Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plot a Course to The Sims™ 4 Star Wars™: Journey to Batuu Game Pack

Comments

• WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I believe it's quest focused like Strange but I believe once you beat it you can still interact there might even be 'post game' quests so you can buy everything from that faction. I assume you'd need a new sim for a diff faction but I think you can have same file and have that new sim 'win' with another faction.

Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    The first pack I skip. Even if I got this for FREE I wouldnt download it.

I was fine with the Star Wars costumes and baby Yoda. Im 100% fine with that. But did we really need a blasted GP dedicated to the franchise? Im not even into sci-fi in the first place, but if this was a more general space pack that would target more people rather than just some I'd be down for it!

This is what they call "doing something we've never done before"? A literal cashgrab? My god who do they think they're fooling?

Im not buying. I dont know anything about Star Wars. I know its a great franchise, but never got into it. I think Ive played only 2 SW games my entire life. I really really really hope they are seeing the heat that they are getting from this. But we all know its in one ear and out the other.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Damiensmom wrote: »
    This is a joke! I'm not even a fan of Star Wars so I most likely won't buy this , it's honestly upsetting because if your going to put something out there at least let it be something everyone can enjoy. If it had been a future pack I would have bought it , but it's a Star Wars story dlc. I don't like the story like DLC's like strangerville, I feel like I'm being forced to play the game your way and have less free will. It's sad because I got the Strangerville game and attempted to play it once but I immediately hated it. If you were going to give us anything at least give us stuff we can use to create our own story's with not a story that is already preset.

I have good news I guess, It lets you create your own story sort of. U can choose if you want to be the bad guys or the good guys. Im pretty much sure it isnt going to be like Strangerville.

Yes, there are at least three stories to choose from, bad guys, good guys, and the unaffiliated ones.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    This pack was advertised on the 'Star Wars Kids' channel on youtube - which says everything you need to know. We're officially playing a game for 8 year olds. LOL

The Sims 4 has always been a game MADE for kids. Yes, people of all ages play it, but it's so sanitized and child friendly that it's become the ideal game for kids to play. The only T rated element is "woohoo" the rest is super child friendly.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have more than a few questions. Maybe someone should start a QUESTIONS post for the devs. Who knows, they might actually answer one or two. Here's a question that popped into my mind this bright morn, is Batuu a world we live in (like Windenburg) or just visit (like Selvadorada) and go back home. In the video (which I know does not really show actual gameplay) the sim gets a saber handle from somewhere and then is somehow transported to Batuu. I hope there is a process for coming and going and not just opening your phone, picking TRAVEL and teleporting to Batuu. It would be great if they reused (as you can't expect all players to have bought GTW) the wormhole machine and that's how you travel. Similar to the Magic Portal in the Magic Realm. Then, at the end of the video, she's back home partying with new SW stuff in the same house.

I think, if I could pick, I'd prefer a visit type of planet where you could stay as long as you want to to accomplish the quest(s) but, eventually, go back home. I'd hate to be forced to sell and re-buy the house my sim lived in. I can't really see getting bills in Batuu and having my power turned off if I don't pay because I'm questing. I could see living in a bunker as a soldier or a hidden base of operations as a rebel or an empty hut as a smuggler.

And can you just be there without interacting with the story? Can you just live in Batuu and make friends and get a job (will there be jobs in Batuu?)? Can you fall in love with a local that you met at the cantina and get married, buy a hut and have kids? Is there a school for kids to go to? Do they teleport back to earth everyday and home again? kid: "Mom? Can I go play at Ralphie's, his mom said it was okay." mom: "Okay, but don't talk to strangers on the shuttle to earth and behave." Will we see Nancy Landgraab jogging through Batuu with a droid following behind?

So many questions.

I have rolled this pack announcement around in my head and I think I'll start by playing Batuu as a Disney resort vacation world like in Westworld, where you "live" the experience. Unless I play as if Batuu were the only world and ignore traveling to other worlds, I don't see how to incorporate a Star Wars storyline into any of my games, even my supernatural save. Should I send Vlad to Batuu to suck the rebels dry and put them under his spell?

What happens when my Earth aliens meet Batuu aliens? Will Batuu aliens have alien powers like Earth aliens. If not, can I rule Batuu with my mind probes?

