March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone ready for TS5 now?

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I am ready for Paralives does that count?

I've been looking into that game a little lately. I find the graphics are a little off putting for me though which is weird cause usually I prefer the more cartoon style graphics. It will depend on actual game play whether I will get it. I have no interest in building.

I agree. Paralives seems great when it comes to the type of gameplay options its promising. But for a game being designed in 2020 its discouraging to see the type of graphics we'd expect more from a 2010 game. There are probably a lot of people who would easily trade in the graphical eye-candy game style for some great gameplay features, but i'm not sure if that's a path i'd be taking a brand new 2020 game in. I think, overall, the poor graphics of paralives is going to be a major liability when it comes to adopting new players to the game. The game isn't even out yet and already we have to roll the dice on what we want more. Graphics, or gameplay features. It's not 2010 anymore. We shouldn't have to be making that choice. It shouldn't be either/or. Not in 2020.

Even sims 3 has better graphics than paralives. And that says something. Especially when considering that paralives is still in developement.
    I don't think it will. I mean graphics still look better than Sims 4 in a lot of ways. Graphics were inspired by Ooblets. Had an Untitled Goose Game cartoon style about it too. Cartoon doesn't always mean bad. Just a different art style but I do think it will be optimized for lower graphic laptops while the Newbury game has a more realistic look to it. Options for everyone beyond just the Sims.

I'm not seeing it. Graphics look better than sims 4 in a lot of ways? I would have to see some of your examples because obviously I must be missing something.

I agree and I'm glad to see someone else be honest about it. I'm definitely not impressed by the art, I think the parafolk look like they were designed by an amateur artist. Maybe they were, I don't know, and I'm not trying to be insulting to any of the devs but I think they made a bad choice and the character art needs to be cleaned up or changed.

The environments are better (not better than Sims 4 though, in my opinion), I've seen some nice scenes, but the people look like they were designed by an artist who didn't study anatomy at all. Not just that, but the faces even look... I don't know ...warped or something. And the bodies look disproportionate to me, especially if you change the height slider because it doesn't actually change the height, it changes the entire size of the avatar and that's going to make it look really weird in game when avatars are near each other.

It just brings down the game to look less professional and if it's truly going to be a competitor to The Sims and succeed, they need to make improvements in that area.
    #Team Occult
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    LiELF wrote: »

I've been looking into that game a little lately. I find the graphics are a little off putting for me though which is weird cause usually I prefer the more cartoon style graphics. It will depend on actual game play whether I will get it. I have no interest in building.

I agree. Paralives seems great when it comes to the type of gameplay options its promising. But for a game being designed in 2020 its discouraging to see the type of graphics we'd expect more from a 2010 game. There are probably a lot of people who would easily trade in the graphical eye-candy game style for some great gameplay features, but i'm not sure if that's a path i'd be taking a brand new 2020 game in. I think, overall, the poor graphics of paralives is going to be a major liability when it comes to adopting new players to the game. The game isn't even out yet and already we have to roll the dice on what we want more. Graphics, or gameplay features. It's not 2010 anymore. We shouldn't have to be making that choice. It shouldn't be either/or. Not in 2020.

Even sims 3 has better graphics than paralives. And that says something. Especially when considering that paralives is still in developement.
    I don't think it will. I mean graphics still look better than Sims 4 in a lot of ways. Graphics were inspired by Ooblets. Had an Untitled Goose Game cartoon style about it too. Cartoon doesn't always mean bad. Just a different art style but I do think it will be optimized for lower graphic laptops while the Newbury game has a more realistic look to it. Options for everyone beyond just the Sims.

I'm not seeing it. Graphics look better than sims 4 in a lot of ways? I would have to see some of your examples because obviously I must be missing something.

I agree and I'm glad to see someone else be honest about it. I'm definitely not impressed by the art, I think the parafolk look like they were designed by an amateur artist. Maybe they were, I don't know, and I'm not trying to be insulting to any of the devs but I think they made a bad choice and the character art needs to be cleaned up or changed.

