Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why aren’t elders / children used on the pack covers?

It seems we only ever see YA sims on the pack covers and there’s a there’s a total lack of representation for elders/ children shown on the packs?

It’s not as if the content / gameplay for the pack is only exclusive to the YA age group so why couldn’t we have had an elder son or child on more of the pack covers? Seems like they’re somehow scared of showing more diversity in the age range of players

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It seems we only ever see YA sims on the pack covers and there’s a there’s a total lack of representation for elders/ children shown on the packs?

It’s not as if the content / gameplay for the pack is only exclusive to the YA age group so why couldn’t we have had an elder son or child on more of the pack covers? Seems like they’re somehow scared of showing more diversity in the age range of players

There is a child on the Nifty Knitting cover.
  • AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
    I meant in general there’s mostly only YA
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 431 Member
    Young and sexy sells, I guess. :(
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    The game very much revolves around the young adult stage and is not as family play oriented. I think that is why.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'd have to say because they are not the focus. Obviously there are some sprinkled through, like with Kids Room, Parenthood, and Toddler stuff. However, there is not a lot of unique things for them to do to show off, which is also a request so it could be misleading if the the pack cover had a bunch of elders on it and no new elder gameplay.

It has been a while, but I remember back when the call for a Generations style pack became extremely strong and people kept asking why the gurus did not improve and add to the other age groups. I have forgotten whether it was a poll or their collected data (though I suspect the latter), but they said most people play YAs so it made more sense to focus on them. I imagine that is still the case.

That being said, if the other ages had more to do then they would be played more, wouldn't they?
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    If we look back on the Sims 2 & Sims 3 packs - there isn't many children on covers either. I don't really see it as a big issue with covers as it is mostly gameplay I am focused on.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    They seem to only put the younger lifestates on the covers of packs that are heavily about them. For example Parenthood is the only one with a teen sim as far as I can tell.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's a vicious cycle. In CAS, the default is YA, so of course people will play YA more, because creating a different age takes another step. Then EA will see that more people are creating YAs, so more things default to YAs, so people play more YAs...

Sometimes I forget to change the age when I create a character in CAS, so I end up with more YAs without wanting them.

I mean, there are other issues like the shallowness of society, overrepresentation of YAs in media, etc., but the CAS default really isn't helping.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • chaccechacce Posts: 49 Member
    Because TS4 is marketed as a young adult simulator from the very beginning. It's the sad truth.
  • wilsonstonewilsonstone Posts: 18 Member
    Maybe they'll make an "Elder's Pack". I don't know what would be in it though.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I liked the old base game cover a lot better than new. The new cover has only YAs, when this is a game about life simulation, some occults and weirdness. All of the packs have YAs on them, except kid centered packs.

If I ever get motorcycles, I'm going to make bike elder club. B)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I still say they could’ve squeezed in a grandma on the cover of Nifty Knitting. That was the perfect opportunity.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    It's Marketing 101, youth sells. And I will admit that I never have toddlers or elders in my households, only young adult, adult and the ocassional teen where it fits the story
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Probably like others have said: 3 and 4's gameplay is skewed towards YA and A gameplay. Other life stages haven't had much focus since 2, and even in that game elders were a bit neglected
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member

What about the parenthood pack
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king