September 18 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

The Lack of Representation of Gay Male Couples is Disappointing

Comments

  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 7,134 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    @comicsforlife I haven't noticed the lack of single pre-mades myself, but I'm only recently coming back to TS4 from a long hiatus. This thread was meant to draw attention to the disparity between the representation of male and female same-sex couples, though. Perhaps we will see some awesome pre-made singletons in a future dating pack!

    @silentcyborg Thank you. :smile: Yes, I would love to get turn-ons and turn-offs back as a non-intrusive way of doing this. I always made my gay Sims have turn-ons for facial hair and muscles and turn-offs for makeup in TS2. :lol:

    @Horrorgirl6 I can understand your perspective. I guess it's just a little bit disappointing when all I ever see in media is gay men being represented in a certain kind of way that doesn't reflect me, and I hoped the Sims would be a bit more humanising/respectful given its track record.

    @pepperjax1230 I can absolutely make my own families, yes. But the point of this thread was to illustrate the disparity between the representation of male and female same-sex couples, and how it is disappointing for a long-time fan and quite distasteful for EA to take this route when they have previously had more backbone when it came to this topic.

    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You're entitled to voice your opinion but I think you're missing my point entirely. I personally wouldn't have been offended or upset if EA decided to never include any same-sex couples in the game at all. Like you say, I can create my own (and I actually usually play straight couples as I enjoy playing with genetics and creating families). However, when EA decided to start marketing this game as a way to "represent yourself" and became very vocal about its LGBT+ inclusion they opened themselves up tor this criticism. I am never one of those people who would say a straight person couldn't have a viewpoint on gay topics, but it likely is difficult to comprehend unless you have experienced it yourself. The portrayal of gay men in media is extremely monolithic and stereotypical, and actually quite insulting. Gay characters are usually shown as catty, comedic and promiscuous; and are never shown in a loving relationship or raising a family. Lesbian couples are much easier to include as they (often) appeal to straight male viewers and are more socially acceptable. It is very common to see lesbian couples shown raising a child. While this sort of thing is something I have come to expect from most other forms of media that claim to be "woke" but only push these issues in socially-acceptable ways, given the Sims franchises' history of being (dare I say) brave for including homosexual relationships when it ships all over the world, I expected better from them.

    @Chazzzy In future, please don't comment on my topics unless you have something constructive to add. Thanks.

    but I was commenting on how I felt about it we don't have any gay signal males and very few signal premades
    in general compared to married sims of any kind and as for people saying they don't want any gay men
    put into the game because they can make there own I think thats ok and @Chazzzy did tell you how
    he felt when he last commented your new so maybe you don't know but a lot of people just say that they
    like want don't want or don't agree and nothing else its ok because it bumps your thread up for more people
    to see and he didn't take it off topic so he was kind of doing you a favor
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 18,926 Member
    edited August 13
    It’s because the devs are men and they like women soooo...it’s no surprise they tend to make lesbian couples.

    It’s a crime, imo, because I and probably a heck ton of other straight women would adore more gay couples that aren’t cliche.

    Bottom line: straight men are the cause of this disparity no matter how “okay” they say they are with it.

    That’s absolutely preposterous. Not to mention we don’t know who often creates the townies, if it’s multiple devs/producers or not. On top of that there’s a lot of female devs and producers working on TS4 and as far as I’m concerned, lesbian women also like women, don’t put it on the “straight men” without any proof of the matter. And also, it’s fine if they add gay couples for straight women but not lesbians for straight men? XD Wow ahahaha

    And I’m not even straight, I’m just point out the fault in your logic.
    vvT0gUf.jpg?1
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited August 13
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    It’s because the devs are men and they like women soooo...it’s no surprise they tend to make lesbian couples.

    It’s a crime, imo, because I and probably a heck ton of other straight women would adore more gay couples that aren’t cliche.

    Bottom line: straight men are the cause of this disparity no matter how “okay” they say they are with it.

    That’s absolutely preposterous. Not to mention we don’t know who often creates the townies, if it’s multiple devs/producers or not. On top of that there’s a lot of female devs and producers working on TS4 and as far as I’m concerned, lesbian women also like women, don’t put it on the “straight men” without any proof of the matter. And also, it’s fine if they add gay couples for straight women but not lesbians for straight men? XD Wow ahahaha

    And I’m not even straight, I’m just point out the fault in your logic.

    I know right?
    Their comment sounds like "straight men bad!"
    TBH what is with this straight hate all of sudden, we can all love and accept one another.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,634 Member
    Hold the phone. Sims are bisexual so just pick a partner and problem is solved. No need to add something that is already there.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 13
    @Simtanium wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You're entitled to voice your opinion but I think you're missing my point entirely. I personally wouldn't have been offended or upset if EA decided to never include any same-sex couples in the game at all. Like you say, I can create my own (and I actually usually play straight couples as I enjoy playing with genetics and creating families). However, when EA decided to start marketing this game as a way to "represent yourself" and became very vocal about its LGBT+ inclusion they opened themselves up tor this criticism. I am never one of those people who would say a straight person couldn't have a viewpoint on gay topics, but it likely is difficult to comprehend unless you have experienced it yourself. The portrayal of gay men in media is extremely monolithic and stereotypical, and actually quite insulting. Gay characters are usually shown as catty, comedic and promiscuous; and are never shown in a loving relationship or raising a family. Lesbian couples are much easier to include as they (often) appeal to straight male viewers and are more socially acceptable. It is very common to see lesbian couples shown raising a child. While this sort of thing is something I have come to expect from most other forms of media that claim to be "woke" but only push these issues in socially-acceptable ways, given the Sims franchises' history of being (dare I say) brave for including homosexual relationships when it ships all over the world, I expected better from them.

    I agree that EA opened themselves up for criticism by bragging around about any kind of inclusion.
    In the meantime members of the trance community don’t feel like they’re being represented correctly, those who identify as non binary are not happy because of the lack of options in CAS, some ethnic groups feel there’s too much missing for them, gay couples are not shown the same respect as female couples and the list goes on and on. The game is under so much pressure right now because everybody wants to be represented exactly the way that suits them, otherwise “racism here” or “discrimination there.”

    And in the meantime where the hell are the werewolves? Because let’s not forget it’s a game.

    Perhaps EA should stop marketing The Sims 4 as an all inclusive game and just give us some more advanced tools. Social representation in TS4 is already way ahead of any other game. Give people more options so they can create whatever and whoever they want.

    As for why female couples with kids have more representation in game than their male counterparts: Is it not more common for two women to have a child? Indeed, females are portrayed as nurturing since they are the ones that carry a child for 9 months.

    But then again, apparently a male sim can breastfeed his alien baby...

    I‘m not familiar with custodian law in other countries, but where I live, a man doesn’t even have any legal rights to his own child if he’s not married. The mother is always in a superior position. If she decides to put the child up for adoption, the father doesn’t automatically get custody. He will have to apply and go through the adoption process just like any other person. Ultimately it doesn’t matter who the father of the child is, even if he’s been looking after his own kid for years. Legally, it’s not his.
    I can only I imagine how difficult it must be for two men to adopt a kid.
    Whatever the reasons are for leaving out certain aspects in game, I still don’t think they’re intentional. I believe there is at least one male dev married to another man and both have a little kid.

    Yes Im straight and half Caucasian and I can’t possibly understand how gay men or anybody else feels about the lack of inclusion. I don’t have that experience. So perhaps I shouldn’t participate in this discussion.

    However I still believe that, rather than working on this apparent lack of representation in premade households, it’s more important for the sims team to work on the lack of CAS and gameplay options.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    @Simtanium wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You're entitled to voice your opinion but I think you're missing my point entirely. I personally wouldn't have been offended or upset if EA decided to never include any same-sex couples in the game at all. Like you say, I can create my own (and I actually usually play straight couples as I enjoy playing with genetics and creating families). However, when EA decided to start marketing this game as a way to "represent yourself" and became very vocal about its LGBT+ inclusion they opened themselves up tor this criticism. I am never one of those people who would say a straight person couldn't have a viewpoint on gay topics, but it likely is difficult to comprehend unless you have experienced it yourself. The portrayal of gay men in media is extremely monolithic and stereotypical, and actually quite insulting. Gay characters are usually shown as catty, comedic and promiscuous; and are never shown in a loving relationship or raising a family. Lesbian couples are much easier to include as they (often) appeal to straight male viewers and are more socially acceptable. It is very common to see lesbian couples shown raising a child. While this sort of thing is something I have come to expect from most other forms of media that claim to be "woke" but only push these issues in socially-acceptable ways, given the Sims franchises' history of being (dare I say) brave for including homosexual relationships when it ships all over the world, I expected better from them.

