Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Star Trek. Thank you Lucy.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    There always remains the possibility that Star Wars was, indeed, requested by more people than we realize. And while I do strongly think that EA had something to do with it in their quest for absorbing current trends, especially the multi-billion dollar ones, I can't help but wonder what the results of last year's survey were.

I don't know if people remember, but there was a survey some time last year that asked what "brands" you'd like to see in the game. I remember the survey being discussed on Twitter and Disney seemed to be a common answer. I think (but can't remember for sure) that I put it in as an answer myself because of Star Wars, Aliens, Marvel and the like. Disney holds the reigns to everything these days, so I wouldn't be shocked to discover that millions of people actually did put Star Wars/general Disney as an answer.

I mean, we found out earlier this year that there were a lot more Vampires (6.9 Million) made in TS4 than toddlers (173 Thousand) total. A lot. And everyone assumed family play was popular when the player base went up by 33 percent the year both toddlers and Vampires were released. Turns out, it probably wasn't the arrival of toddlers at all, it may have actually been the Vampires.

Remember when the Knitting pack was first voted on last year? Arts and Crafts won by a very close margin with Happy Haunts right behind it. This says that the main player base may be changing.

Maybe because Sims 4 has such bland and different core base gameplay compared to its predecessors, more players want packs that contain more action or adventure or eccentricity. It might be the thing that holds the game together. But then, Sims 3 started getting into the realm of the unusual and experimental too. Perhaps the interest has been there all along.

It's a thought.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Maybe because Sims 4 has such bland and different core base gameplay compared to its predecessors, more players want packs that contain more action or adventure or eccentricity. It might be the thing that holds the game together. But then, Sims 3 started getting into the realm of the unusual and experimental too. Perhaps the interest has been there all along.

I'm only quoting this part because it's the only part I really needed to comment on, the Sims has always been weird and had a large supernatural fan base. During the run of the Sims 2, magic was very much a heavily requested feature, and the game since The Sims 1 has had experimental premises for packs. Everyone always talks about how the game is meant to be a realistic life simulator while ignoring the fact robots, zombies, aliens, witches, voodoo and the Grim reaper are long-running staples in the series. It's not the Sims 4 being boring (that's a completely different conversation) it's that part of what makes The Sims, The Sims, is the eccentricity and fantasy aspect.

And also it makes sense to me more vampires were created, Vampires are way more interesting to play with than toddlers and that opinion hasn't changed since both were introduced in the Sims 2...
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

It's a thought.

I'm not so sure about that. My thought is the the Sims 4 has such bland and different core base gameplay that more players want that core base improved before releasing new ideas. I don't feel as though the primary uproar is due to the unusual idea of this pack. I think it's because the core base gameplay needs a lot of polishing first, and players who are voicing their complaints are tired of their desire for better base gameplay being tossed aside for new pet projects. I personally would be much more interested in the Star Wars pack if core improvements were made. I don't hate the idea of a Star Wars pack, I'm just frustrated with the state of the overall game and feeling taken for granted. If Paralives ends up being a solid competitor, I'll likely just move on.

• Options

I'm only quoting this part because it's the only part I really needed to comment on, the Sims has always been weird and had a large supernatural fan base. During the run of the Sims 2, magic was very much a heavily requested feature, and the game since The Sims 1 has had experimental premises for packs. Everyone always talks about how the game is meant to be a realistic life simulator while ignoring the fact robots, zombies, aliens, witches, voodoo and the Grim reaper are long-running staples in the series. It's not the Sims 4 being boring (that's a completely different conversation) it's that part of what makes The Sims, The Sims, is the eccentricity and fantasy aspect.

And also it makes sense to me more vampires were created, Vampires are way more interesting to play with than toddlers and that opinion hasn't changed since both were introduced in the Sims 2...

I remember when TS4 was still young and one of the devs or producers or someone had tried to claim that Occults were never a staple of the franchise. Then the Occult players started making lots of threads, mostly requesting Vampires, and after the first two years of the game, the Vampires pack finally came. Thank goodness it did, but it took a while for us to get more. Last year's escalation had me hoping TS4 would be steering more in that direction. But until now, things seemed to get domestic again.

