September 18 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

The Lack of Representation of Gay Male Couples is Disappointing

Comments

  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,242 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I didn't even realize that there were more same-sex couples represented beyond the Hecking couple. What packs did the other couples come with? Because to me this is a pleasant surprise. I really thought it was just the Hecking family.

    There are two couples I think in the Eco Living pack. I deleted all the npc, so not sure.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 1
    I agree with the criticism in the OP' post, and thought the same about both the TS3 and TS4 couples. I also enjoyed reading the post, quite entertainingly written. (I have not read the rest of the thread).

    Two points though: lesbians and lesbian couples are less often depicted in media productions than male gays and male gay couples.
    This game is marketed in great extent to young women.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 4,043 Member
    There is a gay male couple in the Seasons gameplay trailer (to illustrate love day).

    I think the main character in the Star Wars trailers is suposed to be lesbian - you briefly see the rainbow flag in her home.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 704 Member
    Yes, I got that impression of the Star Wars trailer as well, and if my young relative were interested in games I would buy it for her for that reason.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited September 2
    Heck yeah, I want some some gay daddies.
    Post edited by Gordy on
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2
    I disagree as well. Sims 4 has been very progressive when it comes to LGBT representation.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 360 Member
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 19,173 Member
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2
    Duvelina wrote: »
    Honestly, I think you've been watching the wrong shows if you're not seeing male gay couples. I just went through all of the shows I've seen and most of them have a variation of a gay character and no, they're not all effeminate. Examples of shows with (minor) gay characters are Skins, Awkward, 90210,The Vampire Diaries, Shadow Hunters, The Originals, Riverdale, The 100, Glee, Grey's Anatomy... These are huge shows. Male gay relationships are really not that underrepresented.

    don't forget Shameless.

    Or the very popular Hbo's Game Of Thrones like with Renly character and tv show,Empire's Jamal character.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 360 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)

    That is good news. Lol, I wonder if it will be included in the pre-pack update. Regardless, can't wait to see what they come up with. Thanks.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)

    That is good news. Lol, I wonder if it will be included in the pre-pack update. Regardless, can't wait to see what they come up with. Thanks.

    Unlikely, as the pre-pack patch will probably drop tomorrow.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 360 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)

    That is good news. Lol, I wonder if it will be included in the pre-pack update. Regardless, can't wait to see what they come up with. Thanks.

    Unlikely, as the pre-pack patch will probably drop tomorrow.

    How do you know?
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)

    That is good news. Lol, I wonder if it will be included in the pre-pack update. Regardless, can't wait to see what they come up with. Thanks.

    Unlikely, as the pre-pack patch will probably drop tomorrow.

    How do you know?

    Patches before packs are usually released on the Thursday before the pack arrives. On the other hand, nothing is forseeable with the Star Wars ...
  • TyrAVBTyrAVB Posts: 19 Member
    I am gay myself and frankly I find this to be a bit too nitpicking. This modern tendency of looking for bizarre small irrelevant details that can be than used to "label something as faulty" reminds me of 5-minutes crafts that "solve" problems that doesn't exits...
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 938 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Make your own families to represent what you want. That is what I do. I only really keep a few select premades that fit how I prefer to play and delete the rest. I make multiple families, especially for my favorite decades' save. The point of this thread was lost, because you can make your own and should not rely on EA to cater to your every desire.

    That is a good point, because I highly doubt the majority of us simmers have actually seen a true, 100% accurate representation of ourselves with these pre-mades in Sims 4. I know I have yet to see any that uniquely represents myself or household, anyway. Thus far, I'm okay with the amount of diversity in the game. Since it has improved, imo. My only gripe would now be a much needed improvement with skin tones across the board.
    Good news soon. :)

    That is good news. Lol, I wonder if it will be included in the pre-pack update. Regardless, can't wait to see what they come up with. Thanks.

    Not gonna happen sadly, she said news in a few weeks not a release. It's less than a week till pack release day so there's no chance of an announcement and release prior to then.
    Thank you for over 1k downloads on my more realistic Sulani mod on MTS!
    Click the image below to download : )
    GS0ek2a.png

    Please click here and click the me too button to get the locked out of houses bug fixed
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited September 3
    @Simtanium The reason we have always had gay Sims from the first was a what happened when a lead engineer went on holiday and it was Will Wright,Maxis and EA who passed it as ok when the world was quite different. You might want to read a bit about it.

    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197734/How_a_rogue_engineer_brought_samesex_coupling_to_The_Sims.php

    https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-kiss-that-changed-video-games
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    edited September 5
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 107 Member
    I get the complaints, however the devs are struggling with even implementing skin tones and disabilities for example into the game, did you really expect them to get gay couples right? On the face of it Sims 4 is diverse and shows representation, however if you dig too much (which is the case for all of Sims 4 IMO) you find it really isn't really as diverse as they say. It's up to you to make their characters better, and sadly Sims 4 has relied heavily on the community and mod creators to make this game as a whole better.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.

    Interesting how you associate cross-dressing with being a gay male. :confused:

    I'm not lazy, and nor do I need a tutorial - but thanks for telling me what my viewpoint should, and shouldn't, be. It really helps me see your PoV (not).
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    edited September 6
    Simtanium wrote: »
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.

    Interesting how you associate cross-dressing with being a gay male. :confused:

    I'm not lazy, and nor do I need a tutorial - but thanks for telling me what my viewpoint should, and shouldn't, be. It really helps me see your PoV (not).

    Most gay men don't cross dress BUT we all know LGBT people in the media have made cross dressing and related things part of the broader spectrum of identities and orientations. I was making a point about how the game is designed for you to have options. Even drag queen looking people are an option.

