Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars in the Sims 4, how do YOU want them to work?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Cars have been requested for the sims 4 since the game released. Being officially identified by the simgurus multiple times as known request, they recently raised a good question indirectly - how would they work in a meaningful way?

Personally I think Maxis is too fixated on this question, which would explain their absence. AKA developers are over-thinking how cars would function and not taking a simple solution like the Sims 2 offered. Something I believe a LOT of players would be happy with...I think?

Hence the reason for this topic!

In the "Sims 2" cars would appear when your sim left a lot or was dropped off, aka they'd walk to the curb and a car would eventually appear, either their own or from work, school bus, ect. They'd open the door and get in. Car would drive off. This would eventually include limos for rich/famous sims and even helicopters landing on the street to pick up world leaders.

Definitely more realistic and immersive then our current "sim vanishes into thin air magic trick". Plus this idea would work within the games confines since it wouldn't require re-working roads as its more of an animation feature but expanded on with interact spots for Sims 4.

My idea how this would be expanded on in the Sims 4, is they could add bus stops in each neighborhood where you could catch the local bus or/and school children would walk to each morning/get dropped off and walk home from. Call taxi's from clubs or some version of uber to get around from your cellphone. A basic, interactive transport system that would still feel more interactive than nothing but wouldn't require re-coding roads or massive changes to them.

I don't believe cars could ever work in the Sims 4 like they did in the Sims 3, fundamentally the game "worlds" are just too different. The Sims 3 is a fully functional open world and lets face it there isn't a lot of places TO drive around as the streets are all very short in the Sims 4. Plus everything is locked behind a loading screen for resource management.

Hence why more of a "taxi" service like the Sims 2 makes sense to me, just simply animations and interactions to see our sims taxi around the world in a more believable way.

What do other simmers want from cars (if you want them) if they were to appear in the Sims 4?

EDIT: Option 3 could also mean/include owning, repairing, changing styles and generally interacting with a car on your lot too much like in the Sims 3 but using animations off lot like the Sims 2.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Cars in the Sims 4, how do YOU want them to work? 127 votes

Sims 2 style. Acting as simple, pick up/drop off and drive away service but with bus stops, taxis, ect.
37% 47 votes
Sims 3 style. Own them, click a point on any road in any area and visually drive there.
6% 8 votes
Something in-between, more than a pickup/drop off service but drivable between loading screens.
23% 30 votes
Something totally original, like a new gamemode such as a driving simulator in-game.
6% 8 votes
Cars? Who cares! What I want is...
26% 34 votes

Comments

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    Idk which one I should vote but cars can work on lots right next to the roads.

If the lot isn't next to the road, perhaps a helicopter?

Edited:
    A transport preference could be good! Like a sim could have a choice on walking to school/work, get a taxi, their own personal vehicle and a carpool
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Idk which one I should vote but cars can work on lots right next to the roads.

If the lot isn't next to the road, perhaps a helicopter?

I think in that case it would be more likely you don't own a car and would probably walk to the nearest bus stop or curb to catch a taxi.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    Sims 2 style or no cars at all. Sincerely, I don't think I need vehicles, I wouldn't even use bikes if they didn't fill sims' funmeter atblightning speed. It already takes sims too much time to take bike from inventory, get on bike, cycle there, get off the bike and store bike in inventory making bikes usefull (as a means for transportation) only in very specific lots.

If it'd take my sims an awefull lot of time to use cars I'd rather hey don't get implemented at all. But, if it takes them more or less the same time I'm cool with cabs, schoolbuses and carpools.
    Happy simming!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    They probably can't work on the Sims 4 without reworking all of the roads.
    Even if they seem drivable they are still not programmed to deal with traffic and cars and in general player interference. They would need to redo every world and I'm sure EA won't do that.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Even if they seem drivable they are still not programmed to deal with traffic and cars and in general player interference. They would need to redo every world and I'm sure EA won't do that.

But that why I think a simple solution like Sims 2 offered would work, its just playing a simple car animation rather than a functioning working object once the car arrives. Whatever interactive elements would occur before than like calling a taxi, walking to a bus stop ect.

I agree there is no way they could work like we saw in the Sims 3.

Yeah they really messed up the world's. Some sub neighbourhood areas don't even have a single road. Wish they have thought about this before developing these worlds.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited September 2020
    ts2 style

but also we could have more on building cars and different car styles
    ( i mostly really want old cool looking cars)

and maybe like on lot racing object(big and like small one) that you could put 2 cars on and your sims could compete

and maybe in world there could be racing neighborhood where you could have like longer track for some grand racing competition thing and lot you could put something fun on next to it so sims would basically visit that lot and then race off lot

and there could also be leisure drive area and some houses to live in...

and we could also have on lot obstacle course so you could teach your teen sims to drive on that, and do tricks and such (have that worst driver show basically)

and like you could have fixer upper car like in ts2

aaaand also car wash and gas stations would be like nice addition aaand car shows... selling cars...

there is just so much you don't need "open world" for

oh and also yes woohoo in car and such wherever the car is

and plenty garage objects (oh ye and that car elevator thing)

also motorcycles and their own racing building things similar to cars
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sims 2 style is the only way I can imagine them since TS4 also has loading screens.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've never played anything other than TS4, so I have no idea what earlier versions were like. A full-on driving simulator would be too much, but I do want to have some level of control over the cars.

EA is also limited to what they can do graphically, without requiring users to upgrade to a gaming rig.

Oh, and I voted for the 4th option, not sure why it isn't showing up here
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think the best fit for cars in this iteration would be as part of a race track themed pack.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    At this point, I don’t really care how they add them but I want them.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'd rather they work on something that actually adds to my gameplay, cars do not. They'd take a ridiculous amount of effort to put in, would serve no purpose other than visuals and would bring an endless list of new bugs.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

But that why I think a simple solution like Sims 2 offered would work, its just playing a simple car animation rather than a functioning working object once the car arrives. Whatever interactive elements would occur before than like calling a taxi, walking to a bus stop ect.

I agree there is no way they could work like we saw in the Sims 3.

They would still need to rework tons of stuff cause even in the Sims 2, though it was less, the was "traffic".
    If you had a carpool arrive it was at the side of the road that your house was at. If another one arrived at the same time it would stop behind the previous one and wait for it to get out of the way.
    If you also had delivery or a service arrive then it was at the other side of the road in the opposite direction so it doesn't conflict with the carpools.
    All this needs programming and since we have bigger districts now than we had in the base game it's even harder.
    I'm not saying EA can't do this because they have both the budget and the staff to work on it. I'm just saying they won't do it. At least not for free. It's sad honestly.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I want cars to be optional so we don't have to see them driving past our houses if we don't want to.

If we are going to have cars, I would like to be able to own and repair cars. But I'm fine not having them at all. And to fill in my choice, "What I want is..." bands! :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    edited September 2020
    also as for bus/cab/carpool things yeah something like bus stop would make sense cause as if bus would bother driving all the way to your house

and in worlds where there is nowhere to drive there simply wouldn't be option to drive unless you add some driving object on lot you could still use cars on lot obviously

also i think sims would have to "sign up for school bus " or "sign up for carpool" so you would have those even appear cause then if you havent signed up sims could use bike or walk like usual
    edited September 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I think the best fit for cars in this iteration would be as part of a race track themed pack.

Race track is a good idea but we will still get people upset that their sims don't have a personal vehicle if that happened
    edited September 2020

Race track is a good idea but we will still get people upset that their sims don't have a personal vehicle if that happened

I actually thought of suggesting a racetrack GP, but like you I think this would possible annoy more simmers with giving us cars in the most indirect way possible since nobody is asking for a racing GP - they are asking for cars?

Or is a racing GP something we want?

I just think it would be weird to have to leave to a "vacation" neighborhood to have cars and not see or interact with them outside of that area. Not unless they added expanded transport functionality outside of that area such a bus stops, ect but only allowed you to drive them only in the race track neighborhood.
    edited September 2020
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

I actually thought of suggesting a racetrack GP, but like you I think this would possible annoy more simmers with giving us cars in the most indirect way possible since nobody is asking for a racing GP - they are asking for cars?

Or is a racing GP something we want?

it wouldn't need to be racing limited the point is adding a track or area in which any car can be slotted on to drive it on lot (to eliminate biggest routing problems) and not all cars have to look like racing cars

but it could obviously add racing because why not?
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    My choice is not represented here. I am not interested in having cars. However, "who cares" is needlessly dismissive. If they are implemented, and in a way that makes people happy, then that's fine despite my disinterest.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Not too bothered about cars, but would love to be able to interact more with our babies.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I wasn’t sure how to answer so I choose other. But my idea might fit in the in-between choice.

I want to own them, have color choices, and functional garage doors, but When a sim leaves there’s a getting in animation, the car pulls away and disappears. When a sim arrives, the car fades in and pulls into the driveway, then there’s an exiting animation.

I don’t need to see the entire drive.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I don't want cars unless they are completely optional. I don't want to see my sims automatically getting in car to go to work, or a school bus picking up my sim kids. It should be an option like maybe sims have to call on their phone to enable the bus to come or something like that.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I don't miss cars - they take up precious in-game space and normalize pernicious fossil-fuel dependence.

Werewolves first. Failing that, body hair please.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    I liked how the Sims 2 cars functioned the best and the alarms and the woohoo and how they pulled out of the driveway. There are some aspects of the Sims 3 ones I wouldn't mind to return like teaching teenagers to drive which I think would work like dogs and bicycles staying in the same hood. I would love to see a lot of transportation and NPC vehicles return too. It would be nice to have school buses and police cars and firetrucks and NPC cars return again. I also wouldn't mind a pack to improve upon them like a travel pack with RVs and cars pulling them along. I think main cars should be patched in and funded with the RV pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    To be an absolutely broken record, what I want is an amusement park pack with a whole vacation resort world. Much more fun than cars, in my opinion.