Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    There is hate every time a pack is released, not just this one, it is a common trend in this fandom. I don't hate this pack or the people that want it, I just don't like it myself, and I won't be buying it. I am disappointed yes, because anyone who is excited for a new pack hopes it is something they will like. I will just wait for the next pack and hope for the best.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hmm...

I remember when the masses where howling for "Seasons", also the howls for "University". If occult or different material would have to wait until all the realism-players had the content they felt that they needed it would never be added to the game at all. Because the goalposts will always be moving to a new interesting realistic thing that could be added to the game.

I play familyplay. I have kiddos going through school and Uni. That doesn't mean that I do not light up, feel happy, when there is something completely different added.

EP's are realistic, GP's can sometimes be different, this time it just happened to be something that is fun for me.
  • SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    I think it's just because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially when you look at the feedback of the game over the last 6 years. Bunk beds, more gameplay for elder sims, work to be done with babies, cars, an open world and so on - although I think it's important to remember that game mechanics restrict some of these and likely make them nearing unlikely/impossible. I'm just not sure this pack really matches up with the feedback given to EA over the years. One look at the comments on the social channels and you'll just see a whole load of "but why" and "nobody asked for this". And, I have to agree with others that I'm also not super excited for this one. However, I do feel sorry for those who put the work in on this pack, can't be nice doing the work and it being met with this sort of response.

I guess it's also essentially a £20 Disney advertisement which, I assume, a number of people may not agree with.

I've seen a few people comparing the response to My First Pet Stuff, but I would say that MFPS is a little different to this, that really was a hot mess of re-swatched items.. although I must admit I did buy it. (Maybe that's the problem...)

That said, I'll be waiting until there's a little more information out there on it before I decide if I'm definitely staying away from it, I've never seen Star Wars so it's unlikely to be my cup of tea, but I can definitely understand it could be a pretty exciting pack if you enjoy the franchise or the idea of a Star Wars pack, it does look to have some pretty cool concepts in there.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    To be honest I don't see why people can't just say they don't like it and won't buy it and move on. It's a shame how much negativity there still is going on. People seem to be obsessed with branding it as a sellout, the ruining of the sims, disliking the video about it, fighting and ganging up on anyone who actually likes it. It's just too much. It's a game pack, don't buy it if you don't want it. There'll be others.

The sims community is just becoming really unpleasant with every pack release now and it just seems to get worse with each one, I thought eco was bad but this is another level.

Just in the past year it's become awful. People are obsessed with complaining. Then when they get the things they want they find something else to complain about.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    To be honest I don't see why people can't just say they don't like it and won't buy it and move on. It's a shame how much negativity there still is going on. People seem to be obsessed with branding it as a sellout, the ruining of the sims, disliking the video about it, fighting and ganging up on anyone who actually likes it. It's just too much. It's a game pack, don't buy it if you don't want it. There'll be others.

The sims community is just becoming really unpleasant with every pack release now and it just seems to get worse with each one, I thought eco was bad but this is another level.

Just in the past year it's become awful. People are obsessed with complaining. Then when they get the things they want they find something else to complain about.

Everyone Is screaming for a sims 5 but what's the point of the devs engaging with the community for the next part if they are going to be like this? It's only going to be worse if anything.
    And I'm not talking about people here but all over social media.
    If I was a Dev I would be extremely turned off.

I think people forget that this is a game at the end of the day. And it's their game. Just like when you pick up ffxi from the stores it's up to you if you want to purchase a game they made their way be cause it's "their game"

The sims is not build a bear. But they have always been generous in going along with the community with many things. But they are not obligated. Even the surveys are not 100% what we are going to get. Now how they decide what we get, when and what to use from the survey or why only they know.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    The Star Wars world is jarringly different from the normal sims worlds, to the point that any crossover would feel massively out of place. There are expansions I haven't bought because they weren't worth the money to me before, but the specificity and genre clash of Star Wars IP makes this the first pack I wouldn't want even if it were free.

I'm not going to call the simgurus lazy. The pack looks like it did involve a decent amount of work, and it will probably be fun to explore the faction missions at least a few times through. Nor am I going to complain about issues fundamental to the engine and/or with tradeoffs that people always overlook. We all know that if babies were freed but sims were still dumb enough to drop them on the ground every time the sim had an OCD urge to do something else, people would still be complaining just as loudly. I will say that a pack that's so tonally different from the base sims experience that I don't expect to see it used outside its specific context (how often do you see the existing Star Wars costumes used outside of geekcon?) is not one I expect to make long term use of.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    My dislike for it is two-fold, and this is because I like The Sims, and I like Star Wars. Mixing these two is a disservice to both! It won't have any deep Star Wars feeling, you won't live in the Star Wars Universe. It also contaminates the The Sims core universe itself at the same time. It's just a lose-lose for me.

