's a travesty that it's a normal quality one, after all that work toward perfection and Maxis needs to fix this.
    The Sims 4 Discover University - Secret Society

It's funny that among the many unknown things, the Secret Society isn't exactly one of those, but it does exist and I'd feel weird to not include it. This 'secret' organization is visible in The Sims 4 Discover University trailer. If you have that pack, giving certain gifts to the main university statue - rare Crystals, Metals, and Baked Goods, may result in a visit later that night. You can learn some great pixie powers by being in this organization. All of these clubs will unlock clothing but the Secret Society gives you some cool powers. Unfortunately, you do not get to keep them when you leave college. Some of the powers are focused on helping with grades but are still super handy when pursuing a degree.
    Base Game - Handedness(?)

When you make a Sim, a hidden trait is set that says whether they are right or left handed. While right handed people are more common in real life, it's about 50/50 in The Sims world. Using both equally, or being ambidextrous... that doesn't seem to be a thing.
    Base Game - Needs Panel

This is a little one for new players. When you have the needs panel open, you can actually click the icons for energy, hunger and other needs to have the Sim try to automatically fix their problem themselves. It's based on what is around that has an interaction they can use, so sometimes they'll draw a blank. But the fact these buttons are something a surprisingly large amount of people do not notice.
    The Sims 4 Vampires - Divine Drink

This is a tiny thing, but when a Vampire drinks from another Sim, there's a 15% chance that Sim will become a permanent favorite for your Sim to feed from. They'll get a Divine Drink moodlet each time they feed, which gives +2 happy in addition to the regular buff vampires get when satisfied. So you can definitely make a Sim your slave and use them for feeding every day. Just don't store them in your basement because that'd be weird.
    Base Game - Snaggle Flustered

I've mentioned this a few times in other pages and videos, but Snaggle Fluster is a great drink recipe you can learn only at level 9 of the culinary career track, and picking the Mixology branch. Only Level 9. This gives you the opportunity to buy a recipe from a mysterious old person who gives you the recipe. Snaggle makes your bladder drain super fast but triples skill gains. There isn't anything special to use it, so it's quite handy. Stalling out at level 9 of Mixology is pretty easy - just don't get promoted or stop your Sim leveling their Mixology skill.
    Various Expansions - Gameplay Objects

Patchy the straw man from Seasons can become a live-in gardener for you if you befriend him.

If your Sim collects crystals, you may enjoy Get Famous' celestial crystal crown, which gives you a ton of control over mood and needs based on the type of crystal you have put into the socket.

Bertie's bee box is another example, and lets you make honey. These are great objects tucked away in build mode and not connected to any skill whatsoever, so it's entirely possible to miss them.

https://carls-sims-4-guide.com/secrets.php

So How many did you guys know?

Wow this is great! There were a few i knew but more I didnt. Thank you for this, will add to bookmark so I can keep up and refer back to this! I feel like there are about to be a few new games started for me lol.