    I agree that EA opened themselves up for criticism by bragging around about any kind of inclusion.
    In the meantime members of the trance community don’t feel like they’re being represented correctly, those who identify as non binary are not happy because of the lack of options in CAS, some ethnic groups feel there’s too much missing for them, gay couples are not shown the same respect as female couples and the list goes on and on. The game is under so much pressure right now because everybody wants to be represented exactly the way that suits them, otherwise “racism here” or “discrimination there.”

    And in the meantime where the hell are the werewolves? Because let’s not forget it’s a game.

    Perhaps EA should stop marketing The Sims 4 as an all inclusive game and just give us some more advanced tools. Social representation in TS4 is already way ahead of any other game. Give people more options so they can create whatever and whoever they want.

    As for why female couples with kids have more representation in game than their male counterparts: Is it not more common for two women to have a child? Indeed, females are portrayed as nurturing since they are the ones that carry a child for 9 months.

    But then again, apparently a male sim can breastfeed his alien baby...

    I‘m not familiar with custodian law in other countries, but where I live, a man doesn’t even have any legal rights to his own child if he’s not married. The mother is always in a superior position. If she decides to put the child up for adoption, the father doesn’t automatically get custody. He will have to apply and go through the adoption process just like any other person. Ultimately it doesn’t matter who the father of the child is, even if he’s been looking after his own kid for years. Legally, it’s not his.
    I can only I imagine how difficult it must be for two men to adopt a kid.
    Whatever the reasons are for leaving out certain aspects in game, I still don’t think they’re intentional. I believe there is at least one male dev married to another man and both have a little kid.

    Yes Im straight and half Caucasian and I can’t possibly understand how gay men or anybody else feels about the lack of inclusion. I don’t have that experience. So perhaps I shouldn’t participate in this discussion.

    However I still believe that, rather than working at this apparent lack of representation in premade households, it’s more important for the sims team to work on the lack of CAS and gameplay options.

    Whoa TIL LOL!

  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,712 Member
    For the most part I'm just glad that there is LGBT representation at all in the Sims series. Off course given the fact that I'm not LGBT, I cannot speak for the LGBT community or even the gay community, however, given what little representation there is for gay people in video games at all, the Sims series is much better in that regard, probably than the vast majority.

    Also, although, someone else pointed this out, it needs to be repeated. There really aren't that many Sims that get included with each pack. In the Sims 3, maybe it would be a bit more understandable for people to be upset with the low number of LGBT sims, since we would usually get somewhere around twenty to thirty households with each new expansion pack, at least if they included a new world. In the Sims 4, we are lucky if we get four new households. Kind of hard to represent everyone in each pack, especially when that's the case.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Whoa TIL LOL!
    Yes. Bewildering. I know. :D
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 7,134 Member
    @Simtanium wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You're entitled to voice your opinion but I think you're missing my point entirely. I personally wouldn't have been offended or upset if EA decided to never include any same-sex couples in the game at all. Like you say, I can create my own (and I actually usually play straight couples as I enjoy playing with genetics and creating families). However, when EA decided to start marketing this game as a way to "represent yourself" and became very vocal about its LGBT+ inclusion they opened themselves up tor this criticism. I am never one of those people who would say a straight person couldn't have a viewpoint on gay topics, but it likely is difficult to comprehend unless you have experienced it yourself. The portrayal of gay men in media is extremely monolithic and stereotypical, and actually quite insulting. Gay characters are usually shown as catty, comedic and promiscuous; and are never shown in a loving relationship or raising a family. Lesbian couples are much easier to include as they (often) appeal to straight male viewers and are more socially acceptable. It is very common to see lesbian couples shown raising a child. While this sort of thing is something I have come to expect from most other forms of media that claim to be "woke" but only push these issues in socially-acceptable ways, given the Sims franchises' history of being (dare I say) brave for including homosexual relationships when it ships all over the world, I expected better from them.

    I agree that EA opened themselves up for criticism by bragging around about any kind of inclusion.
    In the meantime members of the trance community don’t feel like they’re being represented correctly, those who identify as non binary are not happy because of the lack of options in CAS, some ethnic groups feel there’s too much missing for them, gay couples are not shown the same respect as female couples and the list goes on and on. The game is under so much pressure right now because everybody wants to be represented exactly the way that suits them, otherwise “racism here” or “discrimination there.”

