Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plot a Course to The Sims™ 4 Star Wars™: Journey to Batuu Game Pack

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    parkerswag wrote: »
    if you're one of the 5 simmers that just loveeee this pack, cool, buy it and have a blast.
    but for everyone else thats been asking for game enhancing packs for years...its a huge WHY?.
    I feel like ive always seen ppl asking for MORE game play interactions between sims. Cars. more Animals...More Worlds....
    i just dont see the point in the game creators asking for our opinions and suggestions when they dont take it.
    Im not saying no ones never asked for star wars but its fact its never been at the top of the list.
    i just dont know what the point is now. To never get what we ask for, and then have to start over with Sims 5. Just seems like a lame investment.
    Just sucha bummer imo

I think it would have been better received if this was a theme park pack & not an actual world/lore into the sims. It doesn’t make any sense what so ever
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I think a diehard Sims fan will not like this pack because of the themed tie in (think Katy Perry). A Star Wars diehard fan will not like this pack because it's a cutsie Sims game version of a theme they love deeply. So the few in between may not be enough to make it a success. However, if Disney wanted this made as a tie-in to the Disney Park Galaxy's Edge, well, here it is.

I also don't believe that we are not getting flying space ships in this pack. I think they are more for decor like the riverboat and the streetcar.

Not every SW fan is into violent video games. There are actually some out there would may prefer the Sims version to a SW game to get away from the overtly violent themes in other SW games @Dannydanbo
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    Welp I just started playing the doctor career in TS4 and my sim X-rayed an Alien. The feedback is hilarious.
    Annie-Alien.png

I do enjoy aliens and wanted an expansion of aliens. Though I am not into SW so much that I want to play it as a game, I definitely will get it if it deepens the alien experience and the aliens in Batuu aren't wearing costumes, they are real aliens with weird/different abilities, traits, etc. Aliens really need to be fleshed out as other and different. However, if it is just costumes, I will wait a couple of years and get it before EAs contract with SW/Disney expires and you can't purchase the GP.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    Welp I just started playing the doctor career in TS4 and my sim X-rayed an Alien. The feedback is hilarious.
    Annie-Alien.png

I do enjoy aliens and wanted an expansion of aliens. Though I am not into SW so much that I want to play it as a game, I definitely will get it if it deepens the alien experience and the aliens in Batuu aren't wearing costumes, they are real aliens with weird/different abilities, traits, etc. Aliens really need to be fleshed out as other and different. However, if it is just costumes, I will wait a couple of years and get it before EAs contract with SW/Disney expires and you can't purchase the GP.

I see your point with the first post and if this version gives those players a way to enjoy Star Wars then I hope it is a success.

As for the second post, I would love to be able to create new, weird alien sims using features from the Star Wars aliens but I have a fear that those other aliens might be NPC only aliens that only the game can generate. I hope I'm wrong, but I think there are so many different races of aliens just in the trailer that it would be too much CAS for just a GP. But we can hope. :)
    Yeah, I guess the Guru's play through will be on the 6th or 7th of September. So I guess we'll find out then @Dannydanbo

Frankly, this pack doesn't anger me as I am glad it is something they haven't done before. I would've been peeved, well slightly annoyed if it was a farming pack, because come on - but, I just don't purchase packs I don't care about.

Folks keep hoping TS4 will magically morph into the game they want. It's been around for 6 years, this is it.
    It is better to hope there is a TS5 built on the better game engine out there with extremely realistic Sims like in those other games showcased yesterday. Of course, then folks will complain that you need a more powerful computer and video card to play it, but then folks will always find something to complain about.

Kudos Sims team for trying something new. Yahoo, to the simmers and new simmers who will purchase this because they are looking forward to the game play. Imma stay positive on this one.
  • AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    Why?

Just .....

Why?
  • BROWNKDSBROWNKDS Posts: 8 New Member
    Am excited as I am both a Star wars fan and Sims fan.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I'm really looking forward to this as I'm a Star Wars Fan. Also I've been begging for storm trooper outfits for years and EA finally listened. I do hope that when we dress our sims as storm troopers we can use those guns. I hope thier in buydebug. The stormtrooper outfits will work good with Spooky Stuffs Halloween Parties.
    troshalom wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess the Guru's play through will be on the 6th or 7th of September. So I guess we'll find out then @Dannydanbo

Frankly, this pack doesn't anger me as I am glad it is something they haven't done before. I would've been peeved, well slightly annoyed if it was a farming pack, because come on - but, I just don't purchase packs I don't care about.

Folks keep hoping TS4 will magically morph into the game they want. It's been around for 6 years, this is it.
    It is better to hope there is a TS5 built on the better game engine out there with extremely realistic Sims like in those other games showcased yesterday. Of course, then folks will complain that you need a more powerful computer and video card to play it, but then folks will always find something to complain about.

Kudos Sims team for trying something new. Yahoo, to the simmers and new simmers who will purchase this because they are looking forward to the game play. Imma stay positive on this one.

I would think the Live Stream will happen Next Week before the Update on Thursday so they can mention what the pre patch will bring. I'm hoping anyway.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm totally out of the loop. I'm excited for my Sims to be able to go somewhere that I love going! Why is everyone disappointed? Not much crossover between Sims fans and Star Wars fans? Was everyone hoping for something specific and this isn't as good?

It seems just way too niche -- and I'm a person who likes Star Wars, at least the original trilogy (Anakin was way too emo for me in the prequel trilogy, and I never got around to seeing 7-9). I could maybe see my Geeks hanging out there (may have to get back to my O'Dourke family saga to get Liam all growed up), but if it's a linear story it'll be like Strangerville, played once and that's it. And there are a lot more themes that could be explored, but a lot of players I think are feeling like they're coming up with things like this from out of left field. Aside from the big ticket issues like cars or freed babies, people want deeper more meaningful relationships, with some sort of attraction system, and traits that actually have an impact on gameplay other than adding a few new interactions.
    The newer series is more true to the original but kind of got messy with changing writer's with the 2nd movie. Not as good as the original of course but yes emo Anakin annoyed me too. That trilogy was just bad besides the pod racing game I would play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

I'm looking forward to this too because my imagination will be going to a galaxy far, far away, and so will my Sims.

Mando.jpg

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Congrats on the promotion, so happy for you @EA_Leeloo.

Anyways on track, thanks for making this thread. I'm a sci-fi nerd. I'm excited. I like life states. I like the purple lightsaber. I don't know how the spaceships will work or if Sims will be able to have vacation homes there, but guess we will see with the future streams.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    TheSims on Twitter is really pushing this pack they've now got a new hastag.

#TheSims4StarWars
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020
    ouKQoKu.png
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Plot a course right out the door and over to TS2 where I can play with actual occult sims.

Not enthused.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    APotts wrote: »
    I don't care about Star Wars, however if it only effects the one world and Star Wars NPCs won't be running around other worlds, and it is not a buggy mess maybe it's a good thing for those who like this type of thing. But it does feel like a slap in the face for the group of fans who have been begging for certain stuff for years now.

If the Sims team and EA are smart, and if they care about long-time Sims fans at all, the next pack would be a huge EP called "The Fan Pack". It would include stuff like the following:

1. A large world with many lots to build with.
    2. An attraction system similar to Sims 2.
    3. More and better traits.
    4. Better friends and enemy system. If someone does my Sim wrong it should not be easily forgiven.
    5. Toned down emotions with a option to use the old emotion system for the people who like it... Assuming anyone actually does. But traits should rule over emotions not the other way around.
    6. Cars
    7. Bunk beds
    8. Spiral Staircase
    9. Better babies
    10. Better teens with Proms, graduation, and other fun teen stuff
    11. Bands with drums and a proper singer and if they work with clubs system and maybe enhance the celebrity pack even better.
    12. Other items that I can't think of right now that were left out of the previous packs, and fans have been begging for.

And then, Werewolves and fairies, can be the GP follow up 'The Supernatural Fan Pack' it should include the things ROM is missing, and a bigger better supernatural world to play in.

The one thing they should leave out is bugs.

Yeah, I know, I'll wake up now.😴

Totally here with you on this, waking up is hard though....from perfect dream to harsh reality :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Omaira wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm still wondering about what they mean by a datapad. Is it some kind of vehicle at last?

...."Plus, any droids ordered on Batuu return to the Sims world as well! Sure, droids might not go around zapping people in Willow Creek, but Sims can still build relationships with them and have fun driving them around with a datapad!....."

In plain english... it's a remote control.... of sorts, so you will be playing the droids like toys operated by remote control... lame or what?

To me it seems like it functions differently in Batuu. In Willow Creek it seems to be just a toy? It appears they tried really hard to keep the two worlds separate.

• PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    If I wanted to play a Star Wars game, I'd play a Star Wars game.
    If I wanted to play a supernatural game, I'd play a supernatural game.

I wanted simulated life, and they can't even get that right.

We've had 'unrealistic' content even before EA bought Maxis so...

There was also a lot more content in general in the other games, which allowed skipping some of the "supernatural" things. Sims 4's content is so lacking that the supernatural parts stick out way more than they should. There's vampires and Strangerville and now they're talking about some other supernatural pack, and now Star Wars?

There are plenty of interesting things about life that don't require fantasy to be enlightening. We can't even drive cars.

