Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You are not listening

124...Next

Comments

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    The fact that they just have to make a little effort to please simmers is what makes it all so depressing. I haven't touched Sims 4 since the SW pack was announced, because it was so depressing and I actually only felt anxiety even thinking about the game. Something that are supposed to decrease stress and give me joy and entertainment ending up just stressing my out and making me anxious is too sad. At this point I'm not even sure I'll ever load the game up again.

In my dreams Maxis has worked on improving the game behind the scenes for the past year and I dream that they will surprise everyone with improving the base game with crucial fixes and addons and then give us in depth packs for a completely new era of Sims 4. But that's just a dream. And even my dreams about the sims are slowly dying. It's truly sad when I soon can't even dream about Sims anymore. :'(
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    If they are actually listening the situation is even worse because they would be ignoring us!
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I think the devs backed themselves into a corner with certain decisions made early on in the game. Too much got changed from earlier sims games. I find many times nowadays devs get hung up on one large gimmick and the rest of the game/program gets neglected. This is true in the sims 4.
  • MadaveryMadavery Posts: 4 New Member
    As someone who went from playing the Sims 1, skipped 2 and 3 and hopped over to the Sims 4, I was also initially puzzled and frustrated with the complaints I keep hearing on forums and youtube comments. Sims 4 was just such an improvement from the original and I had no other life simulation game with which I can compare it to. Now, after 2 years of playing the Sims 4 and a little bit of the Sims 2 (courtesy of my awesome brother), I begin to understand and share the sentiments expressed by a lot of other dissatisfied simmers. This latest iteration of the sims is incredibly lacking especially compared to the rich interactions and abundant character in the Sims 2.

I feel if they had just focused less on adding more gimmicks, like Journey to Batuu and instead focused more on systems, like an amusement park pack that adds amusement parks to the game with a system that allows simmers to create their own amusement parks (and with how creative simmers are, I'm sure they'd find other ways to make use of this system), there would be less complaints. Instead, the packs are always locked on one thing, one specific thing.

Sims 4 is not about providing us with pen and paper to create our own stories, it's about giving us a coloring book with very defined lines. Everything is so sanitized in this game.

Mods really are the only way you can flesh out a life-simulation game. It would take too much time and energy (not to mention money) for a game company to try and put everything in the Sims. Instead they should focus on giving modders the framework to add more stuff in the game. Like the animations. I, too, am unhappy with the lack of variety in the animations, especially the romance interactions. So much is lost when you have no variable animation system.

But who am I talking to? Certainly not the devs.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    how is people still making excuses up their 🌺🌺🌺🌺 to defend the devs and the sims 4. i really can't understand how are they not realizing what we are trying to say when we give negative feedback or when we compare to past sims games. it really gives me the sensation these people are either baiting or are being paid by ea/maxis. it's not about not agreeing with someone, there are limits to common sense and some people here is going beyond the line of what's logical. jesus

Sometimes I think the people making these excuses must have never played any of the other Sims games (or any other games period?), and therefore have no clue what is actually possible. There is absolutley no excuse for the way this game lags behind its predecessors (2004 and 2009) for ANYTHING. And yet, it does. That's absurd. There is no excuse.

I have agree as they released for me an uninspiring game with problems that they the devs are responsible for fixing or tweaking and they have an poor track record in doing so. Yes, EA is the publisher and they have an different function than an developer they provide the budget or financial support and not to an certain extent in fixing or tweaking the game. So I agree there is no excuse and Maxis was once the tops for me but not so much these days.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

Everybody hated Rod Humble when the Sims 3 came out. It came out very glitchy and he was in charge then. I expect it'll be the same when he brings out his new game, whatever it is.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/317148/rod-humble-leaves-the-sims-franchise

That is an archive thread so don't add to it. It comes from 2010!

This thread was a fascinating read. Especially the part where a lot of the complaints about Sims 3 are the same complaints about Sims 4. Yet people have softened and enjoy the Sims 3 now they have a newer version to complain about.
    It just seems that way. This community doesn't seem to be happy unless it's complaining and the linked thread made me see the community WAS just as bad when Sims 3 came out.

