Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling salty about Journey To Batuu?

Comments

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

I know you already told me, the point is I'm pretty sure EA saw the poll and saw that Star wars was dead last and still went with it anyway.

Has EA/Maxis ever included a Star Wars theme in any of there their surveys? Admittedly, I've taken a few of them, but not all. Has anything even close to a Star Wars theme been put up for consideration in the past?

I think the closest was them asking what brands would you want to see them collaborate with. Some people say they wrote down star wars and/or disney. I have no idea how long ago did that survey get puplished tho. Maybe they were working on this pack way before that.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

I know you already told me, the point is I'm pretty sure EA saw the poll and saw that Star wars was dead last and still went with it anyway.

Has EA/Maxis ever included a Star Wars theme in any of there their surveys? Admittedly, I've taken a few of them, but not all. Has anything even close to a Star Wars theme been put up in a survey?

There was an open question in one of the surveys regarding which brand folks would like to see in the sims. Apparently that's where some would have filled in Star Wars. Possibly me included... ;)
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member

Has EA/Maxis ever included a Star Wars theme in any of there their surveys? Admittedly, I've taken a few of them, but not all. Has anything even close to a Star Wars theme been put up in a survey?

There was an open question in one of the surveys regarding which brand folks would like to see in the sims. Apparently that's where some would have filled in Star Wars. Possibly me included... ;)

Oh yeah, I remember that. I think I did too. Sorreh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »

Ditto.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Ditto.

I may have done something like that too. 😅
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Are we forgetting eco lifestyle was in production for over 3 years (which btw was a fan base request, imagine the betrayal the devs felt who worked on this pack for us to tear it apart on release)?? Toddlers took 2/3 years.. I seriously doubt they only started working on The Star Wars pack this year!! They obviously plan out the packs/ updates they are working on wayyyy in advance, at least a whole fiscal year. So if they only asked us about farming and hotels etc recently... You are gonna have to practice some patience in getting these themes.

Honestly, people are just mad and making no sense... The Sims always do crossover packs, maybe stars wars is a little random, but it seems like a decent effort at least. Remember that Katy Perry pack?

Maybe the SW pack isn’t even random? How many people loved when they added a couple of SW cas items yearsssss ago? Could it be that the team decided then and there a full pack was a good idea, and they’ve been working on it since? I mean pleasing both EA and Disney with this pack, would probably take extra time (from a devs POV).

PS not a good look for the people resorting to attacking the girls physical appearance in the video/ thumbnail.. Like yikes.. what even is this community 🙈🙈🙈

The EL pack getting torn apart was not a betrayal to the devs. Not liking a product, being disappointed in a product, and voicing it is not a betrayal of anyone. I don't blame the devs; I blame EA for not investing nearly enough into one of their biggest cash cows.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

PS not a good look for the people resorting to attacking the girls physical appearance in the video/ thumbnail.. Like yikes.. what even is this community 🙈🙈🙈

I wasn’t commenting on anybody’s personal physical appearance and didn’t mean to finger-point at anybody as an individual. Just the thematic trend of every Simtuber copying that same left-hand-corner silly shocked and absolutely floored facial expression for their cover art.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited September 2020

Ditto.

I'm going to pretend that no one else voted and blame it all on you.... lol.

In fact, i'm going to name my very first Star Wars character... "Little Elf".
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

I wasn’t commenting on anybody’s personal physical appearance and didn’t mean to finger-point at anybody as an individual. Just the thematic trend of every Simtuber copying that same left-hand-corner silly shocked and absolutely floored facial expression for their cover art.

I was commenting on that stupid duck face teenagers do that makes them "think" they look good but they just look ridiculous.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I watched the video.

The thing is that even if EA doesn't care, that still does not explain the decisions they took with the sims4, and I think that's what is starting to make people angry. People have asked for certain things for 6 years, hoping that EA and Maxis will listen, and instead we have gotten things that have not been highly requested and people are getting fed up with it.

It's not about the money that went to make Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, it's that money did not go to anything else. I heard the same argument about Spark'd. "Lol, that is a completly different budget" ok? but what did the other budget go to? oh right. Star Wars. "Lol, that is also a different budget" oh ok again, what else did you make? Eco Lifestyle. But that EP is full of bugs! "Oh, that's not our fault."

ok, great, I guess I won't buy anything else then.

The point of the video isn’t just about SW JTB, it’s about how decisions about the game, and it’s marketing are made overall. Spark’d was another attempt to bring new players into the community because EA doesn’t think of The Sims Community in the warm cozy way the name would suggest when they hear “Sims Community” they think pool of buyers. Their only mission is to appeal to the largest pool of buyers possible to recoup the highest possible profits for their shareholders.

