Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blatant racism vs Covert Racism that sadly and upsetting seems to exist in the sims

Now that I got your attention. I hope that you are all listening and paying attention to this. I hope it makes The Influencers really think about this and use their powers to address this issue in the sims. First I want to apologize if I manage to offend or insult any of you. That is not my intent.

Both covert racism and blatant racism to me are equally unjust depressing, insulting and offensive to me. Both really need to addressed and acknowledged. I will try not to stir up too much trouble and avoid starting a riot. I will do my best to word my feelings without sounding too (bleep)

Let me start with I don't know any of you and I'm not calling anybody racist. I honestly don't believe that at all. Maybe unaware and because of being unaware, you don't realize this at all. I'm here to open eyes and hopefully minds along the way.

First, let me start with my opinion on the lack of skin tones, lack of 4c and 3c hairstyles and hair colours as being a form of covert racism. This they say they are finally working on and I can't express that finally and I am very grateful for this. It's about time. We really need this.

However, it's a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Unknown to the white Game Changers and White Influencers in the community some races are absent from Sims 4. While they were crusading against the lack of skin tones and the need to fix skintones for minorities and focusing on the lack of hairstyles for minorities and different hair colours missing in the game. They all failed to mention how some races don't exist at all. Not because of lack of skintones or lack of hairstyles or even lack of hair colours. If that was the case I wouldn't be creating this thread. They failed to mention in order to create a Native American or Canada's First People or other races that simply don't exist unless you aren't opposed to using custom presets, custom sliders or don't mind spending extra time in CAS attempting to create the non-existent race in question. No race should be left out all.

I repeat some races don't exist at all. This I interpret as blatant racism. Now I could be totally wrong and simply be misinterpreting something.

It's not from lack of skin tones. It's not from lack of hairstyles and hair colours. I honestly wish it was.

It's from ZERO yes I said ZERO presets existing in eyes, noses, lips, cheeks, and heads to create that race in the sims 4 at all. I have to use custom head presets and use custom sliders to create a Native American sim. I shouldn't have to. This should already exist in the base game. It does not. As ok as I am with this being the case I'm not ok with the seeming blatant racism and injustice of it. If that makes any sense at all.

Imagine if you will if the worst thing I could complain about was not the right hairstyle or the right skin colour or right hair colour. I could completely celebrate with this victory. I would truly be thrilled that finally, I might have some decent hair skin tones and hair colours for my race. That would be a glorious day. Yay!

However, this is truly a double-edged sword and what I interpret as blatant racism still exists and that is a serious issue that skin tones hairstyles and hair colours cannot and never will fix.

Now to explain software used in the industry and how simple it is to remedy this. I know in the modding and CC Community Blender is the programme often used.

However, Daz Studio, Poser, 3ds Max and Maya are amongst the Industry Standards in videogame development. Daz bridges to Maya, Poser, Blender, 3ds Max, Photoshop and other software making it a dream when crunched for time. With Daz, there are People of the World and Faces of the World add on paid content which again saves time in creating a model when crunched for time. Each focusing on a race with over 20 morphs for each individual race. Northern Europeans. Africans. Asians. Native Americans and many more. Daz has every skin tone known to humankind and tons of fantasy skintones I honestly believe. No race is left out or forgotten about saving lots of time in production and instead of a block to face or complete character taking sometimes days to create and render it's cut down to about an hour depending on your computer, you are working on. All because of the Genesis model. Which the original Genesis model that came out many years ago with without set sex or gender making the shaping of the basic model through morphs determines the gender or sex or the character being created. Since then Genesis 8 which is the current Genesis model that is out, comes as both a basic female and basic male model and is even more intuitive to work with. Allowing for past Genesis items from Genesis, Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 to be used with Genesis 8. Depending on their base programme used guaranteed they can use Genesis to cut down on time to create the much-needed race and ethnic presets in the game. The license for Daz isn't that much a year either in comparison to other companies out there.

With that said here is no excuse at all and just do it. There is no reason for any race or ethnic group to not exist at all in the sims.

Please let us work together and make every race count. Please let us work together and make every race exist because in the words of many influencers everyone has the right to create themselves in the sims because the sims slogan is "play with life". When even one race or ethnic group is forgotten or missing we cannot have true diversity. Please don't support blatant racism. Please don't support Covert racism. Every one of you matters whether I like you or not you really do matter. This is something we all need to stand up against. We need to change this.

I really want to be proven wrong. I really want to see Native Americans in the game and say I was wrong in my belief that they will never add this in because taking care of the loudest voice in the room needs to be addressed first rather than fixing the problem of some races and ethnic groups not even existing at all which is just a whisper amongst the shouts being drowned out.