    My point is, premades ARE NOT the game itself. It's just a base or starting point. Gameplay is what's important in a game. Not set dressing and appearances. We all know all the sims in this game behave too similarly. Their sexes and sexualities don't make a difference in gameplay. If it did, you might a point there.
    Post edited by BloodValkyrie on
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 107 Member

    My point is, premades ARE NOT the game itself. It's just a base or starting point. Gameplay is what's important in a game. Not set dressing and appearances. We all know all the sims in this game behave too similarly. Their sexes and sexualities don't make a difference in gameplay. If it did, you might a point there.

    I agree with your assessment of premades. I can just as easily get Candy Behr to fall in love with my female sim as with my male sim. The same with Brent and Brant, once you get them over that initial "i'm married" huddle they'll fall for any sim male or female. Your statement really makes me realize just how much lacks with the Sims as it would be interesting if a gay sim would always reject a female sim because they are gay and not because she caught him in a bad mood.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,995 Member
    edited September 7
    It’s because the devs are men and they like women soooo...it’s no surprise they tend to make lesbian couples.

    It’s a crime, imo, because I and probably a heck ton of other straight women would adore more gay couples that aren’t cliche.

    Bottom line: straight men are the cause of this disparity no matter how “okay” they say they are with it.

    The Maxis team working on TS4 is very diverse. Your assumption shows you haven't been paying attention to profiles and or who the team is in their real lives. Never mistake a persona for a real person. Respect people who don't go around saying they are gay or straight to get applause. Some people are more than their sexual prefrences, and don't want to be defined by only that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 1,359 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.

    Interesting how you associate cross-dressing with being a gay male. :confused:

    I'm not lazy, and nor do I need a tutorial - but thanks for telling me what my viewpoint should, and shouldn't, be. It really helps me see your PoV (not).

    Most gay men don't cross dress BUT we all know LGBT people in the media have made cross dressing and related things part of the broader spectrum of identities and orientations. I was making a point about how the game is designed for you to have options. Even drag queen looking people are an option.

    My point is, premades ARE NOT the game itself. It's just a base or starting point. Gameplay is what's important in a game. Not set dressing and appearances. We all know all the sims in this game behave too similarly. Their sexes and sexualities don't make a difference in gameplay. If it did, you might a point there.

    @BloodValkyrie yeah but the question is why isn't EA making more male gay couples as premades like they do with lesbian couples etc. Is there something mean spirited behind it? Is there not? Are they just forgetful? Are they relying on stereotypes?
    That's what the OP is asking. Not how to make cross dressing sims or whether or not he can edit premades to his liking.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.

    Interesting how you associate cross-dressing with being a gay male. :confused:

    I'm not lazy, and nor do I need a tutorial - but thanks for telling me what my viewpoint should, and shouldn't, be. It really helps me see your PoV (not).

    Most gay men don't cross dress BUT we all know LGBT people in the media have made cross dressing and related things part of the broader spectrum of identities and orientations. I was making a point about how the game is designed for you to have options. Even drag queen looking people are an option.

    My point is, premades ARE NOT the game itself. It's just a base or starting point. Gameplay is what's important in a game. Not set dressing and appearances. We all know all the sims in this game behave too similarly. Their sexes and sexualities don't make a difference in gameplay. If it did, you might a point there.

    @BloodValkyrie yeah but the question is why isn't EA making more male gay couples as premades like they do with lesbian couples etc. Is there something mean spirited behind it? Is there not? Are they just forgetful? Are they relying on stereotypes?
    That's what the OP is asking. Not how to make cross dressing sims or whether or not he can edit premades to his liking.

    It's a question that can be answered with, "It doesn't matter," but OP doesn't want to accept that it doesn't matter, or that's how it seems.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 1,359 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    So, in a game where your characters can be attracted to anyone you want, can marry whoever you want, adopt, and can even cross dress you think there's not enough representation for gay males?

    Are you having difficulty figuring out how to make your male sims flirt with other male sims? There must be a tutorial out there for Sims gameplay 101 out there. I suggest you go look for one instead of trying to play the representation game.

    The premade families aren't there to be set in stone. You can edit them. You can delete them. The point of the game isn't to be frustrated with something you can change change anyway. If you get angry over something like that, it sounds lazy to me. Don't beg EA for something that doesn't matter in the long run. Actual gameplay is important, not the representation game.

    Interesting how you associate cross-dressing with being a gay male. :confused:

    I'm not lazy, and nor do I need a tutorial - but thanks for telling me what my viewpoint should, and shouldn't, be. It really helps me see your PoV (not).

    Most gay men don't cross dress BUT we all know LGBT people in the media have made cross dressing and related things part of the broader spectrum of identities and orientations. I was making a point about how the game is designed for you to have options. Even drag queen looking people are an option.

    My point is, premades ARE NOT the game itself. It's just a base or starting point. Gameplay is what's important in a game. Not set dressing and appearances. We all know all the sims in this game behave too similarly. Their sexes and sexualities don't make a difference in gameplay. If it did, you might a point there.

    @BloodValkyrie yeah but the question is why isn't EA making more male gay couples as premades like they do with lesbian couples etc. Is there something mean spirited behind it? Is there not? Are they just forgetful? Are they relying on stereotypes?
    That's what the OP is asking. Not how to make cross dressing sims or whether or not he can edit premades to his liking.

    It's a question that can be answered with, "It doesn't matter," but OP doesn't want to accept that it doesn't matter, or that's how it seems.

    @BloodValkyrie it seems to matter to the OP so...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top