Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling salty about Journey To Batuu?

Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
Then you need to watch this, it explains pretty much everything you need to know about the inside story of how these games and packs are developed and why, from the perspective of someone who worked in the video game industry.

https://youtu.be/fN-qdPhHMF4
Post edited by Pamtastic72 on

Comments

• Options
    Wow....how rude "no one cares that you a salty."....
    Last thing I need is another dang scolding.
    I know a lot of people and myself have a right to be angry.

It’s not a scolding. You have to watch it. She used to work in video game development and she explains why the community tearing itself to shreds is not going to prevent these decisions and that the dev team actually has very little say in a lot of theses types of decisions. You have judged the book by the cover on this one and your depriving yourself of valuable information.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I really like how she put everything. She made a lot of really good points about this topic and it’s well worth a watch.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Akl500P wrote: »
    I really like how she put everything. She made a lot of really good points about this topic and it’s well worth a watch.

Yes, I never understood before how many times devs actually have no say in pack theme decisions. What she says about it bringing new players which could ultimately benefit The Sims franchise as a whole makes sense too. ETA: I know my household is a two generation Star Wars fandom, myself and my son and I am sure we aren’t the only one.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I agree with some of what she says. Although it does sound like she is defending EA and their awful business practices. There is a reason EA have the reputation they have and are being sued right now over loot boxes.

She is right that EA don’t care. I think that’s kind of obvious by now :D She is also correct when she says they are trying to get new people into the franchise.
    (And I still believe they know fine well that fans are collectors and will buy it anyway)

The Gurus probably didn’t decide this pack thats true, but Lyndsay and I’m pretty sure Grant have said they have a lot of freedom with themes and what they get to put into things.

EA have had a few failed SW packs. What better way to recoup their cash? Put it in a community that will buy anything.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

This is why it's important to actually watch the video rather than reading two words and forming an opinion, that wasn't what she was saying at all.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    edited August 2020

Yes, I never understood before how many times devs actually have no say in pack theme decisions. What she says about it bringing new players which could ultimately benefit The Sims franchise as a whole makes sense too. ETA: I know my household is a two generation Star Wars fandom, myself and my son and I am sure we aren’t the only one.

A lot of women on the Ladies-Only Star Wars FaceBook Group I’m in are talking about getting this pack. Some of us have had/played the Sims since day 1 (Why do I feel so old :D), some haven’t. But there’s quite a bit of excitement about it. That can always lead to new players wanting to try other packs too.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Onverser wrote: »

This is why it's important to actually watch the video rather than reading two words and forming an opinion, that wasn't what she was saying at all.

Still She's defending EA's practices though.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Gordy wrote: »
    Can someone give me the tl;dr? I'm sure this lady is cool, but I'd rather not spend 17 minutes watching a video that may or may not just summarize what we already know/suspect.

Same, I was not going to sit through 17 minutes of her defending EA.
    Also with a dang title like that turned tail quickly.
  • Options
    I didn’t see it as defending EA so much as explaining that all these big corporations like EA are beholden to those who bought stock in the company and expect a huge return on their investment. So that’s who they aim to please 99% of the time, and we in the community tearing ourselves apart and attacking the devs isn’t going to have an impact. It also a salient point that a percentage of the community can boycott this pack at $20.00 USD but if enough new players are interested enough to buy this pack plus the base game at an additional $60.00 USD that basically cancels out the boycotters profit wise, and since Star Wars is enormous as franchises go, that’s entirely likely.
  • Options
    I didn’t see it as defending EA so much as explaining that all these big corporations like EA are beholden to those who bought stock in the company and expect a huge return on their investment. So that’s who they aim to please 99% of the time, and we in the community tearing ourselves apart and attacking the devs isn’t going to have an impact. It also a salient point that a percentage of the community can boycott this pack at $20.00 USD but if enough new players are interested enough to buy this pack plus the base game at an additional $60.00 USD that basically cancels out the boycotters profit wise, and since Star Wars is enormous as franchises go, that’s entirely likely.

I would love to see over 83k dislikes DOESN'T make a inpact...
    I know this pack will most likely have poor sales.
    And I am no way gonna to buy it.
  • Options
    Haflinger wrote: »

A lot of women on the Ladies-Only Star Wars FaceBook Group I’m in are talking about getting this pack. Some of us have had/played the Sims since day 1 (Why do I feel so old :D), some haven’t. But there’s quite a bit of excitement about it. That can always lead to new players wanting to try other packs too.

