September 24 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Request: More communication with the player base on what is being done to fix the game

«1
Dear EA and The Sims team,

I love The Sims games. I have loved them since TS1 and continue to do so.

I am grateful for every patch that fixes known issues. Thank you for working on improving the game and fixing it.

However the latest patch of August 18th made me (once again.. this has happened a few times in a row now) feel really disappointed and sad. Until recently I have always enjoyed your funny patch notes. This time it did not make me happy. I felt annoyed. It wasn't funny anymore.

I opened Origin on the 18th and saw the update there, I got super exited, happy and relieved that I get to actually play and enjoy the game again.
After reading the patch notes I sadly realized that there were absolutely nothing there to fix the issues that make my game somewhat unplayable (and most certainly not enjoyable) at the moment. These include the infamous gardening issues, the NAPs overriding player commands and also the manic NAP related NPC behavior.

I am not asking for or expecting an instant hotfix for big issues like these, but I really want EA to let us know they are working on it.

Now I am stuck in a limbo of not knowing if there even is anyone at all trying to figure this out. I really hope that there is, but how would I know that? It has become a question of faith and that shouldn't be the case. This is the second largest gaming company in the world we're talking about. You should know how to handle your public relations better than this. We, the players, deserve more info on what's going on. That's, like, the least you can do.

So here's the thing:
I would really appreciate if the patch notes would include some kind of acknowledgment of the existing and ongoing issues and preferably even that they are being investigated and/or worked on. It does not need to include a promise of a date when it will get fixed or even that you will be able to fix it. I just want to know you are trying.

If you have the time to write a novella of jokes on the patch notes, could you at least tell us that we can expect something to be done to other issues too that you couldn't yet fix, please?

This isn't too much to ask, is it?
origin ID: adduapina

Comments

  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 5,495 Member
    edited August 20
    SimGuruNick posted this the other day on Twitter. It might help you know that they are working on some you might be upset about.

  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    @Simburian Thank you! I don't use social media at all, so I'm kinda left out on stuff like this. That's the reason I wish this kind of information would be given within the patch notes, not Twitter etc.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • logionlogion Posts: 1,736 Member
    edited August 20
    I agree.

    Some things that I would like to see:
    • More developers posting updates on Answer HQ, not just crinrict (who is not a developer). Especially the Bug Reports section. Post updates when you have discovered what you think could be the issue, that they have managed to reproduce the issue, and when they have found a solution. Have a status that is called [Included in the next patch] or something.
    • Patch notes should refer to the main posts from Answer HQ. Sims stealing sinks and tables from community lots was named [ECO] Objects disappear from lots/ NPC Stealing (with and without N.A.P) at Answer HQ and in the patch notes they did not even mention NAPs, they posted that "sims stole objects from Lots without having the Kleptomaniac Trait" no one knows if the actual problem is even fixed or not. Is it by design? Is it a tuning issue? Are the buffs and the traits working as intended?
    I understand that bug fixing is difficult, but this should be possible to do.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I agree.

    Some things that I would like to see:
    • More developers posting updates on Answer HQ, not just crinrict (who is not a developer). Especially the Bug Reports section. Post updates when you have discovered what you think could be the issue, that they have managed to reproduce the issue, and when they have found a solution. Have a status that is called [Included in the next patch] or something.
    • Patch notes should refer to the main posts from Answer HQ. Sims stealing sinks and tables from community lots was named [ECO] Objects disappear from lots/ NPC Stealing (with and without N.A.P) at Answer HQ and in the patch notes they did not even mention NAPs, they posted that "sims stole objects from Lots without having the Kleptomaniac Trait" no one knows if the actual problem is even fixed or not. Is it by design? Is it a tuning issue? Are the buffs and the traits working as intended?
    I understand that bug fixing is difficult, but this should be possible to do.

    @logion Absolutely second this.
    Also I think Crinrict should have a statue in front of EA headquarters.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 1,612 Member
    I never like the joke in patch notes either, it sounded so cringy.

    I do agree though the recent patches are somewhat dissapointing especially the Spring Cleaning patch where the said it's the most complete bug fix patch they ever done while it actually only fix and handful of minor bugs and they took a really long time fixing the major bug (vampire power/weakness - since get famous only to be fixed a year later), regardless some people would still complain whether there will be patch or not.

