Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to get the Most of Island Living?

Island Living was a pretty expansion pack for me but I don;t find the gameplay that interesting compared to TS3 IP. I rarely visit in Sulani because of that. To those who Enjoy the pack, What are some underrated features out there and How do you get the most of Island Living?

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2020
    Sulani has actually turned out to be one of my favorite worlds. I like the technical world in 4 more than 3's, it's beautiful, but I 100% understand why you would want underwater gameplay instead (plus I had more than one private island to choose from in 3, which I miss). Swimming is fairly fun for me, though.

So, beyond enjoying the mermaid life state, a lot of the time I like to play an off the grid family in Sulani. I think in functioned fairly well in the conservation area anyway, but add EL pack items and it really rounds out well. Plus if you live there you can feel the effects of conservation first hand and do not have to touch the career.

Maybe I just like being close to virtual nature, but the scenic surroundings and little wild touches I find very appealing for off the grid play. I loved and dearly missed Sims Castaway, and this is as close as I have gotten since Castaway stories. (I expected more from the homage items in 3 and was kind of disappointed. I spent most of my time on a houseboat in that world.)

This all being said, I do not typically visit Sulani. I have to live there to really enjoy it.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited August 2020
    I did something kinda fun on that private island in the volcanic neighborhood. Ever watch Naked & Afraid?

I made 2 sims with just undies as all their clothing options, and had them go nude whenever possible. I gave them a garbage can, a camp fire, and a woohoo/nap bush. I took away the rest of their money. They had to live off food they found by digging through the sand, catching fish and eating that (I didn’t allow them to roast anything else but fish) and they could swim across the water to pick harvestables but they weren’t allowed to plant them. They gained hygiene by swimming in the waterfall, swimming in general, or showering in the rain. I wanted to see how long they would last. It was too easy there.

Then I started over, moving them into the area where all those tiny islands are... there’s a peninsula nearby that I cleared for them. I didn’t allow them to go into the mainland at all, they had to survive from one plant that came up on one of the little islands, fish, or trash. It was really fun!

ETA: Come to think of it, I didn’t allow them to fish with a fishing pole. They had to use the fish trap.
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i build a home in sulani and take my time to make it rather special ....it is fully furnished for the family that will use it...then i have my family move to that home in the winter to "vacation" and they stay there until winter and early spring has ended ...then they move back to their "main" home for the remainder of spring, summer and fall...very easy to do... just leave all your furniture behind so the next time you go back you have everything you need. the types of activities my sims engage in... change over seasons..i play with aging turned off and age sims up as i need them to...you can create your own customs and sets of friends as your story line and family has a need. Generally the first time my sims go is once my beginning and single sim has met someone and has married..so they begin there on a honeymoon as a new couple and then of course things change within that home as pets, children, and grandparents come into play. There is much to enjoy on the island that is not available when the sims move back "home" so the environmental is really a fresh change of pace ...your sims might find a sea shell that has a mystery of some sort or meet a mermaid when they believed they don't really exist ...learn new recipes and discover a newfound respect for mother nature ..it is always fun to watch your sim family grow not only in what they experience but in how they change their point of views!
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited July 2020
    - Awesome build/buy mode items
    - Decent selection of new CAS items
    - Swim in the ocean
    - Enjoy the beautiful, scenic nature of volcanoes, waterfalls and sunsets
    - Make sandcastles anywhere in Sulani
    - Befriend dolphins
    - Go SCUBA diving
    - Awesome cuisine
    - Laid-back culture
    - Get cool underwater photographs, if you're into the photograph skill (or into unique wall art)
    - WooHoo under the waterfall
    - Sweet buffs with the "Island Spirits" lot trait
    - The "Volcanic Activity" lot trait is apparently exciting (I haven't even played on a lot with Volcanic Activity yet, haha :lol: — thanks @wickichick!)
    - Sunbathe (Could you do this before Island Living? (I don't know))
    - Live along the freakin' ocean; have a house (or visit lots) that are semi-submersed underwater
    - Travel around by boats
    - Really sweet new fish, if you're into fishing or aquariums
    - Pretty new collectibles (seashells), if you're into that sorta thing
    - There's more that I'm forgetting at this moment.
    Post edited by sketches on
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    @sketches...you could not sunbathe prior to island living ...it didn't come with weather...I love your list of activities because there is so much including the island conservation career ...my sims like to have aquariums to house fish they catch in various locations as life drags them along haha....you could enjoy the nature of the volcanoes or go to the island and experience having one...isn't that in lot traits too? i think so..i think you have listed it all but i will keep checking back ..great list of things to do!!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Sulani has actually turned out to be one of my favorite worlds. I like the technical world in 4 more than 3's, it's beautiful, but I 100% understand why you would want underwater gameplay instead (plus I had more than one private island to choose from in 3, which I miss). Swimming is fairly fun for me, though.