As Claire said the Gurus and devs do care what we want, they do try to go to bat for us, but if what they produce isn’t hitting high profit margins if new people are coming in to play the games then they are not going to get money allocated to do the things we’re asking them for, period.

It doesn't feel like that money is going into improving the game though, sadly. Just more, and more shallow packs. Well hopefully this pack will please their shareholders and draw in new players... I wonder how well it will be received by new players though, I suspect they will be able to play through the story in this pack in one or two hours.

Not that EA cares though, they got their money.

I think it’s safe to day that considering we are told “This is too expensive!” And animations and hair styles and swatches are re used all the freaking time, that the profit that the sims is making is not going back into The Sims. Perhaps it’s going into Fifa or Madden but it sure ain’t the Sims 4.

Why would Star Wars fans pay say £70 for a base game and game pack when they can buy a full fledged Star Wars game cheaper? Star Wars fans want to play Star Wars not dress up Star Wars.
    EA want to make money off Star Wars, that’s fine but they know people are still salty over their last Star Wars games with loot boxes so rather than make a decent game without loot boxes, they are throwing it to a community who will buy it even if they don’t like it.

Not true. There's an entire cosplay community that goes back to the original trilogy and also gazillions of Star Wars collectors. Many of those people will get wind of this and jump on it just to try it out. Even if they don't stick around, they are sure to drop the $40 or whatever to give it a shot.

Star Wars is legend and very much alive.

I know it’s alive, as I said my Husband, nephew and even my best friend’s partner are all huge Star Wars fans. They are all gamers and have saw the trailer for the GP but are in the category of “Wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole” They are all varying ages.

Do I think it might spark some SW fans interest? Possibly. But not the ones I know of. They play Star Wars games already. This has no appeal to them.

I also have friends and family that play star wars games and are really big fans (as am I) and none of us including them said they have no intention of buying of playing this game. If they want to play a star wars game then they will play an actual game that is about star wars, not some side mission that has nothing really to do with star wars itself.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    > @auroraael14 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I also have friends and family that play star wars games and are really big fans (as am I) and none of us including them said they have no intention of buying of playing this game. If they want to play a star wars game then they will play an actual game that is about star wars, not some side mission that has nothing really to do with star wars itself.

Which is the opposite of two of my friends who are Star Wars fans have said. They've never had interest in the Sims but this gives them a reason to buy it.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    > @auroraael14 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I also have friends and family that play star wars games and are really big fans (as am I) and none of us including them said they have no intention of buying of playing this game. If they want to play a star wars game then they will play an actual game that is about star wars, not some side mission that has nothing really to do with star wars itself.

Which is the opposite of two of my friends who are Star Wars fans have said. They've never had interest in the Sims but this gives them a reason to buy it.

That's great! Honestly, I'm not happy that this pack is coming out. There are so many other things that they could have added that would have been right up my alley but I am happy for those that will like this pack and enjoy it. I guess I'm also upset that this whole year has been packs that I haven't really cared for besides nifty knitting. I hope the expansion is something that I will enjoy.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    > @auroraael14 said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Sounds like me! I love playing KOTOR and KOTOR 2 at any time (TFU 1 & 2 kinda lost appeal because I'm sick of Starkiller). I haven't really touched Battlefront 2 for a while since I played all the way through (oh, Del. I liked you so) and don't really do the team raids or whatever they are. And I haven't acquired Fallen Order yet, but I'm looking forward to this. It's not gonna be mind-blowing, but it'll let me play the characters that a friend and I made when we were 13 and I can have fun with it. So I'm on board, ready to set hyperspace coordinates and jump FTL to Batuu aboard my YT-2400 (yeah, I stole your ship, Dash Rendar. :D)
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    @Mareah and @CAPTAIN_NXR7, thank you for your answers. That's the only instance that I could think of as well. Yet, that poll wasn't very long ago, was it? I don't remember.

More importantly, have the Gurus ever discussed the results of that poll?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »

Ditto.

I'm going to pretend that no one else voted and blame it all on you.... lol.

In fact, i'm going to name my very first Star Wars character... "Little Elf".

Lol! I'm...honored?? :D

You probably should blame me. I'm known to lead content crusades for DLC that "no one asks for."
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I'm known to lead content crusades for DLC that "no one asks for."

Keep it going. I’m with you all the way!
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 yes I'm salty. I would really like to be able to buy more packs and enjoy the game I've spent money on. Without the core pieces missing this game is essentially in the garbage can. There's no way they could top sims 2 or 3, but they could improve the core game play. A bit frustrating after 6 years.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    We have to remember that EA has gotten away with worse and worse games. Build mode aside, which is VASTLY better than in earlier games, Sims 2 is objectively the best game in the series.

