Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5: Spec Requirements - That Fine Balance Between Cutting Edge and Potato Computers

2...Next

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited September 2020
    Minimum Requirements

CPU : Intel core i7 4770k or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    RAM : 8GB of RAM
    GPU : Nvidia GTX 1050 or AMD Radeon RX570 with at least 4GB Vram

Recommended Requirements

CPU : Intel core i7 9700k or AMD Ryzen 3 3300x
    RAM : 16GB of RAM
    GPU : Nvidia GTX 1660 Super or AMD Radeon RX5600 XT wtih at least 6GB Vram

I think the above requirements is a balance between mid end to mid-high end computer. I hope the official requirement is more or less similar to what I made.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 132 Member
    Let's not forget that the crummy spec requirements for TS4 weren't because they wanted to be "friendly to old machines." It was because they wanted it to be a more shallow online game, which have lower reqs than regular games, that they had to make offline in just two years. If they had spent the time fixing the engine or reworking it we may have gotten a 2015-2016 release date and an overall much better game.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    > @Onverser said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They can just add graphics options in settings like past games and then everyone's happy. You get the amazing graphics if you have the best computers and players who have mid range computers can still enjoy the game. Win win situation and nobody's excluded.
    >
    > I get where you're coming from because the Sims 4 being made to work on potato laptops is ridiculous, but $600+ modern PCs are not that bad and should be able to run the game fine on lower graphics settings. The game should be for mid range computers and above, not for potato computers

I agree, offering multiple graphics options offers a balance between accessibility and quality

But if they make it mid range and above, they will miss out on a lot of sales. I bought a potato laptop to play the sims 4, and It worked just fine for the first couple of years. I had everything that came before city living on it, and it did fine till toddlers come out.
    After, I did invest in a good asus laptop with air vents on the side, a 1070 graphics card and I think 16gb memory. And it was not cheap, I’m hoping it will work fine for the sims 5 for the first few years. But like I said.... they will lose money if they make the requirements too high to start. And I just can’t see EA passing up money like that....

Why is this logic only applied to the sims games? Tons of other games have high requirements and dont lose money. Besides sims isnt their only revenue anyway.
    I just can’t see EA passing up money......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy

Just it's streaming, you need a good internet connection, nothing else.

That's the issue right there. Not everyone wants to depend on the internet for gaming. I know that I don't. When my internet goes out, I'm still capable of playing games if I want to.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy

Just it's streaming, you need a good internet connection, nothing else.

That's the issue right there. Not everyone wants to depend on the internet for gaming. I know that I don't. When my internet goes out, I'm still capable of playing games if I want to.

Exactly! Sometimes we have bad storms and lose net for hours, I like to be able to still play without an internet connection.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the crummy spec requirements for TS4 weren't because they wanted to be "friendly to old machines." It was because they wanted it to be a more shallow online game, which have lower reqs than regular games, that they had to make offline in just two years. If they had spent the time fixing the engine or reworking it we may have gotten a 2015-2016 release date and an overall much better game.

Thank you!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?