Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the story behind the Sims 4 meat wall?

Hi there,

I was just chatting with my vegan sister tonight, when she mentioned she's writing a book about cell-based meat! She asked me about my thoughts and input. Instantly, I was reminded of Eco Lifestyle's meat wall! I shared this with her. She enjoyed it. (She doesn't play The Sims). But it makes me wonder... There is apparently a LOT of research and development already put into lab-grown, cultured meat. She asked me, "As a meat eater, would you try it?" And I... didn't know what to say, right away. I need some thought.

She shared with me some websites, because she's VERY passionate about veganism and animals' rights —

- https://www.cellag.org/
- https://www.gfi.org/

This post isn't about her... (but she is my vessel to veganism.) This post is about the Meat Wall, and The Sims' message behind it. So, in all my Googling... all I can find is "hOw tO gEt thE MeAt WaLL." But not, "why we introduced a meat wall."

So, where is the Sims' story behind the Meat Wall? Why are solar power and recycling so popular, and yet cell-based meat isn't as well known? How does it fit in? I guess the broader questions is: Why did The Sims make "Eco Lifestyle?" But also... Why a meat wall?

Would you eat lab-grown meat? Grown outside, on a meat wall?

-sketches
Origin ID: sketchur
Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I guess it fit with the off-the-grid eco living vibe of the Eco Lifestyle pack.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Well since your body needs protein of some kind and they didn't include any animals for milk, butter, cheese, eggs, cream they had to fake it. Plus, I think it's a political thing, they're trying to be "inclusive" to vegans.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Lab grown meat is basically cloning, but instead of cloning the whole animal, they just clone the juicy and edible parts. It is still frankenfood if you ask me, just like genetically modified crops.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I don't think that there is a story, the team never explained why they made a meat wall. When I first saw it I thought it was the team making fun of plant based meat, that they have it in the sims4 but it's an actual meat plant.

But apparently it's supposed to be lab grown meat. I think plant based meat would have been more fitting, they could have added soy plants and given you the option to make plant based meat of them.

I would maybe eat lab grown meat, if it was grown in a lab, not outside. But I would prefer plant based meat which also seems to be more common.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Lol if you do a bit of research, there are definitely answers as to why Eco Lifestyle was made... People don’t wanna hear, the truth is we asked for it: Knitting is the second community voted stuff pack, the first being Laundry day a couple years back. Eco won the first round, but somehow washing machines were included in the next voting round and ended up winning. Obviously the Community got upset, laundry isn’t really related to an eco theme, plus the devs shared their brainstorm list for eco, and people went mad for it, begging for all the features to be added. If you look at this list today, you’ll see the devs have added most of that list in the forthcoming packs, eventually even delivering on the eco theme originally promised. This is contrary to everyone’s favourite tag line: they don’t listen or give us what we want.. so is often ignored.

As for the meat wall.. Well it seems kinda obvious to me: animal cruelty aside, the meat industry is the single largest contributing factor to global warming? Eco is the theme? Goes hand in hand..
    ddd994 wrote: »
    As for the meat wall.. Well it seems kinda obvious to me: animal cruelty aside, the meat industry is the single largest contributing factor to global warming? Eco is the theme? Goes hand in hand..

Yes, blame it on the cows and meat industry. But no one is banning beans.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Most soy bean production is for feeding livestock, so it’s actually part of the meat industry.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think it's a bit of a gross item and I've never used it because of that but it is what it is. I guess it's supposed to resemble a kebab and be this "futuristic eco friendly" way of getting food. As a vegetarian I don't like the imagery even if it is supposed to be "fake meat".

From a vegetarian standpoint I've never understood the obsession with perfectly replicating meat anyways. I've seen some vegan burgers that replicate blood and "bleed" and it just grosses me out, why would you want to replicate that? I only like fake meat if you can tell it's not real meat. Lab grown meat is especially weird but I suppose the idea behind it is that it's environmentally friendly and doesn't require people changing their entire diet so it's good for that. Not for me though.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I'm not keen on the imagery, but I would like to know where in the game you find it?? I dont think I have noticed it before.

Most soy bean production is for feeding livestock, so it’s actually part of the meat industry.

I was actually referring to regular beans, not soy beans. But still there's a lot of soy in everything nowadays. Also, people managed food better when it wasn't so easily available and didn't eat meat with almost every meal. Maybe instead of lab grown meat, they should just eat less regular meat, like their grandparents used to do.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

I was actually referring to regular beans, not soy beans. But still there's a lot of soy in everything nowadays. Also, people managed food better when it wasn't so easily available and didn't eat meat with almost every meal. Maybe instead of lab grown meat, they should just eat less regular meat, like their grandparents used to do.