    And in the meantime where the hell are the werewolves? Because let’s not forget it’s a game.

    Perhaps EA should stop marketing The Sims 4 as an all inclusive game and just give us some more advanced tools. Social representation in TS4 is already way ahead of any other game. Give people more options so they can create whatever and whoever they want.

    As for why female couples with kids have more representation in game than their male counterparts: Is it not more common for two women to have a child? Indeed, females are portrayed as nurturing since they are the ones that carry a child for 9 months.

    But then again, apparently a male sim can breastfeed his alien baby...

    I‘m not familiar with custodian law in other countries, but where I live, a man doesn’t even have any legal rights to his own child if he’s not married. The mother is always in a superior position. If she decides to put the child up for adoption, the father doesn’t automatically get custody. He will have to apply and go through the adoption process just like any other person. Ultimately it doesn’t matter who the father of the child is, even if he’s been looking after his own kid for years. Legally, it’s not his.
    I can only I imagine how difficult it must be for two men to adopt a kid.
    Whatever the reasons are for leaving out certain aspects in game, I still don’t think they’re intentional. I believe there is at least one male dev married to another man and both have a little kid.

    Yes Im straight and half Caucasian and I can’t possibly understand how gay men or anybody else feels about the lack of inclusion. I don’t have that experience. So perhaps I shouldn’t participate in this discussion.

    However I still believe that, rather than working on this apparent lack of representation in premade households, it’s more important for the sims team to work on the lack of CAS and gameplay options.

    , it’s more important for the sims team to work on the lack of CAS and gameplay options
    I agree I feel the same way we all need more gameplay and to know what that new gamepack is
    and wearwovles @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 1,385 Member
    I think OP means there is a lack of gay male premade sims. And some people, including the OP, see that as discriminatory coming from EA because of how supportive they are of the LGBTQ+ community yet do not seem interested in making gay couples.
    You guys really need to read the thread. I don't necessarily agree with this but I think you all are missing the point.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 7,134 Member
    I think OP means there is a lack of gay male premade sims. And some people, including the OP, see that as discriminatory coming from EA because of how supportive they are of the LGBTQ+ community yet do not seem interested in making gay couples.
    You guys really need to read the thread. I don't necessarily agree with this but I think you all are missing the point.

    oh you mean they just want to talk about weather we think ea is being discriminatory or not
    if so then no I don't think so I think they mean well :) and want everyone to feel welcome
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    I think OP means there is a lack of gay male premade sims. And some people, including the OP, see that as discriminatory coming from EA because of how supportive they are of the LGBTQ+ community yet do not seem interested in making gay couples.
    You guys really need to read the thread. I don't necessarily agree with this but I think you all are missing the point.

    Yep.
  • Doxiedog6Doxiedog6 Posts: 45 Member
    I feel some of the people I have created or maxis created kind of show some preference for same sex relationships or bisexual. Others do not. Just like real life. Kind of what makes it fun making your stories for the families. This game encourages freedom of expression and ideas by having the option to create your own. Or use theirs knowing it may not be exactly what they want.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 4,247 Member
    edited August 13
    ETA: On reflection, I don't want to get into an internet argument or to be attacked online so I am retracting my original comment. Suffice it so say that I am all for more and better representation of gay male couples among TS4 premades and I think it is a real pity that so many here seem to disagree.
    Post edited by MaggieMarley on
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 13
    I think OP means there is a lack of gay male premade sims. And some people, including the OP, see that as discriminatory coming from EA because of how supportive they are of the LGBTQ+ community yet do not seem interested in making gay couples.
    You guys really need to read the thread. I don't necessarily agree with this but I think you all are missing the point.

    Maybe so. And hey, again, I probably have no place at all in this discussion because I’m in no position to say how anybody should feel about something that I have no experience with. I do know that there have been various threads about the same topic and I’ve been avoiding them just because I never cared about the social representation of anything in pre-mades. Maybe I should. I just don’t.
    However I’m all for diversity and inclusion, and I do like variety in my game. The game should provide us with the tools so we can create our own ideal characters and worlds. I understand that this thread is not about the tools. It’s about how EA decides to represents some elements and not others, which seems unfair to some.

