Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you believe sims in 4 more or less lively than past games?

2...Next

Comments

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't remember Sims 2 game play at all.

I've been playing the Sims 3 a bit lately and for me I'm finding that the sims seem way less lively than the sims in the Sims 4 are socially. I've only played for a few weeks and with one family though so it could possibly be their traits that make it seem this way. My two sims never seem to engage in conversations with each other autonomously despite living in the same house, being married and having children together. The general autonomy is far better in the Sims 3 though in the activities they choose to do. They sit to watch TV, they take good care of their young children and various other things that Sims 4 sims are to dumb to do.

My sims in the Sims 4 are always engaging on conversations. They choose to do activities more but I'm not really sure this is a good thing or not. Overall I enjoy how lively the Sims 4 sims are despite them being to dumb to do normal things like sitting down most of the time.

@Sharonia thats kinda strange, cuz if there's one thing I hate the most in SIms4 is that my sims disrespect my orders all the time if there's a baby/toddler in the household. Like, sometimes I want the mother to take car of the baby this time, but before she arrives there the rest of the family member are all there screaming to me that someone is blocking them to take care of the baby first. It feels too robotic, like... everyone checking the baby/toddler all the time and at once.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    More lively - yes
    Whether they do anything of consequence - that's up for debate.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like sims 4 sims better
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    When it comes to Sims’ AI behaviors, I think Sims 2 is best, but Sims 3 is great as well.

I like elements of Sims 4’s Sims, and love the return to their cutesy goofy natures (which reminds me of Sims 1 and 2), but their AI is so lacking compared to past gameswhen it comes to reacting to events, being affected by said events (or having consequences for said events), and remembering said events.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I get more people at community lots in TS4 than I ever did in TS3, I'll say that much.

How many Sims show up on community lots in the other three was based on your CPU. TS4 is coded to make around 20 Sims in and around the area. I bet you no longer get all the 20 they promised when it was released. I noticed over four years ago some lots don't get as many Sims out and about anymore in TS4 and as a lonely place in TS3.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    it's less lively. in ts4 items barely have interactions it's all mostly decor, and the few interactions they have are usually reused animations, which immediately quits the hype of using new items. sims feel like a separated entity from their world, they can barely interact at all with anything because their options are very limited.
    in ts4, you have to micromanage everything, all your sims do for themselves is dance, take glasses of water, play blic bloc, do push ups or stand still smiling at the wall, over and over again.
    people i know who used to play the sims aren't even interested in ts4 anymore. plenty of gaming youtubers have tried to play hyped the sims 4 perhaps once or twice after realizing how different, limiting and dull it is in comparative to past sims games.
    the sims 2 and 3 were way more ambitious for their time and now that the game has the possibility to be what sims 2 aimed to be, it downgrades.
    also like some people said, past sims games researched their AI by consulting professionals and by getting inspiration from books/movies. it seems that the sims 4 AI was researched on tumblr.
    i get that ts4 gameplay is easier and controlling everything might be someone's cup of coffee however it ain't mine and it ain't the one for many other players. devs keep saying how they want to adapt the game for everyone well then how about making gameplay the old school way as well?
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    They feel a lot more lively in The Sims 2 and 3. The Sims 2 is the liveliest and it goes without saying, with all of the interactions and animations, but I think there’s a lot in the Sims 3, too. In my saves, Sims are always out on the town or interacting with each other, getting together at the park. My household was a single mother and her son; they were always interacting each other. They always rolled wishes to spend time with friends and family or grow and change as Sims. Sims will almost always go to sit next to each other. Just reading together without talking to each other gives them a relationship boost. If neurotic sims freak out, the sims around them will be startled or worried. I think there’s a lot of liveliness there, but it’s all much more subtle.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Very much less lively, boring, even. It's primary use for me is something to do when brain is too fried from long hard day a work to handle anything requiring thought but it's too early for bed. TS2 is best by far, with 3 a close second.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    I love any Sims game that doesn't automatically make Sims friends or BFFs. That should be left up to me, the player. As in life, so in my game. Every relationship is not created equal. That applies to familial relationships as well. However, with TS4, the distinction between relationships is near impossible. Given a brief amount of time, everyone trends toward the positive.

IIRC, in TS2 and TS3 (probably TS as well, but I don't remember that game as clearly), Sims had to work to maintain their relationships. For me, that was part of the attraction of the game. Lovers and BFFs felt more special. It took time to get there and it required continued effort to make the relationships work.

In TS4, nothing felt special. A Sim that you met once can call you up ("How the heck did you get this number?!") and ask you out to the Bluffs or to wherever. Strangers will knock on your door and since CL, they'll let themselves in. Complete strangers will also bust up a date or a family outing simply because they can. Most aggravating is that my Sims aren't even provided with an irritated "Excuse me!" interaction to let them know that their intrusion is unwelcome and to go away. On the contrary, the Sims don't react to the intrusion at all -- unless it's to make room for the third, fourth, and fifth wheels that just crashed their date. "The more the merrier!"

