Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inspiration Needed-Tell Me Your Story

So sadly, I haven't been able to play Sims 3 much lately due to having literally no inspiration for what kind of sims I want. Often, my sims are the same and kinda of boring and if they are not exciting enough for me, I loose interest in playing them. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or maybe stories of their ow sim/sims. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Great thread! I'd be interested in seeing what people say.
  • elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    Great thread! I'd be interested in seeing what people say.

Same :)
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @elleskyheart How do you normally play?

Well with sims 3, it's hard to make up stories for me. for some reason. Normally, I create one or two sims and then pair them off with someone already made in the game. Often they are smart, or loners, or being good/family oriented but then have at least one negative trait. I am trying to make my own family, but I'll likely try the legacy challenge soon. But yeah, I wanna create at least oen interesting sim even if they aren't a good person.

I also am not too good with making sims as they often look similar sadly.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Wow, so many ideas.

1. If you find your own sims boring, download others. We all tend to make our ideal sims so they end up looking alike.
    2. Get involved with the townies. They’re lots of fun. The Goths, Claire Ursine, the Frio brothers, all in the base game. And they have great back stories. a) Claire ursine is pregnant (when the game boots) by Jared Frio who dumped her. He lives next door to her with his brother, Connor, who turns out to be quite a healthy relationship for Claire and a nice substitute father for the little girl who is born. b) Gunther Goth and Cornelia, his wife, don’t have the greatest relationship when the game boots. Play them and get them back on good terms for Mortimer’s sake. C) Thornton Wolff, the most eligible bachelor in town has been carrying on with Jamie Jolina. He goes away on vacation and brings back a new wife, Morgana. They are newly married when the game boots. Does he continue with Jamie or stay true to his new bride? If he dumps Jamie, how will she take her revenge? If he cheats on Morgana, what will she do? d) Agnes Crumplebottom is a newlywed whose husband died on their honeymoon. There’s 4 awesome stories to play.
    3. Watch machinima for ideas! There are still a lot of good machinima stories out there with awesome ideas for townies or your own sims. I’ll link a few. Mine first of course 😈

This is the Sequel, with Bella and Mortimer, Dina and Nina Caliente, and lots more. There was a Prequel before it with Gunther and Cornelia and Lolita Goth, but the beginning episodes are pretty rough cause I was new to machinima. The sequel starts out when sunset valley boots, Agnes husband is dead, Gunther and Cornelia are estranged.

This should keep you busy for awhile! But I’ll edit and add my other favorite machinimas.

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited September 2020
    Check out the requirements for achieving badges found in you Sims 3 MyPage.

I have several video series where I have different types of sims doing different things. Some are working towards badges, others are exploring parts of the game I haven't done much with so far. The link to my channel is in my signature.

My tutorials are popular and my story type videos have game play tips and solutions to problems encountered during game play while recording the videos.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I try to have a save for every world and just pick something to do and go with it, I was rewatching an old lets play and reminded of a custom world I wanted to try. I made an irresistible sim to attract a specific vampire, but I have her living with her talking cat and dead father who haunts her. Her first night out she meets the vampire and his brother and a whole bunch of other sims that can't get enough of her so....I still have to see where that goes lol. The point is start with something that takes very little effort and creativity and just add on to see what you get.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member

Well with sims 3, it's hard to make up stories for me. for some reason. Normally, I create one or two sims and then pair them off with someone already made in the game. Often they are smart, or loners, or being good/family oriented but then have at least one negative trait. I am trying to make my own family, but I'll likely try the legacy challenge soon. But yeah, I wanna create at least oen interesting sim even if they aren't a good person.

I don't quite understand what you mean by making up a story because I never have a story in mind about why my sims are together or about what they do. I play only for genetics so am happiest when my sims live happy lives and produce lots of kids. I guess my play style would be boring for many but it has kept me happily amused since the game came out. Do you mean the story you tell yourself about your sims or do you mean an actual story you want share with others? If you mean a shared story I can't help you because I don't write stories or read the stories of others so my advice would be useless.

Using bad traits could be fun and it sounds like something you want to do so go for it. As for looks, I see that @ZeeGee has suggested you download sims if you want sims that look different than you would normally make and it's a good way to get diversity. For me, the best way to make sims that don't all look alike is to try to recreate the faces of celebrities/famous people.

I don't like rules so have never tried a Legacy Challenge but if you prefer a structured game it could be good for you.