If you don’t want supernatural maybe you’re playing the wrong game. Supernatural has been around since the game started . You do not have any say on taking that away from us supernatural players. We are part of the community too . Realism players have more then us. Whenever we get supernatural stuff we usually get nerfs because realism players complain about it even when they knew what they were purchasing.

Okay, first, don't tell me what I "have say on." If I play these games, I have just as much of a right to comment on them as you do. We all bought the product, we all have a say.

Second, I never said I wanted the supernatural elements to be taken away from you. I'm not telling them to delete the supernatural elements. What my issue is, is that there aren't nearly as many realistic things about The Sims 4 as you're alleging. Of all of the Sims games, so far, The Sims 4 is by far the most "fantastical." The original Sims of the year 2000 had a lot of goofy stuff about it, but it was in the attempt of being a simulator of real life. The game came into existence because Will Wright wanted to make a game about architecture and viewing the home you built.

My issue is that compared to earlier Sims titles, Sims 4 has almost triple the amount of fantasy content, even when they cut parts of them out that previous titles left in. The Sims 3: Supernatural was just one pack with a ton of supernatural stuff to it. Every other pack was realistic. You could argue that EA deliberately broke up the Supernatural pack into chunks to force you to buy it all separately, but it disallows realism players the access to good realistic content when they're so focused on making magical things.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting magical stuff. But that seems to be the only content they're interested in releasing now. This Star Wars crap is evidence of that.

Third, no one can tell you how to play or how you want to play. If you want to play the magical stuff, do so. I don't want it removed, necessarily, but I don't really want to play it either. I haven't bothered purchasing the last few packs because of the focus on the supernatural. Oh, and yeah, knitting, because that bores me.

Magic players for The Sims 4 are far more spoiled with what they get, believe me.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited August 2020

Okay, first, don't tell me what I "have say on." If I play these games, I have just as much of a right to comment on them as you do. We all bought the product, we all have a say.

Second, I never said I wanted the supernatural elements to be taken away from you. I'm not telling them to delete the supernatural elements. What my issue is, is that there aren't nearly as many realistic things about The Sims 4 as you're alleging. Of all of the Sims games, so far, The Sims 4 is by far the most "fantastical." The original Sims of the year 2000 had a lot of goofy stuff about it, but it was in the attempt of being a simulator of real life. The game came into existence because Will Wright wanted to make a game about architecture and viewing the home you built.

My issue is that compared to earlier Sims titles, Sims 4 has almost triple the amount of fantasy content, even when they cut parts of them out that previous titles left in. The Sims 3: Supernatural was just one pack with a ton of supernatural stuff to it. Every other pack was realistic. You could argue that EA deliberately broke up the Supernatural pack into chunks to force you to buy it all separately, but it disallows realism players the access to good realistic content when they're so focused on making magical things.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting magical stuff. But that seems to be the only content they're interested in releasing now. This Star Wars 🌺🌺🌺🌺 is evidence of that.

Third, no one can tell you how to play or how you want to play. If you want to play the magical stuff, do so. I don't want it removed, necessarily, but I don't really want to play it either. I haven't bothered purchasing the last few packs because of the focus on the supernatural. Oh, and yeah, knitting, because that bores me.

Magic players for The Sims 4 are far more spoiled with what they get, believe me.

