Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I watched a child play Sims 4

KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
I thought this better suits off-topic because it's more about the child than the game.

My boyfriend has Sims 4 for PS4, not because he likes it (he doesn't care for the series), but because I was curious about it. He bought it for me when it was on sale last year, and I would play it occasionally when I visited him. Well, I introduced his 9-year-old niece to the game because she was bored and because of lockdown, there's really nowhere to go.

I did not expect her to fall in love with the game!

She played for 7 1/2 hours (not in a row!), and only finally got off because her mom declared bedtime. But every day after that, she asked to play. I helped her a little, but once she figured out the controls, she was glued.

No goals, no care for events or scores, no care for the "perfect" sim or house (she tore down part of one of the mansion lots because she wanted to put in a pool!). She just played freely, making up whatever she wanted. I must admit she made quite the interesting story: her sim got married, had kids, got cheated on, and got divorced. And, unsurprisingly, her sims' motives were always low. Her sim's exhausted and about to pass out? Well, she wants that sim to go on a date, so too bad! I don't think she yet knows what the motives really are nor does she care to.

Honestly, it was kind of endearing to see how she looks at the game and made me a bit nostalgic. Her play was so innocent. She knew nothing and she didn't care. There were no mistakes or screwing anything up in her mind. She was having fun, making whatever up as she goes, not caring if it was "right" or "bad". Just fun.

I love the Sims community (sometimes...), but I admit I occasionally miss the days I didn't know it existed. I've been part of the community for so long, it feels like I never wasn't (I got into the series at her age, so that's obviously not true) and I definitely got caught up in having even a small audience at one point. My way of playing changed without me noticing. Even the challenges I do in the game are more for my blog than me.
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited September 2020
    Not every one is into a sand box simulation game. But it does have it's appeals sometimes. When I first played The Sims, back in 2000 right after ti was released on the origanal X Box. I didn't care for it either. I didn't care for because it was to hard to control my sim back then. I would tell my sim to go do one thing, and they go do something else instead. For instance say I tell my sim to go eat. My sim would go read a book or do something else instead of what I told them to do. But now 20 tears later, The Sims is one of the games that I play the most. In a way I know how your boyfriend and his niece feel about playing The Sims.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I guess, the way your bf's niece is playing is just like how I played TS1 for the first time. I just play & enjoy the game like what I did with the other games.

The Sims is the only franchise that I've actually involved myself with the community. I met nice people, but sadly, not everything is nice. I hate getting myself involved with other than games related, which is why I hate being part of any discord or group because I prefer to be free, and to be me, without any attachment.In fact, I'm actually quite sociable or one could say, extrovert IRL, just that, my online persona is something that I prefer to be chill down a bit, because gaming is something that I enjoy playing by myself. Perhaps, it's also because of the genre of the game that I like. I prefer RPG/Adventure/Simulation than shooting or anything that requires team to play or social interaction, because I had enough interaction IRL. Sometimes, I need a break too! :wink:

For my gameplay, I don't do or never do any challenges because as I said before, I prefer to be free and not bind to any rules especially those set by others. I set my own rules, I play by my own rules. I only need to impress myself, not others. I didn't change that much when I play besides than getting myself into the community.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I guess, the way your bf's niece is playing is just like how I played TS1 for the first time. I just play & enjoy the game like what I did with the other games.

The Sims is the only franchise that I've actually involved myself with the community. I met nice people, but sadly, not everything is nice. I hate getting myself involved with other than games related, which is why I hate being part of any discord or group because I prefer to be free, and to be me, without any attachment.In fact, I'm actually quite sociable or one could say, extrovert IRL, just that, my online persona is something that I prefer to be chill down a bit, because gaming is something that I enjoy playing by myself. Perhaps, it's also because of the genre of the game that I like. I prefer RPG/Adventure/Simulation than shooting or anything that requires team to play or social interaction, because I had enough interaction IRL. Sometimes, I need a break too! :wink:

For my gameplay, I don't do or never do any challenges because as I said before, I prefer to be free and not bind to any rules especially those set by others. I set my own rules, I play by my own rules. I only need to impress myself, not others. I didn't change that much when I play besides than getting myself into the community.
    The same here, when it come to community envolvement. At present, The Sims community is the only one where I'm an active member of. And proud of it because there are a lot of nice people in this community. But I'm also strongly considering becoming an active member of the Conan Exile community as well. Because I know that there lots of nice people there as well. But sadly yes there are some not so friendly people in both communities. And don't worry, I'll still be an active member of this community.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Aww, that reminded me of when I was 8 and my cousin introduced The Sims 1 to me. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    I remember when I first started playing. That was a very long time ago. I actually play more story based like that now then I did when I first started. To be fair though I was 4 when I first started playing