I would love a Star Wars Sims though, but make it stand-alone. Let it have many planets, ships, Star Wars life. I'd buy that, but there's no way I would ruin both these experiences by trying to mix them into one game when it just doesn't fit or offer the type of gameplay you'd want from it.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I usually don’t complain when a pack is not to my personal taste or fits my play style. I would not have been thrilled by a space, alien, or futuristic pack. But I would not have said anything. Those are broad themes. That while I don’t like I believe fit into the Sims universe. They have replay value. Even Strangervile came with a world and a career that can be used outside of the quest. But this pack feels limiting and like an ad for Star Wars. I like Star Wars but a whole pack dedicated to it seems like an odd choice.

That said I’m glad for the people who will find enjoyment in this pack.
  • AlyonaSimAlyonaSim Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm not interested in having a Star Wars themed pack in the Sims - I don't think Star Wars fans are all of a sudden going to start playing Sims because of it, there are lots of Star Wars games out there targeted to them. I wasn't into vampires, the Strangerville storyline or even the Realm of Magic but bought them for the buy/build content. I don't play with vampires or witches and did the Strangerville story once and then got a modded world that removed all the weird plants and stuff so it's a regular neighborhood. I can't see this pack having nice furniture , window or doors that would add to my game so I'm going to pass on it
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Yeah, people are bursting blood vessels over it, like... legit fury. It has taken the term "nerd rage" to a whole new level, lol. I think the community has spent too long in lockdown and could use some fresh air and communication with real live human beings, face to face, once in a while. :D

Everyone Is screaming for a sims 5 but what's the point of the devs engaging with the community for the next part if they are going to be like this? It's only going to be worse if anything.

I think people forget that this is a game at the end of the day. And it's their game. Just like when you pick up ffxi from the stores it's up to you if you want to purchase a game they made their way be cause it's "their game"

The sims is not build a bear. But they have always been generous in going along with the community with many things. But they are not obligated. Even the surveys are not 100% what we are going to get. Now how they decide what we get, when and what to use from the survey or why only they know.

This has got to be one of the best analogies I've ever seen. Your whole post is absolutely true.
    #Team Occult
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    [quote="CelSims;c-17631465"]Because it's not my personal dream pack, therefor no one ever wanted it ever and it's the worst idea in the world and everyone will hate and what I want is the only thing that matters! [/quote]

I mean, I personally wasn’t expecting anything or even wanting anything to be honest, but I’m still disappointed and extremely put off by it. I feel like they want me to pay $20 for an advertisement. I’m sure there are people who hate it because it’s not cows, but most people I’ve seen don’t like it because it’s a clear cash grab.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Well then why all the hate for laundry and knitting? Because we don't all play the same way. And the people who don't like the star wars idea are saying so. Forums are for discussion and we are discussing.
  • GitaGita Posts: 108 Member
    The amount of negative reactions wouldn't be this big when the community would have the feeling the sims team listens to them. How longer it takes before they do something about the complains of the players the more negative reactions they will receive.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I think we have to get used to it.

People are going to lose interest and be less forgiving because 6 years have passed and that leads to frustration when packs like these are made.

It's not going to go away, not unless Maxis releases some packs that contains things that most of the community want... and even then, I think people are going to lose interest because too many years have passed.
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2020
    Because you’re paying £20 to play in a Disney advert for Galaxy’s Edge or whatever their overpriced garbage theme park is called. The only reason this pack exists is because Disney paid them to make it. Or EA were contractually obliged through their rights to make Star Wars games. If you’re expecting this to be anything other than a hot mess that doesn’t meet Star Wars fan’s expectations I don’t know what to say to you.

Disney isnt a "garbage theme park" , but ill just leave it at that ;) Maybe you just arent into theme parks and thats ok too though B)@StrawberryNightmare
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member

I strongly disagree with this. I dont believe for a moment that sim gurus like Dave or former guru Grant,the devs we are actually familiar with, actually decide themselves what packs get made for sims 4. I dont even believe they have much control of what ideas come to the forefront in the board meetings or whatever. I think what packs are released comes from the top of the EA pyramid and trickles down . The devs job is simply to do what they say.

