Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Annoying! floating stars and light bulbs? Can you turn it off?

Hi, Granted I had not played in a while but did get the new stuff when I did start playing again. So, I have no idea when or where the floating stars and light bulbs came from, it is annoying but mostly distracting my imagination. I have played since The Sims 1, I must say I really don't like this at all!
Is there an option to turn it off before I get so annoyed that I turn the whole game off? I will try to be nice to the person who came up with this idea, but seriously? you take a game that already has a tendency to lag and add senseless motion while toddlers are starving for lack of food because they have few options for getting food themselves and their care givers have to stay stuck until all the graphics catch up and queues take their turns? And then someone higher up approves that suggestion, sorry but may I ask what is the point of it other than what we already know which is they are for example watching tv to improve their cooking?

Thanks and please is there a setting to ditch this graphic?

Comments

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Floating stars and lightbulbs? I haven't played toddlers/kids in a while but I think I would see those when a toddler was playing/learning from a toy? It skills up their imagination skill.

I would make sure there was leftovers in the fridge for toddlers. That way if my toddler was hungry I would open fridge, set the plate on the counter (or by the toddler) and let the toddler grab a serving if they were starving. I never used highchairs because of parents wanting to take them in and out constantly....then the toddler would be starving! I place a stool sideways next to the table, or put a toddler chair in the kitchen so they all can sit together in the room.

If this doesn't help, then I bumped your thread for you :D
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Floating stars and lightbulbs? I haven't played toddlers/kids in a while but I think I would see those when a toddler was playing/learning from a toy? It skills up their imagination skill.

I would make sure there was leftovers in the fridge for toddlers. That way if my toddler was hungry I would open fridge, set the plate on the counter (or by the toddler) and let the toddler grab a serving if they were starving. I never used highchairs because of parents wanting to take them in and out constantly....then the toddler would be starving! I place a stool sideways next to the table, or put a toddler chair in the kitchen so they all can sit together in the room.

If this doesn't help, then I bumped your thread for you :D

Thanks Fairy God Mother! It is the adult and teen and child sims that have the floating stuff in the air floating off their heads when they are gaining a skill or in a conversation. In all my years of simming I have never encountered anything so distracting to playing.
    And thanks for the tips with food for toddlers.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Your welcome, glad I could help! You might want to check and see if your house has "Convivial lot trait" attached to it. That makes the lightbulbs appear every time they talk!
    Your welcome, glad I could help! You might want to check and see if your house has "Convivial lot trait" attached to it. That makes the lightbulbs appear every time they talk!

Thank you so much! I stopped playing to check here because I got frustrated again, if I only played one sim at a time I'm sure my game would rock but every time the game is going to pop up with a message it stops everyone from finishing their queue and they lose so much of the day with this, I so wish I could turn that off.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    The floating light bulbs and stars stem from the Sims doing something related to a lot trait. If it does it when your Sims are speaking then it's most likely the convivial lot trait.

Look at your lot traits in build mode. Remove them if you don't like them.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Yeah, I can't stand the floating light bulbs because they can't be hidden so I don't even use the skill related lot traits. It's too bad because I would use them otherwise, but the visual effects are so distracting, they clutter screen shots and drive me nuts, lol.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't stand the floating light bulbs because they can't be hidden so I don't even use the skill related lot traits. It's too bad because I would use them otherwise, but the visual effects are so distracting, they clutter screen shots and drive me nuts, lol.

Thank you! How do I find out which lot traits are skill related? Wait a minute, OK so if I read each one and it mentions a skill just pick another one so I don't have to deal with the graphic?

Then let me hope the gurus are reading these messages so I can say "This Sucks" but yes I will not use them if it takes away the annoyance and now I will need to go to every house and every neighborhood and pick new lot traits because EA fixed something that wasn't broke!

I really don't mean to be negative, I just want to enjoy my sims and not have the glitches that we know about which make the game harder to play and adding stuff that is "unneeded" and annoying to boot, (plus I'm concerned about people who have seizures because of the flashing) is like in my face telling me you don't really care, you are just looking for more wow factors.

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    It is very annoying as it ruins screenshots, and who wants to have those things floating around anyway?

I remember complaints about it at the time the lot traits came out (way back) but EA took no notice and it was left up to modders to do something about it.
    It is very annoying as it ruins screenshots, and who wants to have those things floating around anyway?

I remember complaints about it at the time the lot traits came out (way back) but EA took no notice and it was left up to modders to do something about it.

Thanks for your comments! The only problem is I don't use mods and I have a tendency to not get on here unless I'm so frustrated I stop playing to look something up. Sometimes I just do the forum to see what is new but this post has really helped me solve a problem although I will miss the lot traits, but not the graphic.