Wow. :|

Yea one time i went back to read some various old threads when I was looking for a particular topic and simmers were complaining just like now. The gurus were trying to interact with them on here and many responses were rude, unproductive, demanding and harsh (imo). It was only leading to potential arguments so I see why the gurus backed out.
    The only way this ts4 complaining will end is if ts5 comes out they can finally move on to the next stage of complaining.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I finally uninstalled TS4 yesterday. I'm done with this iteration of the game. Everything you said in the OP is the reason why. The team does NOT listen. They make what they want, then occasionally they'll implement a lackluster version of something people have been wanting, then go right back to doing what they want. I'm tired of it. I'm not giving any more money to EA to be treated like this.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

Everybody hated Rod Humble when the Sims 3 came out. It came out very glitchy and he was in charge then. I expect it'll be the same when he brings out his new game, whatever it is.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/317148/rod-humble-leaves-the-sims-franchise

That is an archive thread so don't add to it. It comes from 2010!

This thread was a fascinating read. Especially the part where a lot of the complaints about Sims 3 are the same complaints about Sims 4. Yet people have softened and enjoy the Sims 3 now they have a newer version to complain about.
    It just seems that way. This community doesn't seem to be happy unless it's complaining and the linked thread made me see the community WAS just as bad when Sims 3 came out.

Wow. :|

i mean is it really our fault if the game keeps downgrading? do you think people has fun seeing how the franchise keeps getting ruined year by year?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020

I have argued all along that Sims 2 was the peak of the Sims.
    HOWEVER, in retrospect the shortcomings of Sims 3 were mostly there to compensate for the open world and not overloading old computers. It is a logical trade off, actually. And we got something tangible out of it. The complete lack of loading screens is a HUGE deal and everyone might not agree that it's worth sacrificing other details for, but again, at least it was an obvious and logical trade off.

SIms 4 vs Sims 3? We got loading screens back from Sims 2 (tho not as many) while getting even less detail and even less FUNCTIONS than Sims 3 with absolutely no noticeable trade off. At all.
    And that was because the supposed trade off was a mandatory online multiplayer nobody wanted and thank god never got implemented. But again, that meant we only got sacrifices and no bonuses. No trade off for the simplified animations, added loading screens and just ripped out functionality.

It truly is a matter of tradeoffs -- loss vs. benefit.

I agree that TS2 was the peak of the franchise. Yet, I never complained about TS3. To this day, it is still my favorite version of the franchise. Although TS3 didn't have the detail of TS2, I was happy with what I got in exchange: open worlds, story progression, the ability to control household members who are on different lots, a consistent time continuum...

For me, TS3 gave me everything that I'd ever desired for TS2, the features that were gained outweighed the detail that was lost. In TS4, the opposite has occurred. I can't understand the purpose of the sacrifice. What exactly was gained by going back to loading screens? How was the simulation improved as a result? How were the personalities of the Sims improved as a result?

I know what the Gurus have said. However, for me, what they aspired to do was completely different from what they managed to achieve. Basically, a bargain was struck with the community: we're going to change this so that we may do that. However, the Sims are not smarter, their emotions are not better, I do not rule. In other words, the developers talked a good game but they didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

The ultimate result is a loss of trust. After six years of waiting, I no longer trust them to make good on any of it. I heard that TS3 for Windows may be getting a 64-bit upgrade and that's where I'll rest my hopes. Barring that, I'll be waiting to see what Paradox brings to the table. Paralives is already a no-brainer. Unrivaled customization, seasons, and pets in the base game? Take my money!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    Cynna wrote: »

I have argued all along that Sims 2 was the peak of the Sims.
    HOWEVER, in retrospect the shortcomings of Sims 3 were mostly there to compensate for the open world and not overloading old computers. It is a logical trade off, actually. And we got something tangible out of it. The complete lack of loading screens is a HUGE deal and everyone might not agree that it's worth sacrificing other details for, but again, at least it was an obvious and logical trade off.

