Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plot a Course to The Sims™ 4 Star Wars™: Journey to Batuu Game Pack

Comments

• ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    I'm just going to say farming was just perfect for late August/September and harverst season going on. And maybe happy haunts in October for spooky season. And then generations with some baby update for Christmas/family season or even a winter world pack. But they decided to go with Star Wars, wich has nothing to do with the sims at all neither with their public, clients and fans. What a thoughtful choice.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Is it just me or do you, every time you read "Plot a course...", immediately think of the Love Boat?
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm totally out of the loop. I'm excited for my Sims to be able to go somewhere that I love going! Why is everyone disappointed? Not much crossover between Sims fans and Star Wars fans? Was everyone hoping for something specific and this isn't as good?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. But I just don't think this fits with my Sims gameplay at all.

Look, anyone who is a genre fan... whether it's the Sims, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Buffyverse, LOTR, whatever... you know that the internal consistency of the universe matters. Are we now to believe that the Sims and Star Wars exist in the same universe? That's a big pill to swallow. I mean, would you really want Harry Potter showing up in Mordor, no matter how much you love either series?

IF I eventually buy the pack, and that's a huge if, the only way I will be able to play it is to create a new save (which I hate to do, I have played in the same rotational save from day one), and only play a single character who travels to this world and runs through all the content, and then never touch it again. That's a big ask, financially. But I don't want the SW world, much as I love it, bleeding into the world of my regular sims. They just do not, in either my head canon or in any logical canon, exist in the same universe.

Of course, the problem with trying to do that is that in my regular save, then I would have Rey showing up at the spice festival and Kylo Ren working out at the gym and townies wandering around with light sabers, and so on. At a bare minimum, I hope that's something they can tone down in the patches that will inevitably be necessary.

Edited to add: I want to be fair here. The pack itself, if you take away all context, looks pretty cool. I might even really like it as a standalone game (like, say, Sims Medieval). It's just that when you start to actually think through the ramifications, it's not something I want mingled with my regular sims gameplay. And I'm not convinced there will be a decent way to keep it separate.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I'm totally out of the loop. I'm excited for my Sims to be able to go somewhere that I love going! Why is everyone disappointed? Not much crossover between Sims fans and Star Wars fans? Was everyone hoping for something specific and this isn't as good?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. But I just don't think this fits with my Sims gameplay at all.

Look, anyone who is a genre fan... whether it's the Sims, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Buffyverse, LOTR, whatever... you know that the internal consistency of the universe matters. Are we now to believe that the Sims and Star Wars exist in the same universe? That's a big pill to swallow. I mean, would you really want Harry Potter showing up in Mordor, no matter how much you love either series?

IF I eventually buy the pack, and that's a huge if, the only way I will be able to play it is to create a new save (which I hate to do, I have played in the same rotational save from day one), and only play a single character who travels to this world and runs through all the content, and then never touch it again. That's a big ask, financially. But I don't want the SW world, much as I love it, bleeding into the world of my regular sims. They just do not, in either my head canon or in any logical canon, exist in the same universe.

Of course, the problem with trying to do that is that in my regular save, then I would have Rey showing up at the spice festival and Kylo Ren working out at the gym and townies wandering around with light sabers, and so on. At a bare minimum, I hope that's something they can tone down in the patches that will inevitably be necessary.

I kind of like crossovers, ngl. But I also keep several saves tailored to whatever universe I'm playing in. I rarely mix fantasy with sci-fi in my saves and make all worlds in a save be cohesive. Then again, I like building, so for me, setting up a save is rougly half the fun.

And I think there won't be a risk of SW characters spilling into other worlds. I think there was a tweet?
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »
    And I think there won't be a risk of SW characters spilling into other worlds. I think there was a tweet?

I hope that's true, but I think we can reasonably anticipate that that's not going to work perfectly. Strangerville hijinks were supposed to stay confined to that world, too, and mostly that's true, but it doesn't always work perfectly. Even if the characters stay confined, I'm not so sure the food, CAS, etc., won't pop up randomly.

I kind of like crossovers, ngl. But I also keep several saves tailored to whatever universe I'm playing in. I rarely mix fantasy with sci-fi in my saves and make all worlds in a save be cohesive. Then again, I like building, so for me, setting up a save is rougly half the fun.

Singuruninja answered a question about that with "Nothing to worry about." Yet another vague reply from a guru that doesn't really answer the question.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member

I hope that's true, but I think we can reasonably anticipate that that's not going to work perfectly. Strangerville hijinks were supposed to stay confined to that world, too, and mostly that's true, but it doesn't always work perfectly. Even if the characters stay confined, I'm not so sure the food, CAS, etc., won't pop up randomly.

Well, that's true. I think the only surefire way is to skip the pack. I think a lot of regular completionists are even doing it.
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    Urgh. Why? Seriously why? This is the last thing I could think of that I would ever want in a Sims game, there are so many things I'd choose over this any day.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    edited August 2020

I'd be really upset if they went back into The Lord of the Rings and edited in Harry Potter. But they didn't. And Bella Goth isn't going to be in the Star Wars movies. I don't want the next Fallout game to be set in Equestria, either, but I'm not going to be upset that someone wrote a My Little Pony/Fallout crossover fanfic that's not official and that no one is making me read.

My own "Star Wars save" as I'm planning it out is going to have a mix of regular Sims, Star Wars characters, characters from other TV shows and movies, and real people like my sim-self and my family and friends. I'm actually planning to mix in characters from Star Trek, Buffy, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings, because why not?

The Sims is a game about getting to play it your way, and it's also a game about other people getting to play it their way, so I don't see the point in getting up in arms that there's one optional DLC that lets people who want to play with Star Wars stuff in their game do that. Just don't buy it and if enough people don't buy it, you 100% will not see another pack like it.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I don't really see the problem with putting Star Wars into the sims. With the kind of game it is you could probably get away with adding all kinds of stuff.

We have Mr and Mrs Average with their 2.4 kids living in suburbia, and down the road is an alien, a vampire and a mermaid shacking up together. Parading down the street in weird and wacky clothing is a famous filmstar, overtaken by a spellcaster on a broomstick. Oh, and along comes Grimmy into the midst of it all to collect the soul of someone who died laughing.

So why not add a stormtroopers or a jedi to the mix? Makes perfect sense to me :D
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    kemowery wrote: »

I'd be really upset if they went back into The Lord of the Rings and edited in Harry Potter. But they didn't. And Bella Goth isn't going to be in the Star Wars movies. I don't want the next Fallout game to be set in Equestria, either, but I'm not going to be upset that someone wrote a My Little Pony/Fallout crossover fanfic that's not official and that no one is making me read.

My own "Star Wars save" as I'm planning it out is going to have a mix of regular Sims, Star Wars characters, characters from other TV shows and movies, and real people like my sim-self and my family and friends. I'm actually planning to mix in characters from Star Trek, Buffy, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings, because why not?

The Sims is a game about getting to play it your way, and it's also a game about other people getting to play it their way, so I don't see the point in getting up in arms that there's one optional DLC that lets people who want to play with Star Wars stuff in their game do that. Just don't buy it and if enough people don't buy it, you 100% will not see another pack like it.

I've got plans! First, I'm taking my simself and my bestie's simself to Batuu on my Simself save since my friend's been there already, but I haven't, and right noew, we can't go together or go at all. Then, I need my iconic photo with all my 501st family in front of the Falcon. And then I made a save that's purely for my Star Wars characters that I've been writing about with a friend (same as above) for half our lives (where somewhere along the line, we've melded NeuCanon and the EU/Legends into some odd conglomeration of I dunno what, but it'll be interesting to see the characters "in the flesh" so to speak.
    I've been looking at a few maps supplied by other players on the forum and I don't see any place for any lots to build on. Can we build in Batuu? Can we edit anything in Batuu? How would you feel about a world with no lots to build on at all, despite the fact that it's a Star Wars world like Batuu?
  • SapphireKaiSapphireKai Posts: 33 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    I love SW. I do. But an entire pack dedicated to SW? I don't know about that. It's also giving me STRONG Strangerville vibes. So I predict the gameplay will be a LINEAR story that we'll play once and never touch again. No wonder the trailer has so many dislikes.

I really only downloaded Strangerville to decorate with weird plants. I opened the map once in overview, and saw absolutely nothing of interest, I haven't once sent sims there. That money would have been better wasted on one-ply toilet paper.

