Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think the skin issue is because of the Sims 4 style.

For one , I want to make it clear.The skintone issue does not bother me much.Im African American.I think we do should have sliders back.That might help, but I think the main issue is.The style that Sims 4 has.The skin style is very cartoonish.Why cc is very realistic.The thing with cartoons it's impossible to have the exact realistic shade, or color like you do in real life. So the cartoon style makes it's a bit limited.This is limited for any race.Not just blacks.The problem to me is having swatches, and style they choose.

Comments

• Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    ^^Yees! All skintones are really lacking, even tho i understand that it's impossible to make every skintone there is but we would need more, slider would be best and that you could pick undertone too. And i agree it's really limited on all races. And i don't want to offend anyone or anything like that but I'm nordic myself and i have to say i can't represent myself ether. There aren't really pale skin with red or cool undertones. the ones we have are really red or yellow and they aren't really the shades nordic people has. Same whit hair colors, blond and brown hairs are really red and not more ashy/greys than in europe. So we really need more these things for everyone. I would love that everyone could make sims self regardless of nationality but i just want people to know that even tho i'm 'white' i can't relate many things in the sims since i'm europian. From how i see it is that sims is not 'too for white people', It's too american. Hair colors, hair styles, skincolors, clothes are really america but 'white american' is not the same than 'white people' It's like saying that if someone in totally different country other side of the world has same hair color/eye color than you, would mean you share same cultural things etc. Sims players are from around the world and they should represent that and not just one tiny part of the world! Atleast that would be the dream for life simulation game! Happy that you bring this up :smile:
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2020
    I opened up one of the Sims that came included with Island Living in CAS to see what the deal was because in Live mode, he had some patches of his skin where it was showing the color green. It looks fine in CAS but in Live mode, I was seeing green patches of skin and little circles that were lighter brown. It was very weird. And at that point I was finally able to see what folks have been complaining about for years now.

Personally, I think the devs don’t address this because they have no solution for it.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I opened up one of the Sims that came included with Island Living in CAS to see what the deal was because in Live mode, he had some patches of his skin where it was showing the color green. It looks fine in CAS but in Live mode, I was seeing green patches of skin and little circles that were lighter brown. It was very weird. And at that point I was finally able to see what folks have been complaining about for years now.

Personally, I think the devs don’t address this because they have no solution for it.

it could maybe be the blue overlay the sims 4 has? I'm not sure but i have also noticed that they look different in CAS than ingame. Hope they fix that.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    No, i dont think it has anything to do with the style of the game.
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    Certainly not. That’s really not even adding up. And they need to fix it .
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited August 2020
    I agree that the initial choice of skin tones available in game was because of the art style, which should be seen as stylized realism, not hyper realism. Characters in Disney or Pixar films (similar art style) don’t have the most realistic skin tones if you really focus on it, but the audience does not notice it because the character is part of a story that is being told to them. The audience is not creating their own Pixar characters. The audience is not telling their own Pixar story.

Because TS4 is a life simulator and storytelling tool, it doesn’t work the same way. A lot of folks don’t to play the game ‘stylized realistic.’ They look for more every day realism and since the game has been going for years now, some kind of realistic representation is required in the game-no matter how cartoony the characters look- because other realistic things have also been represented in game. If TS4 is all about inclusion, it should go for either all or nothing: Adding more skin tone swatches or a colour wheel will solve at least one issue that a lot of people are having.
    Now for the other things...

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    No, a lot of people have said it is the undertone that makes the skin look either ashy or red. I don't think the color of something in the Sims 4 is influenced by its art style. There are no cartoonish and realistic colour. As for skin details etc. yes that is different but the colour itself is just a color.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

it could maybe be the blue overlay the sims 4 has? I'm not sure but i have also noticed that they look different in CAS than ingame. Hope they fix that.

The blue light that pervades everything in TS4 probably has a lot to do with it. Even with default replacement skin tones, I've noticed that my darker-skinned Sims always have a purplish tinge, especially at night. I've started using a color correction preset, which has helped somewhat. The skin tones don't look as bad as they did before.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    I’ve been using this lighting replacement mod to get rid of the blue lighting. It does make the game look more natural in tone.
    For those who are interested and don’t want to use shaders:

https://luumiasims.com/post/176043227929/its-been-well-over-a-year-since-noblu-v1-came-out
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    For one , I want to make it clear.The skintone issue does not bother me much.Im African American.I think we do should have sliders back.That might help, but I think the main issue is.The style that Sims 4 has.The skin style is very cartoonish.Why cc is very realistic.The thing with cartoons it's impossible to have the exact realistic shade, or color like you do in real life. So the cartoon style makes it's a bit limited.This is limited for any race.Not just blacks.The problem to me is having swatches, and style they choose.

I think I agree most with this theory. To be fair None of the original skintones have ever looked right. Long before i discovered cc I was trying to make a pale korean sim and a mid tone Cambodian sim and wow did they look all kinds of grey and orange. And there is no black hair that doesn't look blue.

I honestly believe they were going for a silly cartoon look. I mean look how goofy the sims act and walk and grin constantly and all. But the players want realism and down to earth. Opposite of what they were going for.

The cc I use that gives my sims nice looking realistic skin tones is alpha and there is nothing alpha in the sims normally. And everything is bold bright and colorful.

I am south Asian of the darker variety and it hadn't bothered me too much even before I got cc. I just looked at it as the style.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The players want it because it was suggested to them in a way. I agree that at the beginning it was due to a stylized cartoon look. It was supposed to be a funny life parody. At some point during this TS4 run, they changed their advertising tactics to more of a "create yourself" "be inclusive" "tell your story". Now, people have noticed that they can't create themselves, exactly. They can't tell their stories, exactly, but the advertising said that you can.