SIms 4 vs Sims 3? We got loading screens back from Sims 2 (tho not as many) while getting even less detail and even less FUNCTIONS than Sims 3 with absolutely no noticeable trade off. At all.
    And that was because the supposed trade off was a mandatory online multiplayer nobody wanted and thank god never got implemented. But again, that meant we only got sacrifices and no bonuses. No trade off for the simplified animations, added loading screens and just ripped out functionality.

It truly is a matter of tradeoffs -- loss vs. benefit.

I agree that TS2 was the peak of the franchise. Yet, I never complained about TS3. To this day, it is still my favorite version of the franchise. Although TS3 didn't have the detail of TS2, I was happy with what I got in exchange: open worlds, story progression, the ability to control household members who are on different lots, a consistent time continuum...

For me, TS3 gave me everything that I'd ever desired for TS2, the features that were gained outweighed the detail that was lost. In TS4, the opposite has occurred. I can't understand the purpose of the sacrifice. What exactly was gained by going back to loading screens? How was the simulation improved as a result? How were the personalities of the Sims improved as a result?

I know what the Gurus have said. However, for me, what they aspired to do was completely different from what they managed to achieve. Basically, a bargain was struck with the community: we're going to change this so that we may do that. However, the Sims are not smarter, their emotions are not better, I do not rule. In other words, the developers talked a good game but they didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

The ultimate result is a loss of trust. After six years of waiting, I no longer trust them to make good on any of it. I heard that TS3 for Windows may be getting a 64-bit upgrade and that's where I'll rest my hopes. Barring that, I'll be waiting to see what Paradox brings to the table. Paralives is already a no-brainer. Unrivaled customization, seasons, and pets in the base game? Take my money!

I surely hope that upgrade to 64 bit Sims 3 hold true as I would be excited and to sweeten the wishes I would definitely love to see an remake of Sims 2 since this is the era of remakes, (Not holding my breath :) ) I agree the tradeoffs to get Sims 4 to run smoothly for me was terrible as it lacks oomph for me, instead of tweaking or working on the problems they took the easy way out as they did with another game name I will not say.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    mcorral wrote: »
    It shocks me to read a post of EA/Maxis saying that they are listening to simmers. I'm sorry, but you are NOT.

Simmers, have been asking for cars, babies, farms, romantic interactions, more depth in content, more daily actions and activities and you... you just release something that nobody asked for and now, seeing the forums and votes from simmers, it seems the pack is a dissaster that very few people likes. What were you thinking?

In this iteration of the franchise I can see tons of wrong decisions, one after another. From day one of this game people said that The Sims should not be an online game, ever. What did you do? Start the coding for an online game. Uproar came on forums and quickly you tried to change the game into... this... kind of... ¿life simulation game? Wrong choice, you clearly didn't listen.

People have been asking for more customization. We want to controll our game and feel free to customize as much as possible. What did you do? No Create a World, No Create a Style, restrictions everywhere, no custom apartments... Wrong choice, you clearly didn't listen.

A huge number of different packs were released and the people complained about the poor quality of the packs giving precise reasons of why the game will not improve until you fix some features in the base game. More objects WILL NOT improve this game. What are you doing? Releasing more and more stuff with zero replayability, lots of bugs and lacking of depth and integration with other packs. Wrong choice, you clearly are not listening.

People is complaining about the game being so childish and boring. The game lost the irony and black humour. The game lost its dark side: graveyards and burglars amongs other things. Interactions are way to childish or femenine. There's no challenge in anything. You just reach the top of the career easily, earn lots of money... Sims are almost invincible, they will never die even if you try hard to kill them. Nothing bad happens in the game. What are you doing about it? Nothing. Wrong choice, you clearly are not listening.

Many simmers are talking about how the game could improve a little bit adding:
    - Emotion system should be reworked. More tratis.
    - Add wants and fears, favourite music, colour and music.
    - Fixing all existing bugs.
    - Improving some interactions completely broken at the moment like sims not siting during dinner or watching a film, amongst many others.
    - Story progression, family tree, more family interactions and awareness of grandparents...
    - An extension of San Myshuno with apartments that can be customized some way. Maybe adding shells... Add the posibility of creating our own apartments.

