Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas to make money harder to get please!

2...Next

Comments

• PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    @Rouensims funny you should say that, I’ve been debating a religious rags to riches. That would fit in quite well with my ideas for later on in the challenge, with how dating, marriage and kids will work.

I’m a modder too so my wee brain has been ticking, wouldn’t be hard to make a sabbath holiday on a Sunday with a tradition for tithe and attending holiday ceremony. It would also work with the extreme challenge not allowing for kleptomania and having the good trait to unlock donating. There is actually a mod already made for religion recently on mod the sims. Plus I am a Christian myself and my faith means everything to me so that alone would probably keep me interested!
    That said, the religion mod that’s been made is a bit cheaty. It fills all your sims needs when you pray. I could probably edit that however.
  • HappyssummerHappyssummer Posts: 37 Member
    You can defaintly sell on the home lot with the selling table also instead of selling harvetables from the inventory sell them on the table it takes ages to get the money i also use plobsy anything big my sim will have to raise the money for a shop to open also with eco living when my sim goes dumpster diving anything my sim dont need if even if its new or not i recycle it instead of selling it
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Silentkitty, that’s a brilliant idea! I really like that, will definitely use it.

I had a trial run this evening, started on the residential lot on the spice market in san Myshuno. Posters can’t be sold via the sales table or the street art gallery. Snow globes are fine. My sim got a crafted violin out of a junk box and once she reached level 4 I had her busk but she didn’t once get any tips! So then I had her play concerto just on the street and sims didn’t go near her either. I think there is so much going on in the centre, the other sims are usually on their way to do something.

I then tried again with the biggest lot in Newcrest. I had her fish and sold any fish from her inventory as I couldn’t see any other way of selling them. Once she reached $300 I bought her the selvadore craft sales table and she is slowly making a bit of money with that and holding street sales. I don’t mind her selling her collectibles that way as each sale is about 2 hours long and she has to stand there tending the table so can’t be doing other things. No mark up on what she is selling either.

When she bought the biggest lot, I checked bill information and it was only $130 so I spent her remaining starter funds on sculptures and put them into household inventory. That increased them to $300.

I think I like the Newcrest trial better and there are plenty of empty lots to do silent kitty’s idea!

Thanks all for the help!

036bee2e0bdf1aa5aa9020524995f59200344238.png

Pic just for fun.

When I place a somewhere to eat I usually build a little tiny diner for it. Just because it looks nice, also if you have seasons it is nice being indoor to eat sometimes. I do the same thing for coffe or tea, make a tiny little cute cafe that is only for 3-4 sims in size. It makes using the big lots easier for me because I am not a great builder. I get a really nice public library or gym from a talented builder. Plonk it down on a huge lot and put my own little mini-dinner or -cafe outside. Taadaaa!

The Gallery and Sims 4 builders are awesome <3
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Using Carl's Guide, I identified which levels unlock different things. So, when a sim reaches these levels in handiness, they should be able to perform upgrades on the objects used in the room. The Logic skill can take a long time to build up. If more than one sim is in the household, I would delay things more by requiring all of them to reach these levels. Also, I calculated how many simoleans are required to build a decent room.

Mandatory Steps for Building a Bathroom.
    Level 2 Handiness
    Level 3 Logic
    10,000 Simoleans

Mandatory Steps for Building a Bedroom
    Level 4 Handiness
    Level 4 Logic
    10,000 Simoleans

Mandatory Steps for Building a Kitchen/ Dining Room
    Level 5 Handiness
    Level 5 Cooking (Unlocks Gourmet Cooking and allows your sim to cook food the eat in a restaurant or from a food stall)
    Level 6 Logic
    50,000 Simoleans

Mandatory Steps for Building a Family Living Room
    Level 7 Handiness
    Level 7 Logic
    30,000 Simoleans

Mandatory Steps for Building a Study with a Computer
    Level 8 Handiness
    Level 9 Logic
    40,000 Simoleans

For waterfront lots and building pools:
    Mandatory Steps for Building a Hot Tub and Bar
    Level 10 Handiness
    Level 4 Mixology
    Level 10 Logic
    20,000 Simoleans

Money Goal:
    200,000 (The required amount to complete the Fabulously Wealthy Aspiration)

If you challenge yourself by requiring a sim to have a woodworking table before building a house, limit yourself to only selling a certain harvestable to buy the table, and then create most of what you use in your house, you might encounter a situation where certain collectibles are sellable because they are the raw materials needed to make something. With Eco Living, Bits and Pieces used with a fabricator or candle maker could play a role.