Will there be Jedi's with mind powers? Hello, remember The Force? How can you have a Star Wars pack and not have The Force in the gameplay? Are Jedi's a new occult with skill levels and power tiers as the video suggests (or was that just video fluff)?

Devs, feel free to pop in and answer any or all of my questions. If this is the great pack you guys wanted to make, lets have some open communication about it and answer some questions. Ninja? Ninja? Has anyone seen SimGuruNinja?
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    People who insist the devs should be fired for making this are just horrible.

I didn't said that they should've be fired! Not just that but I'm not insisting in any thing aswell... I'm just questioning what happened to this franchise! Im not saying things as true facts.

And just please don't come with the argument "don't like it, don't buy it" as if that translated to "don't like it, don't have an opinion" because that's not correct to silence opinions and genuine questions.

I will not spend much more time with this topic because quite frankly I don't have the audacity of casually calling someone horrible just for the sake of having a different view.

Have a nice day!
  • PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    If I wanted to play a Star Wars game, I'd play a Star Wars game.
    If I wanted to play a supernatural game, I'd play a supernatural game.

I wanted simulated life, and they can't even get that right.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member

We've had 'unrealistic' content even before EA bought Maxis so...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    edited August 2020

There was also a lot more content in general in the other games, which allowed skipping some of the "supernatural" things. Sims 4's content is so lacking that the supernatural parts stick out way more than they should. There's vampires and Strangerville and now they're talking about some other supernatural pack, and now Star Wars?

There are plenty of interesting things about life that don't require fantasy to be enlightening. We can't even drive cars.
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I would prefer to play with Life versus Fantasy. I dislike quest type game play.
  • Tguidry6Tguidry6 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've never left a comment here before, because well why bother if they are totally ignoring what players want from the vast comments they have gotten now and in the past, however I'm tired of spending money on a game that is lack luster and does not keep my interest for very long. It's missing something and packs like this are not helping in the least. :'(
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    The likes to dislikes ratio on the trailer is truly iconic. I would like to say this backlash would be a wake up call, but it most likely won’t.
  • flowersspringflowersspring Posts: 27 Member
    if this was just a sci fi/space pack i would probably be unbothered, but the fact that it is a brand deal is upsetting. it just reeks of "give us your money". the build/buy and cas assets look so unusable. i didn't see one thing that i thought "oh well i like that at least". also i saw a lot of base game stuff in the trailer which makes me think there actually isn't much that comes with this pack in the first place. by reading the description of this pack it sounds like a reskinned version of jungle adventure with the quests and collecting crystals or whatever they're called. so disappointing.
  • Anfernee93PAnfernee93P Posts: 42 Member
    I'm so torn.

I love Star Wars. I love Disney parks and Galaxy's Edge. I also love the Sims very, very much. This pack, however, looks like it will be the nail in the coffin for many players.

The pack itself looks great. The lighting, the world, the objects, it looks like they studied the parks and got the details just right. It's slightly annoying to see simmers make incorrect assumptions because they don't know anything about Galaxy's Edge, but as a massive fan of the parks and having that as a frame of reference, I realize I may be in the minority here. For anyone unfamiliar, just know that this reads like an ad campaign for Disneyland and WDW. Creating your own Star Wars story is the whole concept behind Galaxy's Edge; down to the characters (Hondo Ohnaka, Vi Moradi), Rex DJing at Oga's Cantina, ronto-wraps, crafting your own lightsabers and droids, collecting credits as a smuggler. It's all pulled directly from the park.

All of that said, where does this fit in the span of the Sims universe? Are the alien creatures "canon" with the Sims 4 aliens? Will we have to jump into CAS every 5 minutes to fix townies because they keep popping up wearing clothing pieces that are only suited for Batuu? Is this going to be a linear story game pack that the player doesn't touch again? They tried that with Strangerville and it left many simmers unhappy. We at least got good build/buy/CAS assets from Strangerville. The assets I've seen from this pack so far don't look like they belong anywhere in my game.

