Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stairs & Ladders

I really wish sims could cancel an animation instead of having to go through the full animation. If a sim half way up the stairs or ladder and I cancel the climbing they should climb back down to do the input instead of climbing all the way to the top, climb back down and then do the action.

Comments

• sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    That is a great point, and I totally could have seen The Sims games implementing that. It just seems like the Sims 4 team won't bother. That would be great, though. It would add a detail of realism to the game. And it would help you, the player.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    I get your frustration but from a technical point of view :

I’m not saying this IS how it’s done but it COULD be

Ladder \/
    | - | A
    | - |
    | - |
    | - |
    | - |
    | - | B

The program is probably something like, sim move from a to b
    If you cancel the action, the sim can’t be like a.5 it would have to continue and then reverse
    Down the ladder : sim move from a to b
    Cancel : reverse (so you end up where you started because you clearly didn’t want the sim to go up the stairs)

It’s already actually quite cleaver if you think about it. You cancel the sim from going up the ladder or stairs so it makes the sim stay at the bottom, they could’ve just made it stop at the top but they didn’t.

Try and appreciate the sims team & their work more, it isn’t so easy
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I love the ladders but I still want spiral stairs.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    If you've used the stair tool to rotate the stairs, when you cancel while their mid-flight, they will stop at the next landing and turn back.

Canceling on a straight line stairs or ladder is likely be much harder to program and why we don't have it. I would love to have it though!
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    What annoys me most is when theyre headed for the stairs and you cancel the interaction but they continue heading towards it anyway and go up and down. I find a lot of the time even if you cancel an interaction the sim will still complete the route instead of just cancelling right away.
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    > @SERVERFRA said:
    > I love the ladders but I still want spiral stairs.

Spiral stairs are #1 on my wish list too.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Or when you queue a social interaction and they get to it after having walked somewhere else, even if the sim they're going to interact with is standing next to them, they go back all the way to where they were when you queued it. It takes them several sim-minutes.