March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game development cost and content?

2...Next

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am not willing to pay more.
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    no, tf?? why u gotta pay more for a product that should've already met the expectations? so are we normalizing mediocrity now?

Yes, that is the norm now.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    IIRC, TS3 stuff packs were 20$. TS4 game packs have the same price tag and yet we get loads of stuff, new worlds and new gameplay (something that TS3 stuff packs didn’t include). Therefore, if they are able to pull that off, I don’t know what’s the deal with TS4 EPs and their lack of content in comparison to previous iterations?

I can't say for everyone but for me a lot of the game packs and even stuff packs feel like they should've been part of the EP instead of seperate packs. If they were then EPs wouldn't feel like they have lack in content and would be worth the current price tag not an additional cost.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    IIRC, TS3 stuff packs were 20$. TS4 game packs have the same price tag and yet we get loads of stuff, new worlds and new gameplay (something that TS3 stuff packs didn’t include). Therefore, if they are able to pull that off, I don’t know what’s the deal with TS4 EPs and their lack of content in comparison to previous iterations?

Some of that stuff you get with Sims 4 packs were free once upon an time like Neighborhoods for one as end users had access to world building tools that allowed users to make their own worlds. Now users have to wait for new Neighborhoods which cost money now. So for me the Sims 3 packs was the better value and also Sims 4 Stuff packs do not offer new neighborhoods.
    But Sims 3 also charged $20 or slightly more for worlds like Dragon Valley, Roaring Heights, and Monte Vista. But these worlds were huge, so it's hard to compare them to Sims 4 $10 stuff packs.

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Nope. Although some of the previous features are quite interesting, I would rather have new & innovative features/gameplay by incorporating the old elements with a new one.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • simslover1145simslover1145 Posts: 304 Member

Some of that stuff you get with Sims 4 packs were free once upon an time like Neighborhoods for one as end users had access to world building tools that allowed users to make their own worlds. Now users have to wait for new Neighborhoods which cost money now. So for me the Sims 3 packs was the better value and also Sims 4 Stuff packs do not offer new neighborhoods.

I wasn’t really comparing Sims 3 and Sims 4, but my comment was more about how they are able to fit so much into a 20$ game pack, but don’t manage to accomplish the same for EPs (in Sims 4).

AphoticLee wrote: »

I can't say for everyone but for me a lot of the game packs and even stuff packs feel like they should've been part of the EP instead of seperate packs. If they were then EPs wouldn't feel like they have lack in content and would be worth the current price tag not an additional cost.

And I absolutely agree! This approach is something I really dislike about Sims 4.

Starry-Night-Over-The-Rhone.jpg?ts=1459229076
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    No, I wouldn't. We already pay more as it is with how they break up content we got bundled together in previous versions of the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would be willing to pay up to 10 dollars more for a expansion pack if it meant getting packs like earlier Sims games
    I would be willing to pay a little more for better quality products like the previous games but I don't think we should have to at the same time. The packs already have quite a high price tag and we should not have to pay extra for them to deliver better quality in their products.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2020
    no, tf?? why u gotta pay more for a product that should've already met the expectations? so are we normalizing mediocrity now?

Unfortunately, The Sims fan base has gotten to the point where they'll literally pay for anything... I mean, don't forget people still bought 'My First Pet' (DLC for DLC) and paid $10 for a Murphy bed... lol

I've said it many times before... EA could release a "Sims 4: Garbage Stuff Pack" and players would be overly excited about it and buy it on day one... it's sad and disturbing...

so true. not only this, but watch those ppl defending ea no matter what. "they work hard on the packs" "they have limited budget" "stop being so negative and be thankful about what they give us" "nowadays videogames are too advanced so they have to be expensive" "i have fun paying 10 dollars for virtual laundry" "they will end the franchise if we don't buy every pack!" etc etc

Honestly, that last one though... lol With Paralives on its way, and that game looking so much better with every update we've gotten so far, I'm perfectly fine with The Sims ending, while Paralives takes over the life simulator market. It's about time The Sims gets some real competition!

i too hope ea gets some competition on the life simulation field for them to start investing more on the sims and give justice to the franchise

Yes, that is the norm now.

apparently it is, hopefully this will change.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Nah, they're pricey enough already.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I would be willing to pay up to 10 dollars more for a expansion pack if it meant getting packs like earlier Sims games

When you say "world building tools" are you referring to Mods? If so, then I would rather wait for the sims to to release their own expansions. Mods can reek havoc with your game.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The packs already cost too much.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    No, this is the Sims 4 not a remake of 1, 2 or 3. The Sims 4 stands on it's own. The Sims is a franchise that has 4 versions. The Sims 4 is not and sequel or remake. I want new content or something that expands or enhances past content as long as it is done well. IMO they missed the mark on somethings like mermaids etc.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Other companies make games that cost a whole lot less and deliver a whole lot more. This company is already giving us ridiculously bad quality and quantity for the price charged. Paying more to a company that does bad work just makes no sense.