    I agree with you, they should try to at least include known issue that they are looking into in the patches so we get at least reassurance that they are going to fix the aforementioned issues such as this for example:
    Known Issues
    Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
    Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.02 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
    Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
    Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
    Some players with a non-Latin-1 codepage may have had their save games missing after Patch 1.01; we have a script that can help relocate the missing save games. Please reach out to our team here using “Report Other Issue” for support.
    We're aware of and continue to investigate issues on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!


    Patch Notes
    Crash Fixes
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during their first game boot when the ‘game optimization’ screen is active and they ran out of disc space.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash if they updated their video drivers after the game was already optimized previously.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay because of memory incorrectly being overwritten.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay due to a texture unstreaming bug.
    When can we get The Sims 3 Remastered Complete Edition 64 Bit?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 5,495 Member
    edited August 20
    adduapina wrote: »
    @Simburian Thank you! I don't use social media at all, so I'm kinda left out on stuff like this. That's the reason I wish this kind of information would be given within the patch notes, not Twitter etc.

    I've found Twitter a lifesaver during this Lockdown in the UK. I'm following all the SimGurus I find there and some seem to be very absent at the moment. (busy finishing something off)?

    There are other benefits though, like instant local Covid updates, local traffic & weather news if I want, watching the SpaceX splashdown without constant cuts by newscasters, my following links to calming YouTube videos of a farmer with her sheep and dogs, giving my own (polite) opinion on politics without moderation by the newspaper mods. and following all the animals about! ....And you have the lovely options of blocking or muting people if you don't like them without them knowing. I don't use Facebook though. :D
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 127 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I never like the joke in patch notes either, it sounded so cringy.

    I do agree though the recent patches are somewhat dissapointing especially the Spring Cleaning patch where the said it's the most complete bug fix patch they ever done while it actually only fix and handful of minor bugs and they took a really long time fixing the major bug (vampire power/weakness - since get famous only to be fixed a year later), regardless some people would still complain whether there will be patch or not.

    I agree with you, they should try to at least include known issue that they are looking into in the patches so we get at least reassurance that they are going to fix the aforementioned issues such as this for example:
    Known Issues
    Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
    Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.02 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
    Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
    Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
    Some players with a non-Latin-1 codepage may have had their save games missing after Patch 1.01; we have a script that can help relocate the missing save games. Please reach out to our team here using “Report Other Issue” for support.
    We're aware of and continue to investigate issues on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!


    Patch Notes
    Crash Fixes
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during their first game boot when the ‘game optimization’ screen is active and they ran out of disc space.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash if they updated their video drivers after the game was already optimized previously.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay because of memory incorrectly being overwritten.
    Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay due to a texture unstreaming bug.

    I agree with this, and this thread we need more communication with players.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 4,271 Member
    adduapina wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I agree.

    Some things that I would like to see:
    • More developers posting updates on Answer HQ, not just crinrict (who is not a developer). Especially the Bug Reports section. Post updates when you have discovered what you think could be the issue, that they have managed to reproduce the issue, and when they have found a solution. Have a status that is called [Included in the next patch] or something.
    • Patch notes should refer to the main posts from Answer HQ. Sims stealing sinks and tables from community lots was named [ECO] Objects disappear from lots/ NPC Stealing (with and without N.A.P) at Answer HQ and in the patch notes they did not even mention NAPs, they posted that "sims stole objects from Lots without having the Kleptomaniac Trait" no one knows if the actual problem is even fixed or not. Is it by design? Is it a tuning issue? Are the buffs and the traits working as intended?
    I understand that bug fixing is difficult, but this should be possible to do.

    @logion Absolutely second this.
    Also I think Crinrict should have a statue in front of EA headquarters.

    :D lol this made me laugh. But on a serious note I agree, they owe Crinrict big time, maybe they should employ them.

    Also agree with your original post, it really would be nice for them to communicate more when it comes to bugs (also for them to do more bug fixing but that's a matter for another thread...)
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 759 Member
    I agree - when I’m reading patch notes, I’m in NO MOOD to decipher a play-on-words they threw in there for fun. It also feels like they’re trying to hide what little is being done. This has always bothered me. I think I’ve laughed at a patch note once over all these years, cause they’re just not funny.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 5,495 Member
    edited August 20
    It might be a good idea for SimGuruNIck and Arvin? to summarise the bugs they have been notified of and working on more frequently as I showed at the second post on here. There is always someone on Twitter who can repost them here.

    Otherwise Simmers get a bit frustrated they are not being heard.