But not for one moment do i agree that if they were to be able to truly shape the sims games, that they should ignore players and make the game THEY want. Thats simply ridiculous to me :/@Babykittyjade
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I strongly disagree with this. I dont believe for a moment that sim gurus like Dave or former guru Grant,the devs we are actually familiar with, actually decide themselves what packs get made for sims 4. I dont even believe they have much control of what ideas come to the forefront in the board meetings or whatever. I think what packs are released comes from the top of the EA pyramid and trickles down . The devs job is simply to do what they say.

But not for one moment do i agree that if they were to be able to truly shape the sims games, that they should ignore players and make the game THEY want. Thats simply ridiculous to me :/@Babykittyjade

This could be true. Some believe it's EA making all of the decisions and some believe it's the gurus. No one will ever truly know unless we work there.
    I🤷‍♀️
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I don't get all the hate either - I just posted this in another thread:

I too think it looks like fun! Certainly more than eco lifestyle, tiny living, and knitting. I have only watched one of the newer Disney Star Wars movies, but I liked it (sad that Hans Solo died though). There are missions, sides to take, cool looking world and characters, light sabers, storm troopers, and droids - sounds pretty fun to me! I have heard that this is based on a Disney World theme park so not sure why so many think it is so hard to incorporate into the sims - just think of it as your sim going on a vacation to Disney World and having an adventure there. Not so different from Jungle Adventure. My sims need some fun and adventure - they are bored! I am glad they did something different.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020

It is true EA/Maxis may make a deal (through the Marketing Dept.) and contract with an entity to sell some content related to a theme or an enity and or a movement/political and or a direction by a CEO. However, those are not very often.

I'm not sure why you aren't believing developers and Lyndsay in charge of Maxis and or previous vice presidents and presidents of Maxis such as Rachel Franklin and or Lucy Bradshaw that Maxis has freedom to build and come up with their own ideas and content and developers often get their ideas into the packs and it is Lyndsay (Now in charge of Maxis) who said before they are given broad freedom to do whatever they want in this series. Maxis has President, a vice president, a GM, a Creative Director and several Producers and hundreds of animators and developers, EA doesn't tell Maxis to build bunkbeds.

To answer the question in header, because this is a Disney/Maxis/EA money grab to beef up and sell Disney/EA Star Wars failing game. It's a crossover to get more interest for Disney's Marketing of Star Wars.

2. It's another linear, story driven pack. Like SV. What's that got to do with a life simulator how does a one time play through even resemble a life simulator genre?

3. Reused assets and animations, again.

My personal opinion, is Maxis should just come out and tell players/customers they are tired of building a life simulator and be done with it. We all can see with TS4 they are tired of it, or we wouldn't see this series go so far off the mark of what a life simulator is supposed to be. Not just because of this pack and or SV but because of other genres so mixed in with TS4 we hardly even see a life simulator.

It wasn't EA who thought Never Weary trait was 'cheating' the system. That was the view of a developer who decided to change it to sometimes weary but not change the name of the trait. Because he felt it was 'cheating'. That's a very rpg gaming system to play to win, keep score, build up levels, etc. type genre train of thought. How does anyone cheat a life simulator when it's about the player and a god game rather than an rpg. Those are the developers of TS4, instead of sticking to a life simulator they wander over into rules engaged in rpgs.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Many haters will become dislikers, and many dislikers will become positive, when they get some more info. We live in an era where everyone is the center of the universe, so if a pack is not matching their wants, they will go out loud about it. It has become a "human right" to get everything one desire ;)

I'm not agreeing that EA gave us something nobody wants. There have been numerous treads wanting sci-fi and space for TS4. It might of course be just a handful simmers shouting loud making it seem like the masses requested this kind of pack, but if EA reads the boards, they must have seen a certain demand for space stuff.

Same might be with the "paranormal hunt" (?) - seems like the masses claiming such a pack, but they might actually be just a handful and if we get it, that will be reacted negatively upon as well. Personally I don't want neither space nor paranormal, but I'm fine with skipping every other pack, not really expecting all packs to be my road.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

It is true EA/Maxis may make a deal (through the Marketing Dept.) and contract with an entity to sell some content related to a theme or an enity and or a movement/political and or a direction by a CEO. However, those are not very often.

