Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you rather be able to freely travel to any world, or create your own worlds in the Sims 5?

Would you rather be able to travel to any world from any other world and make due with just what EA gives us, like in the Sims 4, or would you rather your sims be confined to just a limited number of worlds like in the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 and be able to create your own worlds, and have infinite variety because of all of the custom worlds you'd be able to choose from? EA maybe worried about file sizes getting too big if they give us a world creation tool for the Sims 4, since potentially every single world could be in a single saved game file, and it would just get too big, and become unmanageable. For purposes of this discussion, pretend that mods do not exist. Not everyone feels comfortable using mods and they don't always work.

Comments

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Between those 2, I prefer the option to create my own world. It's more creative & interesting in comparison to have an option to travel freely within the existing worlds.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Freely travel. I just like to play with with the Sims... The actual setting up and creating worlds doesn't interest me much and I don't need large worlds.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Freely travel to every world. I don't want to be stuck in one world like in TS3 or TS2.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    @PlayerSinger2010 Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you create the travel destinations and subhoods in the Sims 2, unlike the Sims 3?
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I want both.

It's a $700-$900 game.... I don't want to settle for just one or the other. I expect to be able to have both things, and then some.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
    I want both.

It's a $700-$900 game.... I don't want to settle for just one or the other. I expect to be able to have both things, and then some.

But sadly, that's not realistic. EA has to worry about things like file size, and people getting upset when the game they create crashes because its too big.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Why must I choose?
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Why must I choose?
    Because getting both is not a realistic option?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    @PlayerSinger2010 Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you create the travel destinations and subhoods in the Sims 2, unlike the Sims 3?

Not the same thing.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Both. This is the future after all.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2020
    I’d rather freely travel between worlds. It would be extremely limiting to be restricted to one world. Plus, I don’t have the time/creative energy to create an entire world on my own. And using worlds made by other players would be just like downloading lots from the gallery, where I’m deleting half the furniture/decor in the house because it’s too crowded for my taste.

Really, though, we should get both options.
    I don’t expect TS5 to live up to some of the super high expectations I’ve seen people have. But I don’t think we should lower our expectations too much and give EA a pass to make another game that’s lacking many features.
    Post edited by pinneduphair on

The point is that that may not be possible. EA had a good reason why they didn't let us travel between worlds in the Sims 3. Like I said before they were worried about file size getting too big. We are also talking about the relatively near future, not some distant future. If the Sims 5 comes out, most likely it will be years, not even decades from now, so they will probably still have to deal with some of the same technological limitations, so it might still be an either or question.
    edited August 2020

Not the same thing.

Still a bit better than the Sims 3 if you ask me, at least in that regard.
    Why must I choose?

Says who? Sky’s the limit

The point is that that may not be possible. EA had a good reason why they didn't let us travel between worlds in the Sims 3. Like I said before they were worried about file size getting too big. We are also talking about the relatively near future, not some distant future. If the Sims 5 comes out, most likely it will be years, not even decades from now, so they will probably still have to deal with some of the same technological limitations, so it might still be an either or question.

The Sims 4 was made for lo-spec machines. If the next iteration will have slightly more demanding system requirements I imagine both features could work. Even just with open and customizable districts, rather than full worlds. This means there is only a loading screen for when you travel to a different district or world. The rest is fully open.

Free world travel is a great asset in TS4 and should not be sacrificed. But a more open world shouldn't either.
    I did a lot of world building in TS3 and so did many other people. For builders there should be more options in TS5. They don't need to be restricted by pre-sized lots and a pre-made environment.

I believe any future title should at least meet in the middle.
    edited August 2020
    Why must I choose?

So you wouldn't surprised if someone made a real life Holodeck tomorrow? Just because we may want something doesn't mean that it will be possible, or if it is possible to happen some day, that still doesn't mean that it will be possible within the next ten years or whenever the Sims 5 comes out. We still haven't gotten an official world creation tool for the Sims 4 and there's probably a very good reason for that, because I think its safe to say that most people who play the Sims 4 want one. If they don't create worlds themselves, I would be willing to bet that they would still like to be able to download custom worlds that other people have made, using it.
    Why must I choose?

So you wouldn't surprised if someone made a real life Holodeck tomorrow? Just because we may want something doesn't mean that it will be possible, or if it is possible to happen some day, that still doesn't mean that it will be possible within the next ten years or whenever the Sims 5 comes out. We still haven't gotten an official world creation tool for the Sims 4 and there's probably a very good reason for that, because I think its safe to say that most people who play the Sims 4 want one. If they don't create worlds themselves, I would be willing to bet that they would still like to be able to download custom worlds that other people have made, using it.

I would like to be able to freely travel to any world and also have the ability to create my own world and download the worlds of others.
    I would like to be able to freely travel to any world and also have the ability to create my own world and download the worlds of others.

So would I, but the point is that that may not still be possible as far as EA is concerned when the Sims 5 is nearing completion and almost ready to be release to the general public, so it may still be a question of either or, not and or. That is why I phrased the question the way that I did.

Why must I choose?

So you wouldn't surprised if someone made a real life Holodeck tomorrow?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Science and Technology is way ahead of us. Some stuff exist long before it becomes available to us. A new thing to us is an old thing to a developer. They only just get to sell it to us now.

A concept like 'touchscreen' was suddenly a reality.
    A concept like 'holodeck' is already available. The only thing that keeps us and the holo world separate at the moment is the VR headset.
    Give it a few years and we'll have our own Enterprise. :)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    If I have to choose, I'd like the option to create my own world.

Like everyone else though, I'd like to have both options next iteration.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I would like something in between those two options. I think the size of Sims4 (basegame) worlds are fine but what really bothers me are all the background buildings. Get famous is a prime example, a totally useless world in my opinion. Right next to the buildable lots are some premade ones which means you're stuck building something similar to what's already there. I would like to create my own world in a backdrop that suggests where it is. In that respect I like Sims3 so much better. However, I do like that we can travel and move from one world to another, buying worlds for Sims3 was useless unless you wanted to create a new save. In Sims4 I also dislike how the premade Sims show up everywhere!
    My dream game would be an open world with different "neighborhoods" - one country, one city one beach etc. and we could travel in between.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Definitely create my own world. I don’t want an open world, but I’d love more control over the look of my worlds.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • CAMFAM2018CAMFAM2018 Posts: 23 Member
    This is tough, because although I WOULD like more control over the design and organization of some of the existing worlds and/or my own world, if possible, it does seem like a LOT of more hassle than I'd be willing. However, it would be more probable for bugs and crashes if the game were open for free-roaming. So, I guess I'm simply satisfied with how things are now! :|
    😻CAMFAM2018
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    No question I'd gladly give up all the worlds we have now for a Sim 2 system with multiple linked neighborhoods and I actually hate the worlds we have now so there's that. I really never had a issue in Sims 2 since I created worlds of my own with around 90-150 lots if not more probably more and you could travel between them. My city was huge and had more lots taken as waterfront promenades then lots we get in worlds total now I had more than enough space and it was so much fun making it my own. Oh the days you could make gas stations, clubs, bars, banks, parks, churches, grave yards, car lots, restaurants, multiple types of retail, salons, grocery stores and so on and still be able to create Sims to live in that world because the worlds were huge.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I am not one of the devs so i clearly dont know why they omitted the world tool but here is my guess, i think we cant create our own worlds because i feel that in ts4 the backdrops are very detailed and complex so we cant really make them, and even if we had pre-made ones it seems like placing them ourselves would be also hard. I am perfectly fine with not having the tools for building my own worlds from scratch because i literaly never made one before in the previous games, but i did edit worlds a lot, adding lots and such, so i want this back. To summerize, i would take moving freely over a world creation tool as long as i can edit them, that feels like a basic thing to ask for and it should be included in the next game.