Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What if - It was just a generic SciFi Pack instead?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Yes - Let me tell my stories!
    The game already has lore of both aliens and an alien world via secret lot, and I am all for deepening the "stories" that are already part of the sims. They could have fleshed out such elements and parodied off of several real life franchises (ex. how Strangerville was vaguely like Stranger Things) instead of clearly being paid by Disney.

I would definitely buy a pack that somehow combined Sims 3 Into the Future with the aliens and Sixam that currently exists. I mean, how cool would it have been to get abducted or going through a portal and either make friends and be able to explore their planet, or make enemies and get kicked out forever and end up with a male pregnancy?

See I didn’t see Strangerville trying to parody elements of Stranger Things. For me it was harking back to the Sims 2’s Strangetown. Both of which are very Area 51 with strange things happening, a lot of science heavy focus. Military presence too with the Grunts and stuff. Alien invasions and abductions that sort of thing all set in a crater filled Arizona-esque dry setting. Both are set around areas with alien crash landings where it all goes very wrong. Anyone whose also played the Sims 2 Nindendo DS game also knows how crazy Strangetown gets with alien invasions (and cow tipping for milkshake- another reason we need farming).

So yeah for me it was a little throw back to Sims 2 and a twist on in. I actually really appreciated Strangerville and enjoyed the play through but I wish it had tied in the aliens and Sixam.

That’s a missed opportunity and I think people would be a little more receptive to niche, wild card packs if the game was fleshed out in more depth and there weren’t elements that seem to have been thrown out and forgotten about like used toys (aliens, sixam, the mystery lots, babies, etc.) But that’s just my opinion, I would be more receptive and perhaps I’m not alone in that thinking.

I think it could have been a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings pack, or even Star Trek and people would still have reacted negatively. There’s a time and a place for experimental packs and that’s usually to drag out the ideas when they’re running low. From this forum alone it’s clear the ideas for packs of any kind are not running low.

It was never the theme for me that put me off and made me not buy it (although I don’t like Star Wars), it was the continued mess of bugs (new and old), the lack of fixes or seemingly care that these bugs exist, the lack of depth the older games provide, and the fact that without a fleshed out aliens occult or Sixam world I can’t see the place for other aliens (who are just masked up sims). Just another iconic feature of the franchise left on the trash heap and it’s actually really sad to see. A lot of this just makes me sad. Not angry or disappointed, just sad.

I also do not support a company like Disney paying for or writing into a contract basically a theme park advertisement that I have to pay for to play. Playable ads aren’t new. Paying to play the ads crosses the line for me. It’s marketing that’s starting to take the mick and being way too invasive. Especially when it actually limits how the game it was made for actually works. Maybe if it was just like all the other play as we like packs with lots and a Jedi occult and other things I’ve come to love that packs bring it’d have something redeeming for me. As of right now, it does not and looks to me from the reviews and playthroughs to be a very 1D, monotonous and restrictive experience.

Say what you like about Strangerville it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s the biggest game pack world with a tonne of editability where you can actually live and play whole generations if you want. It was, compared to latest EPs, a world on par with Del Sol Valley for example. Not to mention the BB style works pretty much anywhere you want it to world wise. And the military career is often used for me personally. So one could argue it’s got a tonne of value even if the story isn’t your thing. I’d rather not edit the existing buildings to shoe-horn in some functionality but be able to build my own in a world and use the BB/Debug in my own ways in a world it makes sense in.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Other
    Why did you not give us the vote option of not being into both :)
    I do think a sci-fi pack for those fans could be a lot better than Star Wars of course, but still.. it's just not the right time with a game so broken and lacking.
    IF this pack was made any other time, it could be nice if they expanded space careers into active careers where sims had to do missions and actually stay in a spaceship for a certain amount of time. Smaller telescope and other items as well as a lot of activities and objects for kids. But I would more interested in the realistic approach on this subject rather than occult stages and more alien things.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Other
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Sci-Fi is never generic. Name a Sci-Fi element you consider core, say, "space travel". Completely absent from the novel which originated the genre, namely Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.

As soon as you just try for a generic theme, you have to avoid anything that is specific to a particular setting. EA has the license for video game exploration of the Star Wars franchise. Maxis is an EA studio. They'd be fools NOT to give us at least one pack of the Sims that lets the two meet.

I don't mind that it's a destination world. I mind slightly that it's basically an advertisement for Galaxy's Edge. On the other hand, $20 is much cheaper than the price of admission, there are no lines, and I can stay as long as I want. ;)

But I don't think that is what this question is about. I think a more accurate way of asking is "What if this pack had expanded on Sixam and Sims Lore"?

Then one of two things would have had to happen - 1) they release DLC for DLC, and require Get To Work, which will upset those who don't want DLC for DLC, or 2) they remove Aliens from Get To Work and make them Base Game, thereby lowering the value of the Get to Work pack, and angering anyone who bought it for the Aliens.

And it still wouldn't have appealed to the Reality Family Only players and those who think that Maxis can just coast by on existing income until they get all the bugs fixed and should stop producing packs until that happens.

So people would still be upset. Just some of them would be different people upset for different reasons.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Other
    Depends on content and how well it's implemented. Not everyone is is sci-fi fan, so that limits popularity right off. Doing something on an established theme (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) can be dangerous. Muff it, and the loyalists will be angry. There are better places for that than SIms.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other
    [quote="Stutum;c-17657712"]I think people would hate it anyway. I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the hate isn't necessarily towards the GP itself, but all the issues that haven't been fixed yet, and then, boom, new GP, which I can sorta understand. [/quote]

yes, and then say no one asked for any sci-fi stuff. Personally, more the merrier. I'd even love another Into the Future pack. I looooved seeing my sims descendants. Okay maybe not the creepy Utopia strut. lol But can we at least get a food synthesizer. :D

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    Yes - Let me tell my stories!
    I feel like they buggered up the opportunity to do a sci-fi pack when they dumped aliens into Get To Work with no real life or reason. But it would've been the perfect release for me if they had.