Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Has Had It with The Sims 4

124...Next

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    thelawtman wrote: »
    I personally have never liked his videos. It has been apparent for a long time he had no interest in doing videos besides to make money. I don't need some random person telling me not to like a game.

@thelawtman It says review in the title of course he is going to say his opinion at the end of if he likes or doesn't like a game. That's what reviews are for, for people to see a product through someone else's perspective in order to decide whether to buy it or not.

If you don't like a person telling you to/or not to like a game then you shouldn't be watching reviews in general.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Didn't he flat out refuse a contract of some kind for the above reason?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »

You mean when he refused to be a game changer? I forgot which review he mentioned that on, but it was quite a while ago.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yes, it was a few years back if I remember correctly. I think it was around the time Cats Dogs was released when he talked about it.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Hasta luego, Diego. I only ever started to watch one of his reviews and stopped after a few minutes of his sniveling. He needs to find games that appeal to him or stop reviewing genres that he doesn't like.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    Monaveil wrote: »
    Hasta luego, Diego. I only ever started to watch one of his reviews and stopped after a few minutes of his sniveling. He needs to find games that appeal to him or stop reviewing genres that he doesn't like.

Clearly you didn't read through this thread and have no idea who LGR is. He has always been very passionate about this game genre. He just doesn't enjoy the Sims 4 like he did with it's predecessors and he has very valid reasons for feeling the way he does.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    KayeStar wrote: »

You mean when he refused to be a game changer? I forgot which review he mentioned that on, but it was quite a while ago.
    He mentioned it here:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2020
    Clearly you missed the part where I said that I started to watch one of his videos and stopped after a few minutes. This indicates that I'm aware of who LGR is. I personally didn't like his style so I stopped watching. I know he has fans among Sims players which is OK. I'm just not one of them. Different strokes.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2020
    Clearly you missed the part where I said that I started to watch one of his videos and stopped after a few minutes. This indicates that I'm aware of who LGR is. I personally didn't like his style so I stopped watching. I know he has fans among Sims players which is OK. I'm just not one of them. Different strokes.

I think they responded, not because of your preference in choosing a different reviewer, but because you wrongly insinuated his fault as a creator is covering a genre he has no interest in:
    He needs to find games that appeal to him or stop reviewing genres that he doesn't like.

He's been covering simulation games released, if I remember correctly, as early as the late 80s/early 90s onwards.

The issue has nothing to do with him or anyone else, but rather that The Sims 4's gameplay doesn't aspire to fall within the same genre as the predecessors, which is why it's the most controversial main titles ever in the series' history.
  • HarpuaHarpua Posts: 14 New Member
    Of all the people who post videos about the Sims, he's the only one I can stand. Most Sims videos are just too stupid.

Funny thing is that I only went to his YouTube to view his Sims videos. The rest of it is just kind of weird. It's like a 30 year old who's stuck in 8th grade.

I admire what he does, but it's just not my thing. I have a certain nostalgia for old games, but no desire to play them. As frustrating as Sims 4 can be, at least it's current.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Harpua wrote: »
    Of all the people who post videos about the Sims, he's the only one I can stand. Most Sims videos are just too stupid.

Funny thing is that I only went to his YouTube to view his Sims videos. The rest of it is just kind of weird. It's like a 30 year old who's stuck in 8th grade.

I admire what he does, but it's just not my thing. I have a certain nostalgia for old games, but no desire to play them. As frustrating as Sims 4 can be, at least it's current.

He's looking forward to Paralives and Patreon supports it. That's totally new.

@Harpua You know another person who is very similar to LGR and "stuck in 8th grade"? Will Wright, the creator of the Sims. Probably on of the biggest nerd of them all is the reason why we're all here playing this game.
    Scobre wrote: »

He also talked about the contract situation and why he refused in his video "Sims 4 two years of meh" at the end.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Harpua You know another person who is very similar to LGR and "stuck in 8th grade"? Will Wright, the creator of the Sims. Probably on of the biggest nerd of them all is the reason why we're all here playing this game.
    What I love about him. Always nice to hear how much of a sci-fi fan he is too. I loved watching him and his daughter play Battle Bots together. That was a fun show.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited September 2020

Hes hardly reviewing genres he doesn't like. He's been playing since Sims 1, he's a long term fan

Also, If anyone is looking for in depth thoughtful Sims videos, you might want to try Carl, of Carl's Sims Guides. He's doing videos now.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    It was only a matter of time. He's been disappointed in TS4's content roll-out for a while, like many of us have. The devs haven't been listening to the core playerbase when it comes to the games flaws and what kind of content people actually want.

