Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I can understand why people are upset to an extent. The next pack being Star Wars is catering to a narrow faction of the fanbase, so it's inevitable that the majority won't be interested in it. Personally I don't think it's such a bad thing to make one pack for a minority of the fanbase, when most of the packs have catered to the majority but that's my opinion.

I haven't personally got the bugs and glitches that many have but just because they've brought this pack out doesn't mean they're not working on those bugs. I mod for Sims 3 and quite often, someone will have a problem with a mod that I can't replicate for the life of me - that's not to say the bug isn't there but if I can't replicate it, it makes it tough to fix. I imagine that's often the case with some of the bugs people experience - they're not being experienced by everybody and as such, I imagine *can* be hard to replicate. So that's always worth considering.

I don't necessarily feel the franchise is *ruined* because of one pack that caters to a minority instead of the majority but again, that's just my opinion. I know not everybody feels that but I'm going by the bulk of the comments on the Youtube trailer. Some may be a little dramatic but others are based out of people's passion for the game. I may not agree with their points but it doesn't make them invalid. Sometimes not expressed as well as they could be but when people are passionate about something, their words don't always come out as tactful as they maybe could.

So I feel that people definitely have the right to be disappointed because this pack isn't what they wanted it to be - it's not what I was hoping for either but I don't feel that it's worth being angry over. I'll just wait and see what comes next! :)<3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2020
    People are upset because it's everything we haven't been asking for. It's like they read the official polls they've been doing over the last 2 years (I'm not talking about that fansite poll) and decided to do the exact opposite of what was said, judging from the discussion in the forums art the time of the polls.

And IMO it's not a pack, its an advert for a theme park. I've never been interested in parks, but If I wanted to go to a Disney theme park I'd wait until after the pandemic. If I wanted to take my sims to a theme park (which could actually a cool idea, executed right), I'd want the full old school theme park experience with a wooden roller coaster, preferably sections I can customise, tunnel of love, bumper cars, sideshows , carnies candyfloss and corn dogs. And Id want it customisable.

And from English Simmer's and Plumbella's previews of it, they somehow managed to halfass even what they provided us.

EDIT: spelling, English Simmer, not James

Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    if they had already released the Sims 3 for 64 bit i’d feel a little better about the prospect of TS4 spiraling out of control lol.
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    if they had already released the Sims 3 for 64 bit i’d feel a little better about the prospect of TS4 spiraling out of control lol.

That's not a want. That's a lifetime wish for all of us :D
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Yes I am very upset but then you do have the option not to buy it and once they see how unpopular it is it will go on sale. Not that I would buy it anyways but I know that some people will. I have had enough of Star Wars Theme it came out in my time and I am over it. Really I have nothing against outer space but please come up with a different theme.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Basically, Game Packs were never meant to be for everyone. They're intended to offer gameplay to more niche and minority play styles so every player can have something that they enjoy. I don't think that, in itself, is a bad thing. Because as far as these themes go, Vampires, RoM, Jungle Adventure, StrangerVille, and, most likely, Star Wars, are some my favorite packs in the whole franchise. I just need that deeper gameplay structure to make them complete.

Very good point about game packs.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Rob_E_CoyoteRob_E_Coyote Posts: 51 Member
    Here's the way I see this pack.
    So, it's not for everyone? Well then, don't buy it.
    Remember back in Sims 3 when one of the packs was ... Katy Perry stuff???
    Some people loved it, some were meh, some couldn't stand the stuff.
    I was in the latter camp. That was a pack that definitely wasn't aimed at me. Everything brightly coloured fruit and candy stuff? Ugh, no thanks.
    Even my sickliest sweetest sims had no need for any of that gaudy, tacky stuff.
    So I didn't buy it. Ended up being the one pack I didn't buy. My packrat completionist tendencies tingle like mad whenever I look at TS3 now, but hey, you can't like everything.
    Don't want a Star Wars Theme Park in your Sims 4 game? Don't buy it. Personally, I consider it karmic payback for Katy Perry :D
  • simslover1145simslover1145 Posts: 304 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Spouse and I are both nuts with eagerness over it, dunno /can't imagine why people are complaining. Seems to me the most awesome thing since Vampires.

