Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does placing new lots cause corruption?

I'm getting a mixed bag of results googling.

Basically I want to give riverview a try but there's really not many empty lots, not enough for my needs anyway. But apparently placing new lots using edit town causes corruption. Myth or true? Because there's sooo much empty space in riverview that could be put to good use
ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I place new lots often and don't notice problems. I think the concern was more about breaking the world routing than like save corruption. A few years ago, I read a lot about it, too, and remember someone (maybe more than one someone) saying they'd only change a couple things in a game session, save and exit, then do more again later, which at least seemed to allow the game to rebuild the routing. So, that's the approach I've always taken. You could keep saves under different names along the way, so you can back up if something problematic pops up.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    I noticed that placing new lots on intersections can completely mess up routing. At least that was the case when I did that near the intersection where Pinochle Pond Rd. starts in SV. That's all I have to contribute here.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    As I know of, placing lots by themselves won't cause corruption. However, there is a warning about placing objects on the edge of a lot. Now, I don't remember what the exact warning was, it may have had something to do with routing or it may have had something to do with rendering (or some other issue). All I can tell you is at the time I heard it I began to change the way in which I designed lots. As far as placing goes, I haven't had any issues with placing lots from other saves, worlds or games.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    I place new lots often and don't notice problems. I think the concern was more about breaking the world routing than like save corruption. A few years ago, I read a lot about it, too, and remember someone (maybe more than one someone) saying they'd only change a couple things in a game session, save and exit, then do more again later, which at least seemed to allow the game to rebuild the routing. So, that's the approach I've always taken. You could keep saves under different names along the way, so you can back up if something problematic pops up.
    ^^This.

My experience in most worlds has been adding no more than 2 or maybe 3 lots per Edit Town session and then giving the game a chance to rebuild its world routing by saving, quitting and reloading, and playing it forward for a bit is fine. Too many changes all at once can break things, although usually a MC Reset Everything (run from City Hall's MC Town menu) and the presence of the NRaas GoHere mod, which injects its own world routing mechanism into the game, help smooth things over. How many is too many probably depends on the size, location, and nature of the lots. Adding 8 or more 10x10 residentials all in the same general area with nothing much on them all at once is probably fine, but not likely what one usually wants to do.

The reason this is an issue and not totally a myth is that lots we add by way of Edit Town in-game are not embedded into the world in the same manner as they would be if they were added/changed in the world's design phase by using CAW, but rather kind of sit on top of things. That makes an in-game edited world with new lot footprints added (without using CAW) different, or special if you like, but not by definition broken or corrupt.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Great, I'll give it a go then. I'm seeing some prime real estate on that map :D I play very slowly so it'll be built up slowly of course :)1-2 lots at a time maybe.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Just an added thought: I added a farm lot in Riverview out somewhere where there was a road but not much development, and there was some very noticeable road and/or sidewalk tearing out there. Ellacharmed has a fixed version of it that you might want to think about using (I haven't used it - yet - but her fixes are usually well regarded): https://www.modthesims.info/d/514904/riverview-world-with-fixes-applied-updated-2014-02-04.html
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • SimmerusSimmerus Posts: 7 New Member
    I haven't noticed anything different after placing lots...