Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backing Up/Transferring Saves/Tray?

cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
I've got a new refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop coming tomorrow. In all honesty, I should have gone with the 1TB hard drive option instead of the 250GB SSD option (as my 125GB SSD laptop is full, and it doesn't have that much on it) as it was the same cost; and I honestly don't think the difference in speeds would be that bad in my use. But, with an i7 3770 (kinda outdated, it seems) and 16GB RAM, despite not being a gaming PC with a GPU and those specs (which was a bit out of my budget), it should run most games I play much better than this almost six-year-old i5/8GB Asus.

Here's the thing, I'm wondering about backing up my game folders. How exactly do I do this correctly? Can I use my OneDrive, or should I stick to a flash drive?

Comments

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    I've got a new refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop coming tomorrow. In all honesty, I should have gone with the 1TB hard drive option instead of the 250GB SSD option (as my 125GB SSD laptop is full, and it doesn't have that much on it) as it was the same cost; and I honestly don't think the difference in speeds would be that bad in my use. But, with an i7 3770 (kinda outdated, it seems) and 16GB RAM, despite not being a gaming PC with a GPU and those specs (which was a bit out of my budget), it should run most games I play much better than this almost six-year-old i5/8GB Asus.

Here's the thing, I'm wondering about backing up my game folders. How exactly do I do this correctly? Can I use my OneDrive, or should I stick to a flash drive?

I stuck to a flash drive when I transferred all mine :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Use an external hard drive and transfer these folders: saves, tray, and mods (if you have them).
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    I've always used a flash drive. But, make sure you don't just grab the folder from your flash drive, but rather make a copy of it. That way if disaster strikes, like it did when I had to send my gaming rig to the shop, you have an automatic back-up. Instead of having to start completely all over. From scratch. As I ended up doing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I used One Drive when I upgraded computers. It was kind of an accidental thing because I forgot to back them up first. Luckily, at that time I think OneDrive was set to automatically back up certain things. I can't really remember because it's been 3 years. I still use OneDrive to make month backups of my Sims 4 files.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    I’ve transfer my data about twice now. I use a USB stick and copy the sims file and paste it and it works wonders
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    Doesn’t matter much where you put your backup as long as it’s on a separate physical drive or the cloud. I use an external SSD but OneDrive would be a good option since you don’t have to worry about hardware failure.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I use external hard drive and keep copies of saves I had 5 years ago. Everything works.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited September 2020
    Thanks guys! OneDrive, once setting up and logging in this PC automatically moved everything over once I installed Origin and the game.

I am probably going to have to buy an external hard drive since this PC only has a 250GB SSD, as opposed to a larger hard drive (and like I said, the 1TB hard drive was the same cost as the option with the SSD that I got). Any recommendations?
  • SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member
    Hi there! I totally support connecting the sims folder to a cloud backup service if you use one. Can’t speak about Windows and OneDrive, as I use Mac and my Sims folder is stored automatically with the rest of the Documents folder in the cloud, while being accessible too in local backups. So if you can sync your files with a cloud service, I would recommend it for extra safety :)
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    cody6268 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! OneDrive, once setting up and logging in this PC automatically moved everything over once I installed Origin and the game.

I am probably going to have to buy an external hard drive since this PC only has a 250GB SSD, as opposed to a larger hard drive (and like I said, the 1TB hard drive was the same cost as the option with the SSD that I got). Any recommendations?

For their lower price (but sometimes-questionable reliability) go for a Western Digital or Seagate external.

For quality go for a Samsung (especially their SSDs). They’re more expensive but the speeds are more consistent and they’re less prone to failure.

My wife recently bought a 5 TB Seagate external HD on sale for $90.

Depends on your priority.
  • itoldusoitolduso Posts: 60 Member
    Whatever you do...don't ever use SanDisk. Their usd drive failed, and I lost everything. Paid for a private cloud service...NO PROBLEMS.