It's quite a roller coaster, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited September 2020

I remember when TS4 was still young and one of the devs or producers or someone had tried to claim that Occults were never a staple of the franchise. Then the Occult players started making lots of threads, mostly requesting Vampires, and after the first two years of the game, the Vampires pack finally came. Thank goodness it did, but it took a while for us to get more. Last year's escalation had me hoping TS4 would be steering more in that direction. But until now, things seemed to get domestic again.

It's quite a roller coaster, lol.

Yeah, it's so strange to me when people claim occult players are a small minority when every poll I've seen has been close to an even split. I actually waited to buy the Sims 4 until after they released Vampires. I really liked all the occult packs we got so far but am still waiting on werewolves and fairies to be added. Before this pack was confirmed I know a lot of people were speculating a general sci-fi themed pack which would have been awesome as well. I think the only reason that the Star Wars pack is getting more than the usual amount of backlash is because it is a story pack based on a specific brand. It's great for Star Wars fans but not so much for everyone else. Who knows it might end up being fun but I am not really into Star Wars enough to buy it...
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I mean, we found out earlier this year that there were a lot more Vampires (6.9 Million) made in TS4 than toddlers (173 Thousand) total. A lot. And everyone assumed family play was popular when the player base went up by 33 percent the year both toddlers and Vampires were released. Turns out, it probably wasn't the arrival of toddlers at all, it may have actually been the Vampires.

Given the current backlash, I doubt that more people than we realized requested Star Wars, but it is technically possible.

Also, I think that we should be careful about how we interpret these stats. What does it mean for a Sim to be made? I play with toddlers all of the time, but I have never made one in CAS. I have made a vampire, though. My toddlers are born as babies and grow into toddlers as the game progresses.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I can't speak for everyone, however, for me at least, is that this feels like Disney, via EA, is trying to force Galaxy's Edge down not only mine, but people's throat. Also considering (from this trailer alone) it is advertising only Disney Era StarWars and the world is called Batuu which is the same name as the land at Disney. It just comes across as a cheap cash grab. If this had just been a generic sci-fi pack with StarWars/StarTrek/Firefly/Battlestar/BTTF etc references, I don't think people would be as disappointed or complaining as much as they currently are.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I can't speak for everyone, however, for me at least, is that this feels like Disney, via EA, is trying to force Galaxy's Edge down not only mine, but people's throat. Also considering (from this trailer alone) it is advertising only Disney Era StarWars and the world is called Batuu which is the same name as the land at Disney. It just comes across as a cheap cash grab. If this had just been a generic sci-fi pack with StarWars/StarTrek/Firefly/Battlestar/BTTF etc references, I don't think people would be as disappointed or complaining as much as they currently are.

Hmm...

You know what, I didn't know that Galaxy's Edge existed before it was announced as a Game Pack. I know that there is Disney land and all kinds of stuff on the other continent but I am not actively trying to scout out stuff in other places. Partly because my family has already visited a few times and we want to see other places. I am not likely at all, to ever spend the time or money to make an international trip over there but for the price of dinner out I can run around a bit for fun :)

I really enjoy Star Wars things and I loved Star Trek Voyager. If there were to make a Star Trek I could see myself getting that one too. For my part I like to balance the ordinary stuff with some occult stuff on the side.
  • Options
    haneul wrote: »

Given the current backlash, I doubt that more people than we realized requested Star Wars, but it is technically possible.

Also, I think that we should be careful about how we interpret these stats. What does it mean for a Sim to be made? I play with toddlers all of the time, but I have never made one in CAS. I have made a vampire, though. My toddlers are born as babies and grow into toddlers as the game progresses.

That's a good point. There's probably a lot more toddlers born in game than created. I know I've created about five and had maybe six born in my game? So the total should be twice that number, probably more.

But now that makes me wonder how many Vampires are "created" in game and not CAS? I wish we could see the real stats.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    haneul wrote: »

That's a good point. There's probably a lot more toddlers born in game than created. I know I've created about five and had maybe six born in my game? So the total should be twice that number, probably more.

