Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Young adults can be a parents for teens. It is weird.

Comments

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't think it's weird at all, because they are Sims, they're not humans. I've always thought of them as their own species. They have their own aging system, just like they have a lot of weird things that they can do that humans can't, like change their clothes by spinning in the air etc.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Now it is unusual where I live to have children while still young but it happens. Have one parent who is younger than me with a kid who is almost 18. The second child is almost 11 years younger than the older sibling.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's weird how they don't allow a pregnancy for a certain life stage due to the game rating but they can allow... the generated NPCs to that aging.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Eh not really. If someone was a teen/young mom they could easily be a parent to a 13 year old whilst still being a young adult themselves.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I think of teens as being ages 13 to 19 and YA as ages 20 to 39 (with adult being age 40 to 59 and elder 60 plus).

If a 20 year old YA woman had a baby then when that kid was a 13 year old teen its mother would be 33 - ie still a YA.

Even when the kid was 19 (so almost at the end of teenagehood), the mother would only be 39 (so still a YA).

So even without teenage pregnancies there can be YAs with teenage kids.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    (who takes an hour-long shower?)

My brother :D

Seriously though, I've never thought it particularly weird because in real life some people do have children young. A girl I was at school with is 25 and has four children. It happens 🤷
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Sociologists use 18-39 for "young adult" so I don't find it at all weird that one might have a teenage child. That would only take having children in your early to mid 20s.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    My mom had me when she was 15.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My sis and brother in law waited til after college to marry, and into their 30s for kids. That said, it's not unheard of for folks to marry out of high school and, if they don't use contraception, have kids right away.

18 + 13 = 31. Put Adult at 40, and there you are.

I need to age up my legacy's last 2nd gen YAs now, because they just became grandparents, though, and that's weird. Aging is off - folks get older when I say they do. ;)
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    @Sindoc I have done that. I have also accidentally aged up the kids before I rotated to the parents. Being older than your dad is what's weird.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I was 20 when I had my first son, and 23 (almost 24) when I had my second son. I'm 36 now. My oldest son will be 16 in a few weeks. Also, I'm a great-aunt to a toddler. I was an aunt at 12 because I was the youngest of 5 kids. My sister who was the closest to my age, is 4 years older than. My oldest brother is almost 11 years older than me. I also have an aunt who was literally an aunt before she was born. She's younger than 2 or 3 of my cousins.

As far as the game is concerned, sims age faster through the earlier stages. On normal lifespan, the child and teen stages are only 14 days. Whereas the young adult and adult stages are around 24 days each, although I'm not 100% sure on the exact amount.

I have never thought anything weird about it. Infact, I mostly play with aging off. I made one household that has Adult Grandparents, YA parents, a child and a teenager. But then, I’m in my early 60’s and I don’t see elders as young as me.... lol. I have a sister 19 years older than me, she had a daughter that is only 6 months younger than me. So, I didn’t have to wait long to become an Aunt. My niece has a daughter the same age as my youngest. So, it doesn’t really seem so strange to me.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    My mom became a grandma at 36 because my brother had his first child at 16. It’s very possible.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    We are missing a whole “middle-aged” group, IMO. When my households have kids that reach the teenage stage, I give the adults makeovers with the styles of hair that aren’t as hip, clothes that seem more practical than before, and all that. I take it upon myself to evolve their styles because the game doesn’t prompt anything like that. I can’t remember in what previous Sims game they could have a mid-life crisis, I miss that.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    We are missing a whole “middle-aged” group, IMO. When my households have kids that reach the teenage stage, I give the adults makeovers with the styles of hair that aren’t as hip, clothes that seem more practical than before, and all that. I take it upon myself to evolve their styles because the game doesn’t prompt anything like that. I can’t remember in what previous Sims game they could have a mid-life crisis, I miss that.

Definitely! I wish there was an "middle age" adulthood stage where you're mature but not extremely old. I hate when I have adult women who aged into a really old woman like couple days after the baby was born.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Most irl break ups of age have young adult classified as 18 to 39. My oldest became a teen when I was only in my young 30's. She is now just 10 months shy of an turning 18. At this rate, I might be a grandma before turning 50. So yes, young adults having a teen is realistic.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I was 20 when I had my first son, and 23 (almost 24) when I had my second son. I'm 36 now. My oldest son will be 16 in a few weeks. Also, I'm a great-aunt to a toddler. I was an aunt at 12 because I was the youngest of 5 kids. My sister who was the closest to my age, is 4 years older than. My oldest brother is almost 11 years older than me. I also have an aunt who was literally an aunt before she was born. She's younger than 2 or 3 of my cousins.

As far as the game is concerned, sims age faster through the earlier stages. On normal lifespan, the child and teen stages are only 14 days. Whereas the young adult and adult stages are around 24 days each, although I'm not 100% sure on the exact amount.

I have never thought anything weird about it. Infact, I mostly play with aging off. I made one household that has Adult Grandparents, YA parents, a child and a teenager. But then, I’m in my early 60’s and I don’t see elders as young as me.... lol. I have a sister 19 years older than me, she had a daughter that is only 6 months younger than me. So, I didn’t have to wait long to become an Aunt. My niece has a daughter the same age as my youngest. So, it doesn’t really seem so strange to me.

That's what I was trying to say, it's not weird or uncommon in real life. I don't find it weird in the game either but I do tend to make my sims wait until they're adults to have children. That way they're more established in their careers. I was just offering a suggestion as to why the game does it. I don't play with aging off for long. I get bored sometimes if it's set Long.

My aunt that I mentioned earlier is 2 months and 4 days older than my brother. But she has a few nieces (my cousins) that are a few years older than she is. My dad's oldest brother is in his 70s and his youngest sister is in her mid-to-latter 40s. So there's well over 20-25 years between them. He had already started his own family and had two toddlers before his youngest sister was born. And that's just one side of my family.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It is weird. Especially when the teens look the same age as their parents. This is why I wish teens appearance was a bit more unique.

Girls tend to look pretty much how they're going to look from about 16 onward and sometimes that's pretty well grown up. (Think about the old adage: Jail Bait. "Officer, I swear she looked 18! She said she was 18." ) It's boys who often change more.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    This is why I always kill off Mortimer Goth when I start a new game. I don‘t support this this in my game, in my life, anywhere.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2020
    Adult life stage split into mid-adult and late-adult could be awesome. I have young mother too. She was bron me when she was 21.

Hmm. I know what is wrong now. Not possibility to have teenagers by young adult but teenager life stage in TS4. They are too high and to similar to adults.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited September 2020
    its not if your sim is vampire or a witch :wink:

im glad they allow that though cause i hardly ever age my sims "realistically"

+ there really isn't big difference between ya and adult in sims 4 anyway so I don't see point in aging my sims to be adults instead of ya
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

I do the same, I make them over to be more 'mature'. I usually allow my teens to keep their clothing style when they enter Uni but then I adapt their appearances as they graduate and get jobs etc.

And it was Sims 3 where they had a midlife crisis. It came with the Generations pack. That'd be a lovely return!
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    I've always interpreted young adult to mean 20-40, so it's possible.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    It's uncommon im real life, but then again, this isn't real life. It works within the context of the game.
  • joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    I don’t think it’s weird at all. I’m 37 with a 16 year old. I know many people that married around 21 and had kids right away, so they were in their 30s with teens. It’s pretty common.
  • LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    I think it's just a game and you can do whatever you like. In real life, it is very common around here. I'm 33 and my mother just turned 51. Soo.....