Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you believe sims in 4 more or less lively than past games?

KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
Yes, I know everyone says not to compare Sims 4 to past games, but after watching this video, I couldn't help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03wpOVjZTQY

I didn't know voodoo dolls existed in the series. Anyway, one thing that's extremely noticeable is in games 1 - 3, the victim of the dolls react to when it's used on them. But in 4, the victim reacts like they're unbothered, if they react at all. And the effects are just buffs/moodlets, which don't do anything (Have those ever mattered? Yes, that's a sincere question).

I remember one of the common complaints about Sims 3 is the game was more about the world than the sims. I feel like that may the case for 4 too.
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 2 beats them all, it was very advanced for it’s time.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing the games. Those threads are posted in the Sims Franchise Forum.

And I agree with @SheriSim57.
  • keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    In part I think it depends on how you play the game. I know that I'm not adept at generating drama in my game, so I've lost some interest lately and I've been watching Youtubers who keep their games lively and fun.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Now I do since 2018-2020 it's become more lively, to the point where sometimes I need to control some of my sims from dying of something dumb.
    2014 was just plain dead.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't remember Sims 2 game play at all.

I've been playing the Sims 3 a bit lately and for me I'm finding that the sims seem way less lively than the sims in the Sims 4 are socially. I've only played for a few weeks and with one family though so it could possibly be their traits that make it seem this way. My two sims never seem to engage in conversations with each other autonomously despite living in the same house, being married and having children together. The general autonomy is far better in the Sims 3 though in the activities they choose to do. They sit to watch TV, they take good care of their young children and various other things that Sims 4 sims are to dumb to do.

My sims in the Sims 4 are always engaging on conversations. They choose to do activities more but I'm not really sure this is a good thing or not. Overall I enjoy how lively the Sims 4 sims are despite them being to dumb to do normal things like sitting down most of the time.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'd say more lively in 4, but better animations in 2 that make them look more alive haha

I haven't watched the video, but I don't see anything wrong with comparisons. And I Have no opinions on the voodoo dolls as I don't use them i any version. Do they work similar to the blessings/cursings statues from the jungle?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Wow! What a comparison of animations and reactions! That was awesome! (but also sad to see how much more effort was put into older games). I definitely think TS4 is more lacking in the livelihood area compared to the other iterations. I get the feeling TS4's motto is "Less is More" .... LESS visually showing and MORE mentally imagining".
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I've been playing the Sims 3 a bit lately and for me I'm finding that the sims seem way less lively than the sims in the Sims 4 are socially. I've only played for a few weeks and with one family though so it could possibly be their traits that make it seem this way. My two sims never seem to engage in conversations with each other autonomously despite living in the same house, being married and having children together. The general autonomy is far better in the Sims 3 though in the activities they choose to do. They sit to watch TV, they take good care of their young children and various other things that Sims 4 sims are to dumb to do.

From The Sims 1 to The Sims 3 the Sims in a house do engage in autonomous conversations with each other while they are doing other interactions, those aren't queued interactions, the Sims just do them automatically and thay may gain or lose Relationship from them, you have to pay attention to the individual Sims to notice those things though.

That to me is the biggest difference of the previous iterations, the animations in the game actually do provide information about what's happening instead of having to look at the HUD to understand how your Sims are doing.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

From The Sims 1 to The Sims 3 the Sims in a house do engage in autonomous conversations with each other while they are doing other interactions, those aren't queued interactions, the Sims just do them automatically and thay may gain or lose Relationship from them, you have to pay attention to the individual Sims to notice those things though.

That to me is the biggest difference of the previous iterations, the animations in the game actually do provide information about what's happening instead of having to look at the HUD to understand how your Sims are doing.