But now that makes me wonder how many Vampires are "created" in game and not CAS? I wish we could see the real stats.

I too wondered if most people's toddlers are simply born in game when i saw the stats. But then.. most of my vampires are either born in game, or turn into one in game. So it's swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think it's a fun idea. Have people never heard of a crossover before? I like the idea of having something a bit out there to play with, and those who don't like it can simply not buy it. Simple! Everyone's happy.

People have a tendency to be overdramatic and make hundreds of threads complaining when something isn't for them. They'll soon move on and realise they can just not buy it if it's not for them. I'm hoping they'll fix some of the other things players want aswell in a later pack and patches so everyone can enjoy the game and get what they want, I can see why people may be disappointed but can we not do it at the expense of other peoples enjoyment?

People seem to have a few thought processes about content they don't like

1: I hate it and Sims Devs should be fired for this BS and EA is pure evil

2: I hate it and I hate sims for making it but I have to buy it but I hate you (which is the definition of addiction to me...)

3: I just want realism and if realism is not in a pack then Sims not catering to the fanbase.

And then there is me I hate it because it’s just an advertisement for a struggling Them park I mean they are using a location that’s not even in the movies yes it look a bit Tatooen but it’s not. The other problem is it’s Star Wars and that (ruined) franchise does not work within the tone of The Sims4. looking at the assets in the trailer there mostly just Reskins of other Pack assets it’s just a cash grab pure and simple for gullible people. Don’t be fooled yes it has Star Wars in the title but the gameplay will be nothing new.

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    For me personally the pack isn't what I wanted at all, I wanted world adventures, winter retreat and occults. I am disappointed that they released this rather than the packs I wanted but it is what it is. I'm not mad. I'm still ok with the pack, it's not what I wanted at all but the theme is interesting enough to make me want to give it a chance
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited September 2020
    If it released as a standalone game akin to The Sims Medieval as Sims 3 ish standalone, I don't think it would receive this much hates.

Last time i was so hyped watching the sims trailers were only when they introduced vampires and seasons.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    doogerie wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think it's a fun idea. Have people never heard of a crossover before? I like the idea of having something a bit out there to play with, and those who don't like it can simply not buy it. Simple! Everyone's happy.

People have a tendency to be overdramatic and make hundreds of threads complaining when something isn't for them. They'll soon move on and realise they can just not buy it if it's not for them. I'm hoping they'll fix some of the other things players want aswell in a later pack and patches so everyone can enjoy the game and get what they want, I can see why people may be disappointed but can we not do it at the expense of other peoples enjoyment?

People seem to have a few thought processes about content they don't like

1: I hate it and Sims Devs should be fired for this BS and EA is pure evil

2: I hate it and I hate sims for making it but I have to buy it but I hate you (which is the definition of addiction to me...)

3: I just want realism and if realism is not in a pack then Sims not catering to the fanbase.

And then there is me I hate it because it’s just an advertisement for a struggling Them park I mean they are using a location that’s not even in the movies yes it look a bit Tatooen but it’s not. The other problem is it’s Star Wars and that (ruined) franchise does not work within the tone of The Sims4. looking at the assets in the trailer there mostly just Reskins of other Pack assets it’s just a cash grab pure and simple for gullible people. Don’t be fooled yes it has Star Wars in the title but the gameplay will be nothing new.

Same, I'm not fooled either. Sure it's StarWars, but it's Disney's StarWars. They're just trying to push a product through a different IP and not hiding it, I wish I could say I'm surprised, but it's EA, nothing about this company surprises me anymore.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Exactly !! They want to advertise Galaxy’s Edge. But maybe people would like it better if it had the original Star Wars characters and locations.

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Lol the part about the community voting the worst packs though.. 🤣🤣😇
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    To me, may as well ask what do pizza and shoes have in common? Same thing as Star Wars and The sims, absolutely nothing. That's why people may be negative about it. The two just don't go together.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited September 2020
    Three things...First...I haven't read any of what came before so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that's already been said.