The biggest challenge would be deciding on what is required to do something to make money. For instruments, I would prohibit writing songs and lyrics because that would be too easy. Instead, a sim would have to busk. For painting, you could limit yourself to first needing to build an Art Studio. Crafted items would have to be sold without a mark up and at the lowest value.
    edited September 2020
    Trees were my first thought, but there aren’t many harvestable trees that grow on the Crumbling Isle and it looks like none of them grow in Spring. I mean it adds another challenge, but it’s gonna be a long spring if I decide to go that route. I play 28 days and Windenburg has a cooler climate so each day is cool or cold or snowy. I mean it’s definitely a fun challenge tho.

Also yes you get the idea of how I’m going with this. Essentially because you can’t get rid of the money system in the game, I’m trying to work it out so selling harvestables/collectibles break even with the purchase of the item I pretended was made from those materials. For example, I decided that treasure maps supply the material for a tent. Treasure maps cost 80 simoleons each. A tent is 460 simoleons or thereabout. So I need at least 6 treasure maps which would exceed the cost of the tent, or I could do like 5 treasure maps plus some flowers (pretend they offer some support for the tent or something).

I also decided that certain activities can’t be done unless there are a minimum amount of Sims. For example one Sim can’t sustain an entire farm so until I have maybe 3 sims, they will have to forage and harvest the world. And to travel to other worlds there needs to be a certain amount of Sims to make the journey. But in order to add new Sims, I need to either have a surplus of food or an additional tent for them to be housed (or maybe both). I’m kind of playing like a civilization building adventure survivalist kind of Game.

Yeah, the bigger the garden gets the harder it is to maintain. If my memory is correct, one large planter can support 4 small plants or 1 tree. The planters are ideal for managing a garden because one sim can water and weed them easier. It might theoretically be possible for a single sim to maintain a small garden. A small garden isn't the same as a farm. So, you could have the sim plant in the ground a maximum of 4 small plants and 1 tree. Of course, you can't just sell what you grow, but it would be a start to gathering raw materials.
    That’s brilliant @Metior_Ice, thank you! The only thing that bothers me is for some sort of realism, I had in mind that my sim should need to have saved up enough simoleons to buy a house in one go. In RL we don’t buy a kitchen room, we buy a whole house! Plus I thought it would make it harder to make money because so many rags to riches, they buy camping stuff etc or make a little 5x5 shack with everything they need and the challenge then gets super easy.

I do love your skilling goals, so I was thinking I might mix it with my idea of buying the basic room blueprints for a house, that would be a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room and dining room. The most basic room blueprints in game come to around $9000 but they don’t come with windows and outer wall decor so another $1000 for that. Perhaps they should just have to max logic and handiness as well as a $10000 goal to build it.

So many ideas! I think there could actually be a really extreme rags to riches challenge in the making here!
    Oh and to offset the fact that the house itself is so quick, to make it harder still, sims could have to use the skill classes by cellphone to skill up, which costs $250 at a time!
    edited September 2020
    That’s brilliant @Metior_Ice, thank you! The only thing that bothers me is for some sort of realism, I had in mind that my sim should need to have saved up enough simoleons to buy a house in one go. In RL we don’t buy a kitchen room, we buy a whole house! Plus I thought it would make it harder to make money because so many rags to riches, they buy camping stuff etc or make a little 5x5 shack with everything they need and the challenge then gets super easy.

I do love your skilling goals, so I was thinking I might mix it with my idea of buying the basic room blueprints for a house, that would be a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room and dining room. The most basic room blueprints in game come to around $9000 but they don’t come with windows and outer wall decor so another $1000 for that. Perhaps they should just have to max logic and handiness as well as a $10000 goal to build it.

So many ideas! I think there could actually be a really extreme rags to riches challenge in the making here!

I think the values for each room come from using the lowest quality items in build mode plus the cost of floor space.

The full cost is 180,000 for the entire house. However, it is possible to change the size of the rooms and use fewer items.

Something to think about would be how different items have different levels of reliability and produce higher quality products. You could break things up based on the quality.

I worked out these stats a long time ago.

Edit: this involves ideas inspired by eco-living, but a lot of things can easily be changed.
    Another edit: City Living is highly recommended because of used items.

