Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recently gone back to sims 3...

1235...Next

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    There seems to be a lot of love recently for Sims3, either being rediscovered, or discovered for the first time. I'm sort of both: had it when it came out, but never had much time to get into it, and unwisely either skipped the tutorial or skimmed it, and just didn't figure out how to play very well so had a grindy time of it and not in a good way. So I hadn't played in years, when I tried Sims4 in 2019, and loved it at first, but like others, had to use mods to make it more interesting, and as one person noted, I'm not even sure if it's the sims4 I liked, or the mods, because I don't really like it without mods.

Anyway, since I went back to Sims3 and this time did the tutorial, I'm blown away by it, and also pleasantly surprised that I can run it with 8 packs installed at once without any trouble, on my old laptop, at max resolution. Looking forward to learning more about it.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    There seems to be a lot of love recently for Sims3, either being rediscovered, or discovered for the first time. I'm sort of both: had it when it came out, but never had much time to get into it, and unwisely either skipped the tutorial or skimmed it, and just didn't figure out how to play very well so had a grindy time of it and not in a good way. So I hadn't played in years, when I tried Sims4 in 2019, and loved it at first, but like others, had to use mods to make it more interesting, and as one person noted, I'm not even sure if it's the sims4 I liked, or the mods, because I don't really like it without mods.

Anyway, since I went back to Sims3 and this time did the tutorial, I'm blown away by it, and also pleasantly surprised that I can run it with 8 packs installed at once without any trouble, on my old laptop, at max resolution. Looking forward to learning more about it.

I hope you enjoy your experience with the game. I've been playing Sims 3 since June 2009 and it still keeps me entertained. I've gone through several phases. Getting to know the game. Playing families. Getting upset about broken family trees. Playing households of 8 housemates with lots of things for them to use and never leaving the house - just watching to see what they did autonomously other than making them get chosen skills. All along I was building and enjoying making interesting things that usually restricted the life of the games I played due to me needing to put everything into each one of them. While I still had a game without mods or cc I added builds and sims to my studio on the Exchange. Then after Sims 4 was released I started adding mods, mostly NRAAS at first, then I discovered skins and hair and I was hooked on mods and custom content. Then I got challenged to start making YouTube videos and thought about it for a year or two before deciding Sims 3 would be a perfect way to learn a bit about YouTube so I started making videos. Many of my videos have a purpose - for example learning more about game play by chasing after a particular badge or all badges that came with a specific expansion. Then I made a few tutorials that seem to be the most popular videos I have loaded to YouTube so far.

I'm sure you'll find you ways of making the most of the game. I hope to see you around the forums.

Happy Simming
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’m having fun rediscovering The Sims 3. I’ve been disenchanted (again and again) with The Sims 4 and the newest bugs make the game unplayable for me.

The last time I tried going back to Sims 3, I was overwhelmed! But this time I’m only activating the packs I can’t live without. I’m getting reacquainted with all the households in Sunset Valley, just making the rounds with aging off and letting SP happen since I’m not attached to anyone yet. I like rotational play and I’m going to settle on my main families once I get to know them all. I only have vague memories of many of them because I used to just play legacy style. Back then, I got obsessed with nectar making and performing experiments on objects with my top level scientist. This time, I’m in it to fully appreciate all the different personalities and just fly by the seat of my pants, letting them lead me in whatever direction they will.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I tried Sims 3 after seemingly forever. This time around, I mostly got packs that I never got to have before (they were on CD). My only complaint ever was a lag.

That being said, I had made quite a few new discoveries. I liked the jellybean bushes, but thought they were bugged (the tree made mine want to pee but it had a steel bladder), and I miss the magic mirror. I love the simbots and sci fi tech from into the future... Nerds from University was a blast, too! I'm sad that I can not write comics in Sims 4, or solve puzzle adventures, like in adventures. Aliens and seasons really came alive, but also think the varying climates in 4 further enhanced that. One other thing I do miss, though, is small starter apartments with smaller bills and very limiting tiny home challenges!
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    sims 3 is one of those games i play constantly non-stop almost 24/7 for months, then take a few months break, then go back to it. idk why been the same for years
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • ButterWafflesARButterWafflesAR Posts: 113 Member
    I too came back to sims 3. I just have so many fond memories playing it, not to mention that open world makes for fantastic pictures. Sims 4 is fun, I liked the in-depth modification when it came to the sims' faces and figures, but sims 3 is just like... To put it this way, it like moving to a new town and it offers so many great things that will never be forgettable, but you move back to your hometown, because that's is where your heart is. ♥
    I won't lie, I was torn between continuing playing sims 4 or uninstalling and reinstalling sims 3. AS always, sims 3 won my heart.
    BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
    d3Z5s3V.jpg
  • kretorrbwlykretorrbwly Posts: 36 Member
    > @McTosh said:
    > sims 3 is one of those games i play constantly non-stop almost 24/7 for months, then take a few months break, then go back to it. idk why been the same for years

Same for me... I get totally obsessive with TS3 then after a while I take a break, think that I'm sort of bored with this game already, but somehow always end up playing it again...
  • starglitters99starglitters99 Posts: 1 New Member
    I could never leave the sims 3. It's the best game of the whole series. Sims 4 just can't compete with the sims 3. The scenery and the open world keeps me intrigued with the game.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    I could never leave the sims 3. It's the best game of the whole series. Sims 4 just can't compete with the sims 3. The scenery and the open world keeps me intrigued with the game.
    Welcome Aboard the Forums.
    Many people in this section of the forums would agree with your decision.

