Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Star Wars - I simply don't understand......

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    First, i'll say this. Based on my current understanding of what the pack is like (from much reading and youtube videos) I don't think I can justify paying $29.99 (CAD) for the new GP when it seems to be ..... more so than not... just a large stuff pack of build/buy items that pretty much only makes sense in the only world you can't build in.

Plus the spellcasters, aliens, and vampires can't use their occult powers in the new world of Batuu. And though you can use all the build items in all the other worlds.... apparently the new CAS items are limited to Batuu.

This has me a bit confused about the new GP. The sims team designed the new GP so that the CAS only works in one area of the game... and the build/buy items only work in a completely different area of the game. I mean.... seriously?

Speaking of build/buy items.... that's where it's the most confusing. Why create a world about something as popular as Star Wars.... add a great list of Star Wars build/buy items..... then decide to not offer the opportunity to use those Star Wars items in the Star Wars world?

I don't know about anyone else.... but i'm not interested in building a Star Wars house in New Crest, or Brindleton Bay. Talk about out of place. It just won't fit in.

Why didn't the sim's team offer a lot for us to build on? It could of been maybe 2 lots over in the corner somewhere away from their Star Wars design.

When the sims team said the worlds would be getting smaller, I didn't think they meant worlds with no lots. One.... even just one would have made a huge difference when trying to justify the price tag.

Wait whaaaaaaat?!😱😱😱😱 I didn't know this......
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    That's a completely different experience than having a lot to build, and live on.

And be able to lock the door so you don't get bothered by other sims.

Ok, for future reference..... i'm really going to need that cheat... lol.

bb.enablefreebuild
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Me neither, I am surprised how much effort that have went into this pack to reduce and restrict features from the sims4 base game and other packs. I think it's a strange way to expand the game, I understand that they might not have wanted too many crazy things happening on Batuu but I think that they went a bit too far. Reducing the worlds to simple neighborhoods with just one lot and making the rest of the houses into rabbit holes is reducing the game too much for my liking.

We might have reached a point where they no longer can make packs that can work with all the other packs in the game. At least if they want to make something that follows a very specific theme and they don't want to do any major changes to the game's coding.

I will bet a large pile of simoleons that every single restriction on this pack was put on place by Disney. There is no way they did this collaboration without researching every single aspect of The Sims community including modding and didn’t require that their copyrighted assets be protected from alteration as much as possible especially by less than family friendly mods. They keep extremely tight control over their image and their copyrights. So you can bet your sweet plumb bobs that this GP was going to look the way they wanted it to look and that it was going play the way they wanted it to play period, with as little alteration as possible.

My gut tells me that this was more of a have to than want to pack because of the contracts between EA and Disney/Star Wars, because there has been backlash against packs before and the gurus always defend them quite vigorously describing features on Twitter and saying “wait until the livestream”, or “there’s still a lot you haven’t seen”. But this time, nothing, crickets. No livestream, the pack was announced during Gamescom and that was really it mostly. The gurus vanished from Twitter except a few anemic tweets, one being “Howdy” and one being “ it has a large build and CAS catalog, and then Lyndsay’s attempt to calm the waters. They can’t contractually come out and say it’s a complete turkey so the best they could muster was to say as little as possible. Even if they were maybe excited about the initial concept I bet it turned to ashes in their mouths quickly once Disney got done laying out their tight parameters for the project.

It is a stuff pack, it should only cost $10.00 USD. I know I won’t pay more for it if I buy it at all. Some little part of me was hoping maybe I would see something on YouTube to make it seem worthwhile because I love Star Wars and S4, but no. This isn’t a Sims 4 GP. Not even close. It’s what everyone else has said it is. A Disney product placement advertisement for a theme park.

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2020
    I’ve been wondering if the Buy/Build items make sense to use in a regular suburban house in one of the other worlds, or if it would look weird.

I can usually find some items in every pack that I could use for any house and I’m wondering if that is the case here still or if the items are so specific to that Star Wars futuristic/grunge look that it would look odd.