Eh. My only problem with meat is the environmental aspect. Grown meat is the ideal solution.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Eh. My only problem with meat is the environmental aspect. Grown meat is the ideal solution.

I don't think anyone properly assessed the effect industrially lab grown meat can possibly have on the environment and general health of the population.
  • amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 2020
    I still haven't purchased Eco Living, and did not know about said meat wall :D I guess they decided it would be a creative/futuristic/dystopian way to implement sourcing 'meat' without actually adding farming components? If meat could be...grown instead of killing animals for it? I would...probably try it. I'd been vegetarian (pescatarian for a few years at the end) for like 13 years and vegan for about 2. It would depend on a lot of other factors but if it's not harmful to animals I don't have an issue with it. Now if we could work on ethical treatment for farm workers, that's another story!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think it's just for fun really. I gives a nod to non-meat... meat which fits in the pack and it's gross and funny for those of us that like that stuff. Personally I wish it wasn't so hard to get but at least it creates a barrier for those that are super-grossed out by the possibility of seeing it in their game. You have to work to get it (civil engineer job .. forget what level).. then you have to chose if you want the planter to grow it or just keep using it for plants. Or you can download it from the gallery.
    I chose it not because oohhh I get non veggie meat and that's the future!.. but because it's gross looking and funny.. and I like that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a gross item and I've never used it because of that but it is what it is. I guess it's supposed to resemble a kebab and be this "futuristic eco friendly" way of getting food. As a vegetarian I don't like the imagery even if it is supposed to be "fake meat".

From a vegetarian standpoint I've never understood the obsession with perfectly replicating meat anyways. I've seen some vegan burgers that replicate blood and "bleed" and it just grosses me out, why would you want to replicate that? I only like fake meat if you can tell it's not real meat. Lab grown meat is especially weird but I suppose the idea behind it is that it's environmentally friendly and doesn't require people changing their entire diet so it's good for that. Not for me though.

Wow a fellow vegetarian 😃😃
    I feel the same way. I always believed the fake replica of meat was made for meat eaters who want to become vegetarian but have a hard time adjusting. I know one like that. They try to get something as close to meat as possible.

I was raised vegetarian so anything that even looks like or tries to replicate meat does not sit well with me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    The meat wall looks gross but I loooove having it in my game. <3
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie

I don't think anyone properly assessed the effect industrially lab grown meat can possibly have on the environment and general health of the population.

Large scale, or even small scale, is just theoretical right now. But for your points... it's all about where the energy is coming from. Just like with electric cars for example: No matter if you are 100% electrical, if you use a coal plant to charge your car it is actually worse for the environment than a modern combustion engine. Same with this.
    As for the health of the population? Not sure if I see the problem? I mean any health problems are self-inflicted and is more a matter of taxation and above all education. The BIG reason food-related diseases go up in "certain countries" is because of an economic policy that makes unhealthy fast food CHEAPER than healthy food.

Large scale, or even small scale, is just theoretical right now. But for your points... it's all about where the energy is coming from. Just like with electric cars for example: No matter if you are 100% electrical, if you use a coal plant to charge your car it is actually worse for the environment than a modern combustion engine. Same with this.
    As for the health of the population? Not sure if I see the problem? I mean any health problems are self-inflicted and is more a matter of taxation and above all education. The BIG reason food-related diseases go up in "certain countries" is because of an economic policy that makes unhealthy fast food CHEAPER than healthy food.

Well, I wouldn't want to see industrial scale lab grown meat in the supermarket, because organic and hormone free meat would become prohibitively expensive for most of the population if not entirely unheard of.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    Post edited by Rouensims on
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:

Well, I wouldn't want to see industrial scale lab grown meat in the supermarket, because organic and hormone free meat would become prohibitively expensive for most of the population if not entirely unheard of.

Hormones has nothing to do with this. That too has to do with national legislation. I live in a part of the world where added hormone in meat is virtually unheard of, period, since it is illegal.
    Rouensims wrote: »
    As a vegan, I don’t really see the point when so many more natural meat substitutes are already available: tempeh, tofu, seitan, etc.

But that is another discussion. I see no moral problems with meat as such, so I am not vegan and will never be. Let's stop this discussion there.

Hormones has nothing to do with this. That too has to do with national legislation. I live in a part of the world where added hormone in meat is virtually unheard of, period, since it is illegal.

It's good to hear that animals are not fed additional hormones in your part of the world. But lab grown meat needs hormones to grow.