Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS5 - Implement a Parental Pass Code?

TS4 to me is so very childish. There's so many things from the older games that were left out. I would really love it if all of that cheekiness could be brought back into the next generation. Like they're so afraid of enraging parents by including things that I'm sure 95% of kids know about today. If there was some sort of passcode that parents could input to "lock out" the more "teen and above humor and interactions" so their little ones wouldn't be scarred by the game, that would be amazing!

Another thing that would be good is a level of difficulty toggle.

TS4 is sooooo easy and dummied down which I guess is so those 7 year olds can play the game. What if we had a toggle for different levels of difficulty so those that like a more difficult game could enjoy it while keeping it simplified for the itty bitty ones too?

Just things I was thinking about, what's your thoughts?

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I was 7 years old when I played the Sims 2 and I had no issues.
    I think we have this image of kids being completely stupid, naive and almost unaware of their surroundings that they can't play and enjoy difficult games.
    I think it's very false. Many people played the Sims 2 as kids and even though we all struggled a bit from time to time in order to understand the game, it was part of the charm.

I think even 6-7 year olds are too smart for the Sims 4. It's oversimplified
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I was 7 years old when I played the Sims 2 and I had no issues.
    I think we have this image of kids being completely stupid, naive and almost unaware of their surroundings that they can't play and enjoy difficult games.
    I think it's very false. Many people played the Sims 2 as kids and even though we all struggled a bit from time to time in order to understand the game, it was part of the charm.

I think even 6-7 year olds are too smart for the Sims 4. It's oversimplified

Well I personally think so too, I know several kids who played TS2 and TS3 at ages that young. But the sims team seems to think that kids are too fragile for burglars in the game or confrontation and quite a lot of other things. That's why I said it's watered down.

But having some sort of parental control over what the game shows "young impressionable kids" would keep over-protecting parents from giving backlash to EA but allow EA to implement the more cheeky humor and behavior for older players.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I love your idea for a difficulty slider.....that would be great. Even if it was just 3 options:

- Complete Sandbox for the micromanagers

- Easy: less decisions, autonomy on, can’t get fired, promotions triple salary, nobody hates you, no jokes but poo ones, woohoo high-fives, couples that rarely touch, everything is basically free, etc.

- Hard: have to make decisions that alter the course of your day or even your life, requires more than two days showing up on-time and meeting two co-workers to get a promotion, get fired or demoted when you slack off, moxie, hard work, and/or scrappiness required to actually make money, actually affectionate with partner, don’t high-five before woohoo unless you really want to, actual humor, other Sims may think you’re a tool or a doofus, etc.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I don't think it's so much about what kids "Know" so much as how emotionally invested they'd become.

Example, Animal Crossing is rated E for Everyone and loads of kids play, but it has several depictions of full frontal human nudity in it in the form of paintings and statues.

The different is kids aren't so emotionally invested in what they are doing. I wouldn't let my 6 year old play Sims, including 4, because things like a sim that she has become invested in dying would upset her far more than a teenager. The woohoo/raunchy/drinking stuff would just go over her head anyways in the same way that the types of adult jokes Disney throws into kids shows does, and aren't really the problem.

I also think that adding those kind of things in shouldn't be a problem for people with young kids cuz the game is rated T, not E anyways. Kids age 6 to 7 shouldn't be playing regardless with that rating so it doesn't need to cater to them.

That being said, I'm glad Sims 4 left it out for me, not my kids sake haha! The kind of partying/raunchy/drinking type humour never amused me. I didn't start playing until I was 19 and it felt more like younger teen humour to me and a bit immature lol. I always thought of maturity more as going to work on time, paying the bills, raising the kids right etc haha! Just a difference of interests I know now, but a toggle would be great for those that want it in and those that don't.

Same with difficulty levels. Imo, the more toggles the better! Toggles for everything that CAN be toggled would be a smart idea from EA! Especially if they can be toggled on and off without restarting the game each time!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like the idea of having parental control and a difficulty slider. However I am not sure if that would help because I suspect the reason why the sims4 feels childish are because of the decisions that the team makes. Especially those in high positions.

I think a change in management could maybe help if you wanted to see some changes in that area. I suspect that younger people might be more interested in making changes like that and make decisions that are more appealing to people who want a challenge.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is a very good suggestion.

I would very much appreciate if the game were more mature, that is, less silly, seen from the context I am in - not american conservative; where things like birth represented by a spinning animation is bordering on offensive in its silliness (TS3); or that sims gossiping about eachother limits the amount of love partners they can have - based on a nuclear structure to begin with.

There are of course lots of initiatives to loosen this up within the gameplay additions, like the Free Love NAP from Eco-Living; but what political climate that has got power over this game series' direction is clear.

Other games have difficulty levels and if it were possible to do such a thing in the sims without too much resources it would certainly be appreciated as well. I don’t mind the game being simple though, it has got a lot of features speaking for it, that makes up for the lack of challenge.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    No thank you to Sims 5.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    What I worry about is if it's buggy, the more difficult or more adult stuff might show up in the easier more kid friendly settings. Bugginess in The Sims games are not unheard of.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    No thank you to Sims 5.

It's inevitably coming! Muahahaha

Also yes. A parental control would be better for the parents than the children honestly.
    Parents are way too worried their kids are going to think sims dying are real or develop anxiety from burglars and what not. But like I said we underestimate kids. Remember how you were at 6 or 7, you could understand if something is real or fiction. Especially in the digital age, kids are smart.
    Also anxiety is far more likely to be triggered when you already have emotional trauma than out of the blue. And if kids live in a safe environment things like Sim mental breakdowns or crying like in the Sims 2 won't trigger fear, because they feel safe.
    An adult who has some emotional trauma is mich more likely to get anxiety from seeing Sims have mental breakdowns (I noticed due to personal experience).

This also explains why adults go out of their way to protect kids from seeing things that might be damaging, because the parents themselves are afraid and anxious and think the kid will feel the same way.
    But kids are fearless and can handle a little game about life.

Parents need to work on themselves and realize why virtual people dying, being ill or having mental breakdowns makes them uncomfortable or anxious. Maybe there is an underlying problem they need to solve with a therapist. That's not EAs problem. That's theirs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I love your idea for a difficulty slider.....that would be great. Even if it was just 3 options:

- Easy: less decisions, autonomy on, can’t get fired, promotions triple salary, nobody hates you, no jokes but poo ones, woohoo high-fives, couples that rarely touch, everything is basically free, etc.

- Hard: have to make decisions that alter the course of your day or even your life, requires more than two days showing up on-time and meeting two co-workers to get a promotion, get fired or demoted when you slack off, moxie, hard work, and/or scrappiness required to actually make money, actually affectionate with partner, don’t high-five before woohoo unless you really want to, actual humor, other Sims may think you’re a tool or a doofus, etc.

No, it needs to be taken further than that.
    We need sliders for different aspects of gameplay, not a bulk easy vs hard.

Imo, the more toggles the better! Toggles for everything that CAN be toggled would be a smart idea from EA! Especially if they can be toggled on and off without restarting the game each time!
    This is how I feel about it.
    More toggles means more options, and more individuality.

Perhaps there could be a password protected master toggle, to switch to "nothing bad ever happens, lots of fart jokes, no woohoo" To tone it all down to a 'kid safe' version, or switch back to the "user toggles everything" version.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I disagree with it all.

I also disagree with letting 6 year olds play these games. It's teen rated or was. I don't know what TS4 is rated.

Now, Parents... it's rated Teen. Let them make some Sims and monitor them, but 6? Nope. You might not be dumb at 6 (mostly) but you are naive and most of the game goes past, you just like cartoon jokes.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,835 Member
    edited September 2020
    Nevermind
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    I wasn’t even 10 when I first started playing the Sims. It’s a rated teen game and I don’t think they should have to start putting parental locks on certain features of the game; parents who allow their kids to play a teen game should understand that there will be cheekiness and references to things an elementary schooler might not need to know. It’s like expecting a Rockstar game to tone down anything of violent or sexual nature.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited September 2020
    Besides, putting everything behind a parental lock feels like it’ll inevitably lead to a hot coffee incident, even if there’s no such content. The Sims 2 already risked a run-in, and these accusations were just wrong.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

No, it needs to be taken further than that.
    We need sliders for different aspects of gameplay, not a bulk easy vs hard.

Imo, the more toggles the better! Toggles for everything that CAN be toggled would be a smart idea from EA! Especially if they can be toggled on and off without restarting the game each time!
    This is how I feel about it.
    More toggles means more options, and more individuality.

Perhaps there could be a password protected master toggle, to switch to "nothing bad ever happens, lots of fart jokes, no woohoo" To tone it all down to a 'kid safe' version, or switch back to the "user toggles everything" version.
    That but no fart jokes haha! Or make them separate. Hate what they call toilet humour where I am lol!

A nothing bad ever happens though.. Forget the kiddos I want that one on my own game! Lol!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think if Maxis wants to sell kiddie games they should bring out MySims 2.0 and leave The Sims alone and stop making it so easy and kid friendly. Sims don't die in TS4 because someone might cry? That sort of mindset has watered down TS4 so much I prefer the older games with more risks. I'm an adult and even if Sims die in a game by my silly mistake or just by chance, it's a pixel, I think I can deal.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ehh... I really don't see a problem with a child playing any of the sims games. My now 6yr. old nephew used to watch me play ts3 all the time when he was younger and his older brother (now 11yr.) did before him with no problems. I even occasionally let then play for short periods of time. Many sims died over that time and they didn't find it scary or upsetting. Not saying that some children wouldn't be, just saying my nephews weren't. I think they had it right with the previous games on how much they did and didn't show. I think most of the more adult stuff either went over their heads or they just weren't interested in it at the time. They even now have a copy of the game themselves and give me updates on their sims when they visit. Ts4 is definitely too watered down for my taste and I don't think it needs parental codes.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't think it "needs" parental codes either, but I think that EA has played it too safe with TS4, removing anything remotely teen or above. I just want it to be like how it used to be and was trying to think of something that would allow the more adult, cheeky humor to come back without causing EA to get irate parents hounding them. In my opinion a "Teen" rated game, is just that ..... a game that has humor or situations appropriate for teen and above. But, I feel like EA has made TS4 so childish so that much younger children's parents allow them to play.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I don't think "Parents" are what EA worries about.
    My opinion - it's about their ratings for Teen and I expect they wanted to go for younger players. The money is in New players. Why go after players they already have hooked? A Lot of Simmers buy even if they don't care about the expansions- I've been reading. I even did it for just a few things in Expansions. :)

I don't expect the Sims to go back to it's humor of The Sims days. That was so fun ~ which we all know there wasn't any woohoo until an expansion. Which one? I don't remember. :lol:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I don't think "Parents" are what EA worries about.
    My opinion - it's about their ratings for Teen and I expect they wanted to go for younger players. The money is in New players. Why go after players they already have hooked? A Lot of Simmers buy even if they don't care about the expansions- I've been reading. I even did it for just a few things in Expansions. :)

I don't expect the Sims to go back to it's humor of The Sims days. That was so fun ~ which we all know there wasn't any woohoo until an expansion. Which one? I don't remember. :lol:

I might have forgotten that, lol, but you are right, I think TS1 Sims had to wait on that heart bed if I remember it correctly can't remember which EP.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.