Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wish numbers not counting?

Hi everyone, after seeing this 'feature' (?) pop up a couple times, I started wondering if this was actually a feature or just an oversight. My sims get wishes involving numbers like 'Create 2 trait chips', 'Create 5 traits chips', 'Create 2 plumbots' etc. But why, oh why, do the previous numbers not count? My sim created a plumbot whereafter she got the wish to create 2, but the first one doesn't count? Same thing with the trait chips. My sim created 2 (or 3, not sure) trait chips and fulfilled the corresponding wish, in response to that she got the same wish but this time about 5 chips. The previous 2 (or 3) didn't count.

This seems highly illogical to me, because it sounds like the sim wants to create 5 chips (or 2 plumbots) in total, not 5 chips from this point on. This behaviour annoys me quite a bit and I was wondering if anyone had a fix/mod for it.

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Do you fulfill all your sims' wishes? I cancel any that annoy me or don't fit what I believe they would actually "want" to do. By granting those wishes to create chips or plumbots you will drive yourself crazy because they will only trigger more wishes in the same vein. Some of the wish strings are plain silly and best ignored unless you want your sim exclusively doing one thing! :|
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited July 2020
    I haven't encountered what you are speaking of yet, but I have accepted wishes with counts, where I didn't carefully read the whole wish. In some cases it will specify exactly what kind of chip you need to make, or other caveats that may be required.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @Mikezumi No, I don't grant all wishes. These wishes fit my sims, but I didn't expect the previous numbers to not count when I granted them. 😅 It happens with quite a few wishes but not with 'Have 5 kids' for example. Because it would make no sense for the wish to mean: Have 5 kids from NOW on instead of have 5 kids in total. Other wishes should be like that too.

@blacksand That's not the problem I'm having. It goes from 'create a trait chip' to 'create 2 trait chips' to 'create 5 trait chips' but the previous chips don't count for the total which seems off to me.
    Yes, that doesn't seem intuitive. Like when my sims roll wishes to break more boards it specifically says "break x more boards" which does make sense.
    @Mikezumi Exactly. So when I saw the 'make 5 trait chips' wish pop up I sighed because I had to make five more? Or when I created the plumbot, I suddenly had to make two more? What, why? If you wanted another one, sure. But you've decided you want two more already?
    Imagine if wishes to have 5 or 10 children worked that way! My sim houses would be bursting at the seams! :D
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @blacksand That's not the problem I'm having. It goes from 'create a trait chip' to 'create 2 trait chips' to 'create 5 trait chips' but the previous chips don't count for the total which seems off to me.

Ah ... Sorry, My Bad! :D
    I never worried about having to make 'more' of anything.
    And ... It doesn't matter if you have a Bot Emporium, because you can always sell or consign whatever extra you have on hand.

@BlackSand It takes a really long time to make nanites, reverse engineer them for resources and make trait chips. That's why I started being annoyed by the numbers not counting. It doesn't make sense in the context the wishes pop up in. Selling things I don't need wasn't my worry either.
    edited July 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @BlackSand It takes a really long time to make nanites, reverse engineer them for resources and make trait chips. That's why I started being annoyed by the numbers not counting. It doesn't make sense in the context the wishes pop up in. Selling things I don't need wasn't my worry either.

You know you can always find a park in your town and add a few nanite spawners. <3

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Duvelina - Whether it's deemed logical or not, I would have to say this is just the way these things are designed. Suppose the wish were to be to make 5 perfect meals or read 10 books? I don't think any of us would really expect perfect meals our sim has created or books read prior to that wish having been rolled to count towards the total, otherwise the wishes in many cases would not be meaningful as they might be satisfied through routine daily activities before they were even drawn.

Somewhere in between less persistent things like meals/books and more persistent things like the number of children/grandchildren a sim has, or maybe the number of skills they have mastered or the number of university degrees they have obtained as these are things you can't ordinarily take away from a sim, I can see where a level of annoyance may creep in. But that's really a matter of interpretation on the part of the player (I think).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited July 2020
    As it doesn't specify which ones, just make the really cheap nanites and make trait chips that use "any nanite", and it's quite quick and painless. It isn't necessarily a good investment of your time though. It gets more complicated if you need to make specific trait chips, like the sentience one, or - my personal "favorites" - those that touch on emotions. I really dislike having to grow crystal plants, and I try to buy the ingredients, if possible.

I guess not all professions can have the quite ridiculous happiness payouts like the writing career. Where wishes also stack properly, so if it says "write 50 novels", it shows the 47 your sim already wrote.
    edited July 2020
    Turjan wrote: »
    I guess not all professions can have the quite ridiculous happiness payouts like the writing career. Where wishes also stack properly, so if it says "write 50 novels", it shows the 47 your sim already wrote.

I think the major difference with the Writing Career is that the game keeps a record of every book you write.
    Although it keeps a count of chips too.

I don't know though ... Could just be game mechanics.

igazor wrote: »
    @Duvelina - Whether it's deemed logical or not, I would have to say this is just the way these things are designed. Suppose the wish were to be to make 5 perfect meals or read 10 books? I don't think any of us would really expect perfect meals our sim has created or books read prior to that wish having been rolled to count towards the total, otherwise the wishes in many cases would not be meaningful as they might be satisfied through routine daily activities before they were even drawn.

Somewhere in between less persistent things like meals/books and more persistent things like the number of children/grandchildren a sim has, or maybe the number of skills they have mastered or the number of university degrees they have obtained as these are things you can't ordinarily take away from a sim, I can see where a level of annoyance may creep in. But that's really a matter of interpretation on the part of the player (I think).

LOL ,,, Hence the quandary ... Do you figure out how to solve the problem, or fix it to your advantage?
    Then you have to measure exactly how far you actually want to fix the problem and still have some kind of balance.

@Turjan Yeah, since I don't want my sim to go to the future necessarily, those crystal ones seem to be out of the question.

I didn't know the writing ones worked like that. That sounds great. I wish most wants were programmed like that.

@igazor I don't think that's my qualm with it. I'm more so talking about wishes following up on each other. A random 5 perfect meal wish, okay, sure, let's start at 0. But getting a wish to create one trait chip, then two, then five without any of the previous ones counting is illogical to me. It would also be the case if my sim had to cook a perfect meal, then five but the first meal didn't count. The sequence of events implies that the total number should count but it doesn't.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited July 2020
    The nanite spawners from buydebug that @BlackSand mentioned are always an option, and of course you will find crystal plants there, too. My custom Science Lab in SV also has a bot store integrated, so my sims can just buy what they need. I don't remember whether it was due to a mod, but the store's inventory renews quite quickly. At least in my attempt at this, selling bots that were built with bought trait chips still made a profit, as long as the bot quality is right, and more trait chips works better than few.

Edit: Avoid the "fear of humans" one though :lol: