Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could we please fix the hair swatches ?

Ok so you know the lightest blonde swatch ? Well it doesn't always look great. Sometimes it's even downright gross. I don't use that swatch all the time, but some hairs are just unusable in that color. They look green-ish and weird. Here's a few examples.

jrnCT46.png
LtA90oW.png
ERhhOkG.png
ILjGv2X.png
u0t4plW.png
ifXDFI6.png

Comments

• Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Agreed 👍 some of them won't even look like the same color.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Right ? Same goes for the darker blonde swatch too, but that swatch is already odd.
    Agreed 👍 some of them won't even look like the same color.

• Options
    SamlishSamlish Posts: 232 Member
    Literally the darker blonde (the one after the golden blonde) swatch literally matches nothing! The other day I used a fitness stuff hair and it looked just like the blonde listed above! Then there is a jungle adventure hair that looks like the golden blonde swatch! :/
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @samlish Do you mean this swatch ? It looks so unrealistic.

gCDSObq.png
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Samlish wrote: »
    Literally the darker blonde (the one after the golden blonde) swatch literally matches nothing! The other day I used a fitness stuff hair and it looked just like the blonde listed above! Then there is a jungle adventure hair that looks like the golden blonde swatch! :/

They did that with the cat ears hair from Cats and Dogs too :/
  • Options
    sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited August 2020
    This has always gotten on my nerves...

I want my Sim to have these hairstyles ... but it's too jarring that the colors/shading changes of the same swatch, in the same lighting:

As an example only (although it applies to all of the swatches), we'll use this swatch:
    Q8aPUDA.png
    Orangeish:
    Hew4bMC.png

Red:
    hGVnMaK.png

Brownish:
    15mCRee.png

Shiny:
    uc0qzZB.png

Bland/flat:
    mQ9o2a0.png

Shiny:
    cG1nvwN.png

Shaved version of the same style above, but ... in a flat material?:
    HugHn0k.png

Edit: Oh right, and then there's THIS — yes, it's the same swatch!:
    BRYuBCV.png

If this were the 3D program Maya, it's as if the meshes' materials are either Lambert (flat) vs. Blinn (shiny). And yet — they're all for the same swatch. And they're not even the same color. How can you say those swatches are all the same hair?
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    @sketches ugh.. that drives me crazy as well, especially when trying to match hairstyles for different outfits. Also don’t even get me started on the black swatches, or should I say weird grayish blue?
  • Options
    PieceOfPrincessPieceOfPrincess Posts: 150 Member
    I also hate the fact, especially with the blonde tones, that the color is different for many hairstyles. For example: I have long hair with daily wear, want to do an updo for evening, the tone is completely off, also with pony tails etc. they are lighter, darker, shiny or puffy.
    And I just dont find it realistic to have the same hairstyle with all of my outfits: i like to mix it up per style
    Play the "Pac(k)-man Challenge" Find it in my Google Doc or Copy it from the Forum!
    FIND THE LATEST RULES AND ROLLS FOR THE SIMS 4 RANDOM LEGACY IN THIS BLOG.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'd like to see this fixed. Some swatches and styles aren't as noticeable, but some are just way off. I like to mix up hairstyles per outfit but some I can't use with others because it looks like the sim dyed their hair just to go to bed. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    True. The sim on the picture I posted to show the darker blonde swatch normally has bangs, so I can’t change her hairstyle for every outfit because there aren’t many updos with bangs.

quote="PieceOfPrincess;c-17613894"]I also hate the fact, especially with the blonde tones, that the color is different for many hairstyles. For example: I have long hair with daily wear, want to do an updo for evening, the tone is completely off, also with pony tails etc. they are lighter, darker, shiny or puffy.
    And I just dont find it realistic to have the same hairstyle with all of my outfits: i like to mix it up per style[/quote]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Dianesims wrote: »
    True. The sim on the picture I posted to show the darker blonde swatch normally has bangs, so I can’t change her hairstyle for every outfit because there aren’t many updos with bangs.

It would have been great if they'd have designed each long/medium hairstyle with an "updo" version. It kind of peeves me that my Sim has to change her part differently, and sometimes has to have inconsistent bangs just to get a pulled-back or up-done hairdo.

Of course, it wasn't until much later that they separated hair by length and updos (which was brilliant, by the way :)), but even without that category foresight, I do wish they would think that way when designing each hairstyle. Maybe it's not too late for them to remake some of the hair, and to introduce updo versions of the current hairstyles without them (or "down-dos" of the premade updos).

#FixThePersonalities
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    No offense but what hair have to do with game play. We are looking at over a dozen bugs and ours Sims can not own a vacation home. There is no pool slide and the baby is still a object. Can we please fix the game first then you can play dress up all day long.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I would love to see more hairstyle swatches but I think gameplay has priority since it's lacking a lot more.
    But yeah. If they have time for both then both..
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    No offense but what hair have to do with game play. We are looking at over a dozen bugs and ours Sims can not own a vacation home. There is no pool slide and the baby is still a object. Can we please fix the game first then you can play dress up all day long.

This comes because of the fix the skin tone and haircolor uprising on twitter, where the simgurus promised to take a deeper look and want to change something the end. Basically it is now the last chance to get something change for the bad looking blond hair. So it's worth a try.

Personally the pure yellow I never take, because it looks too unrealistic. The platin blonds it's only suitable until the children grow up to teenager. Mostly then the blond hair color darkened with the time, in really rare cases it stays platin blond.

So it's always the same blond hairtone I choose, and sometimes the hairstyles looks just weird with it.
  • Options
    I would love to see more hairstyle swatches but I think gameplay has priority since it's lacking a lot more.
    But yeah. If they have time for both then both..

You make a good point, but the hair and skin swatches should have been addressed MUCH sooner. Both of them have been requested fixes for much longer than these new gameplay glitches (which only result in EA giving us "more content," by the way... instead of fixing content first).

From a story-telling perspective, aesthetic consistency like hair, skin, and other CAS details (and heck, also build/buy swatches) are extremely important in gameplay. Of course, not everyone "makes a story" for their gameplay — we all play in different ways, which is awesome — but it's the same reason you are asking for "functional" fixes (vs. aesthetic fixes). It is all about gameplay.

#FixThePersonalities
  • Options
    Since this thread is about fixing the hair swatches, I thought it would be nice to mention the blue looking black swatches :

iwcwKgl.png
    Qb57rqK.png

Here's a cc hair (so pretty !!) that actually looks black, to show the difference.
    DLpIyMa.png