Sims 3 was dumbed down to accomodate for a very poorly optimized open world. Sims 4 was dumbed down even more to accomodate for a mandatory multiplayer / online experience that luckily never happened thanks to Sim City crashing and burning.
    But that's why every bad decision was made from the beginning. Loading screens? To make low end computers handle 10-20 players in the same world at once. And so on.

I have over 2000 hours in Sims 4. But I am fully aware that EA has proven to themselves that they can release a sub par product and never actually fix it's flaws because enough people will buy it anyway.

And now they are really testing their theory by making US pay THEM for an ad. This is a product placement ad for an IRL amusement park. It is in no way based on the movies.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Plumbella did a review, it's just as awful as I thought...HELL yes I still feel salty.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I watched the video.

The thing is that even if EA doesn't care, that still does not explain the decisions they took with the sims4, and I think that's what is starting to make people angry. People have asked for certain things for 6 years, hoping that EA and Maxis will listen, and instead we have gotten things that have not been highly requested and people are getting fed up with it.

It's not about the money that went to make Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, it's that money did not go to anything else. I heard the same argument about Spark'd. "Lol, that is a completly different budget" ok? but what did the other budget go to? oh right. Star Wars. "Lol, that is also a different budget" oh ok again, what else did you make? Eco Lifestyle. But that EP is full of bugs! "Oh, you have to wait until they fix them, by the way, buy our next pack."

I'm done buying half-finished buggy packs that are lacking in content. And I think people have a right to complain when that is only what they are offering.

Agree. It's funny EA didn't care back twenty years ago, either, but somehow those teams at Maxis was able to build robust games full of gameplay and vision of where they were going and why. Funny how that was possible if every thing is always EA's fault. No one ever has to look any higher than at the president of Maxis.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is such a tough pill to swallow but I understand the model. I suspected this to a degree but I guess the reality is that even if I don't buy this it does not matter to EA.....capitalism at it's worse unfortunately but if like me you've bought everything else then that's the only thing they will care about. £70 to bring in new Simmers interested in Star Wars primarily is way more worthwhile than someone who's choosing not to spend £20 to the £700 they've already spent. Harsh but true.

Thanks for sharing the video, I'm by no means happy but this should hopefully give context to a community frustrated and looking for answers....

I guess a saving grace to this is that it looks like most of the things on offer here are strictly related to Star Wars, in that if you don't buy it you aren't missing out on anything like laptops, decent hairs/piercings etc
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I watched the video.

It's not about the money that went to make Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, it's that money did not go to anything else. I heard the same argument about Spark'd. "Lol, that is a completly different budget" ok? but what did the other budget go to? oh right. Star Wars. "Lol, that is also a different budget" oh ok again, what else did you make? Eco Lifestyle. But that EP is full of bugs! "Oh, you have to wait until they fix them, by the way, buy our next pack."

I'm done buying half-finished buggy packs that are lacking in content. And I think people have a right to complain when that is only what they are offering.

Agree. It's funny EA didn't care back twenty years ago, either, but somehow those teams at Maxis was able to build robust games full of gameplay and vision of where they were going and why. Funny how that was possible if every thing is always EA's fault. No one ever has to look any higher than at the president of Maxis.

Because these things tend to be progressive. EA is always testing the waters of incremental monetization, that's kinda their jam. They've done it with other franchises as well, and they only backpedal when the outcry & negative press become too massive to ignore. But that rarely happens for the sims because let's face it, most gamers don't care about the sims.

Still, even in TS3 you can find a lot of cut corners, broken features, gameplay that isn't thought-through at all. It's been a slow but steady descent with TS2 reeling in a massive fanbase as it was so innovative compared to its predecessor, and EA using the next two iterations to figure out just how and how well they can make money off of the franchise.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Also to the OP: I don't understand how people can be offended at this lol. She's not telling anyone not to be salty, she's not defending EA, she's just giving people a reality check. And keeps saying: OF COURSE you're angry and of course this isn't what TS needs rn, with so many other things still missing that used to be base game features, but it doesn't take away from the fact that none of our missing features keep EA execs awake at night, and none of our needs really matter as long as the cash flow stays in the green.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Surrender to the fact that life is not fair.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I appreciate these game packs. I like the option of not buying supernatural or science fiction or fantasy items. I was pretty upset when the one expansion pack I wanted more than any other pack included aliens in it. I've switched back to TS2 and I'm enjoying it a lot more--but I have to use mods to keep werewolves and witches away, so again--I appreciate the compartmentalisation. I'm sure those who really enjoy Star Wars are going to love this pack :)