I know you want to do new things. There is really a huge amount of things that have never been done yet and I'm sure people will like it:
    - A romance pack: attraction system, slow dance, dating v2.0, have a walk together hand by hand...
    - Winter actitivies with a big world like Norway with at least 15 lots. Activities that can be replayed in other worlds as well.
    - Farm pack.
    - Cars: it can be done. When your sim wants to travel just make the sim get to a car and leave the neighbourhood. Simple. New skill: car repairing, new job: car fixer, new lot type: garage.

There are lots and lots and lots of things that can be done, but you just decided to look the other way and release something like... this pack and say that the next EP will not have babies, cars or anything people is asking for. Wrong choice. You are not listening.

So, we came to this situation where there are lots of simmers leaving the franchise and posting sad and negative reviews of this game. I really don't know if you don't care, you just simply look the other way... Don't you see that many people is posting eagerly about other future games like this? Don't you see that you are loosing your fan base? You just have to enter youtube to see loads of youtubers complaining about this game. Some of them even stopped reviewing the packs. Really? Can't you see it? I can't possibly believe you are doing this to this game. I suggest you just stop doing whatever you are doing and think about this. This is NOT going in the right direction.

But you know what? I feel very tired of posting this kind of comments trying in any possible way to make you understand that this is not the way. Don't take this post like a rant, I really, really, really love The Sims, but not TS4. I'm trying to be constructive giving feedback from what I read on forums, youtube, and my friends opinions, but enough is enough. I quit.

Enjoy your game.

You’re beating a dead horse. We’re 6 years down the line; it ain’t gonna happen.

—T
    how is people still making excuses up their 🌺🌺🌺🌺 to defend the devs and the sims 4.

Lost many battles but the fight is not over yet.

Don't let the Dark side win, keep on resisting until the end :p !

weird flex but ok
    Cinebar wrote: »
    how is people still making excuses up their 🌺🌺🌺🌺 to defend the devs and the sims 4. i really can't understand how are they not realizing what we are trying to say when we give negative feedback or when we compare to past sims games. it really gives me the sensation these people are either baiting or are being paid by ea/maxis. it's not about not agreeing with someone, there are limits to common sense and some people here is going beyond the line of what's logical. jesus

Oh, they know exactly what we mean when we give negative feedback, it's just that it doesn't matter to them anymore. I see it so many times, those who defend TS4 actually don't really care about anything that is pointed out that is subpar and or poorly implemented or not as good as past games. They like TS4 exactly how it is.

I read often this or that feature is no longer important to them. They actually don't like a life simulator (fully a life simulator) but prefer other genres to be in this game rather than improved babies, and or improved traits and personalities, and or improved whatever.

I read where some say they didn't like this or that anyway. The old arguments like well, I never liked the CASt in TS3. It took too long for me to make up my mind so I was in it all day, and glad it's gone from TS4. :o

Those type of answers prove (and it's said about many things not in TS4 or badly implemented) they really did care about a life simulator at all. Or they would stop defending it and join with those who have clearly pointed out what needs to be improved over a pack that most didn't even want.

i agree! i'm upset at these people that instead of encouraging an improved game and basic features to be added to it, they keep on saying how they love ts4 the way it is and keep on saying how everything else is not needed. and upsets me because all their "positive" feedback does is telling devs they are doing an amazing job and that any critic they receive comes from ungrateful people or whatever. because of that kind of people we can't have nice things. it's like talking with a bunch of flat earthers. these people don't seem to care about the franchise, they only care about their own fun.
    ts4 is a life simulator videogame that makes part on one of the biggest franchises that are already considered a classic, of course it's expected much more than what ts4 is.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Oh, they know exactly what we mean when we give negative feedback, it's just that it doesn't matter to them anymore. I see it so many times, those who defend TS4 actually don't really care about anything that is pointed out that is subpar and or poorly implemented or not as good as past games. They like TS4 exactly how it is.

I read often this or that feature is no longer important to them. They actually don't like a life simulator (fully a life simulator) but prefer other genres to be in this game rather than improved babies, and or improved traits and personalities, and or improved whatever.