As I said before I would be over the moon if all that needed to be done for creating Native American and other races and ethnic groups that don't even appear in sims was some new skintones new hairstyles and new hair colours. But it's not that easy of a fix to fix this we need a few presets added into the game.

Again I am genuinely happy about more hairstyles more skin tones and more hair colours will be added in. It is about time but there is a lot more work to be done. End all racism and discrimination in the sims. One victory is better than zero victories. I'll be happy with that one victory.

Please if you respond stay on topic and don't change it. I'm not happy about discrimination against the disabled in the community either and want disabilities in the game too. Please don't hijack the thread with that. This thread is to address both covert and blatant racism as it exists in the game. It's to comment on ethnic and race discrimination as it appears in the game. It's to comment on joy about adding in new skintones fixing existing skin tones adding in hair colours and hairstyles. It's to address the fact that some races and ethnicities don't exist through any presets and that we need to use custom presets and spend more time in CAS by adjusting our sims features to get the basic face of a missing non-existent forgotten race or ethnicity in the sims. It's to discuss the injustice of racism as it seems to appear in the game. It's to discuss what we need to do as a community to fix this.

I apologize if I came across as harsh and insensitive to any of you. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. Stay safe and healthy everyone.
Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    Idk if they will ever include sims with dissablities or handicaps. The community seems divided on that. Theyd also be over religions too. Id like to see more tools and features that allow you to design your own or create something that looks similiar to mine irl but it doesnt exist in the game although religion as a full feature has been in previous game (medieval) and bits and pieces in the current (yoga, muslim clothing, holiday objects etc). My religion is the biggest aspect in my life and the best i can do in my game is roleplay it exsists.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I think that the devs keep forgetting the Natives.
    However that bringing said, bravo to the:
    Towel Dress (S D)
    Straight Long with feathers hairstyle (E L)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The only thing that would represent any race on earth in the Sims games would be an enormously expensive CAS tool so that you could pull, push, elongate every feature to one that would suit you face tints, scars, tatoos and all. It would make tremendous demands on a computer and I doubt if this iteration could manage it.

None of the faces given in the existing game looks anything like me or my family so I push, pull the existing features to something like but hate to put my life in the game as I am superstitious about it and immersing myself so deeply as to put my own life in the game would be mentally damaging to me personally.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    The only thing that would represent any race on earth in the Sims games would be an enormously expensive CAS tool so that you could pull, push, elongate every feature to one that would suit you face tints, scars, tatoos and all. It would make tremendous demands on a computer and I doubt if this iteration could manage it.

None of the faces given in the existing game looks anything like me or my family so I push, pull the existing features to something like but hate to put my life in the game as I am superstitious about it and immersing myself so deeply as to put my own life in the game would be mentally damaging to me personally.

Folks may have to run their game on something other than a mini fridge, but I think it's very much possible for a Sims game to have a more advanced CAS tool. It doesn't have to be expensive.

With all the mod sliders and CC skin tones and overlays I use in game, (I use about every slider I can get my hands on) I manage to get very close to creating sims of any ethnicity. My machine has no problem with performance. My CAS is a bit of a mess, because of the way it's designed right now, but other than that, there's no problem.
    I believe if CAS combined features from the Create a Pet Tool, we'd be able to spray on freckles, acne, vitiligo, moles, tattoos, scars, etc.
    I'm still confused as to why that hasn't happened yet...
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    You are definitely right.

It seems that society views diversity=black, and kind of forgets that other minorities or PoC exist. If they really care about diversity, they would champion adding customisation that extends beyond black aesthetics
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    My question is this, which Native American Nation does EA/Maxis plan to speak with to make sure Indian (actual nations) are represented and not stereotyped with feathers in their hair etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2020
    You can literally make your sim look like ANYTHING YOU WANT. It doesn't even have to be human.
    You can't be a dragon and match your boy, Torch. :(
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited August 2020
    They all failed to mention how some races don't exist at all. Not because of lack of skintones or lack of hairstyles or even lack of hair colours. If that was the case I wouldn't be creating this thread. They failed to mention in order to create a Native American or Canada's First People or other races that simply don't exist unless you aren't opposed to using custom presets, custom sliders or don't mind spending extra time in CAS attempting to create the non-existent race in question. No race should be left out all.

I'm not trying to excuse anything, but honestly, to the extent that there may not be presets for some races in the game at all, I imagine that the devs didn't (and still do not) realize this. A lot of people live in isolated communities without any indigenous people and probably do not understand how the current presets can't be used to make them.