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    You might also take a browse through the "What Happened in Your Sims 3 Game Today" thread. There's a lot of people playing Sims 3 story ideas and maybe that might jog your imagination for a unique story idea of your own.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I make up stories for my sims. I love sending them on adventures or quests. I have several ongoing stories, a couple of which are on hiatus right now. I don't do challenges as I don't like rules. Not all of us play the same and luckily with Sims 3, there is so much to do and so many worlds including player-made worlds to explore that I'm never bored. If I run out of ideas for one family/story, I move to the next one that I play. A friend made a ghost sim for me recently and his back story prompted one of my current stories that I am playing. I don't generally play EA sims or families but I've added a few of the sims from Midnight Hollow to one of my stories as they had interesting backstories that I wanted to incorporate into my original story. As @Nikkei_Simmer suggested look at the "what happened..." thread or pop into sims 3 creative corner and look at some of the story threads there. Most of all, have fun whatever you decide to do. Happy Simming.
  • DottyKCDottyKC Posts: 19 Member
    I created a house of young adults who were all attractive/irresistible except for one extra friendly guy, made a few of them flirt with multiple housemates and become friends with the friendly guy, then switched to controlling another house to watch the scandals unfold from afar. It didn't take them long to figure out what's what, and one couple from that became my legacy family. One set of them ended up marrying other people, but then I caught them making out in the library one day, mussing up their thinning gray hair. Apparently, the library is quite the old people makeout spot in sunset valley!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    1. Find a cool challenge to play, they're not all "ten gen legacy with x condition" either. Boolprop probably hosts the most updated list but look around here and on other forums for anything that might have been missed too.

2. Take your novel idea and play it out in The Sims instead.

3. Combine the two into some unholy monster but it's fun, take it from me.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Wow, so many ideas.

1. If you find your own sims boring, download others. We all tend to make our ideal sims so they end up looking alike.
    2. Get involved with the townies. They’re lots of fun. The Goths, Claire Ursine, the Frio brothers, all in the base game. And they have great back stories. a) Claire ursine is pregnant (when the game boots) by Jared Frio who dumped her. He lives next door to her with his brother, Connor, who turns out to be quite a healthy relationship for Claire and a nice substitute father for the little girl who is born. b) Gunther Goth and Cornelia, his wife, don’t have the greatest relationship when the game boots. Play them and get them back on good terms for Mortimer’s sake. C) Thornton Wolff, the most eligible bachelor in town has been carrying on with Jamie Jolina. He goes away on vacation and brings back a new wife, Morgana. They are newly married when the game boots. Does he continue with Jamie or stay true to his new bride? If he dumps Jamie, how will she take her revenge? If he cheats on Morgana, what will she do? d) Agnes Crumplebottom is a newlywed whose husband died on their honeymoon. There’s 4 awesome stories to play.
    3. Watch machinima for ideas! There are still a lot of good machinima stories out there with awesome ideas for townies or your own sims. I’ll link a few. Mine first of course 😈

This is the Sequel, with Bella and Mortimer, Dina and Nina Caliente, and lots more. There was a Prequel before it with Gunther and Cornelia and Lolita Goth, but the beginning episodes are pretty rough cause I was new to machinima. The sequel starts out when sunset valley boots, Agnes husband is dead, Gunther and Cornelia are estranged.

This should keep you busy for awhile! But I’ll edit and add my other favorite machinimas.

This is a good idea. Maybe I will give it a try. I will say the premade sims are more interesting lol. But thanks so much. Maybe I could play them or add a sim to fit those stories.
    Karritz wrote: »
    Check out the requirements for achieving badges found in you Sims 3 MyPage.

I have several video series where I have different types of sims doing different things. Some are working towards badges, others are exploring parts of the game I haven't done much with so far. The link to my channel is in my signature.

My tutorials are popular and my story type videos have game play tips and solutions to problems encountered during game play while recording the videos.

I'll give those a try. I'm fine with watching sims 3 videos and tutorials. As for the badges, I've noticed I haven't gotten any. lately. I wonder if I have them unchecked or something. It may be fun to try them out though.
    I try to have a save for every world and just pick something to do and go with it, I was rewatching an old lets play and reminded of a custom world I wanted to try. I made an irresistible sim to attract a specific vampire, but I have her living with her talking cat and dead father who haunts her. Her first night out she meets the vampire and his brother and a whole bunch of other sims that can't get enough of her so....I still have to see where that goes lol. The point is start with something that takes very little effort and creativity and just add on to see what you get.

That's what I've been doing. I watch some videos of peoples' games and hope to get an idea of my own. It's just my sims aren't the most interesting people in the world, but may I lack imagination. I've seen posts on here. where people make some amazing sims.

I don't quite understand what you mean by making up a story because I never have a story in mind about why my sims are together or about what they do. I play only for genetics so am happiest when my sims live happy lives and produce lots of kids. I guess my play style would be boring for many but it has kept me happily amused since the game came out. Do you mean the story you tell yourself about your sims or do you mean an actual story you want share with others? If you mean a shared story I can't help you because I don't write stories or read the stories of others so my advice would be useless.

Using bad traits could be fun and it sounds like something you want to do so go for it. As for looks, I see that @ZeeGee has suggested you download sims if you want sims that look different than you would normally make and it's a good way to get diversity. For me, the best way to make sims that don't all look alike is to try to recreate the faces of celebrities/famous people.

I don't like rules so have never tried a Legacy Challenge but if you prefer a structured game it could be good for you.

Well I've watched players like lilsimie and have even read some stories for the sims 3 and I found them to be a fun read. I know with sims storytelling is limit, but their are those who plays a certain way and are telling a story. I just want an interesting sim and maybe try out new things. I am like you though. I like building a family and all that. Problem is though, it doesn't like long for some reason. One of my longest files was a guy who adopted two kids and was married to a musician. It was my longest and funnest gameplay.
    You might also take a browse through the "What Happened in Your Sims 3 Game Today" thread. There's a lot of people playing Sims 3 story ideas and maybe that might jog your imagination for a unique story idea of your own.

Thanks! I've done that from time to time, but only a glimpse. I try to take a better look.

bekkasan wrote: »
    I make up stories for my sims. I love sending them on adventures or quests. I have several ongoing stories, a couple of which are on hiatus right now. I don't do challenges as I don't like rules. Not all of us play the same and luckily with Sims 3, there is so much to do and so many worlds including player-made worlds to explore that I'm never bored. If I run out of ideas for one family/story, I move to the next one that I play. A friend made a ghost sim for me recently and his back story prompted one of my current stories that I am playing. I don't generally play EA sims or families but I've added a few of the sims from Midnight Hollow to one of my stories as they had interesting backstories that I wanted to incorporate into my original story. As @Nikkei_Simmer suggested look at the "what happened..." thread or pop into sims 3 creative corner and look at some of the story threads there. Most of all, have fun whatever you decide to do. Happy Simming.

This is what I'd like to do, but sadly it's difficult for me. Either I don't stick with the sim because they are too boring or the story isn't interesting enough. Honestly, maybe I'll create a bad sim and see how things go. That would be a new style of gameplay. As for the looks, I don't create the most interesting looking sims. Even in sims 4, my sims often looked the same or too generic. Still, unlike sims 4, there is a lot to do in the sims 3. I just have to find it .

DottyKC wrote: »
    I created a house of young adults who were all attractive/irresistible except for one extra friendly guy, made a few of them flirt with multiple housemates and become friends with the friendly guy, then switched to controlling another house to watch the scandals unfold from afar. It didn't take them long to figure out what's what, and one couple from that became my legacy family. One set of them ended up marrying other people, but then I caught them making out in the library one day, mussing up their thinning gray hair. Apparently, the library is quite the old people makeout spot in sunset valley!

That does sound a lot of fun. I know a lot of people like causing mayhem in sims. It can be fun. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks !
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    1. Find a cool challenge to play, they're not all "ten gen legacy with x condition" either. Boolprop probably hosts the most updated list but look around here and on other forums for anything that might have been missed too.

2. Take your novel idea and play it out in The Sims instead.

3. Combine the two into some unholy monster but it's fun, take it from me.

I don't mind challenges. In fact, I did one last year with the runaway teen challenge. It was fun. Used nrass on the game that helped my teen move out. When with a premade sim as well in Sunset Valley. Sadly i stopped. Didn't even get to my second kid. Maybe I will try again.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @elleskyheart: the first challenge I ever tried was The Midnight Sun challenge, I didn't write about it all but I kept it going for four generations. I used NRaas Traveler to give me more worlds to travel to and grab spouses from, which was loads of fun and I simply assumed they could get a travel visa to go anywhere. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • giulliagiullia Posts: 25 Member
    I'm currently playing a legacy challenge and I'm loving it. It seems that I'm more interested in the game than I've been in years. My founder came from a little town to the big city (Roaring Heights), with a dream of becoming an actress.
    The Goldsmith Legacy
    - A Sims 3 Legacy Challenge.

