Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Nifty Knitting Review

12345679...Next

Comments

• Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    edited August 2020
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    Reading all these dense opinions defending this pack is a good laugh. They are totally missing the point that the ones who see what this game is becoming are trying to make .

Edited to not fancy anyone’s feelings ;)

I commonly disagree with opinions on this site (and others), and i'm not shy when it comes to confrontation. But at least I can say that I still treat people with respect. I can't say the same for you. Name calling ("brain dead"), and character labeling (being of... dense opinions) are attitudes I can't defend.

People, regardless of their opinions, are not "brain dead". Nor are their opinions "dense". Having you suggest otherwise, says more about you, than the people you are insulting.

Try creating a post explaining your issue with the comments..... what don't you agree with? Why do you think they are wrong? What exactly is your problem? Give people a chance to understand your side of the story, and a chance to explain better their side.

Its called a conversation (debate).

1+ You’re right. Sometimes the truth hurts and it’s better to sugar coat everything . Also, respect is earned not given . People have the right to their opinions & at the end of the day this is the internet. You’re gonna have people disagree & call it out how it is. I’m not going to continue going back & forth with people who are have difficulties realizing the truth . But thanks for your thoughts. I will sleep better at night now <3

I disagree that respect needs to be earned. I believe it should be given to everyone and that everyone deserves to be respected.

They may be able to lose respect later, calling people braindead or dense would be a good way to lose that respect, but to start with everyone should be given it and having a different opinion or enjoying something many dislike would not in the slightest be a reason to lose respect for someone. I only lose respect for people who bully, name call, troll or act in another disrepectful manner themselves.

It seems you don't realize what the word respect means.

Respect: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

This is earned not give by definition.

What you are describing is courtesy.

Courtesy: the showing of politeness in one's attitude and behavior toward others.
    This should be given not earned.

I can be courteous to you without having respect for your opinions or position on a subject.

Now on to the response.
    I happen to agree with LGR 100% on this review.
    That said I didn't come to my decision not to by the SP just on his say so.
    In fact I have not bought a EP/GP/SP for full price since Strangerville (P.S. Roosterteeth should sue for that one)
    And have not bought a SP since "My first pet".

The reason for this is I refuse to open my wallet and give EA money for ripping us off.
    This has been an ongoing theme with the Sims 4 of taking Sims 3 EP cutting out up to 70% of their content and selling them as as full EP with 30% of the Sims 3 content then selling the remaining content as SP or just leaving it out altogether.
    This SP is more of the same "Here's the first of many watered-down hobby SP that could have been in a larger EP but we can make more money on them if we split them up".

So this one will be on the if it get down to 50%+ off I may buy it list.
    I see that you took one definition of respect, while ignoring others. If you really want to look up the technical definition, right under the first one you googled it says "2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others."

And yes, EVERYONE deserves respect (regard for their feelings and wishes etc) off the bat.

But okay let's go with igoring half the the definition and settle on your definition only... I still give admiration to someone based on their qualities from the get go, because I assume that they have good qualities until they have proven otherwise.

Respect should be given to everyone, and so should courtesy.

Funny outside of the two definition that have already been discussed
    1.a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    2. polite behavior toward or care for someone or something that you think is important.

The definition you provided only shows in two sources the LEXICO and the Stanford athletics association ethics site.
    Neither are official scholastic dictionaries.

Again my point is that to me and most if not all people I have met in my 40+ years of life respect is earned and that will always be the case to me, but if you just want to give it out that's up to you.
    Just don't go claiming that everyone needs to follow your example.

Fair enough then. Have it your way. For you, i'll adopt your way of life.

You will get my respect when you earn it. Till then.... you will go without.

I would say ... have fun with that. But I trust you won't.

But then again. Treat others as you wish to be treated doesn't exist for you... so also fair enough.

For your peace of mind, I hope others don't adopt this attitude as well. Because i'm not sure how many other people's respect you've earned so far. And by your rules.... if you didn't earn it yet.... well. You know the story.

Social politics.... crazy game isn't it?

Again you seem to think that have not earned respect in my eyes means that courtesy is not due.
    As I have said they are two different things so that is not the case.

@Tenchi2a, sorry for butting in, but what about this:

I’m about to enter a busy train station. There’s a woman pushing a buggy with a toddler and all her shopping bags in it, behind me. I don’t know her. What I do know is that her hands are full, because not only is she pushing a buggy, she’s also carrying a tiny dog in a bag.
    Me? I’m only carrying one laptop bag strapped across my chest, hands free. You know the kind.

Out of respect for my fellow beings, because hey, we kinda share the same space and stuff, I have the courtesy to open the door for her and her toddler and her doggie. It’s an old station, so they’re not automatic doors.
    It’s much easier for me to open the door and keep it open, than it is for the woman to open the door. Or the kid. Or the dog. Because the dog is in a bag. It’s not even trained to stand on its own feet, let alone open doors.

Anyway. If I didn’t respect them as fellow beings, I probably wouldn’t have had the courtesy to open the door for them. I’d have entered the station and disregard anyone in front or behind me. Shut the door without even looking. Woman and kid and dog struggling to get inside all they like I couldn’t care less.Even if they were about to miss the train.

What if I was late for my train? I’d still respect them enough (because fellow beings) to have the courtesy to hold the door open for them. Because they are, after all, solid, emotional beings and getting a door in your face hurts. I know it does.

Do respect and courtesy not kind of go hand in hand? Should respect not be there before courtesy can even exist?
    Is courtesy not a manifestation of respect?

When I lose respect for someone I will probably also lose courtesy. My good manners fade. And that’s not nice. So where can I find all that in the dictionary?

This entire question assumes that I either have to respect someone or disrespect someone.
    This is the same as saying "If you don't agree with me 100% then you disagree with everything I say.
    In truth I can have an entirely neutral opinion of someone.
    In other words I can have no opinion on someone whatsoever but still treat them civil.
    And as simgirl1010 stated, I to know quite a few people that I have no respect for that I still treat courtesy due to their position.
    I also don't go around insulting people just because they have not earned my respect yet.
    As an answer to your last question, No courtesy is not a manifestation of respect, it is a manifestation of social norms required for us to function as a society.
    I don't have to respect the woman in the above statement to hold the door for her, but I am showing the courtesy instilled by social norms in doing so.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    also I think you have to earn respect because it means a lot when some says they respect you
    thats why when someone talks about someone who really good at there job they say they have a lot of respect for them as a doctor or teacher
    and they are well thought of I don't think you can really give that kind of respect unless you know someone thats what you mean isn't it
    @Tenchi2a
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    To be honest I did not even watched the review, but based of the discussion here, it must of been an one powerful review...
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    To be honest I did not even watched the review, but based of the discussion here, it must of been an one powerful review...

Not really, LGR just didn't like it, so you got more of the usual.

I think your sim is pretty and I agree lgr same only less funny @Tenchi2a

I think your sim is pretty and I agree lgr same only less funny @Tenchi2a

TY :)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2020
    Look, I think it's pretty obvious that amongst the many definitions of respect, what we are talking about here is a very specific example. And while I will continue to respect every person I come across irl or online without expecting them to earn it, by any definition of the word, because that is what I believe is the right thing to do, we are specifically referring to treating others respectfully enough to not call them braindead for enjoying a different game. That's what this is about. The person calling people braindead started this by saying that they will call them braindead because respect should be earned, and that's when I chimed in. I do NOT believe that it is right to name call to someone just because they haven't had a chance to earn respect yet.

You can call it courtesy instead of respect if you want to be technical about it, (although it IS covered under the definition of respect too, they may be different but there IS some overlap in the definitions), it really doesn't matter WHAT you call it, no one should have to EARN the right to not be called names, bullied, harassed or whatever else you want to call it and THAT is what we are talking about here.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't believe courtesy is a manifestation of respect. I know several people for whom I have little respect, for various reasons, but I'm still courteous and civil when in their presence.

Isn’t that because you naturally respect your fellow human beings? I thought the kind of respect we’re talking about here is a more primeval consideration for someone’s surroundings. Something inherent to a human being.

I respect my environment because I need it to survive. Humans and other animals are part of this environment and I respect the fact that they too need to survive within that same environment. So we can live together. That’s why we and other animals have territories, may it be as a property we dwell in, our personal space, etc. That’s why we try to keep our physical distance from people we don’t know well enough. Otherwise we’ll be constantly biting each other’s heads off.

Courtesy are those well mannered things we do, we have been taught to do within our social environment, as a way of showing that respect.
    Good Morning Neighbour. Lovely day! I won’t let my dog do its business on your lawn, because on an instinctive level I’m aware that your personal space is not my or my dog’s personal space (respect) so I have the courtesy to bring it someplace else.

But even with the tiniest little respect left, one can be courteous.

Maybe I think like a caveman. If that’s the case, I’m quite happy about it. :)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Anyway, back to LGR’s review.
    I respect him as a fellow human being.
    I personally respect him as someone who does their job well.

I don’t agree with every single thing he says. That doesn’t mean I’ll go and send him a message to tell him he and all his followers are brainless.
    I’m always ready to listen and think about what others have to say.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I couldn't finish this. His tone is snotty and condescending from the get-go, and I am disinclined to fight through his lousy attitude to sift out any actually useful information.

Is he always like this? Must be a lot of fun at parties.