Visit Here and we will help you getting started.
    Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • SweetCandy292SweetCandy292 Posts: 21 Member
    > @starglitters99 said:
    > I could never leave the sims 3. It's the best game of the whole series. Sims 4 just can't compete with the sims 3. The scenery and the open world keeps me intrigued with the game.

I agree with you there, I always find myself coming back to sims 3. I tried playing base game sims 4 but its just...ugh. I cant. Sure the graphics are nice but it doesnt feel like the sims. PLus the fact that I have alot of CC in the sims 3 does help as well.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    Kind of late to the post but I decided since I got a new laptop a few months ago, I would reinstall the game and see what I could do with it. I am however, missing the following packs and plan to get them on Origin soon:

Fast Lane Stuff
    Outdoor Living Stuff
    Town Life Stuff
    Master Suite Stuff
    Diesel Stuff
    70s, 80s, 90s Stuff
    Movie Stuff
    Sweet Treats Stuff (I don't know if/how I will ever get this one again)

I thought I had them before but I guess those were the 64 bit versions that no longer work on Windows. I am off to see what kind of fun I have in this game again.

UPDATE: Turns out, the processor in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7306 2n1 laptop) is incompatible with BOTH Sims 3 AND Sims 4. Neither game will run on an Intel Evo Core i5. Unless it's a graphics card issue and the games don't recognize it.
    Post edited by EricasFreePlay on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2021
    @EricasFreePlay - I'm pretty sure that "Evo" is a brand name stamp on the processor and still covers a wide range of capabilities. If you want, perhaps you could run a full dxdiag report on this laptop and share it with us on a new thread over on the TS3 Tech Issues board and we can see if the hardware is really incompatible with the games or if something else is amiss or just in need of adjustment. The issue can't be 64-bit because there has never been a 64-bit version of TS3 in particular for Windows (only the macOS version) and all versions of Windows will still run 32-bit applications.

How to run one: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

What to do with it: Send it up Pastebin.com, the free version is fine, and provide a link so we can read it as the report will be far too long to paste into a forum board post.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    @EricasFreePlay - I'm pretty sure that "Evo" is a brand name stamp on the processor and still covers a wide range of capabilities. If you want, perhaps you could run a full dxdiag report on this laptop and share it with us on a new thread over on the TS3 Tech Issues board and we can see if the hardware is really incompatible with the games or if something else is amiss or just in need of adjustment. The issue can't be 64-bit because there has never been a 64-bit version of TS3 in particular for Windows (only the macOS version) and all versions of Windows will still run 32-bit applications.

How to run one: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

What to do with it: Send it up Pastebin.com, the free version is fine, and provide a link so we can read it as the report will be far too long to paste into a forum board post.

For some reason, I can't get Pastebin to work. I have the dxdiag file on my desktop. Want me to copy certain info from it to help diagnose the problem?
    @igazor I just tagged you in a new discussion thread. That's the short version of what happens when I try to run the game. What in the heck?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    This is my 3rd time returning to my Sims 3 game. This time I got a little fed up with the fact that there's still no Fairies & Werewolves in my Sims 4. So, I reinstalled my Sims 3 & created a new Werewolf. This time I made a female Werewolf with a full body hair to boot. She's fun to play with. :p
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Welcome back @SERVERFRA :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Thank you. I forgot how much fun Sims 3 could be. It was mine & my daughter's 1st Sims game ever back in 2011. I never even heard or saw a Sims game before that. I was very surprised to hear that there was even a Sims City PC game back in 1989.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I was watching my sim watching action TV in Sims 4 and realized how much I missed the firefighter career and exploring the tombs in World Adventures. I started a new game with a couple who are adventurers and plan to start a second game of supernaturals. I want to play with werewolves, fairies, vampires and witches in a game where the sims actually have consequences and personalities! I have always loved Sims 3 and am looking forward to spending more time playing my new games! Oh, and I can have cows, chickens, AND horses on my farm!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    @maggiemae8135 - you know that you can also have sheep in your game too if you play with mods. :mrgreen:
    https://modthesims.info/d/658435/functional-sheep-look-a-living-sheep-v1-2.html

Thank you Lyralei at MTS.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I played Sims 2 then went to Sims 4. It felt like they were reaching for something else with 4. They tried to redo Sims 2 without the follow through on players' interactional gameplay along with zero Sim characters emotions.

I then got into Sims 3 by buying a black friday sale on steam and will do it again this year to complete the expansions. Sims 3 is so much fun. So far haven't dealt with the legendary lag or crashed files. Sims 2 was prone to crash after creating 3 generations.