The environments are better (not better than Sims 4 though, in my opinion), I've seen some nice scenes, but the people look like they were designed by an artist who didn't study anatomy at all. Not just that, but the faces even look... I don't know ...warped or something. And the bodies look disproportionate to me, especially if you change the height slider because it doesn't actually change the height, it changes the entire size of the avatar and that's going to make it look really weird in game when avatars are near each other.

It just brings down the game to look less professional and if it's truly going to be a competitor to The Sims and succeed, they need to make improvements in that area.
    Original artist of the characters got let go, so we will see how they will progress with a new artist. It's fine. Art is subjective. I mean if you want to talk about a game I really find pretty, it is Guild Wars 2 even with it being an older game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited August 2020
    Please, for the love of Sims, will someone tell me why they think all (or even any) of the deficits and issues of Sims4 will be remedied by Sims5? Or is this simply some desperate drive for hope?
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member

I noticed that as well. The height slider feature isn't really a height slider feature as much as its an object resizer slider. Rather than make the parafolk shorter/taller, it resizes the entire character.

And OMG, the characters themselves. They're not even attractive enough to be called ugly.

The lighting I enjoy more, the animation of objects are better. Has more color options. There are a lot of new tech and graphic details put into the game that just more stable and graphically appealing than a six year old game. Sims 4 actually has a lot of low poly issues that Sims 2 didn't suffer with the objects. Never been a huge fans of the Sims 4 graphics personally with the little details.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoSzbB7UH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnf1m0H4vkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQjMVxwYbU

The smooth transition between the different modes is really well done too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJAm8UEi4CE

Their objects actually look round looking and I have always been a fan of a good color wheel that gives me nice Sims 3 CAS vibes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgQuTYoBosE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38gxPrDw0Y

That curved wall too is lovely:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm08XAI55Vk

So yes new tech does help games. Sims 4 tech well is limited because it was originally going to be an online game and uses the same limited engine that SimCity used and even the same style of UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKs6x-SA_mA

So glad they got rid of those blueprint neighborhoods Sims 4 used to have. They used to look like this until some of us complained about the literal headaches it was causing many of us:
    Sims4-111.jpg

Sims 4 also has this odd blue/green hue to it, so many of the colors have a bluish tint to it including the greys and blacks of hairs for example. Anyways I'll stop there. Sims 4 just showing its SimCity 2013 style age. It won't age well graphically.

Your argument is pretty much based on lighting and color features. As for the graphics of the finished product..... sims 4 has nothing to worry about. The sims 4 graphics makes paralives look extremely outdated.

If you prefer the graphics in paralives better... that's fair enough. I can respect that. But to suggest that paralives graphics are better "in a lot of ways" than sims 4..... sorry. I strongly disagree.
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    @gnelso1239

The sims has actually improved on their series in the past. Sims 2 is far less advanced and player intuitive than sims 3, for example, it can be done. Theres literally no reason to think Sims 5 wont improve on sims 4.
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
    edited August 2020

Original artist of the characters got let go, so we will see how they will progress with a new artist. It's fine. Art is subjective. I mean if you want to talk about a game I really find pretty, it is Guild Wars 2 even with it being an older game.

Take a look at the graphics in Guild Wars 2. And that was released 8 years ago (August 28, 2012). Paralives is still in development in the year 2020, and look at the state of it graphic-wise. It already looks greatly outdated and its not even finished yet.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people think the sims 5 is going to be perfect and fix everyones issues with TS4, if you don't like the direction the games going in now you probably won't like the next one.

If they aren't paying attention to what players want now, I doubt they'll suddenly start for the next game sadly.
    This!

Say a sport player performing poorly for several seasons. In this case no one expect him to win Olympics the next. I do not see why it has to be different for gaming. Seeing Sims 4 rolling downhill I do not believe Sims 5 will be better. I expect it'll be worse.

With mobile gaming become more profitable and massive than PC I totally see why Sims franchise shifting its direction. And I expect Sims 5 will cater to mobile gaming style more (we already have some gurus' interviews hinting to this). And though it's understandable it's not what I want from life simulation game.

So I'm ready to move to another game (not necessary new). I'm very skeptic about crowdfunding indies so the only one I would be waiting for is the one from Paradox speculated some time ago. Meanwhile it's Sims 2 and Sims 3 for me.
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure why people think the sims 5 is going to be perfect and fix everyones issues with TS4, if you don't like the direction the games going in now you probably won't like the next one.

If they aren't paying attention to what players want now, I doubt they'll suddenly start for the next game sadly.

This isn't even based on a fair argument. Who exactly is claiming that sims 5 would be "perfect"? Or "fix everyone's issues with sims 4"?

Of course sims 5 isn't going to be perfect. And no, it likely won't fix everyone's issues with sims 4. So that means what? It's destined to be garbage?

What I do trust to be true is.... EA/Maxis has realized with sims 4 that people will in fact purchase a pet's pack with just cats and dogs in it - then yet another pack just for rodents. So the idea of them offering another sims 3 pets pack (cats, dogs, horses, lizards, turtles, snakes and birds) is likely not going to happen.

EA/Maxis with sims 4 has realized that people will in fact purchase life-states separately (vampire, ROM, Island Living), so the idea of seeing any future pack like sims 3 supernatural (witches, vampires, fairies, and werewolves)... likely not going to happen.

So in this sense.... I agree. Things are not going to get better. Probably more of the same. Or... EA/Maxis will test the waters further with TS5 and try to have a Cats pack, then later a dog's pack. If they succeed with that, sims 6 may have us buying each cat and dog separately.

To some degree, we are our own worst enemy. No matter how much EA/Maxis waters down, and slices up the game... we keep throwing our money in their pocket.

When they offered us a pets pack with just cats and dogs in it.... then, had the audacity to ask us to pay for yet another pack just to get rodents. We, as a community should have laughed at them and walked away. When they offered us a pack with just vampires, and expected us to pay for each other life state separately as well. We, as a community, should have laughed at them, and walked away.

On release day we supported the game without pools. For 2 more years we supported the game without toddlers. 6 years later, we still financially support the game despite the bugs, object babies, the lacking features, and watered down-sliced up mess the sims 4 is.... and .... that's on us. Not EA/Maxis.

If we, as a community, are willing to pay EA/Maxis to run 1 mile, we can't complain when they don't volunteer to run 5 miles for us. We're not paying them for 5 miles. We are quite willing to pay them for just 1. So 1... is all we get.

We reap what we sow.

If TS5 isn't up to par upon release, what will we do? Any guesses? We'll give EA money for it that's what we'll do. We will still pay for it. Then, after we hit the pay now button we'll flock to the forum here to complain about the state of the game while waiting for the DLC's to come out so we can buy them too. That's where we as a community are failing.

Then, we expect EA to do better. Better than what??? And what exactly is their incentive???

I think we all need to wake up here and take responsibility for our own part in the blame game. The sims 4 is in the state its in.... because that's what we keep paying for.

So for those of you who don't think sims 5 will get any better.... for the most part I agree with you. But not because of EA/Maxis..... it'll be our fault. We get what we pay for.
    Post edited by muzickmage on
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Then, we expect EA to do better. Better than what??? And what exactly is their incentive???

Better than the competition? So they don't lose the simming community?

What competition? I see a lot of talk about paralives, but what I don't see is... a buy now button. Spending the next 5 years creating paralives with 2010 graphics when EA only has to add a few of paralives features to TS5 coupled with modern graphics... and where will paralives be? Hoping we'll all transfer over because of their so-called height slider.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!

What competition? I see a lot of talk about paralives, but what I don't see is... a buy now button. Spending the next 5 years creating paralives with 2010 graphics when EA only has to add a few of paralives features to TS5 coupled with modern graphics... and where will paralives be? Hoping we'll all transfer over because of their so-called height slider.

Does EA have your attitude that they think they have no competition? Okay, their funeral.....

edited August 2020

Does EA have your attitude that they think they have no competition? Okay, their funeral.....