Totally agree, I’m glad someone finally said it lol...

edited August 2020

I don’t agree with every single thing he says. That doesn’t mean I’ll go and send him a message to tell him he and all his followers are brainless.

yes I think he does his job well to but I still don't think he cover all he should have in the pack
    he didn't even talk about the things I like most about it and they were a big reason I bought the pack
    he didn't talk about the interactions with the rocking chair my favorite part of the whole pack @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    also I agree with you I don't like name calling @SimAlexandria I think we all agree people should be treated kindly
    I think we all just got lost talking about what respect means to us or as Aretha Franklin would say R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me
    don't let the name callers bother you they can't change what we think sims 4 is my favorite sims game no matter what they
    say
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I do watch LGR reviews, and do base my judgement on what he says about Sims. A big percent of my decision are him and negative views (if the views of other simmers are laid out in a fashion and not I hate EA views). LGR suits the way I look at the game. Hmm... his view for me is we both love the older sims games and are not too impressed with the new version. He gives enough detail about the pack for me.. the other simmer (in forum) reviews top the notch.

I always go by negative reviews and then good reviews (even purchasing non game items). Die hard fans tend to over look the flaws or just make excuses for said flaws in any product. So, if a product sold 100,000. 90% of the reviews were high and the rest bad reviews, I would look at the bad reviews and weigh out the positive reviews on what I like or do not. I have won more than not doing this in all products I purchase and yes, I have not bought a product that had 95% positive reviews, because of negative reviews. Always inspect the negative before the positive and base on your style, want, and etc on what deems best for you. Not all popular things have been good on the human race.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! I've removed a few comments that were off-topic. Please remember to keep things friendly and constructive. Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz

yes I think he does his job well to but I still don't think he cover all he should have in the pack
    he didn't even talk about the things I like most about it and they were a big reason I bought the pack
    he didn't talk about the interactions with the rocking chair my favorite part of the whole pack @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    also I agree with you I don't like name calling @SimAlexandria I think we all agree people should be treated kindly
    I think we all just got lost talking about what respect means to us or as Aretha Franklin would say R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me
    don't let the name callers bother you they can't change what we think sims 4 is my favorite sims game no matter what they
    say

I def agree sims 4 is the best version haha. And no worries. The name calling doesn't bother me when it's directed at myself.. But when it's directed at others and the person says they can call that person names cuz they haven't earned their respect yet.. That's when I feel like I should step in. Haha.
    gamekitten wrote: »
    I do watch LGR reviews, and do base my judgement on what he says about Sims. A big percent of my decision are him and negative views (if the views of other simmers are laid out in a fashion and not I hate EA views). LGR suits the way I look at the game. Hmm... his view for me is we both love the older sims games and are not too impressed with the new version. He gives enough detail about the pack for me.. the other simmer (in forum) reviews top the notch.

I always go by negative reviews and then good reviews (even purchasing non game items). Die hard fans tend to over look the flaws or just make excuses for said flaws in any product. So, if a product sold 100,000. 90% of the reviews were high and the rest bad reviews, I would look at the bad reviews and weigh out the positive reviews on what I like or do not. I have won more than not doing this in all products I purchase and yes, I have not bought a product that had 95% positive reviews, because of negative reviews. Always inspect the negative before the positive and base on your style, want, and etc on what deems best for you. Not all popular things have been good on the human race.

I think it totally makes sense to go by him if u usually agree with what he has to say. I don't so I don't go by him haha. But I also don't buy products based on percent of reviews so much as what the reviews say. I've found several wonderful long lasting products with a high amount of poor reviews but when you read them they were nothing to do with the product itself. Stuff like "this puzzle is too hard for my 3 year old" when yes, it's marked for age 3 and up but im buying for a 6 year old, arent going to affect me. With sims reviews if someone goes on about how terrible island living (my Fav pack) is because mermaids aren't that fleshed out but I'd never play mermaids... Or if tiny living has loads of bad reviews cuz the bed breaks too easy but I'm buying for the console and wouldn't use the bed.. Well the negative reviews become useless to me. So I don't go by them First.. I read them but usually last. And not at all for Sims products cuz everything is shown when I buy and I haven't found a single sim reviewer that normally agrees with my opinions. If I could find one I'd take their thoughts into consideration though lol

On the other hand my reasons for not liking lgr are nothing to do with what he says about the game haha
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Personally, I do like his reviews. Sometimes I agree with comments he makes, other times I do not, but this is what happens to everyone else, right? I do not entirely base my buying of packs on his reviews, but he is funny and critical a lot of the time. Because I easily get bored with games in general, and The Sims 4 for that matter, I tend to find that I crave different things from a pack as my creativity changes. For instance, when Island Living was released, I was super excited about Mermaids and I ended up really liking them, even though they weren't as fleshed out as I'd like. But other times, I caught myself reminiscing about Sulani, its calmness and picturesque views -a world I hated upon release, mind you- and actually planning stories in my head for my next save file.

What I'm trying to say is that some Simmers, myself included, focus on different things at different times and most of the packs remain versatile even after weeks and months of constant gameplay. Well, mostly EPs and GPs, for obvious reasons. I know I've had my ups and downs with The Sims 4 -don't get me started on babies and family gameplay in general- but I often find myself discovering 'new' aspects of EP, GP, and yes, even SP features that I have overlooked during previous gameplay sessions.

Overall, I think he does what he does well and despite some disagreements, I respect him to the fullest extent.