I read where some say they didn't like this or that anyway. The old arguments like well, I never liked the CASt in TS3. It took too long for me to make up my mind so I was in it all day, and glad it's gone from TS4. :o

Those type of answers prove (and it's said about many things not in TS4 or badly implemented) they really did care about a life simulator at all. Or they would stop defending it and join with those who have clearly pointed out what needs to be improved over a pack that most didn't even want.

i agree! i'm upset at these people that instead of encouraging an improved game and basic features to be added to it, they keep on saying how they love ts4 the way it is and keep on saying how everything else is not needed. and upsets me because all their "positive" feedback does is telling devs they are doing an amazing job and that any critic they receive comes from ungrateful people or whatever. because of that kind of people we can't have nice things. it's like talking with a bunch of flat earthers. these people don't seem to care about the franchise, they only care about their own fun.
    ts4 is a life simulator videogame that makes part on one of the biggest franchises that are already considered a classic, of course it's expected much more than what ts4 is.

Haven't you read (recently) the new defense (after six years) now the tune has changed to something like well, this isn't a life simulator, it's a different game....that covers anything that would be missing or a mess in an actual life simulator. lol People like their fifteen minutes of fame in the cool kid club.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Haven't you read (recently) the new defense (after six years) now the tune has changed to something like well, this isn't a life simulator, it's a different game....that covers anything that would be missing or a mess in an actual life simulator. lol People like their fifteen minutes of fame in the cool kid club.

yeah...they will use anything as an excuse. some of them are most likely also getting paid by ea, because their arguments carry as much weight as an empty bag. or probably they're just baiting.
    sometimes it feels like someone is trying to sabotage the franchise.

yeah...they will use anything as an excuse. some of them are most likely also getting paid by ea, because their arguments carry as much weight as an empty bag. or probably they're just baiting.

EA pays a lot of gamers to do a lot of things. Not only do they pay with money (big money) but with perks, fame, promoting them, exposure, stickied posts, retweets, you name it, some get paid even if it's not in cash.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

EA pays a lot of gamers to do a lot of things. Not only do they pay with money (big money) but with perks, fame, promoting them, exposure, stickied posts, retweets, you name it, some get paid even if it's not in cash.

that's true. it's a practice that sadly everyone does. companies, politics, events, big places like hollywood itself. even small businesses.
    everyone seems to have a price.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,021 Member
    Just curious, since I've been out of the loop for a while, but have the Gurus said anything since the letter was released? Aside from Mr. E's posts here, I mean. Any info on the new EP, or about the next patch?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    I'm interested in seeing what they have to say about it too. The game needs to be more playable, and words won't make that happen. They need a results-driven action plan, and so far there's been no sign of any meaningful improvements on the horizon as of yet that I'm aware of.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Just curious, since I've been out of the loop for a while, but have the Gurus said anything since the letter was released? Aside from Mr. E's posts here, I mean. Any info on the new EP, or about the next patch?

Nope, zipped lips! Nothing more has been said. People are speculating when it will be announced, you know how that goes.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,230 Member
    edited October 2020
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    I agree that they aren't listening.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
    I think EP10 announcement is another proof that they are listening .

Yes, to lobbyists. I would have more respect if and when they decide to add in other actual 'cultural' practices they not remove them if they made the decission to add them. Stick to convictions without waviering. The shrine worshiping is a practice so I was waiting to see other religous cultures represented, but we see so many offended they added in any religous practice by any other religion (up to a point) so they removed some things. At least have the fortitude to stick to convictions.
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    Why i stuck to the Base Game don't waste your money... all you're paying for is a few more frivolous handfuls of items and interactions... indeed i feel they're more targeting kids and middle Teens who would be interested in this then they'll bug their parents to buy them lol, they fixed the Sims sitting at the tables though YEY! for that, they balanced it where they interact and sit at the tables when Eating and Drinking but they may get up and stand to talk, they still talk while Dancing, when there's a Guest they still may sit next to them to Eat or Drink and they can still eat while watching TV so i'm glad they listened there, i tested it while visiting a bar too and more people even get up to Dance now while some sit at the tables and chat so now you can put the tables to use.