    PS: I quite like the humour in the Patch posts. I suppose I must share that type. Is it because I'm British or because I'm old? ;):)
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 4,271 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    It might be a good idea for SimGuruNIck and Arvin? to summarise the bugs they have been notified of and working on more frequently as I showed at the second post on here. There is always someone on Twitter who can repost them here.

    Otherwise Simmers get a bit frustrated they are not being heard.

    PS: I quite like the humour in the Patch posts. I suppose I must share that type. Is it because I'm British or because I'm old? ;):)

    @Simburian I quite like the humour too. I'm youngish (22) so I wouldn't say it is because you are 'old' but I am English so it could be the British thing ;)
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 37 Member
    adduapina wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I agree.

    Some things that I would like to see:
    • More developers posting updates on Answer HQ, not just crinrict (who is not a developer). Especially the Bug Reports section. Post updates when you have discovered what you think could be the issue, that they have managed to reproduce the issue, and when they have found a solution. Have a status that is called [Included in the next patch] or something.
    • Patch notes should refer to the main posts from Answer HQ. Sims stealing sinks and tables from community lots was named [ECO] Objects disappear from lots/ NPC Stealing (with and without N.A.P) at Answer HQ and in the patch notes they did not even mention NAPs, they posted that "sims stole objects from Lots without having the Kleptomaniac Trait" no one knows if the actual problem is even fixed or not. Is it by design? Is it a tuning issue? Are the buffs and the traits working as intended?
    I understand that bug fixing is difficult, but this should be possible to do.

    @logion Absolutely second this.
    Also I think Crinrict should have a statue in front of EA headquarters.

    If it were not for Crinrict, I probably would have stopped playing the Sims at TS2. Crinrict definitely needs greater acknowledgement from EA/Maxis. I know all of us players are so appreciative and frankly, in awe of Crinrict.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    I am happy for the open letter we got today. It's a start, but I really hope they'll step up with communicating about bugs also. :/
    origin ID: adduapina
  • LilUnicornAmaltheaLilUnicornAmalthea Posts: 23 Member
    I agree. I am weary to believe this statement since they kinda already said this in the past and didn't deliver.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I used to love the jokes, I have quite a love for cheesy jokes, but around the same time but before, whenever that patch came out that broke gardening, i lost my laugh at them too. I love this game, and I really need to be able to play it. I use it for my outlet, and wgen so many things that affect me being able to play dont work, then its not fun anymore. I loved how OP stated this.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 47 Member
    The jokes are a long standing tradition in patch notes, but I feel like the Gurus aren't as open or transparent as they used to be. Maybe I am remembering things wrong, but the original Gurus were very active on the old forums and kept us in the loop more. Didn't they used to tell us exactly what they were working on in their updates and videos? Am I wrong about that? All I know is that I no longer feel like the Gurus are part of our community and vice versa. There is more of an us vs. them dynamic now. I miss the live chats they used to host.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    I wouldn't mind at all the jokes if the bugs would be addressed properly. By proper I mean that there would be actual fixes instead of some graphic glitches on some trees in one neighbourhood and if they could add the part whre they could - even jokingly - let us know that they are aware that the plants have been acting bizarrely and there seems to be issues of sims not being able to complete watching a movie etc.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 768 Member
    I agree completely with all that is said in this thread (am on both sides on the jokey patch notes).

    I do think though, that instead of idealizing a player, because that is what crinrict is, you could all set that awe in motion and try to do what she does.

    Read the bug forum; try to ascertain what happened in game for the player reporting the bug; try to replicate the process; describe it clearly in the thread.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 603 Member
    @Auroraskies I could not do what Crinrict does, and I assume many of us could not either or haven't got the time, basically a lot of us like to spend more time playing, unfortunately we have to pop round the forums to find out if the bugs we reported over two months ago have been fixed. (And NO they haven't}.
    So I vote for the Statue dedicated to Crinrict in front of EA Headquarters... far more deserving than many other real life statues adorning our planet.
    I also believe they are older bugs than the ones I reported still floating around. They will soon qualify for a pension! (Cheese humour :# )
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 768 Member
    Yes, time is an issue for everyone. It is a friendly suggestion and the emphasis is on try. Voting for a statue does not exclude trying to walk in its footstep (or something). But yes, anyone can do what crinrict has done.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    I agree completely with all that is said in this thread (am on both sides on the jokey patch notes).

    I do think though, that instead of idealizing a player, because that is what crinrict is, you could all set that awe in motion and try to do what she does.