The Celestial Sapphire Lotus.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you, every time you read "Plot a course...", immediately think of the Love Boat?

Yeah, but do you actually sing it? Like me. 😄
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member

Thanks, I suppose, now it plays in my head :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Barf, barf, and barf.
  • SapphireKaiSapphireKai Posts: 33 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    krist556 wrote: »
    i hope we get happy haunts in october or i will never play sims 4 again

HAHAH. We severely lack spooky content, so I completely agree.

There isn't even any decent Halloween-esque decorations. Yeah, sure, we've got pumpkins, some skulls, headstones and a scarecrow. Woohoo. Thanks. That's like getting cloves that don't fit for your summer birthday.
    We get a whole map's worth of Winter-type Holiday decorations though. Weeee.
    no sarcasm here, nope nope nope T_T

The Celestial Sapphire Lotus.

A couple of times, yes. :D
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    krist556 wrote: »
    i hope we get happy haunts in october or i will never play sims 4 again

HAHAH. We severely lack spooky content, so I completely agree.

There isn't even any decent Halloween-esque decorations. Yeah, sure, we've got pumpkins, some skulls, headstones and a scarecrow. Woohoo. Thanks. That's like getting cloves that don't fit for your summer birthday.
    We get a whole map's worth of Winter-type Holiday decorations though. Weeee.
    no sarcasm here, nope nope nope T_T

Spooky Stuff has a lot of Halloween Stuff in it. Vampires has some as well and Seasons has some.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm betting the Livestream and maybe the Gameplay Trailer will change some peoples mind and more will buy this Star Wars Pack.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Spooky Stuff has a lot of Halloween Stuff in it. Vampires has some as well and Seasons has some.

tbf some of the Halloween decor in seasons are just recolored things from the Spooky Stuff pack....
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• panamakirapanamakira Posts: 120 Member
    edited September 2020
    I will say I will be playing this pack since this is right down my alley. It looks fun and it adds variety to what we usually play in the game. The sci-fi/fantasy rp element looks like it can be fun. I'd love more of that in the game. The Sims originally always had these whacky/weird additions with aliens and whatnot. This is not that out of context as people are making it out to be. If it wasn't Star Wars it would fit in the game fine.

I see people asking all the time for more improvements to babies and mundane every day simulation play. Those are important to some players, sure, but not all Sims players want to be raising a family or playing a super realistic game. From what I understand, devs are also working simultaneously on other additions to the game. Like skin colors (which is most needed!) and I'm glad that they're working on it right now and will be releasing updates on it soon.

I actually left the forums for a long time as I didn't really want to deal with the constant negativity in here. I wish you guys would be less toxic. However, in the mist of all the noise and constant arguments, a lot of players have valid feedback.

I would suggest to the devs that opening up to the community has more benefits than not. I think that you guys should seriously look into roadmaps of what you're planning to release to give Simmers a better idea of what is coming and what you're working on. I think that the relationship between devs and players has to improve somewhere or I don't see The Sims 5 game happening.

I think that there are plenty of valid feedback I've seen and rightfully concerns about improvements to the game, but it will fall on deaf ears if it's attached to insults and generalizing all Sims players as only wanting babies and family improvements. Everyone plays The Sims differently. That's how amazing the game is. When I don't like a pack, I simply skip it and don't buy it. I vote with my wallet. Not with constant harassment of devs.

I've been playing the series since 2000. Let's be kind to each other more. This year already has been too difficult for many of us. Adding more negativity to a space that's supposed to be escapism for many of us helps no one.

tl;dr
    If this pack is not to your taste or style of play, just simply skip it and vote with your wallet without attacking devs.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    The damage is done. We just hope the patch makes up for this pack. EA isn't loosing any sleep over this and we all need to move on.
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    Really? How does this go with the rest of sims 4. It would have been better to have a theme park to take your family. For the first time I will save my money. May the force be with you?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    vcosley wrote: »
    Really? How does this go with the rest of sims 4. It would have been better to have a theme park to take your family. For the first time I will save my money. May the force be with you?

Lol, it IS a theme park. They come home with souvenirs like remote control droids, light sabres and casino games. You could take pictures with the Storm Troopers in front of the Millennium Falcon and hang them on your living room wall.