    I agree with OP that there’s a flaw in EA’s marketing strategy because they’re boasting about inclusion, and yet a lot still seems to be missing, due to those Tools I keep moaning about. If they just work on those and do less political boasting about inclusion until TS4 can actually provide the player with ways to represent themselves it’ll be easier for everyone.

    I’m sure if we analyzed every household in TS4 we’ll see a lack of representation of many other members of the LGBTQ+ community, certain ethnic groups etc. There will be a whole list of non-inclusion. That’s why we can’t depend on Maxis to create those households for us.
    I personally don’t believe the devs who created the households so far, intentionally left gay male couples (with kids) out. Maybe they did. Who knows? We’ll just have to see what they give us next.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited August 13
    I think OP means there is a lack of gay male premade sims. And some people, including the OP, see that as discriminatory coming from EA because of how supportive they are of the LGBTQ+ community yet do not seem interested in making gay couples.
    You guys really need to read the thread. I don't necessarily agree with this but I think you all are missing the point.

    Maybe so. And hey, again, I probably have no place at all in this discussion because I’m in no position to say how anybody should feel about something that I have no experience with. I do know that there have been various threads about the same topic and I’ve been avoiding them just because I never cared about the social representation of anything in pre-mades. Maybe I should. I just don’t.
    However I’m all for diversity and inclusion, and I do like variety in my game. The game should provide us with the tools so we can create our own ideal characters and worlds. I understand that this thread is not about the tools. It’s about how EA decides to represents some elements and not others, which seems unfair to some.

    I agree with OP that there’s a flaw in EA’s marketing strategy because they’re boasting about inclusion, and yet a lot still seems to be missing, due to those Tools I keep moaning about. If they just work on those and do less political boasting about inclusion until TS4 can actually provide the player with ways to represent themselves it’ll be easier for everyone.

    I’m sure if we analyzed every household in TS4 we’ll see a lack of representation of many other members of the LGBTQ+ community, certain ethnic groups etc. There will be a whole list of non-inclusion. That’s why we can’t depend on Maxis to create those households for us.
    I personally don’t believe the devs who created the households so far, intentionally left gay male couples with kids out. Maybe they did. Who knows? We’ll just have to see what they give us next.

    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to point out that the OP made this thread with something else in mind than what people are commenting on.
    Personally I think it is nearly impossible to represent every kind of human on this earth. If you look closely enough, like you said, you will always find some who is either not represented or not as much as the others but that is just inevitable because of how unique the world is. You can already see the LGBTQ+ name getting so big we had to add a plus to it, just because we cannot even come up with a word that represents everyone, let alone put that in a game.
    I think EA is not doing it on purpose. I would love to see more non-stereotypical gay couples but even if they don't make any that doesn't mean they are h o m o phobic. We all just do and create what feels closest to us and even though EA is making an effort to create premades that represent as many people as possible they are also human and we can't expect from them something we cannot even do ourselves. I'm sure if I looked at your game I could find some race, sexuality etc. that isn't being "represented". Same goes for my game.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 13
    This thread isn't about any other form of under-representation than male/male families and couples. There is only one type of of couple comparable - female/female couples - and they are clearly favoured.

    My bottom line remains: if you are going to include same-sex couples, make sure you include couples from both sexes and not just one. Don't only represent one token gay couple and then have three different lesbian couples with distinct styles and backstories and more traditional family structures. It's not hard to grasp.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    And the fact that they OVER-represented female/female couples in the latest EP is just like pouring salt in the wound. There are four families in Eco Lifestyle and half of them are lesbian couples. This feels ludicrous and why people claim they are virtue-signalling (but in a safe way, as the backlash to F/F couples would never be as bad as to M/M couples).
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I'm sure if I looked at your game I could find some race, sexuality etc. that isn't being "represented".
    Let’s not even go there... :D
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 18,926 Member
    edited August 13
    Ok, I was refraining from posting here about the main topic, but I guess I might as well, since the OP seems to be taking an issue with other people’s opinions, especially if they aren’t gay themselves.

    Personally I could not care less about what pre-mades Maxis makes or not. I play with my own sims, and if I want to I can make my own pre-mades. The townies are just background noise especially when they don’t even have proper personalities.