And as with vampires, the big question I have for those who hate the idea is: if you hate it, don't buy it! It's not complicated. Don't want Star Wars characters in your game, breaking your immersion? Skip that pack!

Please consider the following:

You're a huge Star Wars fan, right? (Or a fan of whatever franchise that you really love.) You're eagerly awaiting the next installment. It's been years since they released anything that you really enjoyed. Yet, you're still waiting to see the return of what made you fall in love with the series in the first place.

The trailer finally drops and you realize that the next entry in your beloved franchise is all about... The Sims. That includes Nancy Landgraab, Bob and Eliza Pancakes, and the entire Spencer-Kim-Lewis clan. Also, talking toilets, and scene after scene of U.S. suburbia.

You had high hopes for the next installment of your beloved franchise and even higher expectations. Yet, nothing in the new release resembles what you knew that franchise to be.

What would be your response be after your years-long wait?

1. "Meh, This isn't what I was expecting but I'll roll with it."

2. "I love the Sims, this is exactly what I was waiting to see in the Star Wars (or other) franchise!!"

3. "I love the Sims, but what the heck is this 🌺🌺🌺🌺? This isn't So-and-So. If I wanted the Sims, I wouldn't have gone and played the Sims!!!"

The answer is very subjective. Yet, I have a feeling that if the Sims had taken over the next installment to the Star Wars universe, most of the fandom would have lost their ish. Others might have been in shock, believing that the new installment is ridiculous, disruptive, and destructive to the series. A few might have been okay with it, but I'm pretty sure the majority would have been seething with anger and/or disappointment.

If you can picture that scenario, you might be able to understand exactly what's been happening in the Sims community this week.

I totally get that, I do. Star Wars is indeed very specific and most definitely a prominent brand that seems a strange pairing to make.

But I still think that what players need to realize is that Sims 4 is also very experimental (in addition to being a life simulator), and the Game Packs specifically cater to that. I've learned in my Sims 4 journey to anticipate GPs more than any other pack type because those are the ones that actually contain the content that I favor, while EPs cover the standard themes and the more universal gameplay, as per usual. GPs are the "niche" content, kind of like what the Sims 3 store had, and includes the kind of gameplay that suits particular preferences and can be skipped if needed.

Meanwhile, things that add to the base game or fix some of the core issues like skin tones or babies or new emotions, etc. would be covered in the free patches. So none of those things should have been anticipated to be in a GP anyway.

I think that some of us older iteration players just have a hard time with change sometimes. I'm not saying I love all of the decisions made in TS4, because I certainly don't, and I really want, more than anything, for more base game patches and fixes and deeper content to fully flesh out the actual Sims. But when I say "change", I'm referring more to the pack structures and themes and newer ideas.

Basically, Game Packs were never meant to be for everyone. They're intended to offer gameplay to more niche and minority play styles so every player can have something that they enjoy. I don't think that, in itself, is a bad thing. Because as far as these themes go, Vampires, RoM, Jungle Adventure, StrangerVille, and, most likely, Star Wars, are some my favorite packs in the whole franchise. I just need that deeper gameplay structure to make them complete.

Everything you said here is absolutely accurate, however, people are more disappointed because this theme was prioritized over all the other “niche” themes that players have been requesting - werewolves, fairies, hotels, winter vacation and many more specific themes that could have been added to the game instead of SW.
    I am aware that they are working on multiple projects and that some of these things will eventually be added, but this pack came out at the wrong time and left many players feeling like their ideas and feedback are irrelevant.

Starry-Night-Over-The-Rhone.jpg?ts=1459229076
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    As pointed out above the reason why the malcontent rumble is so strong this time is because it is the exact opposite of what all the polls and requests has been about.

If this had come out earlier people would have been calmer about it, but this is so very very on the nose: Either they do not listen, or they listen and disregard. Either is bad.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Spouse and I are both nuts with eagerness over it, dunno /can't imagine why people are complaining. Seems to me the most awesome thing since Vampires.

And as with vampires, the big question I have for those who hate the idea is: if you hate it, don't buy it! It's not complicated. Don't want Star Wars characters in your game, breaking your immersion? Skip that pack!

Please consider the following:

You're a huge Star Wars fan, right? (Or a fan of whatever franchise that you really love.) You're eagerly awaiting the next installment. It's been years since they released anything that you really enjoyed. Yet, you're still waiting to see the return of what made you fall in love with the series in the first place.

The trailer finally drops and you realize that the next entry in your beloved franchise is all about... The Sims. That includes Nancy Landgraab, Bob and Eliza Pancakes, and the entire Spencer-Kim-Lewis clan. Also, talking toilets, and scene after scene of U.S. suburbia.

You had high hopes for the next installment of your beloved franchise and even higher expectations. Yet, nothing in the new release resembles what you knew that franchise to be.

What would be your response be after your years-long wait?

1. "Meh, This isn't what I was expecting but I'll roll with it."

2. "I love the Sims, this is exactly what I was waiting to see in the Star Wars (or other) franchise!!"

3. "I love the Sims, but what the heck is this 🌺🌺🌺🌺? This isn't So-and-So. If I wanted the Sims, I wouldn't have gone and played the Sims!!!"

The answer is very subjective. Yet, I have a feeling that if the Sims had taken over the next installment to the Star Wars universe, most of the fandom would have lost their ish. Others might have been in shock, believing that the new installment is ridiculous, disruptive, and destructive to the series. A few might have been okay with it, but I'm pretty sure the majority would have been seething with anger and/or disappointment.

If you can picture that scenario, you might be able to understand exactly what's been happening in the Sims community this week.

I totally get that, I do. Star Wars is indeed very specific and most definitely a prominent brand that seems a strange pairing to make.

But I still think that what players need to realize is that Sims 4 is also very experimental (in addition to being a life simulator), and the Game Packs specifically cater to that. I've learned in my Sims 4 journey to anticipate GPs more than any other pack type because those are the ones that actually contain the content that I favor, while EPs cover the standard themes and the more universal gameplay, as per usual. GPs are the "niche" content, kind of like what the Sims 3 store had, and includes the kind of gameplay that suits particular preferences and can be skipped if needed.

Meanwhile, things that add to the base game or fix some of the core issues like skin tones or babies or new emotions, etc. would be covered in the free patches. So none of those things should have been anticipated to be in a GP anyway.

I think that some of us older iteration players just have a hard time with change sometimes. I'm not saying I love all of the decisions made in TS4, because I certainly don't, and I really want, more than anything, for more base game patches and fixes and deeper content to fully flesh out the actual Sims. But when I say "change", I'm referring more to the pack structures and themes and newer ideas.

Everything you said here is absolutely accurate, however, people are more disappointed because this theme was prioritized over all the other “niche” themes that players have been requesting - werewolves, fairies, hotels, winter vacation and many more specific themes that could have been added to the game instead of SW.
    I am aware that they are working on multiple projects and that some of these things will eventually be added, but this pack came out at the wrong time and left many players feeling like their ideas and feedback are irrelevant.

That's very true. I can say I honestly thought that Fairies or Imaginary Friends would be next because of the official Twitter poll about Occults. I looked forward to one while the other, not so much. But at least I was expecting it.

The last thing I expected was Star Wars, despite the bits of content patches and the few of us who have been requesting it. Even after the icon leak, I really thought it would be a Star Wars inspired pack. But I'm one of the few who is lucky enough to be excited for it.

So I do understand the surprise (and some of the horror, lol). I wish others could see the fun that I see in it, but they don't, and that's okay. We have different play styles.

#Team Occult
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    It's not even well executed and has crazy limitations. Honestly I don't get how this will be worth anyone's money.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    My sister and I were very excited about SW pack but we have both been struggling with bugs since the patch dropped. I am now seriously considering holding off on buying this pack for just that reason. I love the window stacking ability that came with the patch but they fixed next to nothing and I just don't think I want to intro new bugs when I'm having problems with the current ones. :(
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    It's not even well executed and has crazy limitations. Honestly I don't get how this will be worth anyone's money.

If you read a bit of some of the enthusiast threads, you'll get more of an understanding. :)
    #Team Occult

If you read a bit of some of the enthusiast threads, you'll get more of an understanding. :)

@LiELF I know what the pack is and the limitations it has so even though some people are excited it doesn't change the fact that the limitations still exist and are a lot.

@LiELF I know what the pack is and the limitations it has so even though some people are excited it doesn't change the fact that the limitations still exist and are a lot.

Sure, but you were saying you "didn't get how this will be worth anyone's money". "Anyone" being anyone, yes? Well there are indeed people on the forums who have been discussing exactly how this is worth their money. I was just pointing you in that direction if you really wanted to know, because there have been some people who have decided that there are indeed redeeming qualities in this pack, and have come to join our discussions.

If you don't care and truly have no interest, I understand. Each to their own.
    #Team Occult

Sure, but you were saying you "didn't get how this will be worth anyone's money". "Anyone" being anyone, yes? Well there are indeed people on the forums who have been discussing exactly how this is worth their money. I was just pointing you in that direction if you really wanted to know, because there have been some people who have decided that there are indeed redeeming qualities in this pack, and have come to join our discussions.

@LiELF Yeah it's no biggie I just still don't understand how people will buy something for 20§ with 3 interactable lots. I just don't think it's really a thing of personal prefrence anymore. For me even when I love a certain aspect of a pack I still won't buy it if I feel like the rest of it is lazy. Having a personal interest in something doesn't mean I will just ignore all the laziness and cash-grabbing.
    Maybe that's just me i don't know. I just don't think supporting a pack like this will give EA the appropriate message.
  • TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    If one single person loves this pack, then I'm glad for them.

Gosh simmers are terrible at business. You don't make content for a single person to be happy. You don't make content for a small fraction to be happy. A good company makes products people *want* and listen to their needs. Does your car have an 8track in it? No. Because car companies hold focus groups and listen to customers. Does Pretty Woman have a happy ending? Yes because test audiences didn't like the original ending and the studio listened. How many medical necessities like birth control or PREP have undergone changes based on consumer reactions? So many.

Sorry but this whole defense going around that customers don't deserve a voice is stifling, ignorant 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    Simming for twenty years...
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    I get that and I'm still going to give my feedback and say how I think it could have been better, but I'm very likely still gonna get many hours of entretainment, at the very least, building with it. And I'm sorry if people think I should punish EA for only giving us quality build mode, it annoys me too, but to me this is just a game and my only intention is to have fun with it. If it were something life or death, I'd join a boycott or take more drastric measures, but to me it's enough to continue to critique while enjoying the bits I do like for as long as I deem them worthy. And that's obviously a personal assessment that will vary from one consumer to another. There are people that jumped ship several packs ago, even after there have been packs I've had a decent amount of fun with. Or at least an amount of fun that was worth it for me.

@LiELF Yeah it's no biggie I just still don't understand how people will buy something for 20§ with 3 interactable lots. I just don't think it's really a thing of personal prefrence anymore. For me even when I love a certain aspect of a pack I still won't buy it if I feel like the rest of it is lazy. Having a personal interest in something doesn't mean I will just ignore all the laziness and cash-grabbing.
    Maybe that's just me i don't know. I just don't think supporting a pack like this will give EA the appropriate message.

I think I understand. I felt that way with Eco Lifestyle. I just couldn't grasp why it was made into an entire EP and thought it was boring, it was too preachy, blah, blah. Even though the build/buy is great and the CAS is shabbier and different, I didn't get it.

For the SW pack, I think there's definitely some merit to saying that the gameplay doesn't look that exciting in itself, particularly if you don't like goals or quests in the Sims. And the world only has three lots that will require a cheat to build, and it's very heavy on the backdrops so you're kind of stuck with a sci-fi-ish theme. If you combine these things with players who aren't even that interested in Star Wars or sci-fi or aren't into fantastical play at all, it won't have any appeal. Fair enough. The pack, like most others, has its limits.

