Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop - Compatible?? Settings??

I would love to have some help figuring out if my laptop is compatible with the Sims 4 ... I own all expansion, stuff, and game packs.
- Will it be able to run it at all? Lower settings?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-gun-gray/6373047.p?skuId=6373047

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    You may be able to run it but with integrated graphics it might be an mix of settings. It is great you asking for help as some already purchased the device without doing their homework first. Laptops basically are what you buy is what you get and most components are not upgradeable and you are stuck with it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    It's not a great idea to play TS4 on a laptop (although some do it). Laptops run hot as it is, and TS4 works a non-gaming CPU pretty hard. I have a desktop (non-gaming), and even with plenty of ventilation, it still runs hot on TS4
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    If you're on a budget, it's better to get a desktop.

For laptops, you would need one with a good processor and a good dedicated graphics card (not just Intel Integrated card only). That being said, this game runs really bad even on good gaming laptops on high settings (I would know, LOL), but this is not to say that you should play the game on lower end laptops since it won't make a difference on the performance. The game is the problem but if you have a non-gaming laptop, you can potentially over heat that laptop and ruin it as a whole.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    You can get a desktop computer better this laptop for half of the money.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I would love to have some help figuring out if my laptop is compatible with the Sims 4 ... I own all expansion, stuff, and game packs.
    - Will it be able to run it at all? Lower settings?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-gun-gray/6373047.p?skuId=6373047

Thank you in advance.

Whilst no one is wrong for saying that a PC would perform better and could be better value, maybe you don't have the space or the right circumstances to have a fixed desk...

I personally run TS4 off of a Dell Inspiron 7000 which is a good 3-4 years old now. I find it runs TS4 with no problem. It could be quicker but I usually have Spotify and Chrome running as well. 😂

This thread here mentions the same Intel UHD Graphics 620 and that it will be fine on Medium graphic settings at the very least: Click

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I bought a gaming laptop specifically so I could play Sims... (and other games of course but Sims dominates) The Sims is compatible with mine and runs really smooth, I have a really nice graphics card too so it looks great....that being said everyone else is right....Sims is rough on laptops. My battery drains so fast, and its been a problem on every laptop I have had the Sims on to the point where the batteries actually go bad. But I still encourage you to get the Sims because its always wonderful lol
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    Also I could cook an egg on this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when it really gets going and plugged in. If you can go into your computer settings and turn your fans on higher while playing the Sims and charging
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Not sure why everytime laptops come up people go on about PCs, if someone wanted a PC instead they'd probably be looking for PCs. They aren't practical for everyone.

I don't know that much about tech stuff, but my laptop was a few hundred cheaper than that one and it runs the game solidly on ultra graphics. Sometimes theres random lag spikes if I have other programs open at the same time and the fan gets a bit loud on occasion but otherwise no issues.

Sims 4 isn't really a "heavy" game for laptops, my old laptop was much cheaper and 6 years old and it still ran the game fine on lower graphics. I think a lot of people have only played on PC and don't realise laptops really aren't that bad anymore.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Not sure why everytime laptops come up people go on about PCs, if someone wanted a PC instead they'd probably be looking for PCs. They aren't practical for everyone.

I don't know that much about tech stuff, but my laptop was a few hundred cheaper than that one and it runs the game solidly on ultra graphics. Sometimes theres random lag spikes if I have other programs open at the same time and the fan gets a bit loud on occasion but otherwise no issues.

Sims 4 isn't really a "heavy" game for laptops, my old laptop was much cheaper and 6 years old and it still ran the game fine on lower graphics. I think a lot of people have only played on PC and don't realise laptops really aren't that bad anymore.

Hmmm, Laptops will still inherit one downside that most PCs do not and that is upgradability so if one is to invest in an laptop, it is something that can last for at 3 years or more for laptops are what you see is what you get. Not much can be upgraded and some stores has an no refund policy. I can agree with an need for an laptop due to space or whatever, but even in that scenario you still have to research, shop smart and becareful of some salesman as they may sell you something you may not need or use. Also, I do not believe in buying laptops or even desktops just to play one game and future proofing the system.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • nahnahtodeinahnahtodei Posts: 58 Member
    You will have no issues with Sims 4 on that laptop. I can actually guarantee that because I tried it on the previous model of that exact laptop. Also played it on four other laptops without any issues and pretty high graphic settings (not the HIGHEST though) and certainly without Laptop Mode. I've never had any problems! The Sims is not a game that requires a gaming pc... :P
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

@Onverser
    They were never bad. They just cost a lot more because companies have to find a way to fit all that hardware in a small space while providing enough cooling for the parts not to melt.

Also many people buy expensive laptops without seeing the specs which is a terrible idea since many laptops are designed for business purposes and feature low voltage CPUs etc that thrive in a business environment but not in a gaming one.

Also laptops are still much more prone to damage due to the overheating issue stated by the others in this thread.
    Also (probably not the case with you) but several people think they run the Sims 4 on ultra settings when the truth is they run ultra settings + laptop mode. Laptop mode decreases graphical quality so much that it's looks better to play in low settings with no laptop mode on than in ultra settings with laptop mode on. Many seem to not realize that and think that their laptops is some kind of cheap hardware god :lol:

Also I usually always bring up PCs because the person posting might not know how much cheaper and more powerful PCs are. I used to play the Sims on laptops for almost 6 years so I wish someone had told me earlier how much cheaper and smoother PCs are.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?