It could possibly be my fault that my Sims 3 sims don't seem to interact that much. I might just be keeping them to busy and also they have a baby and toddler. :D
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    This isn't at all what I expected by the title of this thread. The Sims in Sims2 were quite lively and not just with a voodoo doll. (I'm not into the occult, so I don't use it). The Sims in Sims3 weren't anything at all like the Sims2. Instead, they stomped around and didn't even converse at the dinner table (at least not in my game). When I first got the base game for Sims4, (and I almost canceled my pre-order once the announcement was made toddlers wouldn't be in it) I also decided that if the Sims, themselves, didn't act lively on their own, I wouldn't spend another red cent on this game. I was 'done'. That is the type of lively I thought you were talking about. Not a reaction to torture, although it does bother me to learn the Sims don't react to it in Sims4 …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 sims are definitely more manic, but I don't think they are more active as they also have long periods staring blankly because of lag or whatever cases that, whatever it is, its definitely worse than 2 and 3 But the quality and variety of animations is definately better in Sims 2.

EDIT Also, In 2 and even 3 you very rarely saw 2 or 3 sims doing the same animation in sync, but it happens all the time in 4
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sims 2 felt the most true to life for me. They actually consulted psychologists and other professionals when developing it and it shows. Sims 4 they admitted not consulting psychologists.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    The Sims in Sims3 weren't anything at all like the Sims2. Instead, they stomped around and didn't even converse at the dinner table (at least not in my game).

https://youtu.be/L3Lu8eLZ4ec?t=408

6:48 in case time-stamping doesn't work.

This feature exists ever since the very The Sims game, multi-tasking is not new to The Sims 4 at all, of course depending on your playstyle you might never notice because in The Sims 1/2/3 the Sims actually need to be near each other and know each other to trigger this behavior, unlike The Sims 4 where complete strangers will walk down from the border of the map to talk to your Sim while he is eating which is the main reason musical chairs exist. (I have to use a mod to stop NPCs from starting autonomous conversations with active Sims)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Sims 2 sims were muuuuuch better than the Sims 4.
    I play that game often and last time I threw a house party at the Smith residence in Strangetown.
    The first few SECONDS after the Sims arrived they had already spread around the house finding things and sims to interact with.
    I immediately paused the game to Sims talking, arguing, dancing by the stereo, getting food from the buffet hosts greeting guests at the door etc. all on their own.
    I wish I had taken a screenshot of that, it was honestly just like those gameplay trailers for the game (that are usually set up and not real) but it was real!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    Threads like this are so fun because for one it makes it very clear we are not all the same "type" of simmers ..i hated sims 2 where i had to follow the whims to keep my sims happy ..i would push to get to platinum to be free of that ....i prefer to be the voice of what personality my sim is and if there is going to be any consequences ...my sim could go from riches to rags very quickly but ...i decide that ..and i know lots of folks hate playing like that ....the sims 4 is my dream game ..what would be nice is if playing an older version was super easy ..i am not tech savvy and have no idea how to put the older games on the newer pc op...i could use an older pc i have to play the sims 3 ..i liked that version for myself personally but so many folks had terrible issues with it ...this is an interesting thread to read. I feel like the sims 4 is as lively as i love it to be.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    ..i hated sims 2 where i had to follow the whims to keep my sims happy ..i would push to get to platinum to be free of that ....i prefer to be the voice of what personality my sim is

@wickichick But that's the thing with the Sims 2. You decide what personality your sims are going to have and they act accordingly.
    In the Sims 4 you can decide on your sims personality but they won't act like it at all. They won't really do anything, you have to force them.
    But yeah point is. In the Sims 2 it's still you who decides on the personality and have control over it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Can't speak for 2 but I think the sims are more lively in 4 than 3. The sims in 3 were all so bland and uninteresting and they didn't really do much, Sims in 4 are much more quirky and interesting to watch
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    If you call their plethora of Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks" more livelier...then perhaps.

My opinion. Monty Python did it better.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Personally in thought sims 3 was the best for in-depth gameplay. Sims 4 is great for low level easy gameplay which personally I prefer but sims 3 had the whole package of open world, gameplay and versatility with create a style it’s only downside was the huge lag
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Personally in thought sims 3 was the best for in-depth gameplay. Sims 4 is great for low level easy gameplay which personally I prefer but sims 3 had the whole package of open world, gameplay and versatility with create a style it’s only downside was the huge lag

A lot of people have newer computers though so lag isn't as much an issue as it used to be. That's why sales for TS3 are still doing well to this day. The computers nowadays finally caught up with it.

• popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Omg what a case in point. Just the thought-work required to get a voodoo doll in TS2 is leaps and bounds above TS4. Also a great example of how the lazy moodlet business is a fallback for lack of gameplay!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    As far as Sims being alike from one iteration to the next, I think TS1 Sims are more like TS3 Sims and TS4 Sims are more like TS2 Sims. For example: In TS1 Sims don't auto have a higher relationship with their counter parts in a household. You have to work really hard (not much autonomy) to build up a relationship. You also have the same situation in TS3. Someone pointed out TS3 Sims don't autonomously engage in conversations as much as the others nor do TS1 Sims. Also, TS3 Sims don't build relationships easily without a lot of player input. Sims in the same household (even family) can go for several Sim years without ever building up their relationships without players pushing them to do that, and still be aquaintenances. So, TS1 is much the same in that respect, too.

Also, TS3 Sims and TS1 Sims tap their toes waiting for someone to move out of their way, it can be annoying in Maxis built premade homes, not so bad, but bad enough in player built homes in 1 and 3. It's almost like they went back to TS1 AI in TS3 sometimes.

TS2 Sims seek out others to tell a joke or admire or whatever, (a lot of choices in that bag of tricks) so do TS4 Sims. But there is a difference, we know why TS2 Sims do this, and the reasons are legit, such as low social, or strong attraction, and or low motives such as fun, (play catch or swing around or whatever) or even in a very grumpy, bad mood, but none of it makes sense in TS4. It's all willy nilly. Your Sim in TS2 is intuitive, they know who has low fun, who has low social and even though they may be almost full of those things they will go to another to fullfill those things for them. But once they are full they stop. Even if the other Sim isn't. Smart AI. They tried to help out but now need to go do something else.

Clearer picture, TS2 Sims are coded to show up if it's necessary to be compatible with your Sim or to be incompatible and start chaos. TS4 has no such coding. TS2's AI is smarter, because you know this or that Sim would be more compatible (for whatever reasons) based up on zodiac signs (like TS1) and why the game may have sent them by your Sim's house and or if they would become an enemy. Walkbys and those Sims who show up on community lots are not willy nilly the game has a much smarter AI.

By willy nilly I mean random, madeup reasons in TS4.

1. Because you haven't queued up anything for a Sim to do in TS4 so they go seek out to talk to anothef Sim (making them seem more lively) but they don't need social, not attracted to the other Sim, don't have a family relationship and have a wish to be with them or talk to them etc., nor do they even have a buff or mood to make them seek out another Sim in 99% of cases. So, it's not making sense to a player when they leave the dinner table full of other Sims they can have a conversation with, only to go hug a stranger, even if they don't have a whim to go hug a stranger. That's all willy nilly. Some think TS4 Sims are more lively and they are compared to TS1 and TS3, however, it's all random coding that doesn't make sense to a player who understand this stuff and can't be dazzled with lame reasons, because what the difference is TS2 has reasons, TS4 doesn't.

It's almost as if TS4 Sims have one toggle in a bag of tricks, and it's Talk. That's all they do after six years. Some may see that as more lively but talk is all they know.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    Yes. I believe TS4 is more or less lively than other iterations.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I get more people at community lots in TS4 than I ever did in TS3, I'll say that much.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    I only played 3 and 4. I was too little to remember how it was playing 2.
    but based on comparison videos and personal experience I would say it's 50/50
    ts4 sims seem the most lively in many areas. And they have so much expression and emotion. (Too much imo) Parties are amazing.
    Ts3 sims seem dry in comparison, but obviously ts4 is missing out on many details that help make them feel more "alive" if that makes sense.

I'm disappointed in that voodoo doll though. I wanted more than a moodlet. I never use it. 😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(