Can someone verify?
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I’ve been wondering if the Buy/Build items make sense to use in a regular suburban house in one of the other worlds, or if it would look weird.

I can usually find some items in every pack that I could use for any house and I’m wondering if that is the case here still or if the items are so specifically that it would look odd.

From what I’ve seen in reviews, the bb items are the only redeeming factor of this advertisement. I’d buy it on sale if you really want the items (: Definitely not worth $20
    This isn’t a Sims 4 GP. Not even close. It’s what everyone else has said it is. A Disney product placement advertisement for a theme park.

I wouldn't want to be in that huge park with only one toilet. :lol:
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Pamtastic72
    I couldn't agree more. The more I find out about this pack the more it's obvious how it came to be.
    No way the team would put so much restriction without reason. I'm sure they were excited to work on star wars but also knew simmers wouldnt be happy with the way it had to be done.
    That's why I never entirely believe lyndsay saying it was her idea or however she said it. I believe she may have agreed to it but left out the inportant details.
    And you are right. The gurus have no promoted this pack like usual.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(

I can usually find some items in every pack that I could use for any house and I’m wondering if that is the case here still or if the items are so specific to that Star Wars futuristic/grunge look that it would look odd.

Can someone verify?

So far, the only thing I have seen in that regard that even remotely piques my interest is the curved bar. I would love to have that for my made over Stargazer Lounge.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    It’s very specific but from what I’ve seen in the reviews, there are floor tiles that could be nice for a terrace, and some potted plants maybe could be used too.

Can someone verify?

• muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited September 2020
    For those interested:

So far, i've watched the gamechanger reviews from Plumbella, Vixella, Deligracy, and James Turner. I haven't found a review from lilsimsie yet, but.... just now I found the one for Carls.

Plumbella:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUoqLNPU3Vo

Vixella:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnWJ-NoFJWI

Deligracy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhY-MUSeV4

James Turner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITnx29jrSE

Carls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sigf-YL7PY

lilsimsie: (i'll keep checking for her review)
    edited September 2020
    @muzickmage here are a couple more, all by English Simmer. She breaks them down into CAS, BB, and whether she feels it has replay value.
    @muzickmage here are a couple more, all by English Simmer. She breaks them down into CAS, BB, and whether she feels it has replay value.

Nice. I'll definitely check them out. Thank you.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited September 2020
    For those interested:

So far, i've watched the gamechanger reviews from Plumbella, Vixella, Deligracy, and James Turner. I haven't found a review from lilsimsie yet, but.... just now I found the one for Carls.

Plumbella:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUoqLNPU3Vo

Vixella:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnWJ-NoFJWI

Deligracy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhY-MUSeV4

James Turner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITnx29jrSE

Carls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sigf-YL7PY

lilsimsie: (i'll keep checking for her review)
    That’s because lilsimsie didn’t get it early she wasn’t one of the game changers that got early access to the pack.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Carl's review is out and he didn't get early access so maybe something later today for lilsimsie.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Carl's review is out and he didn't get early access so maybe something later today for lilsimsie.

True but we were all under the impression that the game would come out today and it came out yesterday.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

True but we were all under the impression that the game would come out today and it came out yesterday.

It did? Lol, I hadn’t noticed.

Yes, there are a couple there I haven't watched yet.... such as Fantazia. Thanks for adding the link.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I am getting strong stand alone vibes from this pack. Only instead of creating a new title they tacked it onto the main game. The restrictions and total departure from regular game play really remind me of TSM.
    logion wrote: »
    Me neither, I am surprised how much effort that have went into this pack to reduce and restrict features from the sims4 base game and other packs. I think it's a strange way to expand the game, I understand that they might not have wanted too many crazy things happening on Batuu but I think that they went a bit too far. Reducing the worlds to simple neighborhoods with just one lot and making the rest of the houses into rabbit holes is reducing the game too much for my liking.

We might have reached a point where they no longer can make packs that can work with all the other packs in the game. At least if they want to make something that follows a very specific theme and they don't want to do any major changes to the game's coding.

I will bet a large pile of simoleons that every single restriction on this pack was put on place by Disney. There is no way they did this collaboration without researching every single aspect of The Sims community including modding and didn’t require that their copyrighted assets be protected from alteration as much as possible especially by less than family friendly mods. They keep extremely tight control over their image and their copyrights. So you can bet your sweet plumb bobs that this GP was going to look the way they wanted it to look and that it was going play the way they wanted it to play period, with as little alteration as possible.

My gut tells me that this was more of a have to than want to pack because of the contracts between EA and Disney/Star Wars, because there has been backlash against packs before and the gurus always defend them quite vigorously describing features on Twitter and saying “wait until the livestream”, or “there’s still a lot you haven’t seen”. But this time, nothing, crickets. No livestream, the pack was announced during Gamescom and that was really it mostly. The gurus vanished from Twitter except a few anemic tweets, one being “Howdy” and one being “ it has a large build and CAS catalog, and then Lyndsay’s attempt to calm the waters. They can’t contractually come out and say it’s a complete turkey so the best they could muster was to say as little as possible. Even if they were maybe excited about the initial concept I bet it turned to ashes in their mouths quickly once Disney got done laying out their tight parameters for the project.

It is a stuff pack, it should only cost $10.00 USD. I know I won’t pay more for it if I buy it at all. Some little part of me was hoping maybe I would see something on YouTube to make it seem worthwhile because I love Star Wars and S4, but no. This isn’t a Sims 4 GP. Not even close. It’s what everyone else has said it is. A Disney product placement advertisement for a theme park.

Thats basically the way I feel as well. SW is a large stuff pack.

In fact..... I would like to see a break-down review of Nifty Knitting SP vs Star Wars GP. What's the difference between these 2 packs when looking at gameplay, CAS, BB, etc... because (IMO) the 2 packs seem very similar in gameplay value.
  • quinhobpquinhobp Posts: 220 Member
    I read somewhere that you can collect things on Batuu. Was there an additional category added to the household collections area?

Yes, I was wondering that too. Someone show me there is 2 new collectibles categories, lightsabers and scans.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Yeah a pack where almost nothing is customizable and you have so many restriction on how you can play your own story... in a SIMS game!

We need a money cheat for galactic credits. I don't want to have to play through the same quests every time I take a sim there, but would be nice to have a way to buy souvenirs, pay for food, etc. And we should be able to take better cameras with us than just the phone.

The UI Cheats mod, which lets you modify your sims' needs with a click, adjust job performance, and add money (among other things) works in Batuu. One of the first things I did was click on my Galactic credits and change it from the starting 50 to 1000.
    kemowery wrote: »
    Yeah a pack where almost nothing is customizable and you have so many restriction on how you can play your own story... in a SIMS game!

We need a money cheat for galactic credits. I don't want to have to play through the same quests every time I take a sim there, but would be nice to have a way to buy souvenirs, pay for food, etc. And we should be able to take better cameras with us than just the phone.

The UI Cheats mod, which lets you modify your sims' needs with a click, adjust job performance, and add money (among other things) works in Batuu. One of the first things I did was click on my Galactic credits and change it from the starting 50 to 1000.

Do you know how the credits work? How they are earned? I for one would like to know more about this part of the pack. (others might as well)
    kemowery wrote: »

Oh, that's good to know, but I was looking more for a cheat than a mod. I'm playing vanilla these days.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Imagine being able to live in Batuu and have a family with an alien from there and have the kids be aliens too. Raising an alien family in the middle of Batuu. And have Batuu residents visit you from the different fractions and bring food from their culture with them etc. etc.

Now that sounds more like a star wars themed sims game to me.
    Technically you could have your sim live there. I think its the only world that is a vacation world where you really don't have to go home.

@pepperjax1230 Oh yeah? First, where can I build my house, do I have to sacrifice the Cantina for that? Will it count as a residentail lot? Also some sims can't be romantically involved from this pack. Also having kids with an alien that are also aliens is not possible since the aliens are just wearing costumes. Will neighbors come visit me?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?