It's similar to how a lot of people don't realize that most black people have super curly hair. Some people think that a majority? of black people have straight-ish hair and so they don't really get it when people ask for hairs that are afro-textured because they don't really know what that looks like. So adding hairs was a really big deal and not a matter of style. A lot of CC creators showed EA the way with how to do black hair and skin textures.

So I think that this type of request might be met with non-action partly because people just don't get it. They don't know what you mean by presets not existing. They don't know what indigenous people consider their defining features and even if they Google it, they still might struggle a bit.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    One of the premade females in Willow Creek is supposed to be a native Indian. She came in the base game and has shoulder length hair and a slightly tanned skintone. I can't remember her name.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    One of the premade females in Willow Creek is supposed to be a native Indian. She came in the base game and has shoulder length hair and a slightly tanned skintone. I can't remember her name.

Do you mean Zoe Patel from Oasis Springs? Can't think of anyone else who might fit this description in the base game.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Do you mean Zoe Patel from Oasis Springs? Can't think of anyone else who might fit this description in the base game.

Yes.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    @catloverplayer I think you are talking about the free spirited Liberty Lee in the BFF household.

Also to the op: For this to be blatant racism the creators would have at one point said "we are not doing ...". This means they did this "openly and unashamedly" to exclude certain content. (straight from the dictionary) In CAS this may be very obvious to some players however I do not think it was intentional. It's not IMO offensively noisy. It was not vulgar or done in an offensive manner. I am happy that you pointed this out. I am happy that you voiced your opinion on this matter and backed it up. Your feelings were well spoken and acknowledged. Well done!

I love this game and can't wait to see what is coming this fall!
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I'm not invalidating your feelings and I totally understand where you're coming from but I think this whole 2020 race situation is being blown out of proportion. Possibly from everything going on in the world right now.

I have loved and played games since i was a little child and 90%of games being japanese and me being south Asian I have never once saw a character that looked like or represented me or my color or culture. But over the years I have bonded with those characters I have laughed and cried with them (looking at you FFX and older rpgs) and went on a journey with them because the gameplay and storyline were so deep and meaningful to me. And I was just having mindless fun!!!!

I think for a lot of people it's different because the Sims is fundamentally a very American game even though it tries to be global so for Americans (i.e, black Americans, native Americans, Asian Americans etc.) to be left out from an American game that makes a big deal out of the very American values of diversity and inclusivity, it just feels wrong, especially since the Sims is a life simulator and not an RPG where people tend to play specific characters.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Wow Captain_NXR7, you're like the whole Earth Too cool.
    I'm only part
    English/French/German/Prairie Cree/Scottish.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    I usually don't respond to posts like these but I just want to say that this is GAME. They gave us customization for a REASON. You can literally make your sim look like ANYTHING YOU WANT. It doesn't even have to be human. I don't even use the presents in CAS. I use the same one every time and tweak it until I am happy with the result. The same with bodies. All my sims look very different. I do have a complaint about the sims being all one height per age range. I think they should fix that. But all this talk of skin tones and all that is really getting on my nerves. This is a GAME people. Most of you are way too young to have encountered REAL racism. If you had encountered it in your real life you would realize how spending your time here in GAME chat complaining about racism is really just hurting the real cause. People wont' take you seriously if your only complaint is that your favorite game doesn't have enough skin tones or hair types. That is NOT RACISM.

Take this to twitter and they will be Clenching their Walmart pearls & attacking you for speaking the truth .

😂😂😂
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    A lot of people in this thing are replying to OP like they're experts on racism. Are any of us? It seems like a lot of people think racism has to be truly, actively hateful and antagonizing to be considered racist. That's simply not the case.

So many sweet, kind people have been incredibly racist to me in the most polite way with no hatred in their hearts. But guess what? It's still racism, even when you don't mean it to be.

And, yes, completely omitting certain races, even if it's by accident, or because they thought "we've given them enough tools to do it for themselves" is a racist assumption.

And for the people saying "well they don't have x race for me and I'm fine with it, so why should they have x race for you?" Why shouldn't you have that for yourself? This game has countless additions through patches and dlc. Why shouldn't they continue to add more options? Keep asking for the things you want! All the things!

We live in a racist society. No discussion. Racism is the water we drink and the air we breathe. It seeps into everything, even our entertainment. It's running in the background of everything we do. We are all responsible for unlearning racism, which is something you are never "done" doing, no matter who you are.

I applaud OP for advocating for themselves and people like them. Representation is important.

And I wish the people in here "well actually"-ing all over themselves would maybe try listening for once. It's embarrassing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top