Max Appliance Quality:
    Stoves: Food Quality 3
    Refrigerator: Food Quality 3
    Microwave: Food Quality 3
    Coffee Maker: Drink Quality 3
    Grill: Food Quality 4
    No Dishwasher
    Sink: Reliability 3
    Shower: Hygiene 3
    Tubs: Hygiene 3
    Toilets: Reliability 3
    Beds: Energy 4 uncomfortable
    Sofas and Loveseats: No Comfort Rating
    Living Chairs: No Comfort Rating
    Audio: Reliability 3
    Dining Chair: No Comfort Rating
    Bar Stool: No Comfort Rating
    Computers Reliability 3
    Wallpaper, roofs, and floors must add to the industrial eco footprint.

Aspiration Goals:
    Master Maker: Jerry Rigger
    Fabulously Wealthy: Going for not broke
    Mansion Baron: Estate of the Art
    Nerd Brain: Prudent Student
    Freelance Botanist: Naturewalker
    Eco-Innovator: Eco-Economist
    Friend of the World: New in Town
    Level 2 Handiness
    Level 5 Cooking

After completing all of these aspiration goals and achieving the required levels, you unlock Stage 2.

Background Information (For those who want it)

You've come a long way. You're a better cook, have some money, live in a slightly better home, developed a few important skills, and you have a better understanding of nature. However, your home is still a dump. When it comes to creating real changes, you aren't quite there, but you've made a good first step. And, hey, those places that used to get dirty more often are staying clean.

Stage 2 Lot Requirements:

Landfill Lot
    (Trash gets dumped on the lot and shifts faster toward industrial)
    Reduce and Recycle
    (Outdoor Trash Cans are no longer bottomless!)
    A free lot Trait for whatever you want

Max Appliance Quality:
    Stoves: Food Quality 5
    Refrigerator: Food Quality 5
    Microwave: Food Quality 4
    Coffee Maker: Drink Quality 4
    Grill: Food Quality 5
    No Dishwasher
    Sink: Reliability 5
    Shower: Hygiene 5
    Tubs: Hygiene 5
    Toilets: Reliability 5
    Beds: Energy 5
    Sofas and Loveseats: Comfort 3
    Living Chairs: Comfort 3
    Audio: Reliability 5
    Dining Chairs: Comfort 3
    Bar Stool: Comfort 3
    Computers: Reliability 8
    Wallpaper, roofs, and floors must add to the industrial eco footprint.

Aspiration Goals:
    Master Maker: The Better Builder
    Fabulously Wealthy: Learning Earning
    Mansion Baron: The Great Landscaper
    Nerd Brain: Erudite
    Freelance Botanist: Garden Variety
    Eco-Innovator: Clean City Civilian
    Friend of the World: Well Liked
    Level 5 Handiness
    Level 10 Cooking

After completing all of these aspiration goals and achieving the required levels, you unlock Stage 3.

Things are starting to look up, and you've even made a few new friends. The trash is still building up on your lot, but things aren't getting filthy as quickly. You've also noticed that your home isn't being used as a landfill anymore. Could this be a sign for the better? You've got a better grasp on the skills you need to make your home, and the world around you even better. Keep going!

Stage 3 Lot Requirements:

Reduce and Recycle
    (Outdoor Trash Cans are no longer bottomless!)
    Two free lot traits for whatever you want.

Max Appliance Quality:
    Stoves: Food Quality 6
    Refrigerator: Food Quality 7
    Microwave: Food Quality 5
    Coffee Maker: Drink Quality 5
    Grill: Food Quality 8
    No Dishwasher
    Sink: Reliability 6
    Shower: Hygiene 7
    Tubs: Hygiene 7
    Toilets: Reliability 5
    Beds: Energy 8
    Sofas and Loveseats: Comfort 8
    Living Chairs: Comfort 7
    Audio: Reliability 5
    Dining Chairs: Comfort 7
    Bar Stool: Comfort 7
    Computers: Reliability 10
    Wallpaper, roofs, and floors can have a neutral eco footprint but not a green eco footprint

Aspiration Goals:
    Master Maker: Competent Crafter
    Fabulously Wealthy: Well-off
    Mansion Baron: Home Renovator
    Nerd Brain: Rocket Scientist
    Freelance Botanist: Nature Nurturer
    Eco-Innovator: Clean City Civilian
    Friend of the World: Super Friend
    Level 7 Handiness
    Level 5 Gourmet Cooking

After completing all of these aspiration goals and achieving the required levels, you unlock Stage 4.

It seems making friends building a bigger and better home has detoured others from using your lot as a dump, and it seems a trash service is finally making the trash build up go away. Your fabrication skills are improving so much, and now, you can make most of your furniture from the bits and pieces you find instead of buying it new. There are no more limitations on how you build your home. Things have really come a long way!