If you know of competition that will likely release before TS5, and prevent us all from spending literally hundreds on a lesser quality game.... fair enough.... please share. Where can I go to buy this game?

Where is it? Where's this great alternative?

If you know of competition that will likely release before TS5, and prevent us all from spending literally hundreds on a lesser quality game.... fair enough.... please share. Where can I go to buy this game?

Where is it? Where's this great alternative?

Why should I tell you? You're not EA. You don't speak for them.

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    @Onverser

Um, idk. Maybe because if sims 5 doesnt improve on the series and lacks a lot of features, it will suffer greatly from poor sales. We wont be doing another sims 4, situation, again. Former fans will be weary, leery & the game will fail.

I doubt that, a large portion of players will just buy everything out of some weird loyalty or obsession with having the "full collection". A lot of people have been complaining about TS4 from day one, yet for some reason they've bought every single pack since and continue to do so.

I'm sure a ton of people who've been complaining about the star wars pack will still buy it, I've never really understood it but people just buy whatever they're given no matter what. Same as the people who bought vampires even though they don't want vampires in their game, it makes no sense.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I've been ready for years, but then they dropped the announcement saying they're keeping the sims 4 on life support for the next 3-5 years or whatever soooo....yeah.

Would ts5 even be good at this point? I hope it would be but that'll probably end in disappointment too (no hate to devs or anyone working hard on the current game, I disagree with your creative choices but still respect you as people ✌🏻 keep being awesome)
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    I don't understand why people are looking forward to TS5.... it will be no different than TS4 is now
    Flexono1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are looking forward to TS5.... it will be no different than TS4 is now

Theres no "proof" or evidence of that since sims 5 hasnt been revealed yet @Flexono1

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Counts for me and ready to give it an go! :):)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Part of me looks forward to crack up when people become disappointed in Sims 5, realizing it wasn't the salvation they had hoped for and foolishly bet all their happisness on.

I'm very sorry, but we don't know what the future Sims 5 is going to be like, and it is naive to put it on a pedestal when nothing is known about it yet.

But I digress...

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    Well some reasons why I still have hope for a sims 5...
    • Made by a different team, this might not be true but I don't find it likely that the people in charge of the sims4 will have the energy to make all the decisions for the sims5, I would not be surprised if some other people will take over (I vote for SimGuruConor)
    • No cancelled multiplayer, if the sims5 are going to support multiplayer, then it will probably be built correctly for it this time, or they will hopefully scrap multiplayer and build the game so that it will run well in singleplayer.
    • Better engine which helps them implement things that they have had trouble with in the sims4. When you have trouble to make something simple as a ladder because your engine is apparently really difficult to work with when it comes to elevation and walkstyles, then you probably want to invest in your next engine so that it supports that.
    • Larger budget, hopefully the reason why EA are outsourcing everything for the sims4 is because they are spending money working on the sims5.
    • Better tools for making animation, if EA are following suit like other studios, then they are investing in new tech so that they can make animations easier. I seem to recall they actually hired people that were skilled in this field a couple of years ago. That will mean less reused animations, more interactions etc.

And finally, they are working on their next game, most likely pre-production because games takes so long to make. They would be crazy if they are not working on it because the next consoles are coming.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    @gnelso1239

The sims has actually improved on their series in the past. Sims 2 is far less advanced and player intuitive than sims 3, for example, it can be done. Theres literally no reason to think Sims 5 wont improve on sims 4.

I appreciate your opinion.

Nindigo wrote: »
    Part of me looks forward to crack up when people become disappointed in Sims 5, realizing it wasn't the salvation they had hoped for and foolishly bet all their happisness on.

I'm very sorry, but we don't know what the future Sims 5 is going to be like, and it is naive to put it on a pedestal when nothing is known about it yet.

But I digress...

@Nindigo Sims 5 doesnt have to try hard to be better than sims 4 though :D

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »

But I digress...

@Nindigo Sims 5 doesnt have to try hard to be better than sims 4 though :D

EXACTLY lol!!!!
    Anything....could be better than TS4.