If you like goals and quests however, or just Star Wars or space themes in general or even StrangerVille, this pack seems to have a better, more flexible storyline than StrangerVille, with three story outcomes instead of one, and a more immersive world by reducing load screens from when you have too many separate lots, by making each neighborhood more uniform and part of the immersive whole. I've even seen a few people saying they are going to treat it as exactly what it represents; an immersive, amusement theme park for geeks. :D

The build/buy is HUGE for a GP, especially when you go into debug. Players who mainly enjoy building are going to have a blast with this, and I have a feeling that they will be the first ones to do a turnaround. The styles go way beyond Star Wars and into things like Apocalyptic, Cultist, some jungle pieces, run-down, industrial, Steampunk, general sci-fi... I think there are going to be some epic builds on the Gallery from this. (At least, to my own tastes.)

And the CAS has a lot. Only about four or five hair styles, most of which also carry on to kids and one for toddlers, but the clothing is abundant in both male and female, with a few child and toddler outfits. Some pieces can be used for everyday wear, but others have a lot of creative capacity for those who, again, enjoy fantastical styles like Apocalypse, Steampunk, desert culture, cultists and spiritualists, Aliens, Elven, pilots... so stylist players will have a great new selection.

In the end, I think of it like this: Many people bought Vampires just for the clothing and build/buy and felt it was worth it. This pack is the same exact cost, but has even more of those things than Vampires had. And while many of the styles are pretty distinctive, I think that once the screenshots and let's plays and ideas come out, there will be more curiosity because the pack was designed in a way to be much less invasive than Vampires was, and people will start getting inspired.

And those who are happy to skip it altogether have an EP coming up to speculate about. :)
    #Team Occult
    edited September 2020
    @j1z1 What you do with your money is your business for sure. However as a consumer and grown adult it is important to realize that what you do with your money has an influence on a lot of things. We should always see the bigger picture.
    The gaming industry is going through a crisis right now with the cash grabbing, less content, more loot boxes, more money less effort appeal.
    Those practices do not stop (even though there have been actual lawsuits with some of them) because people still buy products while ignoring the things I mentioned.
    The Sims might not be a life or death deal to you but it's important to realize that with your actions of buying let's say for example a whole Gamepack for just the build and buy you are contributing to the issue and making a rich person even richer with that person putting in less effort every day.

I've removed the last part of this post as it's not an appropriate comment to make towards another forum user. ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    edited September 2020
    Well, that's why I'll continue to dole out the feedback, but if I'm still getting something out of it, then it's not a futile purchase. If it's any consolation, I don't buy any other games, so I'm definitely not throwing money at the gaming industry as a whole lol. I'm kind of unfamiliar with it, but I have heard about some of its general issues and it sucks. If I were a gamer, I'd probably get more involved, but as it is, I can't say it makes me morally uncomfortable to buy this pack. Then I would have to feel the same about everyone who bought EL.
    edited September 2020
    j1z1 wrote: »
    Well, that's why I'll continue to dole out the feedback, but if I'm still getting something out of it, then it's not a futile purchase.

@j1z1 It's still is affecting the Sims negatively so if you see that and don't mind sure, but don't expect people to be in love with the idea of buying a pack for build and buy when you tell them that. I hope you see where this affects all of us.
    It's not solely about justifying your purchase to yourself.
    I don't intend to make anyone love the idea of it, I was merely hoping to provide some perspective as to why some might still want to get it, unless your question was rhetorical, in which case then ignore me lol
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the next pack will be My Little Pony GP coming next on April 4 2021. ;) EA/Maxis had changed the formula for the Sims series and sooner or later you can only go so far with this version. This pack and matter of fact most of the packs are gimped as not to hinder performance even if you have an Intel Generation 10 i7, 3090 RTX 32 Gb which means your system will be underused and you will have less bells and whistles.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen