Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS2UC For sale in Online Stores?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited September 2020 in The Sims 2
It is a digital download, how is that even possible on well known sites that sell stuff?

Has EA sold their rights to it?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Cinebar

I have seen sites on the internet offering the sims 2 series sometimes and occasionally described as the ultimate collection as well but i am not sure any of it is legal and would not personally try it myself. I know some players have stated they feel when EA stops supporting a sims series they feel they are legally allowed to download the game from the internet for free at that point. I am not sure if that is legal either.

As far as I know the only legal ways to play S2 presently is by purchasing the reduced series on a Mac or buy the discs. I have never used the discs but have the disc series tucked away in case I ever need to go that route. I just checked on Amazon UK and they are still selling the base game disc new for £29.99 under the EA brand name.

The S2 version for Mac is also being sold on Amazon used version under the name Aspyr for just over £7. The S2 Mac version of the game is being sold in the Mac Apple Store as the Sims 2 Super Collection under the brand name of Aspyr Media, Inc for £28.99 and according to current posts this version of the game on Mac is still being sold so i can only assume EA made some sort of deal with Apple as opposed to them selling the whole rights to the full series?

pleasantsims has a warning on her website about buying the sims 2 ultimate collection as apparently anyone advertising it for sale are hacking actual Origin accounts that contain the ultimate collection series so that is defo illegal.

I also found this Question & Answer on a legal site:

Q Is it illegal to download games that are no longer sold?

A game you can't buy anymore is still the property of the company that created the game. They reserve the right to not sell that game or print more copies of it even if that's what people want. ... When you download a game that someone else has bought and made a copy of, you haven't paid for the rights of owning a copy.

The other reason I doubt EA would never legally sell any series of the sims games is I am assuming this would open up the flood gates for some sort of real competition legally.

Sorry it was a long winded answer but your question intrigued me and I had to go and see if I could find anything out :)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    As far as I know EA has not sold their rights to TS2UC I know mac has the super collection that can be bought but if there's a well known site selling a code to TS2UC than it must be from a 3rd party seller as I know some well known store site's allow 3rd party sellers. It might be better to call the store and ask about it before purchasing as I known TS2UC isn't being sold by EA anywhere and like SPARKY1922 stated could be a stolen account with TS2UC on it. Just look it over carefully and talk to someone at the store if you can before purchasing.

If your looking to get the sims 2 it be better to buy the disc if you can find them.

Happy Simming :D
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I've mentioned this several times and I think I might have to make a thread about it.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection has never been for sale. It was made to be given out for free and no such thing as a "for sale" version was ever released, not even on Origin.

Any site that sells Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is a fraud. Most of the times you pay and receive nothing and sometimes they give you the passwords of stolen Origin accounts with the game on them.

Anyone who is trying to purchase Sims 2 UC from online, don't do it. It's a scam!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've mentioned this several times and I think I might have to make a thread about it.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection has never been for sale. It was made to be given out for free and no such thing as a "for sale" version was ever released, not even on Origin.

Any site that sells Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is a fraud. Most of the times you pay and receive nothing and sometimes they give you the passwords of stolen Origin accounts with the game on them.

Anyone who is trying to purchase Sims 2 UC from online, don't do it. It's a scam!

Thank you. I just couldn't imagine how these sites could be offering a legit keycode and be violating those sites own rules about fraud.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.