Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you ever remember a major update/rework to past DLC?

Some of the discussions I have seen and been a part of have gotten me thinking about this; do you ever remember there being a large update or rework to DLC content? Because I do not. Huge things like toddlers (and the early game update like pools and ghosts) were always base game. Even when they updated smaller things like the photography skill they made it base game first.

I suppose it does not matter to the core question, but the discussions that made me think about this are DLC for DLC discussions. For the record, I am neutral to the concept at base. Bad content = no purchase. Good content = purchase. When I see conversations asking about whether or not you would pay for a new pack elaborating on content we have, I see a lot of it devolving into saying it should be a free update. While I'd love that as much as the next person, it brings me back to the titular question: do you ever remember a major update/rework to past DLC?

Do you ever remember a major update/rework to past DLC? 35 votes

I have and have reason to believe there will be more. (Check the comments.)
2%
my1helopilot 1 vote
I have and do not believe there will be more. (Check the comments.)
2%
SERVERFRA 1 vote
I have not and have a reason to believe we will. (Check comments.)
11%
Akl500Pbabajaynestilljustme2HopeyStarr 4 votes
I have not and do not believe there will be more. (Check comments.)
82%
bshag4lvwinkeljohn78Colorist40sam123CorkysPetalsAuroraBorealliswickichickMariefoxprice83drake_mccartyfruitsbasket101LizzychicagoLustianiciaduhboy2u2KhrisstynemikawagfoxybillybixtersLogisitcsadduapinaEnkiSchmidt 29 votes

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    They almost never update packs after they release.
    Some examples that come to mind are Sims' reactions to celebrities from Get Famous, and building your own apartments in City Living. They never changed either of those feature even though people complained.
    They did update swimming for Britechester after Island Living, but that's the only world they've changed it for.
    Unfortunately, I doubt they'll update the features with Eco Lifestyle (annoying NAPs, Eco Meter) unless there are a lot of complaints.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    They almost never update packs after they release.
    Some examples that come to mind are Sims' reactions to celebrities from Get Famous, and building your own apartments in City Living. They never changed either of those feature even though people complained.
    They did update swimming for Britechester after Island Living, but that's the only world they've changed it for.
    Unfortunately, I doubt they'll update the features with Eco Lifestyle (annoying NAPs, Eco Meter) unless there are a lot of complaints.

Island living came out before University, or do you mean Brindleton Bay?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I just meant to say that they made it so you can swim in the canal in Britechester for the University pack, and that's the only pack after Island Living that you have swimmable oceans in. I don't think you can swim in Brindleton Bay?
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Personally, I would not really count that as an update because it was a newer pack/world. More crosspack compatibility since they did not go back and change something we already had.

Brindleton Bay, though... I remember something about Brindleton Bay waters being in patch notes, but for the life of me cannot remember the specifics. I do not think it is swimmable like IL water, though, but I have not exactly taken a mermaid out and tried. I guess I would have expected to hear more about it if you could.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The only thing I can think of is how the Moschino pack updated photography, which originally came with GTW. But they actually patched photography in as a base game skill well before that, so it was no longer just for a DLC at that point. That's one reason I don't complain when they do things like make a base game hot tub, because without that hot tubs would never get any future development.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Yeah, I don't really remember something like that, only fixes at most (Dine Out is still buggy though).
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited July 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I just meant to say that they made it so you can swim in the canal in Britechester for the University pack, and that's the only pack after Island Living that you have swimmable oceans in. I don't think you can swim in Brindleton Bay?

No, you can't. But I thought Britechester came with Open Water, not updated to have it added later.

I haven't been part of this community long enough to tell if other packs have had a major update, but it doesn't seem to have happened since I started playing last spring.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have not and have a reason to believe we will. (Check comments.)
    I don’t believe they “will” but I believe they “may”...
    I don’t know why they would ask about it in the community survey if they weren’t considering it.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i wanted to say that where i never have ..i have reason to believe ..but not really certain that i have ...however babajayne makes me re think that because it is true ..why would they ask....i doubt they will do much with eco living as well but i have wished they would ..there is some very positive things the expansion offers however a few that i could not live with should i suffer them so i didn't pick up that one...it is always interesting to see however what does happen and i like reading what others think
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    They like to take items that were originally included in packs we had to pay for and make them free for folks with the base game. That never sat right with me.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I have and do not believe there will be more. (Check the comments.)
    Maybe yes or no.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Ok so I'm just gonna quote my other post on another topic on this answer:
    Sigh. I'm disappointed. There's NK coming up in a week (go go spend your money) and what I see here is that previous packs have huge issues (eg. movies from Movie Hangout completely broken; butler from Vintage Glamour broken; not to mention EL being overall a mess - but that's so recent they might address it someday :unamused: ) that they seem to completely ignore.

For real, guys. You expect me to buy a new stuff pack (which, btw, I am hugely excited about as an idea, don't get me wrong) when the M.O. seems to be that as long as you pay for it everything is fine. It doesn't matter if the older stuff gets broken, because they already have the money and can get back to the drawing table to make some new stuff for new upcoming packs. Sigh.

I just want to play what I have paid for. I didn't sign up for buy stuff pack -> play for a while happy-go-lucky yay -> omg there is a bug -> report on AHQ -> have some "not in any way affiliated with EA"-person answer -> wait for a fix -> don't get a fix.

Thank heavens they fixed the pets and seem to be working on the EL issues. I also understand that there has been some major issues on some simmers games after June patch and EL release (even game-breaking ones) which ofc should be the first ones to get fixed, but it seems 🌺🌺🌺🌺 (excuse me for the language) to push out a new release when there's these huge bugs still appearing. The least they could do would be to include in the patch notes that "we are aware there are still issues with X and Y and we are currently working on them".

WHY would I pay for Nifty Knitting if there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work a) upon release or b) if it does work upon release but stops working later no one will ever fix the issue? The old packs are left behind to die, that's how it feels like. That's just plain wrong: the whole point of TS is that you can combine your packs and broaden your game/world with new stuff. Sucks for you that the stuff you get just doesn't work. But hey, simmers have good imaginations, maybe we can all play pretend that everything is working fine...

The original post can be found here and I think the above pretty much states my opinion on the subject. Sorry for the OT included, but I don't have the time atm to change it fully to fit this topic.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    They never have and never will. They did make a survey alluding to this but we have yet to see any action.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Apparently some major changes were made to vampire behavior after the pack was released.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    Apparently some major changes were made to vampire behavior after the pack was released.

Oh really? What did they change? Or are you just talking about the recent toning down of the "vampire night attacks" like they did with alien abductions?
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    They like to take items that were originally included in packs we had to pay for and make them free for folks with the base game. That never sat right with me.
    Yeah, takes away from the packs' value.

For example Perfect Patio has no unique gameplay item now cause they gave us a hot tub for the base game. And it being the SP with the least items makes it even worse.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Get Together’s main new features were upgraded base game features (nightclubs, bars, social groups). Not exactly an improved DLC but it was basically a patch they charged $40 for. Windenburg was originally planned for the base game too fwiw
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Plenty of packs and opportunities to introduce cars and revisit baby gameplay. Neither have been done, and it’s been 6 years.