    I don’t really need representation coming from some random 🌺🌺🌺🌺 pre-mades in the sims, I think that’s kind of dumb, but I do think that if Maxis is so keen on adding them, they could at least make an effort to not make them Hollywood clichés. It’s funny for two seconds but when you think about it, the portrail of gay men in media has always been pretty bad and I do wish that would change, because it doesn’t help anyone.

    And it’s pretty hilarious how people are afraid to speak on the topic because they are scared to offend others or to be called ists or phobes. Ya’ll need to chill, I know there’s children in these forums but a lot of us are adults too, so lets behave like so. And also, grow thicker skin, it’s the internet, 🌺🌺🌺🌺 is bound to happen since people are far more agressive when they are protected by a monitor or a phone screen.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    vvT0gUf.jpg?1
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    @Sigzy05 I don't have an issue with anyone (including straight people - can't believe I have to post that) posting their opinion, so please don't put words into my mouth. You contradict yourself halfway through your post by agreeing with me after accusing me of being the Angry Gay. I didn't accuse anyone of having any sort of bigotry, and it really doesn't bother me if someone doesn't agree with my lifestyle.

    I have gone over the reasons why EA should be held accountable several times now, however. So I'm going to leave it at that.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,690 Member
    edited August 13
    Simtanium wrote: »
    @comicsforlife I haven't noticed the lack of single pre-mades myself, but I'm only recently coming back to TS4 from a long hiatus. This thread was meant to draw attention to the disparity between the representation of male and female same-sex couples, though. Perhaps we will see some awesome pre-made singletons in a future dating pack!

    @silentcyborg Thank you. :smile: Yes, I would love to get turn-ons and turn-offs back as a non-intrusive way of doing this. I always made my gay Sims have turn-ons for facial hair and muscles and turn-offs for makeup in TS2. :lol:

    @Horrorgirl6 I can understand your perspective. I guess it's just a little bit disappointing when all I ever see in media is gay men being represented in a certain kind of way that doesn't reflect me, and I hoped the Sims would be a bit more humanising/respectful given its track record.

    @pepperjax1230 I can absolutely make my own families, yes. But the point of this thread was to illustrate the disparity between the representation of male and female same-sex couples, and how it is disappointing for a long-time fan and quite distasteful for EA to take this route when they have previously had more backbone when it came to this topic.

    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 You're entitled to voice your opinion but I think you're missing my point entirely. I personally wouldn't have been offended or upset if EA decided to never include any same-sex couples in the game at all. Like you say, I can create my own (and I actually usually play straight couples as I enjoy playing with genetics and creating families). However, when EA decided to start marketing this game as a way to "represent yourself" and became very vocal about its LGBT+ inclusion they opened themselves up tor this criticism. I am never one of those people who would say a straight person couldn't have a viewpoint on gay topics, but it likely is difficult to comprehend unless you have experienced it yourself. The portrayal of gay men in media is extremely monolithic and stereotypical, and actually quite insulting. Gay characters are usually shown as catty, comedic and promiscuous; and are never shown in a loving relationship or raising a family. Lesbian couples are much easier to include as they (often) appeal to straight male viewers and are more socially acceptable. It is very common to see lesbian couples shown raising a child. While this sort of thing is something I have come to expect from most other forms of media that claim to be "woke" but only push these issues in socially-acceptable ways, given the Sims franchises' history of being (dare I say) brave for including homosexual relationships when it ships all over the world, I expected better from them.

    @Chazzzy In future, please don't comment on my topics unless you have something constructive to add. Thanks.
    I’m going to ask again why are you depending on EA to make something you can easily do? The game is a platform to be creative and make how you want. EA doesn’t need to provide anything for you if it’s not being represented make it yourself. It’s not that hard to do. All opinions are valid whether you like them or not Chazzy is just explaining that you can make your own families to. No need to be rude and say they aren’t saying anything constructive. This is a forum you are posting on.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    God, I hate how people are using the hibiscus emoji to represent curse words. Is this a new trend? The internet is really the pits of humanity.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,690 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    God, I hate how people are using the hibiscus emoji to represent curse words. Is this a new trend? The internet is really the pits of humanity.
    They aren’t doing anything the forum is doing it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 118 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    God, I hate how people are using the hibiscus emoji to represent curse words. Is this a new trend? The internet is really the pits of humanity.
    They aren’t doing anything the forum is doing it.

    Perhaps they should familiarise themselves with the forum rules then and start adhering to them.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top