I'm not sure why you aren't believing developers and Lyndsay in charge of Maxis and or previous vice presidents and presidents of Maxis such as Rachel Franklin and or Lucy Bradshaw that Maxis has freedom to build and come up with their own ideas and content and developers often get their ideas into the packs and it is Lyndsay (Now in charge of Maxis) who said before they are given broad freedom to do whatever they want in this series. Maxis has President, a vice president, a GM, a Creative Director and several Producers and hundreds of animators and developers, EA doesn't tell Maxis to build bunkbeds.

To answer the question in header, because this is a Disney/Maxis/EA money grab to beef up and sell Disney/EA Star Wars failing game. It's a crossover to get more interest for Disney's Marketing of Star Wars.

2. It's another linear, story driven pack. Like SV. What's that got to do with a life simulator how does a one time play through even resemble a life simulator genre?

3. Reused assets and animations, again.

My personal opinion, is Maxis should just come out and tell players/customers they are tired of building a life simulator and be done with it. We all can see with TS4 they are tired of it, or we wouldn't see this series go so far off the mark of what a life simulator is supposed to be. Not just because of this pack and or SV but because of other genres so mixed in with TS4 we hardly even see a life simulator.

I love this post.

And I agree, it’s been confirmed by Grant as well that they have a lot of freedom when making packs.
    And from what I’ve heard Strangerville was entirely the devs idea- EA didn’t make them make it, they decided on the theme and the story. And I can believe that as Grant was very excited about it.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Im not even big on the sci-fi genre, but if this was a more general space adventure pack Id be for it. Even in my least favorite packs I find something that can be used into my gameplay. I think the knitting pack is stupid, but metal music and Plopsy? I could use those. Not sure what Ill find in a star wars pack that I could intergrate into my overall gameplay that isnt about star wars. I never got into the franchise.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't think anyone actually hates a game. They do dislike some things. However, I think if they are going to take polls of how to fix TS4 in some survey they did, they should at least start to work on those things they asked about and when they finally get back to improving the traits/emotions/personalities of Sims I might be inclined to look at this game again with more interest. Or it was a waste of time for all those who took the survey. Wake me up when they get back to building a proper life simulator. I'm so done with very little gameplay in this series all for the sake of pose a Sim, snap a picture, write a caption. That model of game has made them a billion, I have to wonder why. What happened to playing the game and seeing what happens good or bad, and simulationg life. Now days it's all about the 'story' and pose boxes. And the stuff they do add is all about linear or scripted play so we will all hurry up and buy the next thing to gain a level, and or a skill and or another photo op. What was the purpose of that survey a year ago or so, if they weren't going to deliver. Waste of time for everyone, including them, and the marketing company who did it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Many haters will become dislikers, and many dislikers will become positive, when they get some more info. We live in an era where everyone is the center of the universe, so if a pack is not matching their wants, they will go out loud about it. It has become a "human right" to get everything one desire ;)

I'm not agreeing that EA gave us something nobody wants. There have been numerous treads wanting sci-fi and space for TS4. It might of course be just a handful simmers shouting loud making it seem like the masses requested this kind of pack, but if EA reads the boards, they must have seen a certain demand for space stuff.

Same might be with the "paranormal hunt" (?) - seems like the masses claiming such a pack, but they might actually be just a handful and if we get it, that will be reacted negatively upon as well. Personally I don't want neither space nor paranormal, but I'm fine with skipping every other pack, not really expecting all packs to be my road.

I feel like this is a “once in a blue moon”-pack. Ehh.. English isn’t my first language but I mean that this is not something that I expect to see regularly. I am however in that minority that is really really happy about it.

I came to The Sims from a series of MMO’s and rpg’s so for my part it feels like getting some of the stuff I really liked from my other games.

Sims 4 has become my favorite game. I feel conflicted. These things that are “less usual, less mundane” really make me light up. Hope that the next pack is a crowd pleaser but this pack really look deep and full of content for a happy little minority.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I feel like the problem with the majority of sims players is they don't really play anything else.
    Usually when you're disappointed in a game you quit and play another, but for some that would mean forfeiting the hobby as a whole and thus they feel very strongly about things not going exactly their way (which will never happen btw).

I was surprised by the amount of simmers tuning into Gamescom opening night for the pack announcement and leaving after. Maybe they should stick around next time, find something else that might interest them. Be free of EA's clutches.