So, beyond enjoying the mermaid life state, a lot of the time I like to play an off the grid family in Sulani. I think in functioned fairly well in the conservation area anyway, but add EL pack items and it really rounds out well. Plus if you live there you can feel the effects of conservation first hand and do not have to touch the career.

Maybe I just like being close to virtual nature, but the scenic surroundings and little wild touches I find very appealing for off the grid play. I loved and dearly missed Sims Castaway, and this is as close as I have gotten since Castaway stories. (I expected more from the homage items in 3 and was kind of disappointed. I spent most of my time on a houseboat in that world.)

This all being said, I do not typically visit Sulani. I have to live there to really enjoy it.

Wait so does it mean that I can clean up the Island with a bunch of Sim Teenagers, and it will still turn to green without the Need of Joining the Career?
    babajayne wrote: »
    I did something kinda fun on that private island in the volcanic neighborhood. Ever watch Naked & Afraid?

I made 2 sims with just undies as all their clothing options, and had them go nude whenever possible. I gave them a garbage can, a camp fire, and a woohoo/nap bush. I took away the rest of their money. They had to live off food they found by digging through the sand, catching fish and eating that (I didn’t allow them to roast anything else but fish) and they could swim across the water to pick harvestables but they weren’t allowed to plant them. They gained hygiene by swimming in the waterfall, swimming in general, or showering in the rain. I wanted to see how long they would last. It was too easy there.

Then I started over, moving them into the area where all those tiny islands are... there’s a peninsula nearby that I cleared for them. I didn’t allow them to go into the mainland at all, they had to survive from one plant that came up on one of the little islands, fish, or trash. It was really fun!

I have never tried to play a nature type lifestyle in The Sims before. I will defonetly check this out! Thank you!!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Best way is to try and combine it with other gameplay, like an island rags to riches, or living off the grid in a tent and cooking all your sims meals with a campfire, opening an island restaurant, etc etc. Also its best to live in the town area as then you can see and attend all the festivals going on up there as for some reason the game never notifies about them.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sulani is the world where my sims enjoy more the neighbourhood.

In other worlds i occasionally take my sims to a playground or for a jog but in Sulani they sunbath almost all year, they swim, they dive, they make sandcastles, they drive boats and water zips, they have a cave to visit, a waterfall... all of this without loading screens.

I wish all neighbourhoods where so full of activities as those in Sulani.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Wait so does it mean that I can clean up the Island with a bunch of Sim Teenagers, and it will still turn to green without the Need of Joining the Career?

Yes. Be warned, it will take an eternity, every Sim makes a difference to the conservation status with things like cleaning up trash and releasing endangered fish instead of keeping them.

The career makes it easier and faster and I really like IL's version of NAPs for conservation (coconut tree rebates, restricted fishing, etc.), but it is not required.

I think there is some stuff still around from when IL first released that talked about it if you are still unsure, but in my own experience I have moved a bunch of mermaids out there and had one consistently clean up the beach. The area leveled up after a while.
    Post edited by Calico45 on
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I have added a nightclub and lounge to sulani. Those are places my sims like to visit and then they will travel to Sulani to do so. I also have a spa there which is really nice! My recommendation is to make it your own by altering the lots.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I have a mod that turns Sulani into a destination world.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I love living in Sulani.

A castaway-challenge on the little island.

Off the-grid is great, especially now that it can be combined with EL.

A fisherman who fishes and has a small sailing boat.

Personally I prefer living out on the more isolated lots.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The beautiful Island is so perfect for my:
    Ariel (Mermaid)
    Adam & Eve (Prehistoric)
    Nya Sierra (African Princess)
    Prairie Creek Northern Canadian Native sims
    Bambi Summer(Beach Bunny)
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Island Living was a pretty expansion pack for me but I don;t find the gameplay that interesting compared to TS3 IP. I rarely visit in Sulani because of that. To those who Enjoy the pack, What are some underrated features out there and How do you get the most of Island Living?

I partly used it by accident, so what do I know?

First, a nonplayed sim who showed up at some apartments in San Myshuno, was a mermaid who was moved to Sulani.

Later, I was told about an evil professor in DU. I tracked her down and moved her to the house near the vulcano in Sulani.

Most of the time, I use it as a destination area for visits and play the premade households. To me, a new world is always good.

On the other hand, that is not all as Sulani also came with new seeds and new recipes including coconuts and pineapples.

• randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    I find that I have my sims interact with the world outside their house more in Sulani. I also just delete the pre-made sims, They seem a little off the mark when it comes to what Polynesians look like. Besides, its the only world that makes sense for Mermaids...so I leave it for just mermaid sims. Human, vampire, spellcaster, and alien sims can literally live anywhere, the best part of mermaids is the swimmable oceans of Sulani ... otherwise the just swim in circles in a swimming pool. I also tend to keep their lives simple, monetarily that is, simple homes, lots of outdoor activities. all paid for with the seashells they collect. They focus on friends, music, food and beverage. I can sometimes have trouble keeping them thin and in shape...I often just let them be fat and happy.