Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hair Swatches

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
edited August 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I know this has been said time and time before but we really need new hair swatches. I'm so tired of having to choose between cheese or bleached if I want a blonde haired sim. Same issue with brown hair, one brown is too dark and the other is too light and too red toned. We need more variety!

I don't really understand why there's 3 red swatches which have very small differences between them, yet we get a grand total of two brown swatches when brown is a much more common hair colour. It's just bad, we really need more :s

Here's a graphic I made with some possible swatches they could add to the hairs so pretty much every shade is included
sNBUPUV.png

Also the black swatch, why is it so blue? :|
ACRRiiZ.png

I get that making new swatches isn't the easiest this late on but if they were to create a colour preset they could literally just take the files of the existing blonde swatches and apply the preset to all of them, and bam you have an entirely new swatch for every hair. If they were to do it this way from what I understand it really wouldn't be that hard. The swatch colour files already exist for every hair, just down the brightness and adjust the levels and you get a completely different hair colour.

Comments

• DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I love this idea, I also want more custom hair tones!
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I like the original black swatch. The "actual black" looks dark brown to me.

Though I agree we desperately need more swatches. DESPERATELY. I am tired of the same colors.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I agree, it’s disappointing how few hair color options we have. The Sims is not the type of game that ought to be limited as far as character customization goes. It’s understandable in games where creating your character isn’t a focus, but CAS is one of the main gameplay areas of The Sims, alongside live mode and build/buy.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    It just bothers me that each hairstyle looks like it's under different lighting or is made of different material. Even though they're all under the same lighting, and supposedly the same hair swatch. :\

If we want all of the one light blond swatch to have the same tone, then so long as it's consistent across the hairstyles, then OK. But it's ridiculous that some hairstyles within the same swatch are darker/lighter than others, or more/less reflective, and tinted differently — for example, yes, blue. Just my opinion.

Your "actual black" picture looks fantastic. Yes, please. ♥
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Exactly the hair color options we have are pathetic fine they did not like color wheel but to leave us with not even the basics like dark brown, light brown or dirty blond hair and the many shades in-between you listed I truly don't know how people not on pc play it without the cc options.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CAMFAM2018CAMFAM2018 Posts: 23 Member
    I definitely agree that more hair swatches are necessary! Even for colors like purple, because sometimes I want a violet purple! Yet, the only options I have are pale lavender and royal blue! Even if I go for an ombré or hair style with some darker/lighter colors thrown in there, I usually cannot find the distinct color I desire! :(
    😻CAMFAM2018
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I agree that we need more naturals. The blonde swatch example that you created looks great.
    I would definitely like a couple of additional black, dark brown and even greying options. At least 3 or 4 of each with different undertones.

OT, but I’d also like to see different versions of the same haircut. My male sims usually have longer hair, however a version of that same length of hair put in a bun, combed to the side etc. often does not exist. Those hairstyles are either too short or too long.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I just bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 and they offer better hair color customization than Maxis do.

NbHqCXE.png
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    All the new hair swatches in the world won't help if there are still color swatches that aren't available for Toddlers and Children. They need more color options for all ages, but they also need an option for dyed and natural hair colors so those of us who actually want the freedom to have whole lineages of sims with technicolor hair don't have to suffer because of the people who just want plain black, brown, red, and blonde hair for inherited hair colors on their sims. It's especially annoying with aliens. I can have an alien sim and a human sim have kids that come out with purple skin...but not pink hair. Yeah, pretty frustrating...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    All the new hair swatches in the world won't help if there are still color swatches that aren't available for Toddlers and Children. They need more color options for all ages, but they also need an option for dyed and natural hair colors so those of us who actually want the freedom to have whole lineages of sims with technicolor hair don't have to suffer because of the people who just want plain black, brown, red, and blonde hair for inherited hair colors on their sims. It's especially annoying with aliens. I can have an alien sim and a human sim have kids that come out with purple skin...but not pink hair. Yeah, pretty frustrating...

Yeah, I have that issue too if I want to make elves with unnatural hair colours or even Targaryens with "silver" hair.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I want more swatches too !! And I hope they fix the lightest blonde swatch that's unusable with some hairs :

Nl62pOs.png
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I am all for expanded swatches for the hairs, especially if they include the "going gray" hairs too. It's always bothered me that there are only two options for the "salt and pepper" look. The game has needed this for a long time, as well as other CAS items that it's lacking in.