Second, once I wrapped my mind around what they were actually doing here I couldn't help but grin at how meta the concept is.
    Yeah it' a blatant advertisement, but one that appears to be very cleverly done.

Thirdly I've been poking around a few threads on this topic and no one (that I can find anyway) is talking about LucasFilm involvement in this.
    Wouldn't that at least mean that this project potentially had more resources allotted to it than usual? Bigger budget, perhaps some form of collaboration? (I'm thinking when you get on the Falcon there's gonna be a LucasFilm surprise in the form of a cutscene)

It's a Star wars based theme park. The Aliens have masks because they are "actors" the Millenium falcon is a "ride"...totally get it.
    It's very clever.
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited September 2020
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Three things...First...I haven't read any of what came before so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that's already been said.

Second, once I wrapped my mind around what they were actually doing here I couldn't help but grin at how meta the concept is.
    Yeah it' a blatant advertisement, but one that appears to be very cleverly done.

Thirdly I've been poking around a few threads on this topic and no one (that I can find anyway) is talking about LucasFilm involvement in this.
    Wouldn't that at least mean that this project potentially had more resources allotted to it than usual? Bigger budget, perhaps some form of collaboration? (I'm thinking when you get on the Falcon there's gonna be a LucasFilm surprise in the form of a cutscene)

It's a Star wars based theme park. The Aliens have masks because they are "actors" the Millenium falcon is a "ride"...totally get it.
    It's very clever.

Wouldn't it have been nice if that budget you mentioned had been used on better personalities for our sims, real babies, or better skin tones? We basically have a pack that barely anyone wanted, but for some reason it has the biggest budget. Don't you think that's a bit strange, albeit ridiculous?

And I'm not sure how "clever" it really is. The pack has received near universal dislike from the community, and this dislike has also been reported on by notable magazines like PCGamer, ScreenRant and GamerRant. There have been countless videos saying how much people dislike this pack.

What must Disney think about all this hoopla? Do you think their thrilled that their precious Star Wars is being dragged through the mud? Do you really think Disney is happy with the way EA handled this?
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited September 2020
    bixters wrote: »

It's very clever.

Wouldn't it have been nice if that budget you mentioned had been used on better personalities for our sims, real babies, or better skin tones? We basically have a pack that barely anyone wanted, but for some reason it has the biggest budget. Don't you think that's a bit strange, albeit ridiculous?

And I'm not sure how "clever" it really is. The pack has received near universal dislike from the community, and this dislike has also been reported on by notable magazines like PCGamer, ScreenRant and GamerRant. There have been countless videos saying how much people dislike this pack.

What must Disney think about all this hoopla? Do you think their thrilled that their precious Star Wars is being dragged through the mud? Do you really think Disney is happy with the way EA handled this?

You state these things like I have some kind of obligation to see things your way. Apparently you don't know me very well. B)

I have no idea if this game has a bigger budget. That was merely speculation based on the fact that I saw a joint marketing spot on it.
    I have no idea if there was any special effort other than the branding at all.
    The game will always have bugs as long as they are writing on top of legacy code, especially the older it gets.
    If you want them to stop and make everything perfect before releasing new content expect to be waiting a couple years between releases.

Lastly you do realize that Batuu is the Disney Galazy EdgeTheme park right down to the layout no?
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    The sims team knew we didn't want the pack. It was a money move..and that will always trump want the community wants. They don't care, their just betting on us buying it regardless.
  • Options
    Jerrello wrote: »
    The sims team knew we didn't want the pack. It was a money move..and that will always trump want the community wants. They don't care, their just betting on us buying it regardless.

I think it was just as much a passion project. There are many on the dev team who are Star Wars fans.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    bixters wrote: »

It's very clever.

If MVCU is any indication, they probably don't really care. The Mouse already has its money, what happens from this point on is of little consequence to them. That's been their MO thus far.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Jerrello wrote: »

I think it was just as much a passion project. There are many on the dev team who are Star Wars fans.

I think so too. The devs seems pretty excited. I think that's a good thing -- I like it when people work on things that they think are cool.