Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts on TS4 pre-mades in general?

I have noticed when I decide to play the pre-made sims in The Sims 4. They have no relationships with any other sims besides the ones that live with them.

For example, Johnny Zest was suppose to have some connection with the Landgraabs as if he is disowned according to the biography. However there are no relationship between them??

Usually with the previous series, they have premade sims who have relationships outside of the house and you can be left with a surprise, a particular storyline you have a choice to follow or do it differently like a married sim who happen to have a romantic relationship with a maid like Daniel Pleasant or that single sim Claire Ursine who is unexpectedly pregnant with their ex boyfriend's child the moment you start playing with her. And questioning why the rich Landgraabs and Altos dislike each other? Who was Lolita Goth ghosting around TS3 Goth house? Where is Bella Goth when she was missing in TS2? All those mysterious unanswered questions.

Personally I don't find the premades enjoyable in TS4 without a storyline set for them as it feels like a blank pre-made with a name, trait and job but I'm curious on what other players think.

Are you happy with these premade sims that are only set with traits and jobs with no connection with anyone on the outside world without any unexpected dramatic storylines?

No disrespect to anyone who does, I would be curious how you would built their story if you were playing them!

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    First order of business. Delete the premades. And if there is a Sims 5 please let the Goths and Pancakes and Calientes and Don Lothario rest in peace.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    I would of preferred them to be set up with more back story and relationships. A few times I've started playing a pre-made family and nothing is set up like the bio tells it should be. It's a shame and it gives off a real lazy they couldn't be bothered to set things up properly vibe.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like the premades. 🤷‍♂️ Unless I’m creating a save with a certain theme, my game tends to revolve around them. I don’t typically play them as my “main” sim but they’re always part of my sims’ lives in some way.

I do agree with @Sharonia that it would be nice if they had more detailed backstories.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    To me, they're just "window dressing"--I never play them. I do however dress them up in crazy outfits, just to liven things up around town
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I fixed the relationships with mods and then allow the ones who fit my gameplay to stay. I delete those that I will never see fit any of my storylines.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I suppose there are a few I like (such as the Behr sisters, as well as Vlad and the Vatore siblings), but all of them tend to need a little fixing up in my opinion (if I regularly play them, they have a modified version in my library I replace the family with every new game). Like you mentioned, it's a shame that they seem so isolated from each other.

It was interesting back in the old days to figure out who was Nervous Subjects' birth family. It made them interesting, even if I did not usually play them. In fact, a lot of the times when I am playing a game long term I like to make "connector Sims" to make random families between the neighbors. Especially for Sims that will eventually marry into my played family.

I cannot really say they are that much worse than the old premade families, but I miss the secrets, the personality, and the bios. However, those are more a problem with the game itself, rather than the premades.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    First order of business. Delete the premades. And if there is a Sims 5 please let the Goths and Pancakes and Calientes and Don Lothario rest in peace.

I would miss them too much tho haha! When I first played TS2, I was like where the hell is Bob & Betty Newbie then it took me months to realize Brandi Broke was their kid :D

But then again, I could create them on my own!
    edited September 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I would of preferred them to be set up with more back story and relationships. A few times I've started playing a pre-made family and nothing is set up like the bio tells it should be. It's a shame and it gives off a real lazy they couldn't be bothered to set things up properly vibe.

Totally agree, they couldn't be bothered and made this whole alternative universe. Wish they stick with the storyline or at least made a story on why Bella went missing or if she returned home.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I usually don't delete the ones with history like the Goths, Laandgrabs, Pancakes, Calientes...they're like old, familiar faces. If they're just randomly generated, they might have to go
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Premades in The Sims 4 were clearly an afterthought.

The iconic families (the Caliente's especially) look absolutely nothing like the way they used to. TS2/TS3 used to go all out with rich backstories, preset family trees, memories of events which matched their backstories, etc. This is all gone from The Sims 4, and I really dislike the "alternate universe" choice they made. Guess it's kind of symbolic of The Sims 4 at large... pretend like the past 15 years didn't happen?

As far as The Sims 4's original premades, they're just equally as disappointing. Original base game premade families are boring. The Pancakes exist only because someone on Reddit made a viral meme. The first gay couple to ship with an expansion has a backstory that has nothing more than they're gay and they can't decide who should walk the dog.

What happened to the drama? Are we so afraid to offend people that the depth of backstories has to be who should walk the family pet? :neutral:
  • RamiSamiiRamiSamii Posts: 222 Member
    I enjoy them more or less. Classics like the Caliente family, Goth's, Landgraab's, and more make me so nostalgic. I tweak everyone here and there of course, but I think most do (at least the people who keep them.) The depth they had in TS2 is of course heavily desired though.
    37mfj.png
    @Sk8rblaze well said! I think comparing the sims 4 Caliente sisters & Don Lothario to the previous series. You can tell its becoming child friendly by the outfits they wear and their living arrangements
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    i don't play ts4 anymore, but my fav premade was caleb vatore. casually, vampires is the only pack i like from ts4. i also played a lot with wolfgang munch, morgyn ember & max villareal, however i changed them so much that they were almost my own sims. i carried them all to previous sims games but i had to invent a backstory for them cuz ts4 premades are as shallow as the game itself
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    i don't play ts4 anymore, but my fav premade was caleb vatore. casually, vampires is the only pack i like from ts4. i also played a lot with wolfgang munch, morgyn ember & max villareal, however i changed them so much that they were almost my own sims. i carried them all to previous sims games but i had to invent a backstory for them cuz ts4 premades are as shallow as the game itself

Oh that's interesting, new premades in the older sims series! You should share photos!
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »

Oh that's interesting, new premades in the older sims series! You should share photos!

would love to, though i took very few screenshots (i can share them if you're curious lol) and rn can't play any game cuz i'm using an empty pc since my old one broke. but yeah, it was a lot of fun seeing those premades having some kind of personality for the first time
  • YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    s4 premades mostly arent valid to me. There is barely any depth in story, sadly.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I like them, they make the game feel like an old friend to me. (I didn't realize this though until I'd deleted everyone and then missed seeing them around.) I really miss the depth in story and the drama set up in the Sims 2 for them, I know some of them have some dubious features but they make good templates to play with if you're feeling lazy and want to change the eyes and play dress up. Back stories, I make my own and I link them all up in Cas if I don't have MCCC loaded in (Because that Mod is everything!) So they get stranger and weirder back stories than ever because I like playing strange and weird. Yes the whole presentation does feel very bare bones and the gameplay itself lack lustre but I am shallow and like multi tasking and the graphics so I see this as punishment for not having greater integrity and sticking with the Sims 2. But back to the question, making over all of the premades is something I really enjoy doing, especially turning Mila Munch from a dowdy single mum to a racy maneater whose youngest son has to go to the Fyres for any kind of parenting. (I mean there's a reson why Gunther is such a drip and Wolfgang is all maladjusted after all and that house has such a large patio (Dead husbands).).
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I love premades in Sims 4 and I don't want to play without them. I once tried and deleted all of them. I instantly regretted it, I missed them and the world felt empty without familiar faces.
    I don't care about more backstories than their descriptions.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    First thought is: Delete the premades.
    Second thought is: Except Erwin from Strangerville. He can stay.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    They're background NPCs, friends/enemies or romance partners. I don't play them.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    In my custom save, they're non-existent, which is the main save I play. Before I made that, I usually just ignored the majority of them. If I had a teen Sim, I usually had them befriend Yuki Behr. She's probably one of my favorites. Actually, I like most of the Windenburg townies. As for playing with them, I tried that once and got bored because I couldn't get attached.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Premades are all I ever play, and all of them get to live and be favored in my saves.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• LiefLief Posts: 108 Member
    i love premades they are are kind of my hyperfixtion iwish they had friends other then us but when i got the mcc mod that was kind of fixed i love max and luna viraviell
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I dont care much about their stories because I've never played any of them and never intend to play any of them.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    When I first started playing TS2 and I read the story and played a family in the game and then discovered it didn't play out the storyline (I didn't know about that whole sandbox thing back then) it kinda turned me off. Especially that family with the twins that would not stop fighting. First sims I ever killed and I felt so guilty. Like I had to repent and everything. So from then on I played my own sims and I only interact with pre-mades as friends. Occasionally I might have one of my sims marry one, but mostly I played the sims I created.

What is the Pancakes reddit meme?

Oh, the 1st premade family I played in TS4 is the Landgraab. I made Geoffrey black - he ended up being my favorite sim, so I just refuse to let him die; I love him as an Elder. I also made Malcolm good and bi-racial. I don't like evil sims, not to play directly. But I don't know the Landgraab folklore except that they seemingly own everything.

In another save, I didn't play the Landgraab family so I didn't recolor Geoffrey. When my Sim visited them Geoffrey was grilling and caught fire and just burned to death. So my Sim, once invited into the house did the thing that makes his spirit stay and then befriended, fell in love with and impregnated Nancy twice. Oh yeah, Nancy had another child with Geoffrey before he died, so she had 3 toddlers and evil teenage Malcolm. She lost her mind. When her club, Da Cleaners, came over to help clean her house and fix the broken things, she promptly started screaming, took off her clothes and ran naked throughout the house. I don't play with mods, I wasn't controlling her, and that was funny as all heck.

For the most part tho, I play sims I create.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