My main question is, who is this for? We've seen the polls and the mass majority of simmers did NOT want this pack. While being fully aware that EA has the license for Star Wars games, why does that mean they have to inject it into the Sims 4? Can't they exist as separate entities? Why does EA force the Sims team to work on projects that they know for a fact will make most of the community unhappy? Who sat in a meeting room and ultimately decided it was better to use their assets to make a linear, story-driven Star Wars pack rather than the diverse and wide options of packs that many simmers have been asking for, for years?

I need someone to explain this to me. Because right now, it reads like a massive cash grab to get non-Sims 4 players to spend money on this game, just because it's Star Wars - and the suits at EA know Star Wars is a property that sells.

I mean, heaven's sake, The Sims 4 is a life simulation game. Not a Star Wars simulation game.
    While watching Carl's announcement video, it occurred to me that it might be fun to create a household (if we can live there) of OG's (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca and maybe Yoda) with the costumes as ghosts to mess with the troopers and assist the rebels. It might be fun to be the OG's and just mess with things.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    Everyone is too busy sharing their betrayed feelings and no comment to be found here. We are tired.. Tired.

I’m just so disappointed. I don’t even have any words..

I mean, the pack itself looks fairly.. interesting, but I was really hoping for farming.

It is almost suspiciously done to push us away.

No, I suspect it's to push us toward RGP play. Not what I wanted. No way, no how. Give me Star Trek or give me death of the Sims!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I wonder if there will be a follow up Stuff Pack like MFP called MFC? My First Cyborg where you can create C-P3O. Oh wait, you sort of can with the Uni pack. Hmmmm. Curious.
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    All I can say is 70's movie in 2020 game wth WAREWOLVES need to be soon please my vampire miss going to war with them
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • foxontherun7foxontherun7 Posts: 51 Member
    Cool, so we can fight Ewoks and whatnot (I would, don't judge. I think they're creepy!) on a whole other planet, but we can't fix up cars and motorcycles and drive them, and heaven forbid we have more diversity with skin tones. This is the Katy Perry Sweet Treats of The Sims 4. 100% will not be buying this pack. Let me know when we get to immersive high schools, vacation destinations (skiing, safaris, etc) and more fleshed-out hobbies, which really should have been included in what became Nifty Knitting. I agree with Sims fans who've said this is a slap in the face to people who enjoy realistic game play.
  • QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    Congratulations on stabbing your loyal fanbase in the back after years of putting up with a shallow and lacklustre game.

They did that on the flop of a 20th anniversary. At this point, they're just taking the knife out and sticking it back in us over and over again...
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Why couldn’t Strangerville be as detailed? Why couldn’t we get an improvement on our current aliens rather then copied & paste aliens from Star Wars? So many reasons wrong with this picture .
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020

There was also a lot more content in general in the other games, which allowed skipping some of the "supernatural" things. Sims 4's content is so lacking that the supernatural parts stick out way more than they should. There's vampires and Strangerville and now they're talking about some other supernatural pack, and now Star Wars?

There are plenty of interesting things about life that don't require fantasy to be enlightening. We can't even drive cars.

If you don’t want supernatural maybe you’re playing the wrong game. Supernatural has been around since the game started . You do not have any say on taking that away from us supernatural players. We are part of the community too . Realism players have more then us. Whenever we get supernatural stuff we usually get nerfs because realism players complain about it even when they knew what they were purchasing.
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I don't think EA cares about anything but it's bottom line and this I understand and accept. They should realize that giving players what they want is what's good for business. Maybe if this pack fails to generate the revenue they were hoping for, they will listen to us more. From the trailer I see no reason to buy this pack and I don't hate Star Wars. I think this is too far fetched. Although I'm not into fantastic game play, a general space pack with a not so specific theme would be better received by me. I would have still bought the pack. I'm quite dissapointed. I was looking forward to a new game pack. I know we can't always get what we want, but with this pack I can't help feeling used and insulted.

The only way I am buying this pack is if there are must have items from CAS and the build/buy mode, maybe a new career and traits and aspirations not specific to star wars. I only saw 1 new hair style in the trailer that was ok. To be honest, I wouldn't want to clutter my game with any more Star Wars junk.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    There is no need to give players any more of monthly 'survey' if the feedbacks only end up being ignored or fall in deaf ears.
    ihavemultiplegamertags