Stage 4 Lot Requirements:

All lot trait slots are free for whatever you want.

Max Appliance Quality:
    No Limitations

Aspiration Goals:
    Master Maker: Master Maker
    Fabulously Wealthy: Fabulously Wealthy
    Mansion Baron: Mansion Baron
    Nerd Brain: Nerd Brain
    Freelance Botanist: Freelance Botanist
    Eco-Innovator: Civil Civilian
    Friend of the World: Friend of the World
    Level 10 Handiness
    Level 10 Gourmet Cooking

The idea here is to use different aspirations as the goals to unlock a better standard of living.
    I literally went into build mode and transcribed everything that I felt affected gameplay. It may not be perfect, but for building a house instead of individual rooms, this might be something to think about. Also, I learned about some interesting moodlets that come from using lower quality items for too long.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    You could rent an apartment first, and rent is more expensive than the basic tax on a regular lot.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    You could rent an apartment first, and rent is more expensive than the basic tax on a regular lot.

Which feels so strange to me.
    Again I really like your ideas @Metior_Ice that was my thought process on a more realistic rags to riches, you shouldn’t be able to progress straight from homeless and jobless to having a fancy house with top quality furniture. I think a lot of rags to riches fail because once it gets easier to make money, the challenge feels over. Having progression on the house itself with your skills and aspirations idea is a good next step to no longer being homeless and penniless!

Me being me and ever the sadist for my poor sims, I would probably start the basic house with three negative lot traits, such as grody, filthy etc and at each new stage of progression, replace a negative trait with a positive.

I will have to have a proper read of all the posts on this thread and see if I can collaborate them into one heck of an extreme rags to riches challenge!
    Again I really like your ideas @Metior_Ice that was my thought process on a more realistic rags to riches, you shouldn’t be able to progress straight from homeless and jobless to having a fancy house with top quality furniture. I think a lot of rags to riches fail because once it gets easier to make money, the challenge feels over. Having progression on the house itself with your skills and aspirations idea is a good next step to no longer being homeless and penniless!

Me being me and ever the sadist for my poor sims, I would probably start the basic house with three negative lot traits, such as grody, filthy etc and at each new stage of progression, replace a negative trait with a positive.

I will have to have a proper read of all the posts on this thread and see if I can collaborate them into one heck of an extreme rags to riches challenge!

Sounds awesome! :)
    In terms of making money right at the very beginning, it depends on the style of play. I like the idea of not being able to use the travel screen (though if using the house stages idea you could use it to complete any goals you can’t do in your home area). I dislike fishing up a fully working violin as that doesn’t seem very realistic! Finding one in the junk boxes in san Myshuno does seem realistic however and it’s a crafted one so doesn’t look shiny and new.

If you can’t travel out of your home lot area and are not in San Myshuno, the only legitimate way to earn money in game without using the inventory would be from skilling up charisma and asking for loans. However the loan amounts are $500 or $1000 which is a lot. The sims 3 mooching was better where you would be given a random amount. I could probably mod that in the sims 4. Or it can be treated as actual loans and once you have a way to make money other than loans, the loans are to be paid off by donating the amounts to charity or such like.

In san Myshuno, at the very beginning the only legit way to make money I have found is to collect snow globes and wait for the flea market on the Sunday. If you can make just $5 you can get the living statue costume and make money from tips, the only tipping that works when living on the only residential lot in the city.

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Rouensims funny you should say that, I’ve been debating a religious rags to riches. That would fit in quite well with my ideas for later on in the challenge, with how dating, marriage and kids will work.

I’m a modder too so my wee brain has been ticking, wouldn’t be hard to make a sabbath holiday on a Sunday with a tradition for tithe and attending holiday ceremony. It would also work with the extreme challenge not allowing for kleptomania and having the good trait to unlock donating. There is actually a mod already made for religion recently on mod the sims. Plus I am a Christian myself and my faith means everything to me so that alone would probably keep me interested!

I'm glad that what I said might be helpful to you. If you do create a sabbath holiday mod, I hope you'll post it for download! :smiley:

The TLC apartment is pretty fun for a challenge. Everything constantly breaks, and bugs come swarming out from time to time.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Depending on a sim's traits (which are random) they are more than likely in my game to qualify for only a part-time job. But I also don't want my sims to have to earn a fortune before they have a family, so I replaced several expensive lots with cheap basegame lots but with at least three bedrooms.