Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion: Candle making should have been a separate skill

Eco Lifestyle has become one of my favourite EPs, in large part thanks to the fabrication skill. However, one thing I wish was different is candle making being part of it, rather than its own 5-level skill.

First of all, it doesn't seem very logical. You get to create several complicated pieces of furniture before you unlock the ability to make a cylindrical candle, and then it takes two more skill levels to make a rectangular one, even though the only difference between them is the shape of the jar sims pour the wax into before they wait for it to dry. Also, both of them seem easier to make than the dipped candles, which actually require your sims to do something, but are available to make from the getgo. I realise this was done for gameplay purposes because the bigger candles are more visually appealing and serve as an additional motivation to keep building the fabrication skill, but it's a bit silly.

I also have a few sims (witches and grandmas especially) that I want to be able to make candles, but not necessarily everything else that comes with the fabrication skill. Of course it's up to me to only buy them a candle making station and ignore the rest of the package, but that doesn't save those sims from having to work through ten levels of a skill they otherwise don't need to unlock the ability to scent their candles.

And last but not least, it could also be a new activity for children. I realise children can already make candles as it is, but only one kind, and it doesn't contribute to any of their skills, which is why they can never learn to make more advanced candles. My guess is that children weren't supposed to be able to create furniture and therefore wouldn't have much use for the fabrication skill as a whole, so they can't even build it in the first place. But with candle making being separate, that wouldn't be a problem. It could be one of those skills that they can build without having to max one of their own first (like pet training and vampire lore), or something that is unlocked after maxing creativity.

What do you think? Any other candle making enthusiasts out there who wish there was more to it in the game? I'm actually making candles in real life now, and guess what - I started with the cylindrical ones. ;)

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm not a candle making enthusiast, quite the opposite actually. :D However, some of my sims are.

I agree it should be separated from the fabrication skill though. Like you said, 5 levels would have been perfect. Juicing got it's own skill. In my opinion, fabrication and candle making are not even the same thing! One thing your creating all kinds of things from bits and pieces, up cycling. The other thing, is.. well, making candles! They don't belong in the same category in my mind and I thought it was a strange choice on their part to do that.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Juice fizzing (or rather, nectar making) was a popular request before Eco Lifestyle, one I never really understood since we already had mixology. If the pack could only include one 10-level skill and one 5-level skill for some reason, I think it would have made more sense to make juice fizzing an expansion of mixology and save the 5-level skill for candles. At least I would have preferred it that way, but at the end of the day I'm still happy we get to make candles at all.
    I like your solutions! When they were first talking about juice fizzing, I actually thought it would tie into mixology somehow. I also assumed candle making would be it's own thing.

I'm glad for all the little extra "hobbies" EL added. Our sims needed more of this type of thing and this is a good start. ;)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Juice fizzing (or rather, nectar making) was a popular request before Eco Lifestyle, one I never really understood since we already had mixology. If the pack could only include one 10-level skill and one 5-level skill for some reason, I think it would have made more sense to make juice fizzing an expansion of mixology and save the 5-level skill for candles. At least I would have preferred it that way, but at the end of the day I'm still happy we get to make candles at all.

I was one of the people asking for nectar making. Juice fizzing may well be the replacement for nectar making in sims 4 but it really has nothing to do with it. Nectar making was about wine making. You could invent your own recipes mixing different ingredients. It would improve quality when in barrels and/or in basements. It had a great depth that juice fizzing doesn't have.
    When I first heard about juice fizzing I was excited because of TS3's nectar making. I was disappointed that we couldn't even mix ingredients in the fizzer. I do like it, it just could have been more. It should have been more. There were quite a few missed opportunities with this pack IMO.