Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have a dream, Sims 3 Edition

So, I came back to The Sims 3 from an extended break yesterday. Part of that break was due to the fact that towards the end of April I got myself an Oculus Quest VR headset. Then in early May I got a USB-C 3.0 cable that would let me use it for PCVR too. I've been playing many different types of VR games. From Escape Room/Puzzle Adventure games to Beat Saber, and a wide range in between. Shooters, oh gods are shooters great when it's actually you doing the aiming. Tetris, yeah Tetris Effect is just as amazing in VR as it is normally. Maybe more amazing. 3rd Person Platformers are so much more immersive. Strategy games? Again so immersive. Horror, farming, even just watching classic Doctor Who in VR is amazing... in part due to the fact you can watch it with other fans from around the world... without being at risk of infection. And playing 'pancake' games (as they are affectionately being called by VR enthusiasts) in VR by having it projected on a massive screen (I favor cinema screens) is great.

But my newfound love of VR has given me a Dream. It's unrealistic and I doubt it'll ever happen. But hear me out. Imagine, you start up The Sims 3, create your new sim, and select a town, and chose your initial home. Then instead of a 3rd party perspective as if you're some omnipotent being you are the sim. Instead of Simlish the sims speak English, or whatever your language of choice is. Instead of observing from the outside, you are experiencing your sim's life. You decide what to cook, and when. Sure the game has background mechanics that decide if you start a fire or burn your food, with such risks going down as your sim's skill at cooking increases. Or other sims are more likely to find you boorish and insulting when you stumble over words if your sim's Charisma skill is low. But it's you doing things, not an AI. You get to explore the world of The Sims 3, and not from a top down outside observer perspective. You get to chat up Bella Goth, not just watch your sim do so. Ever wonder what those funny stories or ghost stories sims tell actually are? Now you can hear them for yourself. If your sim becomes an international superspy, it's not just a rabbithole job title, you get to actually experience the thrilling adventures your sim is going through while on the clock because you are actually on the adventure. Of course, this would ideally be optional, so that if desired you could have things 'fade to black' and skip ahead to getting off work instead of going through the tedium of filing paperwork for eight hours.

I know this is unrealistic. I know it's never going to happen, at least not with The Sims 3. If a The Sims VR game like this did get made, you know I'd at least have to check it out. But still, I can dream. And I thought I'd share this dream with you, my fellow simmers.
Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.

Comments

• Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    There is a way, I believe, to get that experience (or at least more similar than Sims 3 could be) for the original Sims game with a mod or something. I think user onlyobidoang on YouTube has a video about it. And if you want to get the original Sims game, it's available on OldGamesDownload.com. (It's a completely safe site. I've downloaded several games off of it and never had an issue. It's filled with abandoned games to get for free.)
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Personally, I'd most look forward to the part where I'd get to hit a computer with a hammer for half an hour and then find that it's magically fixed.
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    As I said, I realize it's never going to happen. But just imagine it... How glorious would such a thing be? Okay, yes, you'd just be going into a VR simulation of living a normal everyday life. And sure it wouldn't be idea unless full immersion dives such as in anime/manga were possible. But isn't that what The Sims already is? Yet it pulls us in so completely. We guide our families through the generations in their normal everyday lives. It's the simple pleasures of seeing the children earning good grades, graduating with honors (or not), the everyday joy of having a fulfilling career. Of finding that special one and falling in love. These are the things that make The Sims 3 so endearing and enduring. Yeah, sims can be hilarious to watch. But it's their everyday triumphs and tragedies that we play to experience. And I would love to explore Midnight Hollow or any of my other Towns on foot rather then viewed remotely from above. I want to be a part of these families rather then just watching them.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Personally, I'd most look forward to the part where I'd get to hit a computer with a hammer for half an hour and then find that it's magically fixed.
    I do this all the time, have been for years, and it does seem to help. On my head when it's not working right I mean, not on poor defenseless computers. Anyway, it doesn't seem to make things worse ranch dressing to the equine vacuum cleaners on magazine subscriptions and I demand to speak with the manager!

