Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited September 2020

Gosh simmers are terrible at business. You don't make content for a single person to be happy. You don't make content for a small fraction to be happy. A good company makes products people *want* and listen to their needs. Does your car have an 8track in it? No. Because car companies hold focus groups and listen to customers. Does Pretty Woman have a happy ending? Yes because test audiences didn't like the original ending and the studio listened. How many medical necessities like birth control or PREP have undergone changes based on consumer reactions? So many.

Sorry but this whole defense going around that customers don't deserve a voice is stifling, ignorant 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

The point of my comment is that customers DO deserve a voice, all of them, and that includes those who want things the majority think shouldn't be put in to the game until every single one of their own personal wants and desires are met.
    I'm glad they added things the majority don't want, like vampires or spellcasters or JA or Eco Lifestyle, because without them I wouldn't have bothered buying the game at all. My money is worth just as much as any one else's.
    For the same reason I won't be trying Paralives when it comes out. No occults on release = you don't want my money so you don't get it.

Good business practice whether we like it or not includes enticing new customers. Especially when you have an already established customer base who will buy anything you put out regardless of whether they want it.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I don't see the problem with buying a Game Pack for build/buy and I don't think it's supporting "bad company practices" at all. It's a matter of perspective whether a pack is worth its cost or not, and each player has to decide for themselves how that weighs against their own play style and usage. A builder, for example, is only buying packs to build with anyway because they don't play in live mode. We have a huge builder community and I don't think it's right to tell them they're contributing to what's wrong with the gaming industry. If they're getting what they need from a pack, and it gives them more creative build options to share with the community, what is the problem? There are many different ways to play the game and none of them are wrong.

Also, a GP costs $20 (US). In past games, that same cost got us a Stuff Pack with no gameplay. Furniture, objects, and CAS only. Stuff Packs were fluff. I think people forget this. If there's one major thing that I think Sims 4 has done right, it's offering GPs. I know some would disagree for a variety of reasons, but I hold my stance on this. The monetary value has gone way up. Even with a pack like Outdoor Retreat, which is the first and probably one of the skimpiest, there's a lot more to it than what previous SPs offered for 20 bucks. If anything, we used to be way overcharged for TS2 and TS3 Stuff Packs. Half the cost of an EP? We were nuts to buy into that.

I think GPs were a way to replace TS3 store content, while upgrading the previous SP cost model. They are completely optional in content, experimental, created for a focused interest, and a way for players to pick and choose what they like. The EPs still exist for the standard content, and we've been getting two a year, so that hasn't been taken away.

I strongly feel that GPs should be supported and hope that they will be carried over into Sims 5.
    #Team Occult
    j1z1 wrote: »
    Well, that's why I'll continue to dole out the feedback, but if I'm still getting something out of it, then it's not a futile purchase.

@j1z1 It's still is affecting the Sims negatively so if you see that and don't mind sure, but don't expect people to be in love with the idea of buying a pack for build and buy when you tell them that. I hope you see where this affects all of us.
    It's not solely about justifying your purchase to yourself.

People buy just for the build.buy all the time, why would this be any different? Looking at the people who bought Vampires then complained loudly they didn't want to have to see vampires messing up their realism......
    CelSims wrote: »

Gosh simmers are terrible at business. You don't make content for a single person to be happy. You don't make content for a small fraction to be happy. A good company makes products people *want* and listen to their needs. Does your car have an 8track in it? No. Because car companies hold focus groups and listen to customers. Does Pretty Woman have a happy ending? Yes because test audiences didn't like the original ending and the studio listened. How many medical necessities like birth control or PREP have undergone changes based on consumer reactions? So many.

Sorry but this whole defense going around that customers don't deserve a voice is stifling, ignorant 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

The point of my comment is that customers DO deserve a voice, all of them, and that includes those who want things the majority think shouldn't be put in to the game until every single one of their own personal wants and desires are met.
    I'm glad they added things the majority don't want, like vampires or spellcasters or JA or Eco Lifestyle, because without them I wouldn't have bothered buying the game at all. My money is worth just as much as any one else's.
    For the same reason I won't be trying Paralives when it comes out. No occults on release = you don't want my money so you don't get it.

Good business practice whether we like it or not includes enticing new customers. Especially when you have an already established customer base who will buy anything you put out regardless of whether they want it.

I'll shout out a Hallelujah to this and add that obviously, The Sims is not a car, and customer wrangling is not a one-size-fits-all solution for all companies. With The Sims, catering to the same players over and over might buy that one group's loyalty, but it will also eventually drive the different varieties of minority players away. That's a great way to kill a business.
    #Team Occult
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with buying a Game Pack for build/buy and I don't think it's supporting "bad company practices" at all. It's a matter of perspective whether a pack is worth its cost or not, and each player has to decide for themselves how that weighs against their own play style and usage. A builder, for example, is only buying packs to build with anyway because they don't play in live mode. We have a huge builder community and I don't think it's right to tell them they're contributing to what's wrong with the gaming industry. If they're getting what they need from a pack, and it gives them more creative build options to share with the community, what is the problem? There are many different ways to play the game and none of them are wrong.

Also, a GP costs $20 (US). In past games, that same cost got us a Stuff Pack with no gameplay. Furniture, objects, and CAS only. Stuff Packs were fluff. I think people forget this. If there's one major thing that I think Sims 4 has done right, it's offering GPs. I know some would disagree for a variety of reasons, but I hold my stance on this. The monetary value has gone way up. Even with a pack like Outdoor Retreat, which is the first and probably one of the skimpiest, there's a lot more to it than what previous SPs offered for 20 bucks. If anything, we used to be way overcharged for TS2 and TS3 Stuff Packs. Half the cost of an EP? We were nuts to buy into that.

I think GPs were a way to replace TS3 store content, while upgrading the previous SP cost model. They are completely optional in content, experimental, created for a focused interest, and a way for players to pick and choose what they like. The EPs still exist for the standard content, and we've been getting two a year, so that hasn't been taken away.

I strongly feel that GPs should be supported and hope that they will be carried over into Sims 5.

For some GPs are nice but at the same time the implementation of them does not necessarily add enough potential to this version for like other packs they tend to be gimped in order as not to hinder performance and for that is not an good thing especially older versions was able to more than this version can. However, if Sims 4 wasn't so restrictive, I could get more out an GP other than items for the GP offers items and as well as new neighborhoods that was once made by users but now is an paid option.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited September 2020
    j1z1 wrote: »
    Well, that's why I'll continue to dole out the feedback, but if I'm still getting something out of it, then it's not a futile purchase.

@j1z1 It's still is affecting the Sims negatively so if you see that and don't mind sure, but don't expect people to be in love with the idea of buying a pack for build and buy when you tell them that. I hope you see where this affects all of us.
    It's not solely about justifying your purchase to yourself.

People buy just for the build.buy all the time, why would this be any different? Looking at the people who bought Vampires then complained loudly they didn't want to have to see vampires messing up their realism......

I will be forever mad about this, wanting a pack for the B/B&CaS items, but then complain about the main feature of the pack resulting in super nerfed Vampires and Spellcasters who's magical interactions are limited to the Magic Realm unless directed by the player. At least we can see Mermaids in Sulani after discovering the special conch shell and using it. :-/
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

For some GPs are nice but at the same time the implementation of them does not necessarily add enough potential to this version for like other packs they tend to be gimped in order as not to hinder performance and for that is not an good thing especially older versions was able to more than this version can. However, if Sims 4 wasn't so restrictive, I could get more out an GP other than items for the GP offers items and as well as new neighborhoods that was once made by users but now is an paid option.

Yeah, I wouldn't blame it on the GP, I think it's more of a base game issue. I think a lot of the packs would have felt more satisfying in general if the base game had been released with more depth from the beginning, like previous titles. The core gameplay would have already been there and the pack would have built more onto it, combining with a much fuller gameplay experience.

#Team Occult
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I answered that already. When you buy a pack then you support everything that comes with it. They don't know if you only liked the build abs buy. They just see high sales and think "we put less effort into the gameplay for this Gamepack but people are still buying, so we should keep putting less effort"
    After all it is a game pack and it's focus is the gameplay. Buying it for BB sends the wrong message.
    This is how we ended up with the packs we have.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I like the look of the new pack. I'm a fan of star wars.
    I don't like the look of the build restrictions :#
    I do, however, love the look of build, buy and create a sim B)

I can understand why some are upset we still don't have features we are constantly requesting. only for EA to bring the complete opposite to the game.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yeah, I wouldn't blame it on the GP, I think it's more of a base game issue. I think a lot of the packs would have felt more satisfying in general if the base game had been released with more depth from the beginning, like previous titles. The core gameplay would have already been there and the pack would have built more onto it, combining with a much fuller gameplay experience.

For some it depends if that GP is restrictive to one area and not others. But over the concept of GPs are not bad and I like them myself almost more than EPs because of the pricing but some GPs depending on content may not be worth $20.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    baddazoner wrote: »
    saw a few youtube videos where even the title was, Why EA!!! Comments from people saying we didn't vote for this etc

Seems like a good pack that would be fun and different for usual packs

Also no offence but the community votes for the worst possible packs. you guys did vote for laundry day and knitting

They tend to forget that EA has a license for Star Wars and even though a different production company, EA is still in charge. I for one are happy for the Star Wars pack and I don't expect it to be "lore" as they are putting it into a Sims game and not a official Star Wars game. Finally a pack I will like.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Every pack offers different reasons to buy it (or ignore it) for different people. I'm more of a builder and less of a player, so with all the build/buy and debug stuff, I will greatly enjoy this pack (I would enjoy it more if we had a SW world to build in....). If this pack offers nothing for you then pass on it, but don't tell others they can't enjoy it just because you're bitter. We all have our reasons for buying or passing. You have yours and we have ours. It is a shame that some get more enjoyment from trying to make others feel bad about liking what they do not. You have the right to your opinion. We have the right to ours.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Every pack offers different reasons to buy it (or ignore it) for different people. I'm more of a builder and less of a player, so with all the build/buy and debug stuff, I will greatly enjoy this pack (I would enjoy it more if we had a SW world to build in....). If this pack offers nothing for you then pass on it, but don't tell others they can't enjoy it just because you're bitter. We all have our reasons for buying or passing. You have yours and we have ours. It is a shame that some get more enjoyment from trying to make others feel bad about liking what they do not. You have the right to your opinion. We have the right to ours.

@Dannydanbo I'm trying to explain how I see it and that sometimes it's not a thing of opinion. It's more objective.
    I already explained what I meant so I don't want to have to do it again. Do whatever you want with your money but also know how what you're spending your money affects the future of the Sims, of gaming and even other people's games. If you only care about your own fun and don't care about the bigger picture be my guest. I just wanted to make sure you are actually aware of the bigger picture.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    Pff I am the only one who love the pack despite the lack of SW's important stuff? :'( I do not care of the youtubers point of view I never heard them . :'( To me it's a great addition to the game as I like alien/human world as the Jedi,as my sims are aliens without powers that's awesome to me ! Well I like the idea very much of course this is not perfect as casual, that lacks so much gameplay they didn't add a lot of interesting things from the saga this is probably why this pack is disappointed . But I love the idea and the trailer is good.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member

Wisely stated.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

@Dannydanbo I'm trying to explain how I see it and that sometimes it's not a thing of opinion. It's more objective.
    I already explained what I meant so I don't want to have to do it again. Do whatever you want with your money but also know how what you're spending your money affects the future of the Sims, of gaming and even other people's games. If you only care about your own fun and don't care about the bigger picture be my guest. I just wanted to make sure you are actually aware of the bigger picture.

Of course I want every player to enjoy every pack, but that is not going to happen. I understand how you feel and why but asking me not to buy a pack that I DO like simply because you don't like it is selfish and I don't think that's how you want to appear
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    Game changers never speak for me. I like the concept of the pack. My grandfather would teach at the planetarium are ever since Sixam came out always wanted a bigger space world to explore. I was disappointed with how small the Realm of Magic ones ended up being. I just wish vacation worlds would allow Sims to own vacation homes at them.

I didn't care for Katy Perry pack so for some this pack appears niche to them like Katy Perry seemed niche to me. Both have costumes but one thing Star Wars pack will have that the Katy Perry pack didn't is gameplay simply because it was a stuff pack that offered less for the same price. Oh it will have lots too. I do find it ironic it will be a pack with weapons in it when on forums weapons aren't allowed so no idea how pictures of the pack will be allowed when the pack comes out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Of course I want every player to enjoy every pack, but that is not going to happen. I understand how you feel and why but asking me not to buy a pack that I DO like simply because you don't like it is selfish and I don't think that's how you want to appear

@Dannydanbo Again you don't understand my replies. I never asked you to do anything or forced you not to buy a pack.
    I said that if you buy it make sure you understand what effects it has on the future of the franchise. I never said you shouldn't buy it because I don't like it. I said that if you buy a pack that's lacking in gameplay just for the build and buy then you support that idea and the Sims team will make more packs that lack gameplay in the future because their customers don't care.
    Means that people who care for gameplay will be indirectly hurt by your actions. Do what you want. Just know this fact.

@Dannydanbo Again you don't understand my replies. I never asked you to do anything or forced you not to buy a pack.
    I said that if you buy it make sure you understand what effects it has on the future of the franchise. I never said you shouldn't buy it because I don't like it. I said that if you buy a pack that's lacking in gameplay just for the build and buy then you support that idea and the Sims team will make more packs that lack gameplay in the future because their customers don't care.
    Means that people who care for gameplay will be indirectly hurt by your actions. Do what you want. Just know this fact.

Game play is important to me. But this game is used by many people as a building game. My wants are not more important than people who play a different way. You still come off as telling people to stop buying packs for the things they want, because it's not fair to other simmers. Builders, people who live in CAS, people playing the sims themselves, all should buy the packs that appeal to them. I'd be all for packs that are JUST CAS or JUST BB quite frankly.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    While I love Star Wars and will buy this pack in the future (probably on sale), I am disappointed that this pack would come out when folks are still asking for some major items.

Even the Sims team’s letter mentioned the items that many players want: hotels, cars, improved babies, farming, etc, and the team still does not understand why many simmers would be upset. 😕

With that letter, and with a pack like this before highly requested features like skin tones, farming, hotels, werewolves, etc, it feels like that the company is not listening to a big section of the audience.

And of course, that is quite upsetting.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)

It isn't lacking in gameplay though? It has more gameplay than StrangerVille with three story branches and side missions. I think what you mean is, it's lacking in the gameplay that you prefer. There's a big difference. And I'll just throw in that no one actually knows what the entirety of the gameplay includes (or doesn't) because there's still not enough info out there yet.

Threatening the "bigger picture" by tying it into your preferences is still not objective, nor is it factual. It's an attempt to manipulate other players to support or boycott in your favor over their own. Why would anyone do that? I've been fighting throughout the entirety of the Sims 4 to get more fantastical themes. I'm genuinely excited for this pack. I'm looking forward to playing through it. And I'm not sorry. I asked for more Star Wars. I fought to have more stimulating content than spas and laundry and baby fever. If others want those things and fight for them and win, good on them! And I really mean that. Putting that time and energy into making a difference is worth it. And if there's something we agree on to fight for together, I'll stand by you and do that.

Just don't expect me to put my own battles aside to go against something I like. Buying this pack tells them I want Star Wars in my game, and I do. I'm sorry you don't. I'm sorry you don't like the gameplay. Truly. But what if you did, would you actually support the pack just to support the gameplay even if you don't like Star Wars? Wouldn't that still send a message that Star Wars is a good direction for The Sims?

You are cherry picking too much to be objective. True objectivity weighs the pros and cons, steps outside of personal bias, and makes fair comparisons. You just don't seem to be doing that.
    #Team Occult
  • EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    I see it like Realm of Magic or Vampires. It's the exact same thing as what those packs are. People just arent making that connection since those sort of themes have been in the game before. I'm looking forward to the build items that will come with this. Having been to Galaxy's Edge in Orlando it looks very spot on with what's there. Had one of our best memories in Disney World there last year, first night and went there shortly before closing, managed to get to go on the Falcon ride, albeit with an 8 year old for our pilot.. but we had just enough time to sprint to Slinky Dog Coaster before the final minute finished and as we ran a Disney Cast Member was like "I don't know where you two are going but you're going to make it!" And we did with seconds to spare making the end of our first Disney World night unforgettable. :)
    edited September 2020

Game play is important to me. But this game is used by many people as a building game. My wants are not more important than people who play a different way. You still come off as telling people to stop buying packs for the things they want, because it's not fair to other simmers. Builders, people who live in CAS, people playing the sims themselves, all should buy the packs that appeal to them. I'd be all for packs that are JUST CAS or JUST BB quite frankly.

Yeah but these are GAME packs. They are supposed to deliver gameplay for people who like gameplay. We have stuff packs for people who like to build. Can we now have some gameplay for people who like to play? If not then turn the game into a building simulator cause this is what it is becoming. This used to be a life simulator you know.

It isn't lacking in gameplay though? It has more gameplay than StrangerVille with three story branches and side missions. I think what you mean is, it's lacking in the gameplay that you prefer. There's a big difference. And I'll just throw in that no one actually knows what the entirety of the gameplay includes (or doesn't) because there's still not enough info out there yet.

Also no. What gameplay does this pack include? I dare you to tell me. It has like three lots that you can enter, one of them being just a bar. Eating and dancing is stuff I could already do before this pack so just doing it in a different place is not gameplay to me. You cannot create new occults, it's all costumes so no gameplay there. The new "missions" are change outfit, go there, eat this, ask this person something, which comes with 0 new animations since all of those are already in the game. Now they are just calling them missions. Then the funniest thing you can;t even enter the shops since they are rabbit holes and nobody is tending them. Then the new stuff is like a lightsaber that has the same animations always, a lifeless little round thing to follow you around and very few interactable objects.
    Even if there is more in this pack this is already lacking so much that it's crazy. I'm probably also forgetting something. This is not just my opinion. These are facts. You can see that from the gameplay videos. Go check, I dare you it's all decoration.

Threatening the "bigger picture" by tying it into your preferences is still not objective, nor is it factual. It's an attempt to manipulate other players to support or boycott in your favor over their own. Why would anyone do that? I've been fighting throughout the entirety of the Sims 4 to get more fantastical themes. I'm genuinely excited for this pack. I'm looking forward to playing through it. And I'm not sorry. I asked for more Star Wars. I fought to have more stimulating content than spas and laundry and baby fever. If others want those things and fight for them and win, good on them! And I really mean that. Putting that time and energy into making a difference is worth it. And if there's something we agree on to fight for together, I'll stand by you and do that.

I will disagree with you on this one too because this is not what I meant. I love fantasy and sci fi in the sims and I will buy it. However, it seems to me that the team is always putting less and less effort in the gameplay which is the famous "less effort, more money" practice a lot of companies are following nowadays. You can tell by all the things they could have done better.
    Wouldn't you want SW aliens to be actual occults? Wouldn't you want to have more space in the world, more buildings to explore, no rabbitholes, more animations? What if your SW story involves living in Batuu and having your own house next to the Cantina. Can't do that can you? What about space explorations, since you know this is STAR WARS. Spaceships, galaxies, stars.

Do you think those things did cross the teams mind? They just thought why put so much effort when Simmers will buy anything anyway, let's just release a half baked DLC, we have done so in the past and people still bought it. This is why I am saying it's not great to buy everything that comes out and ignoring people's factual criticism and calling it "their opinion". They could have done much more with this pack but if we all go buy it and not complain they will be like "we got away with mediocrity again and made billions from it"
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    This pack is awful. Theres no if's and's or buts about it. 98 percent of the world is just fake. And theres no new lifestates or voices to match the new characters, just costumes. Oh and very little meaningful gameplay. Im not buying this. Nearly 0 effort went into this.

Im one of those people who think this year has nice content , other than this one. Mundane, yes. But not bad content, until now. This is trash.

First of all you think this pack is awful, not everyone shares that opinion.
    Secondly that line there makes me furious cause it shows how much respect you have for other people’s work and other people in general. That comment of yours was unfair and immature.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
    It is very very very dissapointing that the Sims Team would release a world made up of decor. I mean they always do that in the Sims 4 but this time it's faaaar too much.