Core systems like the AI, the away system, relationships, and the emotion system are janky and half-baked. Some features are over-tuned while others are under-tuned. The only two lifestages that are really well-defined are Young Adult and Toddler, with Children, Teens, Elders, and Adults all needing at least some enhancements. Instead of making Babies more life-like and detailed than previous entries, they just made the same lame Babies as always and then glued them to the crib, breaking the thin veneer of kayfabe that duped most players into thinking they weren't objects. The core occult line-up is still not completed. Ghosts need a serious re-work. Plantsims are a temporary status effect. Aliens need more appearance options and the ability to eliminate their human disguise or at least sync the appearance of their true form and disguise like we can with vampire dark forms. Merfolk are...sad in all respects. Magic is just a bunch of cheat codes in gameplay form, with elemental spells that are basically useless (if my fire spell can't burn a sim to death or my lightning spell can't electrocute someone to death, it's worthless). A potentially great sci-fi theme was made into a discount themepark attraction for everyone too broke to afford a trip to a Disney park (Search your feelings. You know it to be true.). The Eco pack failed to deliver on any fun pollution-centered gameplay (No monsters? No mutants? No mutagenic ooze that could give sims superpowers? They totally dropped the ball!). Child and Toddler sims don't have default CAS or hidden hereditary access to unnatural hair colors (I spent the whole week last week recoloring the Child and Toddler hairs for the base game and all my packs to get those colors because I've had it with the "Only natural human hair colors" bull-plop). And the glitches. Oooohhhhh, the glitches...

Most players, regardless of playstyle, aren't getting what they want. Then, the devs had the nerve to say, "Well, we did all of the traditional content. Now we're going to make new themes that we want, regardless of the suggestions and complaints of our players." LGR is just as fed-up with the shallow content and poor design decisions as the rest of us, so I don't blame him for nopeing out on TS4 reviews and investing in Paralives. Heck, if I had a steady income right now, I'd probably be sponsoring them too!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 962 Member
    ArsTechnica just did a feature video of LGR where he touched on the Sims issue. He says he still loves the Sims series, if not the current iteration, and that he declined to join GameChangers because he was dubious about how much control EA would try to exert over his content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoVFPqND18&feature=youtu.be&disable_polymer=1
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    uh.. ok. I haven't watched him in years and I don't care that he's quitting.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    im going to miss his reviews but he has to do whats best for him. and if hes tired of the way the sims 4 is then thats that. its still sad to see a long term sims fan get to the point that he cant enjoy the game anymore. i hope someday EA gets their act together and makes better content or a better sims 5. or that one of the other games like paralives turns out to be a game changer because we need something else. and EA could use some compitetion.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020
    ArsTechnica just did a feature video of LGR where he touched on the Sims issue. He says he still loves the Sims series, if not the current iteration, and that he declined to join GameChangers because he was dubious about how much control EA would try to exert over his content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoVFPqND18&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;disable_polymer=1

Thanks so much for posting this! I was curious about what was exactly in the game changer contract and this video shed some light on it. It really does sound like selling your soul to the devil and just makes me not trust the game changers even more who signed on to it!

im going to miss his reviews but he has to do whats best for him. and if hes tired of the way the sims 4 is then thats that. its still sad to see a long term sims fan get to the point that he cant enjoy the game anymore. i hope someday EA gets their act together and makes better content or a better sims 5. or that one of the other games like paralives turns out to be a game changer because we need something else. and EA could use some compitetion.

He doesn't want to entirely stop reviewing The Sims franchise. It's just he no longer feels compelled to review each and every pack that comes out, at least in TS4 series. He said he needed a break from it and may review the next EP, presumably because it will have more content as opposed to stuff packs like Nifty Knitting and game packs like Star Wars. I agree with you and really hope TS5 will be so much better!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    Don't watch him myself but I know a lot of people do and enjoy his content, I feel for those that like watching his reviews and I wish him well in whatever he decides to do next.