...wait, what were we talking about again? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    LOL! That's hilarious @igazor! What features would you want to see in a The Sims VR game?
  • Options
    @Faerie197 - I was going to avoid answering that question because I don't think it applies to me and my approach to the game. When I play I do become temporarily engaged in the lives of whichever household I have active and often develop some affection for them, but most of the time I see my role as the one who watches over them and much of the town they live in, providing guidance and correcting that which needs to be corrected from "afar." I do not wish to be one of them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    So, multiple modes to suit different play styles. Good to know. :D

Maybe one day VR will progress to the point where eating food in-game actually can provide nourishment to you out of the game. Doubtful, but who knows. It's an exciting technology. Games such as Dino Frontier show that it's possible to have a Sims style game in VR.As such I could see having a "be the sim" mode as well as an "outside observing power" mode. It'd be neat IMO for construction to take time, and require sims to work on the project. You know, instead of you just pay the cash and POOF the walls, floor, ceiling, and furniture appear as if by magic.
  • Options
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Maybe one day VR will progress to the point where eating food in-game actually can provide nourishment to you out of the game.
    We're talking about a digital species here who smack their lips and make yummy! sounds over such dishes as Goopy Carbonara and Stu Surprise. Furthermore, they think that fried eggs with watermelon slices are the height of gourmet cuisine, or worthy only of Level 7 cooks anyway, and some think that it's perfectly acceptable to live off of what a food synthesizer produces. No thanks, I'll just bring my own food along.

I shouldn't sound so closed-minded. Maybe this would be an opportunity to teach our digital friends that there is always a better way to nourish themselves, even if one is starving to death at the time. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    igazor wrote: »
    I do this all the time, have been for years, and it does seem to help. On my head when it's not working right I mean, not on poor defenseless computers. Anyway, it doesn't seem to make things worse ranch dressing to the equine vacuum cleaners on magazine subscriptions and I demand to speak with the manager!

Hang on, are you saying the proper technique for fixing computer issues is to smack a person upside the head with a hammer, not the computer itself? I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

Also, using a hammer rather than my hand would really save me some significant wear and tear.
  • Options

Hang on, are you saying the proper technique for fixing computer issues is to smack a person upside the head with a hammer, not the computer itself? I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

Also, using a hammer rather than my hand would really save me some significant wear and tear.

With some people, yeah it could be. I use to know someone who thought you power cycle the modem by going outside, doing something (cable repairman had no idea what he was doing) to the cable where it enters the house, then coming inside and plugging the modem back in. According to him, if you didn't do that 'whatever' to the cable, the modem would break and be incapable of reconnecting to the internet. He'd had how to power cycle the modem explained to him many many times. He also would turn off Windows Update because he heard once back in the 90's that there's a computer virus that pretends to be a Windows Update. Oh, and anti-virus software would get uninstalled because it's advertising the paid version when it updates definitions. Thus 'clearly' a virus.

I knew someone else who managed to open Notepad for taking notes on something, and somehow killed Windows XP to the point where I had to do a clean install of his OS from disk.
  • Options
    I seem to have walked into an ambiguous pronoun trap of my own making here...
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    That's a neat idea, and I think it could be done for a future open world Sims game. The game is 3D already, so it should be possible to make a game that can be played like a normal Sims game or played with a VR headset if one wants to do that.

I have experimented with making 3D pics from screenshots. :smile:

AoFY0AK.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options

In fairness, how often does it turn out that a computer issue really an issue with the user and not the computer? Some days it seems like all. the. time.

Also, the concept might be effectively indistinguishable if the person in question is a Simbot. Just saying.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited August 2020

I tried that with a baseball bat... it didn't work out too well...

...for the computer.

@igazor - I'd really miss making my ethnic dishes...without having to shell out money to get a teppanyaki grill. Heck, I can make teppanyaki on the stove.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited August 2020

In fairness, how often does it turn out that a computer issue really an issue with the user and not the computer? Some days it seems like all. the. time.

My son, who used to do computer repairs before he got his degree in software engineering and became an android programmer instead, would definitely agree with you about that. Even when he did actually have to fix something, it was often the result of the user's not knowing what they were doing.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I've heard of a few horror stories too. And seen one myself. Such as an plum who seriously took his laptop into the shower with him so he could keep working while taking a shower. Or someone using their desktop's disk drive tray as a cup holder. Or the person who arrived in Best Buy just before me, and had filled their desktop's casing with ice cream to keep it cool, because they thought it was getting too hot due to the back expelling warm air.