    Read the bug forum; try to ascertain what happened in game for the player reporting the bug; try to replicate the process; describe it clearly in the thread.

    @Auroraskies

    Good advice on AHQ part, no doubt. I wish people would be more active around there, maybe then EA would actually have to address not only the bugs but also the management of the AHQ Forums better.

    The problem with your argument is only that crinrict is not "just a player" but a volunteer who does a lot of work for EA that they should be doing themselves. I am idealizing her because of her commitment to help us players though she doesn't work for the gaming company at all. I don't see anything wrong with idealizing that.

    I personally have been quite active on the AHQ through the years and am trying to do my best on reporting the bugs. Sadly I do not understand a lot about how games actually work and therefore I can only share what I observe on the game but no real idea ever on why or how is something broken. Crinrict and also other AHQ actives (champions and heroes mostly) have some deeper understanding on the bug issues and so their input is more valuable than mine.

    But you're right, we can all do something at least: everyone is able to click "me too" if nothing else:)

    Still I wish that the main point of this thread would be heard and we would get patch notes that would let us know the people actually working for EA and in The Sims team are aware of the reported issues and working on them.

    The statue for Crin is not mandatory ;)
    origin ID: adduapina
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 768 Member
    Oh, but that is what I mean with player - not a part of The Sims Team, not hired by EA (I think); and therefore not initially in a more favourable position than any other of that kind. It’s a word chosen for encouragement; not diminishing.

    I guess my advise originates in partly that I don't understand the reason for idealizing anything without the wish to in some way relate it to oneself and action taken; but mostly because I agree on the effort being made on AHQ in favour of issues, that in some way plagues all of us playing the game - and reading the forums appearantly very much so - that is done, efficiently, by very few players, while the rest seem to think it is enough to scream the internet down.
    Surely that could have an effect in which bugs are being adressed, but for me it just seems like putting someone on a piedestal without doing what is admired, is leaving to them what could be done on ones own account as well.

    But, yes, sorry for derailing; part of my initial will to post was to suggest to take it to AHQ for the original matter of this thread; they have a Feedback section there as well - and I very much would like the suggestion of patch notes to reflect the bug reports there. As of now it seems like the guesses of what is fixed each time, are made, and tested, by the few players active in the bug section, and their network.
    While there are a few skillful players posting there, being able to read the files, I don’t agree that most heroes and champions have a deeper understanding of the game - that is something that comes from continually trying to understand - and everyone can test, it’s just playing the game - and the titles are afforded based on presence, not inherently knowledge.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 535 Member
    @Auroraskies

    I am confused.. at some point at least the AHQs Feedback forum link was directed here... or am I being mistaken? :open_mouth: Now that I checked, there is a forum for feedback. I have ignored that part of AHQ totally cos I really remember that it would just direct you in here.. Lol. How can I be this dumb :,D
    Thanks for teaching me something new today and yes, I'll take this post to AHQs feedback section now as well <3

    This might sound nitpicking but I must say that I didn't say at any point that all or even most champions/heroes have a deeper understanding of the game if you read that carefully. I was pointing out that there are people with more insight on the game than me and their input is more valuable and that many of them hold the title of a champion/hero :) English isn't my native language so I'm sorry if that came out wrong.
    I am on the edge of acquiring the guide status myself which seems super weird since I have never been able to help anyone in AHQ at all - just reporting and metooing. So can confirm the titles being given by precence lol.

    And as I stated above, I am very much trying to "take action" and do the best I can in my part as a player reporting the bugs I come across while playing. I am trying my best on following the example of Crinrict and many others in the Bug reports forum.

    I totally agree with you on the part with people ranting about bugs on this forum and not take the issues to AHQ where they should be. If someone just wants to let out some bad vibes about how the game is being treated, that's fine, but if they want a fix then they should follow the directions given to us many times: go to AHQ, Me Too or Report it and as you said, with as much info you can give :>

    That's what I wish in return also from TS team: to give us as much info as they can on issues they've been able to reproduce and that they are working on to fix!
    origin ID: adduapina
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 603 Member
    @adduapina I have now put my "Me too" under your post at AHQ. I did too put my Me Too at another AHQ post back in June when the (gardening) bug was first found. I have mentioned it and complained on You Tube too. I just don't know what else to do. Gardening is very important in my game and I am more tnan annoyed that this has not been fixed. It is not because we players aren't doing our bit to let them know, it is because THEY don't want to know!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top