EA/Maxis kind of asked for this by changing their tactics here midway. I don't see why they can't just add in more colour swatches for skin tones, eyes and hair though. There's plenty of RPG's out there that aren't about life simulation at all and have A LOT more options. Modders have been doing it for years. If modders can do it, EA/Maxis can DEFINITELY do it.

While they're at it, I'd like some more unnatural tones too in all categories.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I’ve been using this lighting replacement mod to get rid of the blue lighting. It does make the game look more natural in tone.

https://luumiasims.com/post/176043227929/its-been-well-over-a-year-since-noblu-v1-came-out

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 How has this mid been for you? Does it cause any issues (graphics, performance, gameplay)? Does it need regular updates?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    I also use Luumias lighting mods and they help, a LOT :) Makes the game more beautiful!
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

According to the comments on the mod page, I thought that fix had stopped working properly many patches ago. Thanks for the info! :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited August 2020
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 How has this mid been for you? Does it cause any issues (graphics, performance, gameplay)? Does it need regular updates?
    Cynna wrote: »
    According to the comments on the mod page, I thought that fix had stopped working properly many patches ago. Thanks for the info! :)

@SimmerGeorge, @Cynna,

I use both Luumia’s NoBlu & NoGlo (and sliders and body hair) and these mods have always been working fine for me.
    I make sure to check the site after the release of a new patch, but if there’s no clear update I just take that chance and put the mods back into my mods folder. So far I have had no performance or graphics issues at all! ;)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have lots of mods to give my game different skin colors. I usually find that, for my tastes, the game does fine with intermediate skin colors but struggles at the extreme light and dark ends of the spectrum. I would love to see more underlying hues for all parts of the spectrum, like rich medium brown with red undertone and light caucasian with green undertone, et cetera.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    ^^Yees! All skintones are really lacking, even tho i understand that it's impossible to make every skintone there is but we would need more, slider would be best and that you could pick undertone too. And i agree it's really limited on all races. And i don't want to offend anyone or anything like that but I'm nordic myself and i have to say i can't represent myself ether. There aren't really pale skin with red or cool undertones. the ones we have are really red or yellow and they aren't really the shades nordic people has. Same whit hair colors, blond and brown hairs are really red and not more ashy/greys than in europe. So we really need more these things for everyone. I would love that everyone could make sims self regardless of nationality but i just want people to know that even tho i'm 'white' i can't relate many things in the sims since i'm europian. From how i see it is that sims is not 'too for white people', It's too american. Hair colors, hair styles, skincolors, clothes are really america but 'white american' is not the same than 'white people' It's like saying that if someone in totally different country other side of the world has same hair color/eye color than you, would mean you share same cultural things etc. Sims players are from around the world and they should represent that and not just one tiny part of the world! Atleast that would be the dream for life simulation game! Happy that you bring this up :smile:

This!!!
    As of now the game has none of the light northern European skin tones but lots of other shades. It doesn't bother me - it's a game, but I think all this noise about how the game has to represent everybody is the times we live in. It is especially apparent here in US.

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited August 2020
    Nah, I don't think it's the game's art style that's to blame. Modders have been able to make Maxis Match skins that do a better job of representing the full spectrum of skin tones than the default ones in the game. Face it, the cooler dark skin tones look purple and ashy, The warmer dark skin tones have a LOT of red to them, and (on a related note) we don't even have a good selection of blushes and lipsticks to complement what dark skins we do have. It makes it really unappealing to make sims any darker than milk chocolate brown, because they never look quite right. And don't even get me started on how most of the ultra-curly hairstyles are in paid DLC. Why did I have to get IL to have enough long, curly styles to make Black people with a decent variety of natural styles to choose from? That's messed up! #EndTheBlackTax

The issue is only even getting addressed at all because the majority White influencers have joined the bandwagon to amplify the complaints Black simmers have had for years. Maybe if EA had a more diverse pool of Game Changers for this franchise (different ethnicities, races, cultural backgrounds, playstyles, etc.), more of this game's problems and shortcomings would have been addressed much sooner and more completely.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Nah, I don't think it's the game's art style that's to blame. Modders have been able to make Maxis Match skins that do a better job of representing the full spectrum of skin tones than the default ones in the game. Face it, the cooler dark skin tones look purple and ashy, The warmer dark skin tones have a LOT of red to them, and (on a related note) we don't even have a good selection of blushes and lipsticks to complement what dark skins we do have. It makes it really unappealing to make sims any darker than milk chocolate brown, because they never look quite right. And don't even get me started on how most of the ultra-curly hairstyles are in paid DLC. Why did I have to get IL to have enough long, curly styles to make Black people with a decent variety of natural styles to choose from? That's messed up! #EndTheBlackTax

The issue is only even getting addressed at all because the majority White influencers have joined the bandwagon to amplify the complaints Black simmers have had for years. Maybe if EA had a more diverse pool of Game Changers for this franchise (different ethnicities, races, cultural backgrounds, playstyles, etc.), more of this game's problems and shortcomings would have been addressed much sooner and more completely.

Due to the fact, that colors from all skin tones was lacking.They don't need add more game changers .Gamechangers qualifications seem to be for anyone.Who is popular enough.It has nothing to do with race.(I don't want anyone to be pick because their race.Thays not equality.)Ironically we have more dark skin tones than white ones .Im glad we're getting more swatches.I hope it's for all races, and not just mine.