I'd rather do business with someone who does quality work, period, and always delivers my money's worth every time.
    edited August 2020
    haneul wrote: »

But Sims 3 also charged $20 or slightly more for worlds like Dragon Valley, Roaring Heights, and Monte Vista. But these worlds were huge, so it's hard to compare them to Sims 4 $10 stuff packs.

Yes, EA/Maxis sold some worlds but it was not something you had to buy as again you were able to make your own worlds and with Sims 4 you do not have that flexibility. Also, EA/Maxis had sales and eventually gave some of the worlds away for free. Another thing regardless of version SPs did not contain worlds or Neighborhoods and Sims 2 and 3 never had GPs. Only EPs offer worlds and in Sims 4 if I am not mistaken an GP did have an neighborhood.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited August 2020

When you say "world building tools" are you referring to Mods? If so, then I would rather wait for the sims to to release their own expansions. Mods can reek havoc with your game.
    No, it was the tools EA/Maxis provided for free and it was called CAW.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Every iteration pack price goes up by $10, so paying more hasn't made a difference since Sims 1 days. If anything it has resulted in more microtransactions over the years.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    Every iteration pack price goes up by $10, so paying more hasn't made a difference since Sims 1 days. If anything it has resulted in more microtransactions over the years.

So true.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am fine with the current pack prices and content for TS4. If a pack interests me, I will buy it when I can. Sometimes that's when a sale happens. Sometimes I am able to snap it up at full price, and am happy to do so. I see no reason to change things. The deep dives into Nifty Knitting development showed us how complex even Stuff Pack development is. I like the pace of releases. More content, even with budget to allow it, would take exponentially more TIME. I'd rather have modest packs sooner.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm going to look at this through the lens of percentages here. (all prices are in USD)

Alright, so the base game costs about $40 now. An Expansion Pack also costs $40, that's 100% of the cost of the base game. Does the average expansion pack deliver the equivalent of a base game worth of additional content to the game? No. It adds one to three new traits, an additional skill or two, a handful of hair and clothing options, one world, 2-3 new careers, and one or two major features. Comparing the current base game to your average EP, an EP only delivers about 30%-40% (generous estimate) of a base game's worth of content on average. Better to buy EP's when they're half-off at $20.

If we look at all the external factors, the price of everything in general is rising with inflation, meanwhile, the wages of the average American have been stagnating for decades, and companies across the board have been trying to get away with giving customers less for more for at least the last 20 years. The only remedy for this is to be as smart a shopper as possible and buy everything on sale or with a coupon whenever you can, video games included, because just about everyone out there trying to sell you something is trying to fleece you to some extent.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    EA is a billion dollar company, why they can't have more content for packs while keeping the prices the same is boggling.

At least the Sims 4 Store isn't a thing.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 2020
    I already only buy EPs and GPs when there’s a sale; I wouldn’t pay more. I’m just a casual Simmer though. It’s an escape when life gets tough for me. I’d stop with what I have if they increased the price or stopped doing sales. I would be reluctant if the game would actually improve even if they increased costs. Does your food improve when grocery stores increase costs?
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    @CheesySimsLover the grocery thing is not a good comparison. Technology is a completely different outlier on production/costs/necessity/desirability. It would make more sense to compare to other game companies or technology. But I understand that it's not something your willing to pay more. Fair enough. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I voted yes I’ll pay more thinking it was paying more for sims 5 (when we get there)... Not sims 4 (I felt like I spent enough on the game already.)

I bought most of my games in bundles and I think a brief time stuff packs were on sale... Heck I got used to reviewers saying stuff packs are half the time worth five dollars so when I was going to buy nifty knitting I was surprised it was ten dollars... I’m not sure if it was worth it (eco lifestyle was the pack that got me really into wanting to play sims 4, but it and the update to get my game prepared made it to where I had to restart everything...

For my game ALWAYS I age down Dina, Don, Nina, to match Cassandra’s age. I also age Siobhan Fyres and her boyfriend into teens so their group is both all teens and a bit more like the plastics... I also update and make over every sim. I made Johnny Zest look like a cool 18 year old (some of the YAs look over 30 in this game so that wasn’t easy.)

It takes weeks to make my sims look good and give the game my touches so I can have fun (but first I have to play that dumb strangerville story so those sims can live normal lives again. Then I decide to play and explore things on my terms. (AKA start to have fun) But I can’t now the game is so broken I’m afraid to play with it.

Where is the expansion that fixes eco lifestyle’s issues, yes we will need an expansion pact to fix it, (and yes I know modders do it for free but then sims 4 has another dumb update which makes us unable to use their fixes.

I’m actually afraid of playing my game, right now.
  • EvilWitch83EvilWitch83 Posts: 140 Member
    No. They are already far too expensive as it is, which is why I always wait for sales. In Sims 2, I used to buy expansions at launch for £14.99 - £17.99 and they had far more content than the expansions for Sims 4 at £34.99.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

expansion pack price hasn't gone up in over a decade. last it went up was in the end of sims 2 lifespan, in like 2007, when it got bumped to $40 and has remained $40 ever since.

sims 1 expansions were $30, brand new without sales. so it's only gone up $10, over the entire series duration, not every pack iteration.