TS4 is constantly on autopilot. I prefer more control over how relationships develop, how my Sims socialize, and with whom.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    How many Sims show up on community lots in the other three was based on your CPU. TS4 is coded to make around 20 Sims in and around the area. I bet you no longer get all the 20 they promised when it was released. I noticed over four years ago some lots don't get as many Sims out and about anymore in TS4 and as a lonely place in TS3.

I noticed that as well. I wonder what changed and why? Exactly as I did with TS3, I need a mod in TS4 in order to tell the game to add more Sims to a lot. You'd think that with closed lots, sparse crowds wouldn't be an issue. On a related note: the Sims that the game pulls are always from other cities.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    This isn't at all what I expected by the title of this thread. The Sims in Sims2 were quite lively and not just with a voodoo doll. (I'm not into the occult, so I don't use it). The Sims in Sims3 weren't anything at all like the Sims2. Instead, they stomped around and didn't even converse at the dinner table (at least not in my game). When I first got the base game for Sims4, (and I almost canceled my pre-order once the announcement was made toddlers wouldn't be in it) I also decided that if the Sims, themselves, didn't act lively on their own, I wouldn't spend another red cent on this game. I was 'done'. That is the type of lively I thought you were talking about. Not a reaction to torture, although it does bother me to learn the Sims don't react to it in Sims4 …

@GalacticGal In my games they always chat at the dinner table, literally always, and it was the same in Sims 1 too. And when they watch TV together they always talk to each other aswell. There must be something very unusual with your game and/or installation if these basic interactions are/were missing altogether.

Luckily the Voodoo doll can be used for good purposes too, not only torture. :)

MkzdQTp.png

y9OGmYk.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited September 2020
    Mine yack at the dinner table all the time and it's not pointless conversations either. If you have "hideheadlineeffects off" or the default game state where your sims have the gauge showing, you'll see their friendship meter rise or plus signs pop up over their head as they interact with each other. So no...TS4...you're not the first one to have conversations while "eating".

My games always have hideheadlineeffects on because I'm more interested in pursuing my story-line than seeing what the interactions are doing gauge wise.
    Screenshot-33.jpg
    And they don't take two hours eating either while conversing.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the Sims’ AI (in terms of personality and reaction) is sooo much better in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Even Sims 1 has somewhat decent AI.

All Sims games have a few actions they just love spam a lot. Sims 4 just seemed to increase this spamming a bit more often for more objects. My Sims 2, 3, and 4 Sims all loved technology (and the pools) a bit too much, and Sims 3 sims were loving the water slides a ton, and I was super annoyed with my Sims 3 fairies being obsessed with that stupid fairy house! (Why do all of my fairies keep partying in that house so much, gaaah???!!!)

All Sims games have their quirks, and folks have their own pet peeves for whatever games, but I think Sims 4 has programming or calibration issues regarding the reaction and personality and memory of their AI.

I still love Sims 4, but the AI is just much better in older games.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • deedles64deedles64 Posts: 149 Member
    > @ClarionOfJoy said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > A lot of people have newer computers though so lag isn't as much an issue as it used to be. That's why sales for TS3 are still doing well to this day. The computers nowadays finally caught up with it.

exactly! I saved my hard earned dollars so I could buy a gaming laptop so I could play Sims 3!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited September 2020
    if by you mean lively is holds true to real life behaviour, then The Sims 4 is less lively than the previous games, it's pretty unrealistic for every sims to gravitate toward each other whether they know the other sims or not, when my sims is enjoying alone time eating food from nearby foodstand in the sims 4 the strangers just all of a sudden join your table and talk to you, in previous game like sims 3, my sims and his bestfriend eating in the same table, and stranger came in taking food from my table that someone grilled in neighborhood grill a thon but the stranger didnt eat it in the same tablea as my sims, the stranger chose another table because he and my sims didnt know each other.

I also happen to notice that eventhough im playing loner sims in sims 4, when left to his own device he always engaging in a conversation with someone (stranger or not). autonomously.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    if by you mean lively is holds true to real life behaviour, then The Sims 4 is less lively than the previous games, it's pretty unrealistic for every sims to gravitate toward each other whether they know the other sims or not, when my sims is enjoying alone time eating food from nearby foodstand in the sims 4 the strangers just all of a sudden join your table and talk to you, in previous game like sims 3, my sims and his bestfriend eating in the same table, and stranger came in taking food from my table that someone grilled in neighborhood grill a thon but the stranger didnt eat it in the same tablea as my sims, the stranger chose another table because he and my sims didnt know each other.

I also happen to notice that eventhough im playing loner sims in sims 4, when left to his own device he always engaging in a conversation with someone (stranger or not). autonomously.

Precisely.

TS4 Sims are more garrulous, for sure. But lively? Nah.

Liveliness would require their coding to be much more complicated. Up to now, that type of coding simply doesn't seem to exist.

For me, TS4 Sims are unforgivably robotic in comparison to their predecessors. They have no internal life. They are ruled by external objects which tell them how to feel and when to feel it. As well, TS4 Sims' interests and behaviors are more dependent on the venue that they're visiting than on their personalities or even something as foundational as their physical needs.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2020
    The sims in Sims 4 talk way too much for my taste and the sims in Sims 3 too little. I am yet to come to a decision which one annoys me most. Either way, they never turn off the plum stereo.