6.jpg?w=1024

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    One of the first things I found really funny once was to purchase a small empty lot for a family of 8 including teens (could not do this to children-) then I took almost all the family money away, plonked down 4 park benches and one fire pit, made a small fishing pond and tiny garden for harvesting with a water sprinkler. Then finally I gave them all a push cycle and opposing traits to each other and sat back to watch what happened :) It kept me entertained for days haha

They were all playing musical chairs trying to get on the benches for a nap, same waiting in turn to roast something at the fire pit or trying to fish for something in the pond to roast. As there were no showers they were constantly running in and out of the water sprinkler but they were all autonomously cycling back and forth to the local sunset valley park for a pee and a shower-)

Although I don't like to hurt my sims or allow them to die this was an experiment into what they would do for themselves if I left them alone and it had some surprising results.

The father had the fishing trait so he went all over the map of his own accord fishing constantly. he also had the klepto trait so he would visit people at their homes and swipe things all the time.

The mother stayed at home apart from travelling to the park for a pee and a shower. she obviously enjoyed harvesting and fishing for what she could and I felt sorry for her in the end so I gave her a cheap barbecue because it was clear she wanted to serve food to the rest of the family even if they did eat it sitting on benches on their knees-)

The teens often skipped of to other teens homes after school and when I followed them they would pee, shower and eat of their own accord in these houses lol

The nights were the worse when they would all rush to get on the benches and there would be 4 of them left over screaming and stomping because there was nowhere to nap so eventually I gave them a tent-)

In this experiment they did not allow themselves to die and went to quite some lengths on their own to get their needs met.

I eventually rewarded them with a small properly built house where they lived happily ever after :)

edited September 2020
    @elleskyheart - If one doesn't want to be serious...you can do what's known as a ISBI (I'm Surrounded By Id10ts) game.

The rules are as follows. https://cuckoolegacy.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/new-isbi-rules-what-fun/

It also helps if your brain completely takes a long walk off a short pier (like mine frequently does - just ask my wife @Featherbelle ). For example:

Chapter Three - Arguing with Toilets and Other Inanities

Screenshot-55.jpg
    Meanwhile, Jen was busy berating the toilet; no, I don’t know what it did to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Jen off. But considering the fact that it has to sit there and take 🐸🐸🐸🐸 from everyone…
    Screenshot-57.jpg
    Of course, that didn’t make Haruo or Tosh very happy since they both had to use the toilet and Jen was in their way making sure that the toilet knew just exactly what a piece of feces-eating plumbing that it was.
    Screenshot-56.jpg
    Evidently the line-up eventually got to move since Jen finally got tired of criticizing the toilet’s eating habits.

Yeah...let's just say that some of the commentary can get exceedingly hilarious if you do an ISBI.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer

just hahahaha hilarious lol thanks for posting I will take a further look at the link you posted later :)<3
    edited September 2020
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer

just hahahaha hilarious lol thanks for posting I will take a further look at the link you posted later :)<3

My wife tells me I've got a weird sense of humor. Especially when I start writing ISBIs.
    After he’d finished cooking pancakes; Haruo went across the way to the park to go harvest some grapes…then when he was done with that, he came back and unplugged the toilet. Evidently after all the scolding, its feelings were hurt and got a lump in its throat; probably toilet paper.

I tend to look at things rather on a skewed angle and run with it. If I could crack jokes way faster, I'd be a comedian.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • liizzys1302liizzys1302 Posts: 53 Member
    One of the funnest gameplay's I ever had was when I decided to mix a homeless teen with fairies. The homeless teen basically lived in an abandoned park on the edge of Bridgeport that had nothing except a few lettuce plants growing to keep her alive. It was summer so she had to keep running down to the lake and taking cover in the public toilets or swimming in the lake to stop herself from burning alive, she frequently tried to sleep in the library but kept getting taken "home" by the police after 10pm and she never went to school. After she'd aged up into a young adult one night she was kidnapped by two fairies (a king and his sister) as they needed a human to produce a heir (little did they know that this human was evil). She woke up in the basement of a fairy castle in Moonlight Falls and got escorted upstairs to the dining room by the kings sister where a "spell" (i cheated their relationship up) was cast onto her and she fell in love with the king, got married to him and fell pregnant. After that she got banished to the basement where she woke up in the middle of the night with the spell worn off (cheated their relationship down) she was angry and decided to explore. She found a tower where there was an alchemy station and she went up their night after night to teach herself alchemy. When she had the baby it was a fairy so it lived in the castle and she wasn't allowed contact with it. Unfortunately at that point something happened and all my saves where deleted but the plan was to eventually transform the girl into a witch where she would then cast horrible spells onto the king and his sister as revenge (and rightfully so).