Oh please. Three game packs with supernatural elements is not 'an opressive amount of fantasy elements.' and the life states given in expansions are all lame and barely have anything to do. Everyone was dissapointed with Realm because it seemed so terribly self contained to the world it introduced, not to mentioned it had no cross pack spells/potions. And Vampires are kind of annoying even for me and I like fantasy elements so vampires could've done better. To say us getting 3 packs plus the fantasy Indiana Jones elements in JA as 'way too dang much fantasy elements you fantasy players are such whiny sissies.' is really irritating. I not read jack on University so I can't say if the robots suck not even sure their a life state tbh but Mermaids can barely do anything, aliens have like 2 interactions and Mages are specifically geared toward only being able to interact with other mages. So to say we got so much fantasy content we should be happy. And a LOT of people were annoyed with Supernatural what with zombies every dang night and eating all your potion ingredients is really annoying and the only way to get rid of em is to never use Full Moon phase which ALSO affects all your other magical creatures with no super charge mode due to no moon. And don't get me started on the massive tension between knitters and seances for stuff pack vote. So yes you can have an opinion on what content you'd like but to say we occult fans got too much is insulting to that half of fandom. Realistic players have 32 realistic dlc with like 2% of like 3 packs with occult sims and those are very very poorly recieved by occult players cuz they get hardly anything to do and just look weird. Not counting Journey there are 2 game packs dedicated exclusively to fantasy shenanigans and they lack some things tbh even older packs were a lot funner than the recent content of mages. And we LOST the vote for a pure fantasy stuff pack. We got Eco Life, Knitting, Tiny Living and univerisity since the latest fantasy pack Realm of Magic. So your argument is just you don't want fantasy elements and see everytime we get a fantasy pack as 'ignoring fanbase and they never make realism content' and it's really petty
    Post edited by WolfNate on
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Darkshadow608Darkshadow608 Posts: 156 Member
    Alrighty then... I don't comment much on forums but I feel I've got to say something here. I've seen so many comments of people moaning that "nobody wanted this" but let's face it, some people did. People complain about this pack conflicting with realism and then they get upset when people tell them that if they don't like it, don't buy it. It's a perfectly valid argument. If you don't like dark chocolate, doesn't mean the next person shouldn't have the option of buying it. Effectively the Sims franchise is a business. They make packs to make money. They don't force everyone to buy every pack, they do however create many differently themed packs to give people OPTIONS. Now that said, I know nothing about Star wars. I know there's a wise little green man and a parody with seagulls but that's it. But see, we still don't know anything about the pack. The aliens in the trailer could be masks, OR could be an alien update with added archetypes like vamp dark form has. We don't know. Personally I'm still hanging in the balance. I'd like more info before I decide. But it has potential for supernatural players to have an alien backstory. It also has potential for realism players to have a wacky science lab. We all have it as an option. That's all that matters.
    And to say "SW is so left field wth" is a bit much Get Famous had light sabers and Sith Lord costumes...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • MockerMocker Posts: 29 Member
    Okay, I finally had the opportunity to evaluate the trailer for this expansion, and I realized that they were missing out on the opportunity to add jetpacks?

And how useful the Jedi\sith be as a life state?
    The fact is that spelcasters at least use magic for everyday problems like cleaning.Vampires have an advantage in movement speed and in a way to satisfy hunger by hanging blood (which can also be useful if there is no food in the Sim's luggage).
    When mermaids in SIMS 4 are absolutely useless without open places for swimming.

I think we need to wait for the expansion to come out and evaluate its capabilities. At least it looks nice, but it's hard to judge only by the wrapper.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited August 2020
    This just proves that they don't care nor listen to the fanbase. How does a pack that came in DEAD LAST end up being the next pack to be released? This just means that these polls don't mean 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and our votes don't really count but they give us the "idea" that we're the ones who are actually voting for it. They give us pack ideas that they already have in mind to create so it doesn't matter which one we pick as long as it goes with their plans, the moment it doesn't they ignore the poll/votes and do what they want to do. So we're voting for no reason.
    giphy.gif

This just proves that they don't care nor listen to the fanbase. How does a pack that came in DEAD LAST end up being the next pack to be released? This just means that these polls don't mean 🌺🌺🌺🌺 and our votes don't really count but they give us the "idea" that we're the ones who are actually voting for it. They give us pack ideas that they already have in mind to create so it doesn't matter which one we pick as long as it goes with their plans, the moment it doesn't they ignore the poll/votes and do what they want to do. So we're voting for no reason.

That wasn't an officially sanctioned poll everyone saying fan polls from like ign n stuff not being payed attention to means EA doesn't care is the height of willful ignorance.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    This just proves that they don't care nor listen to the fanbase. How does a pack that came in DEAD LAST end up being the next pack to be released? This just means that these polls don't mean 🌺🌺🌺🌺 and our votes don't really count but they give us the "idea" that we're the ones who are actually voting for it. They give us pack ideas that they already have in mind to create so it doesn't matter which one we pick as long as it goes with their plans, the moment it doesn't they ignore the poll/votes and do what they want to do. So we're voting for no reason.

@BrittanyChick22
    that poll was not carried out by EA. It was an independent poll carried out by Digital Spy which was done in January 2020 when the star wars pack was most likely already in the making anyway.

As Digital Spy says in that article:
    Last week, we compiled a list of 21 different ideas for packs in 2020 and, just for fun, asked readers to vote up as many of their favourites as they liked. There was a total of more than 170,000 'upvotes' across all options.

I am just pointing this out because so many people seem to believe that this poll was done by EA - that EA asked if people wanted Star Wars, found out that they didn't and went ahead and made the pack anyway. That isn't the case.

Now, we could have a discussion about whether EA should have asked if people wanted Star Wars before steamrollering ahead and making a Star Wars pack anyway. Certainly, they should. And even without doing a poll, they should have had some idea that it would not be well received.

Also yes, I do agree that this does show that they have not been listening to what fans have been saying that they want (both on the forums/on social media and on official EA polls). Just because I myself happen to be really excited for this pack doesn't mean I can't accept that these things. Those disappointed do have every right to be.