Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Flickering screen issue?

I’m having a issue where the screen flickers/glitches a little bit when I move the camera around. How can I resolve this?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed mode, and does the flickering resolve when you switch? What kind of graphics card do you have? Enabling vertical sync may help, although only in fullscreen mode, and the way to do that will depend on your card. If you need help finding the settings, let me know.

Please also check the in-game framerates while you play. Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen, and while it'll fluctuate to some extent, let me know more or less the max fps, and whether you're using a framerate limiter.
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2020
    Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed mode, and does the flickering resolve when you switch? What kind of graphics card do you have? Enabling vertical sync may help, although only in fullscreen mode, and the way to do that will depend on your card. If you need help finding the settings, let me know.

Please also check the in-game framerates while you play. Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen, and while it'll fluctuate to some extent, let me know more or less the max fps, and whether you're using a framerate limiter.

Sorry for the late response; yes I do play in full screen. I have a intel(R) HD Graphics Family, and I’m not sure but I think V-Sync is activated? It’s set to Application settings. The max fps I get is around 20. I’m not sure if these count as frame rate limiters, but I am currently using Razer Cortex and TS3 GPU Addon.

I also want to add that it hasn’t done this in a while since I first installed TS3 on this laptop, but for some reason my settings randomly reset out of nowhere and now it’s returned.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Graphics settings can get reset when the graphics driver gets updated, or for a couple other reasons. Try switching to windowed mode to see if it helps. You don't need an fps limiter if the game is hovering around 20; that was more about making sure framrates weren't wildly high.

Are there any graphics settings that you didn't switch back after they were reset? It's possible a higher setting in one category might cause some flickering, although less likely. If windowed mode doesn't help though, try turning everything to low and see whether the flickering disappears. If it does, you can raise a couple settings at a time, that is if you play on more than just low, and see how high they can go before the flickering returns. Be sure to test in both fullscreen and windowed modes each time. Unlike many of the other settings, you can switch this one without quitting the game and reloading.

If windowed mode helps but the window is too small for you to play the way you want, you can try Windowed Borderless Gaming, which is a free tool that works well with Sims 3. The download is here:

https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    Graphics settings can get reset when the graphics driver gets updated, or for a couple other reasons. Try switching to windowed mode to see if it helps. You don't need an fps limiter if the game is hovering around 20; that was more about making sure framrates weren't wildly high.

Are there any graphics settings that you didn't switch back after they were reset? It's possible a higher setting in one category might cause some flickering, although less likely. If windowed mode doesn't help though, try turning everything to low and see whether the flickering disappears. If it does, you can raise a couple settings at a time, that is if you play on more than just low, and see how high they can go before the flickering returns. Be sure to test in both fullscreen and windowed modes each time. Unlike many of the other settings, you can switch this one without quitting the game and reloading.

If windowed mode helps but the window is too small for you to play the way you want, you can try Windowed Borderless Gaming, which is a free tool that works well with Sims 3. The download is here:

https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

Thank you for your help, I believe I’ve found out the solution by playing around in the graphics control panel and setting V-Sync to Drivers settings :)