Which is a huge point she made in the video. New players will spend about $60.00 USD (barring a sale) on the base game because they will need it to play the pack at an additional $20.00 USD multiplied by thousands, tens of thousands, potentially millions of people.
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    Can someone give me the tl;dr? I'm sure this lady is cool, but I'd rather not spend 17 minutes watching a video that may or may not just summarize what we already know/suspect.

Same, I was not going to sit through 17 minutes of her defending EA.
    Also with a dang title like that turned tail quickly.

Then you’re complaining simply for the sake of complaining because it’s not a defense of EA, it an inside baseball if you will, peek behind the scenes of how this theme may have come to be from someone who actually worked in a video game company for awhile. She never once says EA made the right call here, she explains why they made this call, based on the potential for huge profits with two huge franchises merging in this pack.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Personally I am one of the people who are excited for this pack but I did watch the video anyway. I think she makes very good points.
  • Options

I would love to see over 83k dislikes DOESN'T make a inpact...
    I know this pack will most likely have poor sales.
    And I am no way gonna to buy it.

You don’t have to buy it, but you are also likely way underestimating the power of the Star Wars fan base. When they get wind of anything Star Wars they’re instantly curious and they have their wallets at the ready. It’s literally millions of people world wide spanning as I have said before at least two full generations. This pack is an effort to bring some of them who never played Sims before into the game and hold them long enough to hook them in an effort to get them to invest more money in The Sims. Will it work 🤷🏼‍♀️ only time will tell.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    ea does not listen too what players want. They only listen too stock holders who want a profit now
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Personally I am one of the people who are excited for this pack but I did watch the video anyway. I think she makes very good points.

I am too. I was 5 when New Hope hit theaters, my parents took us and I was hooked from the opening credits. But where I really fell in love was Princess Leia, because it was the first time in my whole life where I saw the portrayal of a woman who was perfectly capable of rescuing herself and holding her own in a tough situation, and that’s what I mean. I have a lot of friends who are Star Wars fans young and older and the love and the loyalty runs deep. I don’t know if I will ultimately like it in my sims game but I am willing to be open minded.
  • Options
    bandit5 wrote: »
    ea does not listen too what players want. They only listen too stock holders who want a profit now
    Pretty much, it’s not just EA, it’s the way all publicly traded corporations operate.
  • Options

Still She's defending EA's practices though.

No, she's explaining how they work. She said she doesn't agree with it but that's just the reality of corporations. She actually said she doesn't like the pack and wouldn't buy it herself. Again, I'd recommend dedicating the time to watching the video before passing judgement and forming ill informed opinions.
    @Gordy
    The main points:
    - EA is a corporation, they've bought the rights to star wars and want to make it worthwhile and make as much money back as possible.
    - EA doesn't care if existing customers are angry, because this pack will attract new customers and ultimately make more money because new customers will get into the game and start buying things. (existing player - 20 bucks for a pack, new player - 20 bucks for the base game, 20 bucks for the pack and then possibly more packs aswell.)
    - The decision was made by higher ups in the company, and the developers had no say in it. (see point 1)
    - If the team wants to fix certain issues (like the skin tones), it's a long process to get the higher ups in the company to grant them the time and resources for it. It's not an instant thing that they can decide what they work on.

Excellent synopsis.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    I watched the video.

The thing is that even if EA doesn't care, that still does not explain the decisions they took with the sims4, and I think that's what is starting to make people angry. People have asked for certain things for 6 years, hoping that EA and Maxis will listen, and instead we have gotten things that have not been highly requested and people are getting fed up with it.

It's not about the money that went to make Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, it's that money did not go to anything else. I heard the same argument about Spark'd. "Lol, that is a completly different budget" ok? but what did the other budget go to? oh right. Star Wars. "Lol, that is also a different budget" oh ok again, what else did you make? Eco Lifestyle. But that EP is full of bugs! "Oh, that's not our fault."

ok, great, I guess I won't buy anything else then.

👏 👏 👏👏 👏
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Clare is throwing out truth. :)
    Really, at this stage of the product's cycle, current players have less clout.
    It's the players that they don't have that they care about, because those players can be sold the entire catalogue of packs.

Us early adopters already gave them our money. When the next pack is something we really do want, the cash will flow.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds